OK OK, Veronica Butler 27 & Jilian Kelley 39, Vehicle Abandoned, Texas County, 30 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

[...]
Butler and Kelley were "traveling to pick up children" before they vanished, according to the missing persons alert, which noted that neither "made it to the pick up location."
[...]

If that's correct, it reinforces my feeling that they were ambushed and forced off the road by someone who knew exactly what time they would be passing through that area. :(

[...]
Butler and Kelley were "traveling to pick up children" before they vanished, according to the missing persons alert, which noted that neither "made it to the pick up location."
[...]

If that's correct, it reinforces my feeling that they were ambushed and forced off the road by someone who knew exactly what time they would be passing through that area. :(

I wonder if them never making to their destination was preliminary information, and law enforcement was told that. So made it, attacked, car dumped.

Another possibility is that they met at a location between where mom lived and the house they were picking the kids up from, and were attacked there.

An ambush seems a bit complex, even if you know where they’re going to be traveling through. It’s too easy for one of the women to dial 911.

I wonder if them never making to their destination was preliminary information, and law enforcement was told that. So made it, attacked, car dumped.

Another possibility is that they met at a location between where mom lived and the house they were picking the kids up from, and were attacked there.

An ambush seems a bit complex, even if you know where they’re going to be traveling through. It’s too easy for one of the women to dial 911.
That's entirely possible, and it does seem like it would be a lot harder to ambush them on the road, but if they did make it to the meetup location and were attacked there, why take the car back out on the road and ditch it? If I were going to attack someone and abduct them, I would want to hide the car somewhere it wouldn't be found for a long time, not park it on the road where the next passing motorist might call it in.

I guess one reason might be that the attacker wanted it to look like a random carjacking, but that's still going to call attention to the fact that something has gone very wrong here, and put a spotlight on the people they were going to meet.

I also wonder since it's reported that the women were going to "pick up the children", what the plan was. Was this to be a visitation where mom would take the children back to her home, and for how long?
Who ok'ed this visit, the court?
Who has actual physical custody? <modsnip>

And was Jilian a court ordered superviser or did she go along to support Veronica?

Last edited by a moderator:
he evaded the question about the condition of the car.
he also stated there's no alert or concern for people living in the area....which tells me they know this was targeted.
The way this is being handled makes me think that not only do they know this was targeted, but they know who did it, or at least have the sense as to who did.

I’d expect much more outreach if they were lost on this, to include press conferences.

The way this is being handled makes me think that not only do they know this was targeted, but they know who did it, or at least have the sense as to who did.

I’d expect much more outreach if they were lost on this, to include press conferences.
I agree.
When police stay quiet, and don't even request tips, more often than not they have the perp in their sights. Likely they are putting things together, likely waiting for cell phone data, perhaps waiting for subpoenas, and are watching the family.

There’s nothing out there! I wonder if there was any damage to the vehicle? Was the car abandoned by the women or someone else? It seems like the ideal location to abandon a car, no ring cams for miles. Are there any traffic cams? So many ???
JMO
Why would these women stop? Maybe someone pretended to be police?

Why would these women stop? Maybe someone pretended to be police?
I wonder if perhaps this was the designated meeting place, despite it being such a middle of nowhere location.

It’s just weird, because a ruse is tough to pull off, and there are easier ways of carrying this out.

Last edited:
Maybe.
They could also have been stopped on a ruse. Directions, or did you come across a stray cow, or I think your tire is going flat...whatever.
Ha! I just edited my post to include a ruse. It’s just so many things could potentially go wrong. You’d really have to know where they were going to be and when they were going to be there.

Then you’d have to successfully pull off a ruse without either contacting someone.

I’d really favor a theory that sees them getting to their destination then the car being dumped, but that has a ton of issues too.

Ha! I just edited my post to include a ruse. It’s just so many things could potentially go wrong. You’d really have to know where they were going to be and when they were going to be there.

Then you’d have to successfully pull off a ruse without either contacting someone.

I’d really favor a theory that sees them getting to their destination then the car being dumped, but that has a ton of issues too.
They could have been followed? All the way from the point of origin even, if this visit was prearranged. Or whomever might just have waited on that road, particularly if this was the only road to the rural home.
Would one be suspicious if you passed a car parked on the side with the driver standing outside having a smoke?
I don't know.
I hope we find out one way or the other. Hopefully the perp (s) had his/their cell phone on, and wasn't where he/they claimed to be once questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant