AMBER ALERT TN - Autistic teen Sebastian Wayne Drake Rogers, 15, missing in Hendersonville - Feb 27, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I agree with and it’s very common here, especially with minor children. I have used Mr. or Mrs. for in-laws too. I never thought much about it. ;) We were taught not to address an elder by their first name.
Yep, my kids call the other adults in their lives (aside from teachers- like our family friends and neighbors) Mrs. Bailey, Mrs. Lauren, Mr. Keith etc.

What kind of door on a single family home doesn't lock from the outside? I know apartment buildings have one-way emergency exit doors that don't have exterior handles, but I can't picture the type of door on a house that would only lock from the inside. Even a screen door that doesn't lock on the outside would have an interior door...?
Could be a sliding glass door leading to the backyard. Otherwise you got me. Most doors can be locked from either side.

What kind of door on a single family home doesn't lock from the outside? I know apartment buildings have one-way emergency exit doors that don't have exterior handles, but I can't picture the type of door on a house that would only lock from the inside. Even a screen door that doesn't lock on the outside would have an interior door...?

This confused me as well. Dead bolts can be locked by hand on one side but need a key for the other side. Could that be what is being referenced?

This I agree with and it’s very common here, especially with minor children. I have used Mr. or Mrs. for in-laws too. I never thought much about it. ;) We were taught not to address an elder by their first name.
Mr SS and I started dating at 16. His parents and grandparents, as were mine, were always Mr and Mrs, even after 40 plus years. They all tried/ask to have us call them by their first names. I just couldn't, it seemed so wrong.
I believe the step father was maybe introduced as "Mr Chris" during initial dating. It's very hard to change and especially for an autistic child, change doesn't come easy.

moo and raised in the south

Same in the north/northeast, but ours is even more "formal" because it's usually "Mr. Last Name/Mrs. Last Name" even until adulthood. I always found the "Mr. First Name" address in the South to be interesting!

It is peculiarly formal, even for the South.

I am from/grew up in multiple places in the South and have had multiple stepparents, none of whom I ever addressed with a title. I’ve also had a lot of friends with divorced parents, none of whom ever addressed their stepparents with a title. It might not be unheard of, but it’s definitely not common, not even in the South.

Definitely could see a situation where it’s what a child called a person who later became a stepparent early on and it becoming almost a term of habit/endearment but for the stepparent to demand the formal title (with a threat of violence inferred, it would seem) is definitely peculiar.

Just my experience.
Different experiences for sure. Very common where I live. However it works for Sebastian, I hope he is home soon.

I've now listened to the whole of this interview and I feel as I was witnessing a car crash in slow-motion.

It is well worth a listen. Maybe play it speeded up, as it's long. In addition to the stepdad meting out a belt 'punishment' trashing his stepson's belongings, and his odd laughter, my take-aways are:

- The stepdad was much more talkative in this interview than in others, more combative and also displayed contempt towards some of his stepson's behaviours (mimicking Sebastian's responses to being disciplined)
- Sebastian would wear SOCKS to take out the trash (per his mom)
- The stepdad has been married FIVE times
- Listeners messaged in asking about 'the story' with one of his wives
- The stepdad discussed his previous encounters with CPS/DCS ("in two states")
- If I heard this correctly, there are TWO other doors in the house, but stepdad says Sebastian would not have exited through those because THEY DO NOT LOCK FROM THE OUTSIDE??
- The stepdad wants to thank everyone, including those who are spreading rumours or who think he and his wife did it

I am even more scared for Sebastian than before. I'd like the Behaviour Panel guys to analyse this interview.
<modsnip: off topic>

there are TWO other doors in the house, but stepdad says Sebastian would not have exited through those because THEY DO NOT LOCK FROM THE OUTSIDE

This interview triggered my PTSD. I cannot go back to the interviews, att. I wasn't sure what exactly I was watching and hearing. You are a wise one who doesn't likely need TBPanel to read the cues that you see and hear.

This could be wrong or it could be both re: the 3 doors that lead to the exterior. The Host's question was about a piece of furniture, a sofa, possibly blocking one door. It was not answered. Instead, we learn of a door that's noisy when opened. Hence, we have
1) a front door
2) a door into the garage and
3) a door that is possibly blocked by furniture.

CP added that Sebastian "wouldn't use that door because it made too much noise." Is it an interior door that leads onto the patio that may or may not be screened in? Or is the sofa on the patio blocking the door from opening from the inside and outside? That might be a good idea to know Seth couldn't exit that interior door since it's blocked by a piece of furniture. Which one of the 3 doors is too noisy to use?

edit to correct - there's no blocked door

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: off topic>

This interview triggered my PTSD. I cannot go back to the interviews, att. I wasn't sure what exactly I was watching and hearing. You are a wise one who doesn't likely need TBPanel to read the cues that you see and hear.

This could be wrong or it could be both re: the 3 doors that lead to the exterior. The Host's question was about a piece of furniture, a sofa, possibly blocking one door. It was not answered. Instead, we learn of a door that's noisy when opened. Hence, we have
1) a front door
2) a door into the garage and
3) a door that is possibly blocked by furniture.

CP added that Sebastian "wouldn't use that door because it made too much noise." Is it an interior door that leads onto the patio that may or may not be screened in? Or is the sofa on the patio blocking the door from opening from the inside and outside? That might be a good idea to know Seth couldn't exit that interior door since it's blocked by a piece of furniture. Which one of the 3 doors is too noisy to use?
At 1hr 25 mins in that video they were asked about a sofa blocking a door. They said there IS an unobstructed door to the backyard.

I am in the south, and Mr. Chris is a pretty common way of addressing someone in the stepfather’s position, close but not Mom or Dad. I know lots of people who call their parents-in-law “Mr. John” and “Mrs. Virginia.”
Just wanted to second this
I spent some time in lousiana - and it was a very common thing for step parents as well as any adult in any kind of authority,relation,or responsibility to the child

Also just a note - I am from mass w/ an stepfather - who FORCED me to call him dad - doesn’t add anything to the case but jus lt felt relevant

Same in the north/northeast, but ours is even more "formal" because it's usually "Mr. Last Name/Mrs. Last Name" even until adulthood. I always found the "Mr. First Name" address in the South to be interesting!
My family definitely does the “Mr./Ms. first name” thing with family friends who aren’t quite close enough to get full honorary aunt/uncle titles. or with dating partners of relatives who haven’t yet married in or might never married in.

I’ve just genuinely never seen it with a stepparent, anywhere.

On topic, though the fact that CP seemed to demand that level of formal remains very peculiar to me. JMO, etc.
Just wanted to second this
I spent some time in lousiana - and it was a very common thing for step parents as well as any adult in any kind of authority,relation,or responsibility to the child

Also just a note - I am from mass w/ an stepfather - who FORCED me to call him dad - doesn’t add anything to the case but jus lt felt relevant
Yeah, regional and sub-regional differences aside, I think quite a few folks raise eyebrows at the idea of a stepparent forcing a child to call them any specific thing regardless of how the child feels—especially here in C.E. 2024. It just sets off the hinky meter. JMO.

I’m still holding out a tattered shred of hope that the true story, should it ever be revealed, is not going to implicate any of SR’s parents. But even if that’s the case…

Well, let’s just say I hope this story ends with Sebastian alive and well, going to live with his father as the primary custodial parent, even if that seems increasingly unlikely.

Something has really bothered me about the Chronicles of Olivia interview that I just now put my finger on.

There's no way of knowing how this was edited, of course, but the first thing KP says about Sebastian is that (paraphrasing) he didn't like to be dirty but here he is [in what appears to be a school portrait] with chocolate milk on his face because he forgot to wipe it off at breakfast. He's funny that way.

THAT'S what she chooses to say about her missing son? Pointing out something he might have been embarrassed about? That no viewer would probably have noticed about the picture if she hadn't pointed it out?

And if he were going to get a formal picture taken, why didn't SHE make sure to wipe it off?

Ugh.

It's in the first minute, no need to watch the whole thing.

Last edited:
Yes, “Mr. Chris” is an odd name for a stepfather. How long have the stepfather and mother been together? I wouldn’t expect him to call him dad, but Mr. Chris seems very formal for that type of relationship. FWIW I live in the northeast where addressing someone as sir / ma’am / Mr / Ms is not as commonplace as the south.

I am in the south, and Mr. Chris is a pretty common way of addressing someone in the stepfather’s position, close but not Mom or Dad. I know lots of people who call their parents-in-law “Mr. John” and “Mrs. Virginia.”
IN 2024??

someone you live with, as a parental figure should not be referred to in this cold formal manner.(JUST IN MY OPINION)

I feel very sorry for this little boy...( mentally) and growing young man.
All he wanted was friends...and he has to refer to the man of his house as MR.

MEAN.

Another thing.

The picture of Sebastian on the Amber Alert poster looks like a much younger Sebastian than in other photos we've seen.

Side by side photos within this:

So who provided the picture for the Amber Alert poster and why did they not provide the obviously more age accurate one on the left?

the first thing KP says about Sebastian is that (paraphrasing) he didn't like to be dirty but here he is
Quote snipped by me.

I want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

And I think she was just trying to say, she didn't know why he would go outside barefoot at night, because he didn't like to get dirty. But then again, that's not 100% true about him. For example...and started talking about the photo. Sometimes people come off socially awkward when nervous.

She's trying to figure out every possibility of what happened and why. Describe different aspects of his personality. But it didn't come across right.

Maybe she's feeling guilty about parenting struggles. Maybe she feels like she should have done things differently, is taking on the guilt as his mother that something happened and he's gone. And just not wanting it to be true that he chose to leave the house, if he did.

Something has really bothered me about the Chronicles of Olivia interview that I just now put my finger on.

There's no way of knowing how this was edited, of course, but the first thing KP says about Sebastian is that (paraphrasing) he didn't like to be dirty but here he is [in what appears to be a school portrait] with chocolate milk on his face because he forgot to wipe it off at breakfast. He's funny that way.

THAT'S what she chooses to say about her missing son? Pointing out something he might have been embarrassed about? That no viewer would probably have noticed about the picture if she hadn't pointed it out?

And if he were going to get a formal picture taken, why didn't SHE make sure to wipe it off?

Ugh.

It's in the first minute, no need to watch the whole thing.

This stuck out to me as well. It’s like she didn’t look him in the face and say something like Be sure to smile, you know something like that. I remember picture day with my ADHD/ASD child. We practiced the smile!

At the same time, it may be that KP has a hard time with eye contact. I’ve noticed that in interviews. IMO

Narcissist parents. Demand respect but earn none. Must control everyone in their lives. Fly into a rage at the slightest hint of family members voicing anything that feels to them as a dissent. Zero empathy but particularly none for those with 'unmanageable' differences like spectrum and ADHD. Push the buttons in any way and danger lies directly ahead. I'm married to one. Hard to see it at first - love bombing etc. - and when you are a SA survivor and have complex PTSD your radar is broken. Only later do you see the damage the person causes to yourself and your kids. My radar is now finely tuned and I listened to that CP interview and was instantly triggered. Flashbacks. For a narcissist, there will be no remorse only self-pity and more rage. moo

Maybe Sebastian really did runaway? <modsnip> I go back to his father Mr. Rogers’ own words stated as fact:

“In order for him to do something that’s out of the normal, something would’ve had to happen that he felt like he just couldn’t deal with it anymore,” Mr Rogers told WTVF in his first interview during a prayer vigil on Sunday

*Sebastian isn’t a runner and he is gone. So what was the something that happened that he felt like he just couldn’t deal with anymore?
*edited correction. Thank you @Eli9

I don't think LE wanted the flashlight footage out there.

IMO it was two people moving around near the missing boy's home. One barely used the flashlight. Only as maybe a quick signal/locator or for bearing.

Perhaps something DID bother Sebastian enough that he bolted, caught between running from and running to.

And was found.

So here we are.

JMO

Maybe Sebastian really did runaway? <modsnip> I go back to Mr. Chris’ own words stated as fact:

“In order for him to do something that’s out of the normal, something would’ve had to happen that he felt like he just couldn’t deal with it anymore,” Mr Rogers told WTVF in his first interview during a prayer vigil on Sunday

*Sebastian isn’t a runner and he is gone. So what was the something that happened that he felt like he just couldn’t deal with anymore?
The quote about something happening was from Seth Rogers, bio dad, not Chris Proudfoot. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member