GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen and both parents guilty* #7

Wow I’m surprised the judge gave the maximum. This just proves my theory that the seemingly sympathetic judges are not necessarily lenient on sentencing! And vice verse, just cause a judge seems authoritarian/tough doesn’t make them harsh on sentencing.

Anyone else surprised that she didn’t go through each count and say 10-15 and then say concurrently? Or did they agree that all the counts merge? I missed some of the arguments. JMO

Parents of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley both sentenced to 10-15 years for involuntary manslaughter

In Michigan, prosecutors said, felonies that rise out of the same event must run concurrently, so the most Matthews could have imposed is 15 years in total. And while prosecutors wanted the parents to receive sentences that exceeded the advisory guideline range, Matthews had the ultimate discretion, weighing factors such as past criminal behavior and the circumstances of their crimes.

Judge now addresses the families. Offers her condolence to them for their unfathomable loss.

Says what this trial isn't about.

Making examples of. Gun ownership. Parenting.

This is about ignoring things that reasonable people would notice. Hair raised on the back of their necks.
<SBM and BBM>

The judge is wanting this on the record and saying that this isn't what the trial is about - not about making examples of, not about gun ownership, not about parenting. But this is exactly what this trial was about, and that's why I think the parents have a good chance on appeal.

Had the Crumbleys taken greater car of their firearms, EC might remain a troubled, neglected individual but he would have no weapon with which to destroy other lives.

The Crumbleys did themselves no favors minimizing and deflecting responsibility and maybe they have become modern day pariah, but change has to start somewhere.

Children won't be safe until families and schools are.

Big mountain.

JMO

This is MOO. I see them both getting 10 -15 years.

The whole house arrest in the attorney's guest house is a ludicrous pipe dream.

The prosecution could have easily pressed charges for the jail threats James made. That was not, imo, "venting". He made specific statements, addressed to Karen McDonald. I also think he could have been charged with not registering the guns and lying on the application.

But again, MOO.
You called it!

"This is MOO. I see them both getting 10 -15 years. "

Well what a shock that Jennifer Crumbley will not be going to her attorney's "guest house" to be on house arrest!!!!! Such a request from her attorney was so tone deaf as to be incomprehensible
The attorney/client BFFs won't be chummy for much longer. I strongly suspect that Jennifer will throw Shannon Smith under the bus in her appeal. She'll claim "ineffective counsel", and I might just have to agree with her.

OXFORD, Mich. – James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of the Oxford High School shooter, have been sentenced to at least 10 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

An Oakland County judge on Tuesday, April 9 handed down sentences for the Oxford shooter’s parents, who were each found guilty of four counts of involuntary manslaughter this year. The Crumbleys have been ordered to serve 10-15 years in prison for their role in the Nov. 30, 2021, shooting that left four children dead and seven people injured.

It’s the first time parents of a U.S. school shooter have ever been charged, convicted, and sentenced in connection with that shooting...

The attorney/client BFFs won't be chummy for much longer. I strongly suspect that Jennifer will throw Shannon Smith under the bus in her appeal. She'll claim "ineffective counsel", and I might just have to agree with her.
I have to say Shannon Smith is one of the weirdest defense attorneys I have ever witnessed. Ineffective counsel would seem to be on table when it comes to an appeal.

Some of the clips that were shown of Shannon Smith look like they're straight out of a SNL skit, except none of this is funny.

I doubt though if Smith's defense of JC rises to "ineffective council".

I didn't see any posts mention anything about how the Cs reacted when they heard their sentence. Was that not shown or was there just really nothing to mention?
I looked for footage of that angle and so far found none.
All I came up with from different videos were focused on Matthews until after the sentence she asked the woman from probation at the prosecutor's table a question about restitution and both Crumbleys were just sitting there and one of their lawyers was looking down writing something.

I still think thats a light sentence. Thats roughly 3 years and 9 months per victim, at most.
No matter how many years they serve it’s never enough when someone has lost their life, or someones have lost their lives. This sets precedent that parents will be held responsible when their child is handed a loaded gun. I think the judge did a good job.

I think it’s too bad her lawyer wasn’t slapped for offering to set her up in her guest house, though.

This seems to be the year for accountability on people who always get away with it, I reccommend this thread. A school Assistant Principal has been indicted because she was negligent in a 6 year old boy shooting his teacher.

I don't buy the whole, she didn't know Ethan was disturbed. He was HER KID. She lived in the same house. SMH. And blaming the school? YOUR kid, not theirs.

She makes me almost as angry as Lisa and Tim Holland (another notorious MI case).
If she didn't know Ethan was disturbed, she should have. It was her parental responsibility to know, and the evidence was in VERY plain sight. It was all just too inconvenient for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back