Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I’m curious about… we know Luke’s Bar was not the group’s first bar stop that night and we know Riley was turned away from entering the bar across the street after getting the boot from Luke’s… so with that I can’t help but wonder if Riley had gotten the group booted from any of their earlier bar visits that night.

I’m just trying to imagine a game plan scenario amongst the boys that makes sense. It was 9pm so too early to call it a night but their friend gets booted. A buzzkill for sure. That Riley attempted to enter the bar across the way makes me think finding a new bar was perhaps the plan of order: Riley would go off to find them a new bar, let the group know and they’d follow suit.

We know the guys did not stay back at Luke’s to close out their tab because they didn’t arrive back to the hotel until after midnight. And we know a follow-up call (or text) was made between one of the guys and Riley at some point with Riley allegedly telling them he was heading back to the hotel (that this didn’t align with CTV footage documenting his route would only be learned after). I wouldn’t say I’m disbelieving of what the guys claim to have been relayed in their last correspondence with Riley but I can understand if the alternative were true (they sent him off to find a new bar to catch up with him leading to his disappearance) and they were scared to admit it. Not their fault either way.

JMO

Last edited:
According to Riley Strains cousin, Riley owns a Michael Kors wallet which she and other members of the family seem to believe he was carrying at the time of his disappearance. They didn't say whether this information was corroborated by his friends or not though. So the CC was in this wallet?

According to Riley Strains cousin, Riley owns a Michael Kors wallet which she and other members of the family seem to believe he was carrying at the time of his disappearance. They didn't say whether this information was corroborated by his friends or not though. So the CC was in this wallet?
It seemed his card was separate from the wallet, having been found alone. He may have been keeping it in a pants pocket with his phone, for easy access. And probably dropped it.

It seemed his card was separate from the wallet, having been found alone. He may have been keeping it in a pants pocket with his phone, for easy access. And probably dropped it.
Did he have a wallet

Eventually they do....It depends on many factors. Water temps, body fat, currents, debris in the water, level of decomposition, etc. There are many factors as to when and where a drowned body will surface, but it is never usually immediate. It could be in the same general area, but in moving bodies of water, it could be miles away. MOO
I had a friend go into the Mississippi River on March 22. Texas Equusearch came and used sonar to find his body under a bunch of debris, but there was a big storm before his body could be recovered from that location, and his body broke free and went missing again. His poor mother just wanted to bring him home and grieve. He ultimately surfaced on May 19, not that far from where he initially went in. I think there are so many factors that can affect this.

Something I’m curious about… we know Luke’s Bar was not the group’s first bar stop that night and we know Riley was turned away from entering the bar across the street after getting the boot from Luke’s… so with that I can’t help but wonder if Riley had gotten the group booted from any of their earlier bar visits that night.
I’m trying to find where I read that the group had been asked to leave another bar earlier. When I find it, I’ll update.

They’d be liable if they allowed him to stay, but not for making him leave.

They did everything by the book, as far as we know, and even that family friend seems to concede that something went on and the bar made the decision based on whatever that was.

The city could always pass some sort of ordnance or put in place some sort of program where drunk people are taken home, but I don’t know what that would look like.

Especially when you’re talking about a mega bar where people are going to be forced to leave quite frequently.

The reality is that thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of people are ejected from bars every year and they either make their way home or sleep it off somewhere. The Riley's of the world who go missing after getting kicked out of a bar is probably less than 1%. Stats could probably support what it would cost to introduce an ordnance that every drunk person be driven home, or back to their hotel. The costs would be astronomical. If bar patrons are okay with paying double for their drinks then it might get passed. I don't like the term 'nanny state' but that's what an ordnance would be in this case, IMO. Personal responsibility be damned.

A lot of volunteers helping. I wonder if any fraternity brothers are assisting?

I hope not. Searchers, especially near water, are trained. You don't want friends or family finding him at this stage especially if he has been in the water all this time as seems the most likely scenario. I am sure many are already feeling guilty and will already be trying to come to terms with this tragedy.

In my city, there is a popular tow company which will provide their services to drunk patrons during major holidays. The vehicle and patrons are only be towed to the person’s residence. Our TV stations are great at advertising this free service. I would think that the majority of these rides are generated by the college students who party in our downtown area.
I went to Indiana University for undergrad, and we had a service called the Bacchus Bus that would shuttle students around campus/home for free, especially on high-volume party weekends. It has surely saved countless lives by eliminating drunk driving and situations like these...

I went to Indiana University for undergrad, and we had a service called the Bacchus Bus that would shuttle students around campus/home for free, especially on high-volume party weekends. It has surely saved countless lives by eliminating drunk driving and situations like these...
At the University I went to, we had a student group of volunteers that ran a service called CarPool. They had a fleet of vehicles that were donated by local dealerships/people. There was a local phone number you called and they sent a CarPool vehicle to pick you up and drive you home. I remember they had rules about it always being two sober students doing the ride and always one male and one female.

I hope not. Searchers, especially near water, are trained. You don't want friends or family finding him at this stage especially if he has been in the water all this time as seems the most likely scenario. I am sure many are already feeling guilty and will already be trying to come to terms with this tragedy.
Yes, all true.

I had a friend go into the Mississippi River on March 22. Texas Equusearch came and used sonar to find his body under a bunch of debris, but there was a big storm before his body could be recovered from that location, and his body broke free and went missing again. His poor mother just wanted to bring him home and grieve. He ultimately surfaced on May 19, not that far from where he initially went in. I think there are so many factors that can affect this.
That is so very sad. I'm so sorry. Love to you and your friend's family.

At the University I went to, we had a student group of volunteers that ran a service called CarPool. They had a fleet of vehicles that were donated by local dealerships/people. There was a local phone number you called and they sent a CarPool vehicle to pick you up and drive you home. I remember they had rules about it always being two sober students doing the ride and always one male and one female.
I think in recent years lots of universities have tried to provide transportation for impaired students. Sometimes local donations are made as in the above post. Other costs (vehicle insurance, gas, maintenance) may be paid for by "student life" fees all students pay. But RS wasn't a local student. And even if a bar was willing, I don't see how he or any other drunk patron could be forced into an Uber, etc. And what about the bar's liability if something went wrong during the ride?

An earlier post said RS "wasn't allowed" to wait outside for his friends. I've not read that in the MSM, but depending on how long the friends stayed inside, he probably would have passed out on the street anyway (based on the video of him walking) And he probably wouldn't have wanted to do that anyway.

Definitely a terrible tragedy as it's pretty unlikely he's alive. But I don't see how changing laws re: bar responsibilities would help.
MOO

The reality is that thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of people are ejected from bars every year and they either make their way home or sleep it off somewhere. The Riley's of the world who go missing after getting kicked out of a bar is probably less than 1%.
Stats could probably support what it would cost to introduce an ordnance that every drunk person be driven home, or back to their hotel. The costs would be astronomical. If bar patrons are okay with paying double for their drinks then it might get passed. I don't like the term 'nanny state' but that's what an ordnance would be in this case, IMO. Personal responsibility be damned. So it's saver to drink and plays games online like here, especially we have all opportunities for this.
although most of them make it home safely or find another place to spend the night.
Although this is a real problem, a person is adequate, positive, responsible, a little too much and everything went wrong....

I live near the St. Lawrence River and there are many little tourists towns along there and in the summer, there are lots of people walking from bar to bar; however, their lodging may not be in the "downtown" area which is directly on the river banks. There is a local non-profit that operates a van who gives rides that is a free ride or donation based/pay-what-you-can situation. Chug Wagon This is in a town with a population of 1,700 people. In the summer they do 150+ rides a week!

It's too bad that a city known for night life doesn't have something like this!
Treasure Island and Gulfport in Florida have similar operations. Sort of like a little open air tram that's free but most people tip the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg