CA - Lily Burk, 17, Los Angeles, 24 July 2009

You know, I'm not psychic by any means, but I have this strong feeling that Lily's family is going to be huge in the realm of victim's rights in the future. The feeling is so strong that it is almost eerie!

I'm heartbroken for Lily's family. What a horrible senseless tragedy this was. My prayers are with them.

I agree with you, Kimster, I think her family will wind up doing some serious good work in relation to victim's rights.

Kudos to LE for capturing the perp so quickly.

FYI: Livefeed of news conference is about to start. A reporter was broadcasting a report for a few minutes, but the feed stopped in prep for the news conference! The reporter is still broadcasting though the feed keeps stopping off & on. You will still get some info in between these interuptions. It is close to starting now....the camera is fixed on the podium now!

Here is the link again I posted.....a few posts up for those who over looked it or missed it!
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/livenow?id=6934710

:angel:

Here ya go, a little more info on this EVIL MONSTER who does have a previous record.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...has-history-of-violent-crimes-drug-abuse.html
snip:
A law enforcement source said Samuel had a previous history of assault with a deadly weapon, robbery and kidnapping.
According to law enforcement records, Samuel also had been arrested April 23 on Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood on a parole violation.

He listed his occupation to police as a recycler. According to a law enforcement source, Samuel entered a drug treatment program after that arrest. He had been released from state prison in February, where he was serving time after an arrest for petty theft with a prior conviction, law enforcement sources said.

If we lived in a perfect world ... In addition to having dna profiles of every convicted felon. Wouldn't it be nice if they all wore GPS monitoring devices 24/7. Seriously would that deter a percentage of these sub-humans?

Okay, I was able to catch the tail end. They said he approached her as she was entering her car. This is how I was mugged one time in Orange Co., CA about 25 years ago. BE AWARE of people when you are entering and exiting your vehicles!!!

He abducted her at the college
He did have her while she was making the calls to parents
He was arrested Friday night (time) for drunk in public?
His fingerprints were found in the car

Had to take a phone call, anyone else catch more details?

They 1st arrested CS for public intoxication & found on him a crack pipe. He will most likely be formally charged tomorrow. They found his latent prints in her car that matched his in the data base. LE are saying he is being cooperative & has talked with them, giving them some info that matches up. They won't go into detail what he has told them.

Charles grabbed Lily at her car in the parking lot of the University.

Kimster Sorry I missed your post till just now...I'm awlful at trying to type & give a play by play to well. I hope this helped or that someone else better at this posted some facts for you from the news conference! :wink:

I will post the news conference video as soon as it is released for you & those who missed it.

Suspect in Lily Burk's slaying has history of violent crimes, drug problems, police say
10:18 AM PT | July 27, 2009
<snipped>
Charlie Samuel was arrested at 5:30 p.m. Friday on suspicion of possessing drugs and drug paraphernalia on 3rd Street in downtown Los Angeles -- at least 12 hours before Lily's body was discovered nearby in her black Volvo at 5th and Alameda streets.

Los Angeles Assistant Police Chief Earl Paysinger said metro officers detained Samuel, suspecting he had been involved in other criminal activity. The officers canvassed the area, looking for evidence of a possible crime but didn&#8217;t discover anything out of the ordinary, Paysinger said.

A law enforcement source said Samuel had a previous history of assault with a deadly weapon, robbery and kidnapping.

According to law enforcement records, Samuel also had been arrested April 23 on Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood on a parole violation.

He listed his occupation to police as a recycler. According to a law enforcement source, Samuel entered a drug treatment program after that arrest. He had been released from state prison in February, where he was serving time after an arrest for petty theft with a prior conviction, law enforcement sources said.

He was booked on suspicion of murder and was being held without bail.

Article:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...has-history-of-violent-crimes-drug-abuse.html

Thank you guys very much! I wasn't very well prepared to get the newscast loaded in time. :-/

This poor child...those two hours she was with the perp just break my heart! How I wish he would have just let the precious girl GO!

Arrest after teen found dead in car
Monday, July 27, 2009
<snipped>
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 50-year-old L.A. man has been arrested for the murder of a teen found dead in her car near Skid Row, police said Monday.
Charlie Samuel was arrested for the murder of 17-year-old Lily Burk, whose body was found Saturday morning near East 4th Street and Alameda Street.

Detectives said her body was found in the passenger seat of her car with head injuries. She appeared to have struggled with her attacker inside the vehicle.

Family and friends are grieving their loss of a girl described as funny, warm and kind.
"She was supposed to be in a play this week," said family spokesman Nick Goldberg.

VIDEO: Arrest after teen found dead in car
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6934454

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6934454

One person on that latimes blog is blaming the mother. Maybe more people, but I stopped reading the comments. Unbelievable!

One person on that latimes blog is blaming the mother. Maybe more people, but I stopped reading the comments. Unbelievable!

What A$$e$!!! What was she supposed to do, keep her 17 yo old daughter in a BUBBLE and never let her grow up?

It is the fault of the who killed her and NO ONE else! Its not like Mom sent her out at 1AM in the morning! People are so IGNORANT at times!!! :mad::mad::mad:

This really hit me hard, too. :(

I went to a similar school in LA to the one Lily attended (ten years ago) and so many of my friends were SO much like Lily. We would drive around Los Angeles at all hours of the day and night and it is so frightening to think that something like this could have happened.

I was talking to one of my high school friends about this last night and we agreed that it scared us because, not to sound snobby or anything, but "things like this don't generally happen to girls like us." We were the stereotype of the sheltered, privileged teenager in Los Angeles and you have to admit, its true--this is a rare type of homicide.

Very sad that a wakeup call for people who generally consider themselves "safe" had to come from such tragedy, but it sure has made me even more paranoid about my own surroundings than I already was. When I was 17 I thought I was aware but I really wasn't all that capable. Hopefully this will encourage even more teenagers to get educated in self-defense techniques and be hyperaware of their surroundings.

FYI: This link has the news conference in it!

UPDATED: Suspect Arrested in Teen Girl's Murder
Lily Burke found dead in her car over the weekend.
Updated: Monday, 27 Jul 2009, 12:22 PM PDT
Published : Monday, 27 Jul 2009, 6:20 AM PDT
<snipped>
50-year-old parolee who was initially arrested on suspicion of drinking in public and carrying drug paraphernalia was behind bars today for allegedly killing a 17-year-old girl whose body was found in the passenger seat of her car near Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles.

Charlie Samuel, 50, of Los Angeles, was arrested Friday night for the lesser offenses, but by Sunday, he was booked on suspicion of killing Lily Burk, whose body was found around 6:30 a.m. Saturday near Alameda and Fourth Street.

Within two hours of Burk's final phone call to her father, Samuel drove Burk's car to 458 S. Alameda Street, where he abandoned the car with Burk's body inside and walked away, police said. Signs of a struggle were found in the Volvo, and detectives said the girl had suffered head trauma.

About 30 minutes later Friday night, Samuel was detained by police for allegedly drinking in public near Third and Los Angeles streets. When officers searched him, they found a cocaine pipe, police said. He was arrested and booked on suspicion of possessing drug paraphernalia.

Fingerprints collected from Burk's car then linked him to the girl's killing, police said, and Burk was booked on suspicion of murder Sunday night.

Samuel was in Los Angeles to complete a court-ordered program as a condition of his parole from an earlier conviction. His previous criminal history was not immediately released.

VIDEO NEWS CONFERENCE INCLUDED IN ARTICLE!

Article:
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Suspect_Arrested_in_Teen_Girl_Murder_20090727

Fingerprints in car of slain teen Lily Burk match those of transient
Police match the prints to those of Charlie Samuel, held in Burk's slaying. He has a history of violence and drugs. Police give a timeline of events that allegedly led up to the girl's death.
12:14 PM PDT, July 27, 2009
<snipped>
Charlie Samuel, 50, encountered the girl near the Southwestern University School of Law on Wilshire Boulevard. Lily had gone to the campus at the old Bullock's Wilshire building Friday to collect some papers for her mother, an attorney who worked there.

At a press conference, Diaz offered a chronology of what followed:

3 p.m Friday: Samuel allegedly approached Lily at her car, which was parked near the law school at the corner of Wilshire Place, north of 7th Street. Samuel abducted Lily.

3:35 p.m.: Samuel attempted to withdraw money from at least one location in downtown L.A. using Lily's credit card. But the girl's credit car was not set up to be used at an ATM.

3:35 to 4 p.m. Lily called both her mother and father, asking how to withdraw money using her credit card. She did not say she was in distress, police said.

4:52 p.m.: Samuel exited the driver's-side door of Burk's Volvo at 458 Alameda St. in downtown L.A.

5:25 p.m.: LAPD officers saw Samuel on 3rd Street drinking beer and in possession of a coke pipe. He was arrested.

Friday evening: Lily's parents reported her missing. A missing persons report was filed and detectives began searching for her.

6:15 a.m. Saturday: Lily's body was found by local workers inside her car at 458 Alameda St. They called 911, and police arrived.

Article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lily-burk28-2009jul28,0,123041.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member