Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not really following what’s confusing with the text

It either means
Good lol or Good Lots

It’s a bog standard drunk text IMO short and straight to the point as you can’t see straight enough to type a longer one on your phone
Exactly. And it’s not like we needed any further confirmation that he was really drunk, but it is what you’d expect.

Can a drunk individual, carrying a $1000 phone, walk through a homeless encampment at night without losing their phone?
Yes of course. IMO, the few people whose instinct is to rob and kill people (versus possibly shoplifting and other forms of theft) are very unlikely to be living in a homeless encampment. Firstly, they'll be able to make enough money to live somewhere, 2ndly, they wouldn''t be tolerated in the camp because they'd have been robbing and killing other homeless people.

JMO

I think probably because of this incident, people will want some kind of assurance that an extremely inebriated individual is not going to simply be turned loose in a city they don’t know. One wonders also what would have been the case had Riley had a vehicle and keys. It would seem very dangerous for everyone to expel an intoxicated person to go careening off in a car.
He isn't the first and sadly won't be the last person to befall this (likely) outcome. It has happened countless times in the past, and undoubtedly will continue to happen in the future. It would be another liability for bars to place patrons in ubers, cabs and the like. If they were to have an accident, be robbed, raped, etc., while in the uber/cab, who do you think would get the blame there? They would come back on the bartender or business that called and placed them there. Anything could happen. It is frankly up to individuals BEFORE they go out and partake in adult activities to have a plan of action and stick to it. Have a drink, have 3 if you must, but know your limit. Know how you are getting home and take a sober pal/DD with you. JMO

I agree, the best case scenario would have been his friends getting him home safely. But his friends were probably very intoxicated as well. None of them were capable of making wise decisions.

IMO. realistically it was the Bar that should have been responsible for Riley's safety after they determined he had had too much to drink and kicked him out of the bar. Where did they think this highly intoxicated and compromised person would go? They just wanted him out of their bar.

Bars make high profits from their liquor sales, they should also be responsible to get their highly intoxicated patrons home or to the relative safety of a jail cell.

Just my opinion, hoping Riley is found soon.
I think adults have to take some responsibility for their own actions if I’m honest.

Are any of the videos from BEFORE he fell? If they are all after, let’s take the thought of him being intoxicated out of the mix and replace it with him having a serious head injury. If you watch the videos with only that thought in mind, it would also explain him stumbling, looking down a lot, not seeming to know where to go, etc. He could have walked anywhere if that’s the case and possibly collapsed at some point, not waking back up.
In the Brian Entin interview linked above a short time ago, the family friend he interviewed said his family was shown other footage but it was closer to the bar location. Unfortunately he didn’t elaborate as to how he appeared in those clips.

I’m not really following what’s confusing with the text

It either means
Good lol or Good Lots

It’s a bog standard drunk text IMO short and straight to the point as you can’t see straight enough to type a longer one on your phone
Good lols....good laughs.
the L is under the P on the iPhone keyboard. Easy to press wrongly, even when you're perfectly sober.

In regards to the text... Definitely not sure if it matters, but I wonder if he was using his voice recognition talk to text on his watch and said "good, lost" and it registered as lops. It's the only way I can get lop to show up unless I'm tap texting and not swipe texting. I'm sure it's a crazy long shot, and even if possible why didn't he say not so good, so yeah, just throwing it out there.

I've been following this case slightly. Hopefully RS will be found safe; however, unfortunately the more time passes the less likely there will be a good outcome here.

In the very brief video of him in post #114 (also making the rounds online), he does not appear to be extremely impaired. He's not staggering all over the street; he's not slurring his words; etc. Sure, he may definitely be too drunk to drive - but he also seems to be functional.

I've been reading a lot of criticism online of his friends for letting him leave alone & of the bar for throwing him out. However, I don't like the blaming game here. At some point we as adults have to take responsibility for our own actions.

Again, hopefully he will be found safe.

Last edited:
I agree, the best case scenario would have been his friends getting him home safely. But his friends were probably very intoxicated as well. None of them were capable of making wise decisions.

IMO. realistically it was the Bar that should have been responsible for Riley's safety after they determined he had had too much to drink and kicked him out of the bar. Where did they think this highly intoxicated and compromised person would go? They just wanted him out of their bar.

Bars make high profits from their liquor sales, they should also be responsible to get their highly intoxicated patrons home or to the relative safety of a jail cell.

Just my opinion, hoping Riley is found soon.
But this bar only served him one drink.

IMO, they probably refused to serve him after that, and only brought him water to see if he'd sober up.

There are standards of conduct in a bar (especially a nice one that serves food and has live music), same as any place. They'll throw you out if you behave badly and spoil the atmosphere for other patrons.

I do not agree that any venue - especially not a restaurant that served him one drink, is responsible for his safe return to his hotel.

JMO

I think adults have to take some responsibility for their own actions if I’m honest.
I agree with you that adults need to take ultimate responsibly for their actions. But despite the best of intentions, we all make mistakes.

I also think that there is responsibility for Bar Owners when they know their patrons are over served. If Bar Owners feel strongly enough to remove them from their establishment, they should make sure this patron has someplace safe to go, rather then turning them out on the streets in a very compromised vulnerable state. An easy solution would be to call LE.

If I understand this situation correctly, this young man was not even able to hold himself in an upright position and was badly stumbling when he was ejected from this bar. A responsible sober adult should have stepped in, whether that was a Bar Bouncer or the Bar calling LE.

This World is not perfect, but we certainly should all step in for others when we see them in any compromising situation.

Maybe there is a lesson here, if you ever see anyone struggling, don't just walk by. Maybe helping a person is as easy as a 911 call.

JMO

I've been following this case slightly. Hopefully RS will be found safe; however, unfortunately the more time passes the less likely there will be a good outcome here.

In the very brief video of him in post #114 (also making the rounds online), he does not appear to be extremely impaired. He's not staggering all over the street; he's not slurring his words; etc. Sure, he may definitely be too drunk to drive - but he also seems to be functional.

I've been reading a lot of criticism online of his friends for letting him leave alone & of the bar for throwing him out. However, I don't like the blaming game here. Sure, maybe things should have been handled differently. That being said, at some point we as adults have to take responsibility for our own actions.

Again, hopefully he will be found safe.
I agree with your point regarding the friends and the bar.

Whilst on the CCTV with the police officer on post 114 he doesn't look so bad - earlier footage from literally minutes before shows Riley all over the place in one clip he falls onto the floor and appears to bang his head quite hard - I think it’s more likely that the police officer panicked Riley a little so he was concentrating to act more sober in that moment so he didn’t get arrested.

I agree with you that adults need to take ultimate responsibly for their actions. But despite the best of intentions, we all make mistakes.

I also think that there is responsibility for Bar Owners when they know their patrons are over served. If Bar Owners feel strongly enough to remove them from their establishment, they should make sure this patron has someplace safe to go, rather then turning them out on the streets in a very compromised vulnerable state. An easy solution would be to call LE.

If I understand this situation correctly, this young man was not even able to hold himself in an upright position and was badly stumbling when he was ejected from this bar. A responsible sober adult should have stepped in, whether that was a Bar Bouncer or the Bar calling LE.

This World is not perfect, but we certainly should all step in for others when we see them in any compromising situation.

Maybe there is a lesson here, if you ever see anyone struggling, don't just walk by. Maybe helping a person is as easy as a 911 call.

JMO
I don’t know what the situation is like in America but in Manchester, UK if LE had to deal with every drunk customer that was removed from a bar then the crime industry would be a free for all as they’d never get anything else done.

I don’t know what the situation is like in America but in Manchester, UK if LE had to deal with every drunk customer that was removed from a bar then the crime industry would be a free for all as they’d never get anything else done.
I appreciate your opinion. It does make a difference in our opinions based on we have different backgrounds. I grew up in the US, you in Manchester UK.
Thank you for sharing.
JMO

Whilst on the CCTV with the police officer on post 114 he doesn't look so bad - earlier footage from literally minutes before shows Riley all over the place in one clip he falls onto the floor and appears to bang his head quite hard - I think it’s more likely that the police officer panicked Riley a little so he was concentrating to act more sober in that moment so he didn’t get arrested.

Thanks for the clarification. I just saw 2 other clips (very poor quality) showing RS walking aimlessly on several sidewalks. In these, he definitely did look impaired.

So, yes - I agree that he may have been a lot more careful in the post #114 clip - due to justifiably being concerned about possibly getting a "public intoxication" charge, etc. This also brings to mind seeing heavily intoxicated people moving "slowly" (for lack of a better word) so that their impairment isn't as obvious.

Last edited:
Like everything else, most law enforcement agencies in the US are understaffed and underfunded these days. I don't think they'd consider potentially receiving hundreds of "drunken patron" calls daily as necessitating an emergency. People with true emergencies would never receive assistance if that were the case.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member