Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This story at Riley Strain is so heart breaking.
I have a son the same age and he does similar going out getting drunk etc
Where we live, one night my wife got a call from a street pastor who found jack drunk lying outside a nightclub.
Told us where he was and we went and got him. Since then Jack has never got in that state again. He still says to this day he was spiked!!! My thoughts go to Riley's family and I pray there is still a chance of a happy outcome...

Updated MAR 21, 2024
[...]

Chris Salisbury, an advocate for Nashville-area homeless, shared new details Wednesday about the shirt that Strain was last seen wearing with NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield.

Salisbury said he was able to go and find surveillance information based on the homeless community and discovered that a homeless man named Ross was wearing Strain’s shirt — which had vomit on it — said he found the clothing item on a railing. However, where Ross says he found it doesn’t add up, according to Salisbury.

Strain’s mother and stepfather Michelle and Chris Whiteid told Banfield it wasn’t new information, as they had heard that rumor prior. Strain’s stepfather said vomit was not visible on his shirt in bodycam footage from an officer who briefly interacted with the college student the night he disappeared.

[...]

My main takeaways for this video:

Famiy has seen the following on video:

• Interacted with cop 40 to 50 yds away from the Woodson bridge (no vomit visible)
  • Saw him walk from that point underneath the bridge
  • Saw him come out the other side
  • Even saw him jog a little bit until he went out of sight coming up on the James Robertson bridge
  • Approximately where that sign says 14’-3”, … is where Riley was last seen on video.
  • Time frame from crossing Church and Gay to the last time seen on video is less than 3 minutes.
So if he discarded the shirt at the Fort Nashborough with vomit on it, he would have had to go all the way back down there after he was last seen on video, without the same cameras picking him up (impossible unless maybe he was below the railing). Also, there was probably not enough time to do that before the time that his phone shut off.

So, if his shirt was really at Fort Nashborough, someone else put it there, either they found it discarded near the James Robinson bridge and discarded later at at Fort Nashborough, or they took it off of him.

JMO

Last edited:
With the footage of Riley running and falling and hitting his head I think he might have had a brain bleed and then vomited and became more confused and if he was near the river may have collapsed and tumbled in. A young man from my town was at a concert and was impaired and he ran into a pole with his head. He went back to his car to get something and when he didn’t come back his friends found him collapsed next to the car deceased . I think Riley may have suffered a similar fate . It looked like he hit the pole very hard. Hope they can find him soon.

IF he was kicked out of the bar for being wasted, I wish an employee of the bar would have insisted at least one of this friends leave with him to get him “home” safely. I wish one of his friends recognized the need.

IF people on the street saw him fall or puke, I wish someone would have approached him and tried to help, or get some attention to him.

I had a few (many?) nights like this when I was in my 20s (without cell phones) and I survived/wasn’t assaulted only because of others who cared in some instances, and pure luck in other instances.

I’ve been to Nashville twice, recently in the past year. Broadway is complete chaos. So many people, so many people under the influence, loud and crazy bars. Party buses (one with stripper poles). I witnessed car accidents. I saw a lot of cops. I just didn’t know how bar employees can keep up, frankly.

There’s no evidence at all those people have been dismissed.

There are way too many variables to determine even within several miles, where he ended up. That’s even if you knew exactly where he went in.

There are biological components, the possibility of him getting caught up on the bottom or elsewhere, water level changes, varying currents, etc.
well the fact they haven't tried to find the guy with the shirt tells me all I need to know.

Where does it say he crossed a bridge?? Can you provide a link?

Last time I checked, we're all only sharing our opinions! It's okay to have differenting opinions. Just my opinion?
I thought I just saw sa a report on that and that he possibly was seen on video that was sent to LE. I can't find it now. Sorry

I don't understand how we're blaming the bar, they only served him one drink and then refused to serve him anymore. They did exactly what they were supposed to do but unfortunately, his friends weren't ready to leave yet as it was only a little after 9:30pm. I have a 21 year old who has gotten himself kicked out of the same bar twice in the same evening and I never once blamed the bar for putting him out. It never even crossed my mind as he was past the point and that is a place of business and they can't have people like that there for many reasons and I completely get that. If people are planning on going out drinking, it is their responsibility to ensure they will have a safe way to get home at the end of the evening. I always tell my son he has to take care of himself and he shouldn't expect his friends or anyone else to have to babysit him when he drinks past the point. I personally don't believe this happened but, if someone did slip something in Riley's drink that night, then this situation becomes something totally different...
What this case and other recent ones like it have shown me is that young men are at risk too. We focus on young women with safety tips like not drinking something someone else gives you, keeping your drink covered, always using a buddy system, etc.
But I see that young males are also vulnerable, albeit statistically for different reasons. So they need to be inundated with safety tips as well- about watching their drinks to make sure no one puts something in it, using a buddy system, staying away from water, etc.

I’m so used to a world where women are the ones who need to be alert and aware of danger while men can afford to be less cautious. But for slightly different reasons, I see that’s not always the case. Maybe Riley’s tragedy will open up conversations that lead to less tragedies. I hope.

I really cannot imagine anyone, no matter how drunk, would try to get to the Cumberland River to wash anything. There's water that is more easily accessible. And the Cumberland River is not clean.

I know, drunk, but still...

Does anyone know if there are any old buildings in the area he could have gone into (maybe to sleep) and gotten trapped? Or buildings with outside doors to mechanical rooms?

I just saw about the text in an article. I have a hunch he was trying to swipe “got lost.”
JMO, but I feel strongly that he tried to type (or maybe even more likely speak), "good lots", because the text he was responding to asked him 2 questions, "how are you?" and "are you having fun?"

So he answered 2 questions:

"how are you?" with "good"

"having fun?" with "lots", typoing "lops".

(Or if speak-to-texting, "lots" wrongly sent as "lops".)

I really cannot imagine anyone, no matter how drunk, would try to get to the Cumberland River to wash anything. There's water that is more easily accessible. And the Cumberland River is not clean.

I know, drunk, but still...
Riley would not have intentionally gone down to the river or knowingly entered the river. That just makes no sense, I don’t care how drunk. If that’s where he ended up it was by accident or someone pushed or dragged him there. JMO

IF he was kicked out of the bar for being wasted, I wish an employee of the bar would have insisted at least one of this friends leave with him to get him “home” safely. I wish one of his friends recognized the need.

IF people on the street saw him fall or puke, I wish someone would have approached him and tried to help, or get some attention to him.

I had a few (many?) nights like this when I was in my 20s (without cell phones) and I survived/wasn’t assaulted only because of others who cared in some instances, and pure luck in other instances.

I’ve been to Nashville twice, recently in the past year. Broadway is complete chaos. So many people, so many people under the influence, loud and crazy bars. Party buses (one with stripper poles). I witnessed car accidents. I saw a lot of cops. I just didn’t know how bar employees can keep up, frankly.

Sending Riley back to the hotel safely is only part of the equation as he did vomit. Lots of deaths of folks due to choking on their own vomit while intoxicated and passed out.

The fact that the guy seems to have run off tells me all I need to know.
He might realize he F'ed up and took off not wanting to answer questions. I don't necessarily think anyone done anything to him but something happened. I just think LE should be interested in that, but I guess not.

Reactions: nao
Sending Riley back to the hotel safely is only part of the equation as he did vomit. Lots of deaths of folks due to choking on their own vomit while intoxicated and passed out.
Right! They could've got him back to the hotel and tucked in bed only for him to venture out on his own again! My roommate was notorious for doing this, after they had too much or got sick. They would call it their "second wind".

Does anyone know if there are any old buildings in the area he could have gone into (maybe to sleep) and gotten trapped? Or buildings with outside doors to mechanical rooms?
It’s been a few months since I’ve been down there but as one might imagine, it’s pretty secure. There is a parking garage that’s a bit seedy over by the Johnny Cash museum but Gay St is seedier. And obvious places for the authorities to check PLUS there would be video evidence of him popping into someplace like that.

IMO, he got into the river and didn’t make it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618