CA - Lily Burk, 17, Los Angeles, 24 July 2009

Has anyone seen a mugshot of the suspect? I haven't. It's funny none has been released. I wonder if someone's hiding something?

Has anyone seen a mugshot of the suspect? I haven't. It's funny none has been released. I wonder if someone's hiding something?

I was thinking the same thing. I thought for sure after the press conference this morning that we could have a look at the man who ended young, beautiful Lily's life.

He's had prior criminal record's, so there must be a mugshot somewhere!

Thanks Armandv for posting the pics from the crime scene. As sad as it was to see, I was pleased that someone placed flowers in her memory.

RIP Lily.

kudos to LAPD for getting the pig so fast. and tell me,, why was he out of prison again..? I didn't get that part. arnold,, are you listening.....?

does anyone know, who i need to write to, or what i personally can do to help get this guy put out of his misery? he gave up his right to suck up precious oxygen long ago. and that would solve his drug addiction and money problems for good.

and by the way, how about a photo? why no photo? are we afraid of offending someone?

Suspect in Lily Burk slaying had gained pass out of rehab center hours before alleged abduction
7:33 PM PT| July 27, 2009
<snipped>
A man arrested on suspicion of killing Lily Burk had a received a pass to temporarily leave a Los Angeles drug rehabilitation facility just hours before he allegedly abducted the 17-year-old student, officials told The Times.

Seth Unger, a Department of Corrections spokesman, said that Charlie Samuel, a 50-year-old transient, had been staying at a residential treatment facility since June. The stay was part of his parole after serving prison time for petty theft.

Unger said Samuel was supposed to return to the facility Friday evening but never returned. Officials learned later that he had been arrested by Los Angeles Police.

Releases from drug rehab centers are generally allowed, and such facilities are not designed to incarcerate those seeking treatment.

Article:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-leave-los-angeles-drug-rehabilitation-f.html

:angel:

This case is just heartbreaking. I have an almost 20 year old daughter who refuses to acknowledge the dangers that exist out there. I don't want to lock her up in the house (much!), but I do want her to be heads-up when she's out and about. IMO, paranoia is a great defense!

RIP beautiful Lily.

The photo of Charles Samuel wasn't released yet according to the news conference today. LE said because they are still showing it to witnesses they are waiting to release it. They don't want to have witnesses & possible witnesses to be swayed if they saw his picture before they were done interviewing everyone.

It's in the video of the news conference, this was brought up by a reporter asking about it.

This case is just heartbreaking. I have an almost 20 year old daughter who refuses to acknowledge the dangers that exist out there. I don't want to lock her up in the house (much!), but I do want her to be heads-up when she's out and about. IMO, paranoia is a great defense!

RIP beautiful Lily.

You may want to peruse http://www.kelseysarmy.org for some safety tips to pass on to your daughter (have her look through the site also). I am constantly bugging my daughter to be alert, etc.

The photo of Charles Samuel wasn't released yet according to the news conference today. LE said because they are still showing it to witnesses they are waiting to release it. They don't want to have witnesses & possible witnesses to be swayed if they saw his picture before they were done interviewing everyone.

It's in the video of the news conference, this was brought up by a reporter asking about it.

Did you see it? What did he look like? :waitasec:

I wonder if I've seen him around. I have a few accounts in Skid Row and might've seen him.

Did you see it? What did he look like? :waitasec:

I wonder if I've seen him around. I have a few accounts in Skid Row and might've seen him.

No it hasn't been released yet. LE said it will be released when they are done doing all of their interviews. Maybe by tomorrow or later tonight they'll release it. In the mean time I will sleuth to try to find it....you never know it could be in an old article about his previous crimes. :wink:

I just realized that I typed It's in the video of the news conference......: that the reasons LE hasn't released to the public yet was discussed in the news conference video! :winko:

Collision of 2 L.A. worlds may have led to girl's death
Lily Burk, 17, was a bright, bookish teen who showed vast promise. Charlie Samuel, who is accused of killing her, is a transient with a long record of arrests and drug use.
July 28, 2009
<snipped>
Lily Burk and Charles Samuel walked in separate worlds.

Burk was a bright, bookish 17-year-old, whose future was ahead of her. After a summer in which she was to appear on stage as the lead in a play and volunteer at a skid row needle exchange program, she was to have started her final year of high school.

Samuel, 50, had been in and out of prisons for decades. He was a transient with a long record of criminal activities and drug abuse.

Friday, on a hot, bright afternoon, chance brought the two together on a quiet, tree-lined street.

Burk walked down Wilshire Place about 3 p.m., leaving the former Bullock's Wilshire department store that today is home to Southwestern University School of Law. Under her arm, she carried a box of paperwork that her mother, who taught at the school, had asked her to pick up.

Police detectives pieced together their preliminary account of Burk's slaying from security camera footage that captured the teenager and man at several points as they moved from the law school into the maze of streets in downtown's Little Tokyo and skid row.

With Samuel standing by her side "and in control of her body," Burk tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to withdraw cash at a downtown ATM using a credit card. The attempts began a little more than 30 minutes after she was abducted, said Det. Thayer Lake, one of the investigators on the case.

Over the next 25 minutes, Burk made a call to her mother and then to her father, telling them she needed money to buy a pair of shoes. After her father told Burk that the credit card was not set up for cash withdrawals, she told him she would come home soon. The parents did not hear panic or fear in their daughter's voice, a spokesman for the family and police said.

Sometime over the next 50 minutes Samuel killed the girl, police allege. They do not know where the killing took place or how exactly, but at 4:52 p.m., Samuel pulled the Volvo into a parking lot surrounded by industrial buildings near Alameda and 5th streets. Because he left the car immediately, detectives believe Burk was already dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At a news conference Monday, one of the officers described the arrest as "routine as routine could be." Law enforcement sources involved in the investigation who spoke on the condition that their names not be used because of the continuing investigation, confirmed that the officers found a key to a Volvo and a cellphone on Samuel. They turned out to be Burk's. The officers thought it suspicious, and they searched the area for the car.

Blood was also visible on Samuel's clothing when he was detained, the sources said, although it was unclear whether the arresting officers saw it.

The charges, if true, would mark a serious escalation in violence for a man who has had several run-ins with the law, mostly in the Inland Empire.

In July 1987, Samuel was sentenced to six years in prison for robbing a residence in San Bernardino County, according to the California Department of Corrections. In the years that followed, Samuel was paroled several times and repeatedly returned to prison when he committed other crimes or otherwise violated the terms of his release, records show.

Most recently, in late April he was re-arrested in North Hollywood for an unspecified parole violation. In early June he was released from prison and entered the court-ordered drug treatment program on Menlo Avenue, a mile and half from the law school where he allegedly abducted Burk.As the legal case against Samuel took shape, family and friends of Burk continued to mourn her. A production of a David Mamet play that was to have opened this week with her as one of the stars was canceled. And the staff at Homeless Health Care Los Angeles in downtown, where Burk worked last summer in the group's drug outreach and needle exchange program, struggled to come to grips with her death. Burk planned to return to work at the program.

Article:
http://www.latimes.com/la-me-lily-burk28-2009jul28,0,161861.story

No it hasn't been released yet. LE said it will be released when they are done doing all of their interviews. Maybe by tomorrow or later tonight they'll release it. In the mean time I will sleuth to try to find it....you never know it could be in an old article about his previous crimes. :wink:

Can't find it on the Internet at all. You have to CALL the CA Dept of Corrections to request inmate information. That is just unforgivable IMO. CA is one of the largest states in the US!!! This information should be available online FGS! Since they're bankrupt, I don't suppose this will change anytime soon......:rolleyes:

Can't find it on the Internet at all. You have to CALL the CA Dept of Corrections to request inmate information. That is just unforgivable IMO. CA is one of the largest states in the US!!! This information should be available online FGS! Since they're bankrupt, I don't suppose this will change anytime soon......:rolleyes:

Thanks for trying. I suspect the mugshot will be released by the end of the week.

First, I don't think we need to dig for the mug shot when LE said in the interview they did not want it to be released as it might taint the case. They need their witnesses to identify the first. Obviously the media sees the importance of this also. :)

Secondly, I still don't understand why he has such a long rap sheet and wasn't in the "Three Strikes You're Out" system. Perhaps we can get his rap sheet after his photo is released!

She looks a bit like Taylor Behl, and her story immediately grabbed my attention.

What a total disregard for human life ... some crackhead wanting money takes a life away from an innocent young woman. Her life was just beginning!
Gosh these stories just make me furious.

Prayers for her family. I am so sorry you lost such a precious young woman way too soon and so unnecessarily. :(

Shocked worker recalls discovering the body of Lily Burk
12:10 PM PT| July 28, 2009
<snipped>
Sergio Reyes took the bus from his home in Koreatown to work Saturday morning near downtown Los Angeles. When he got there around 6 a.m., his boss at Jing San Food Inc. told him to get whoever was in a black car in the customer&#8217;s parking lot to move.

When Reyes approached the Volvo, he stumbled into a murder mystery.

Inside the car was Lily Burk. At first, he thought she might be sleeping. He said he didn&#8217;t see any blood or signs of trauma. But when he looked closer, he thought maybe something was wrong.

&#8220;I looked at her stomach and it wasn&#8217;t moving,&#8221; Reyes said, noting that he thought Burk was not breathing. He called to a co-worker and said, &#8220;Come over here, look at her, maybe she&#8217;s dead.&#8221;

His friend called the police, who arrived quickly, Reyes said.

Officials said Tuesday they are not sure if Samuel will be charged in the slaying today.

Article:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ecalls-discovering-the-body-of-lily-burk.html

Parolee Accused in Lily Burk Slaying Has Violent History
7:42 AM PDT, July 28, 2009
<snipped>
Police say 17-year-old Lily Burk was beaten to death Friday after hours of trying in vain to get money for a parolee who abducted her off Wilshire Boulevard.

Her body was found Saturday inside her black Volvo in a downtown parking lot at the corner of Alameda and Fifth streets.

Burk's preliminary cause of death appears to be blunt force trauma, said Diaz.

Samuel is a transient with a history of violent crimes and drug problems, according to law enforcement sources.
A law enforcement source said Samuel had a previous history of assault with a deadly weapon, robbery and kidnapping.
According to law enforcement records, Samuel also had been arrested April 23 on Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood on a parole violation.

He remains in jail, booked on suspicion of murder.

VIDEO: Self Defense Classes Popular After Abduction
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ktla-video-self-defense-classes,0,7042526.tivideo

Self-Defense Training:
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ktla-self-defense,0,836775.story

Article:
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ktla-girl-found-dead-in-car,0,2397273.story

Transient charged in kidnapping, slaying of 17-year-old Lily Burk [Updated]
2:38 PM PT| July 28, 2009
<snipped>
[Updated at 2:51 p.m.: Charles Samuel, 50, appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court today with his attorney. His arraignment was postponed for three weeks.]

The Los Angeles County Dist. Atty.'s Office said it will determine at a later point whether to seek the death penalty.

Police detectives arrested 50-year-old Charlie Samuel in connection with Burk's death. They allege that he kidnapped her near the Southwestern University College of Law on Friday afternoon and killed her after unsuccessfully trying to withdraw money using her credit card.

Police said today that fingerprints recovered from inside the Volvo match Samuel's.

A transient accused in the slaying of 17-year-old Lily Burk was charged today with capital murder, kidnapping and two counts of robbery.
6a00d8341c630a53ef01157242bcfd970b-800wi

Article:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...arged-in-kidnapping-slaying-of-lily-burk.html

Parolee Charged in Teen Girl's Murder
Charlie Samuel, 50, faces August arraignment.
Updated: Tuesday, 28 Jul 2009, 3:27 PM PDT
Published : Tuesday, 28 Jul 2009, 2:18 PM PDT
<snipped>
A parolee was charged today with murder, kidnapping and robbery in the slaying of a 17-year-old girl whose body was found in the passenger seat of her car near Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles.

The murder charge includes the special circumstance allegations that Charlie Samuel, 50, murdered Lily Belle Burk during the commission of a kidnapping and robbery, which could make him eligible for the death penalty if convicted.

Samuel was also charged with one count each of kidnapping to commit robbery, second-degree robbery and attempted first-degree automated teller machine robbery.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Henry J. Hall ordered Samuel to remain jailed without bail pending arraignment Aug. 20.

Deputy District Attorney Truc Do told the judge that the evidence against Samuel includes video surveillance, forensic evidence and statements. Police said earlier that Samuel's fingerprints were found in Burk's car.

Over the objection of Deputy Public Defender Susan Roe, the judge agreed to allow television and still cameras in the courtroom for Samuel's brief hearing.

The Los Angeles Police Protective League issued a statement saying the case was "an unfortunate and horribly tragic example of why the LAPPL has vehemently opposed the early release of prisoners and minimizing the seriousness of parole violations as a means of reducing the state budget deficit. We are more passionate than ever about this issue because of the tragedy of Lily Burk."

The union said that the suspect had been arrested April 23 on a parole violation and then released from state prison in February where he was serving time after an arrest for petty theft with a prior conviction.

"This is precisely the type of `low level' parolee the state no longer wants to take responsibility for," according to the police union.

Article:
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Parolee_Charged_With_Murder_of_Teen_Girl_20090728

Missed this article yesterday......it was also updated today!

The Death of Lily Burk&#8230;.What We Do NOT Know - UPDATED
July 27th, 2009
Updayed July 28, 2009
<snipped>
After spending way more time than was likely sensible talking on the phone and exchanging emails with various people from the LAPD, the DA&#8217;s office, and the police union, this is what I can tell you thus far about the criminal past of Charlie Samuel, the 50-year old vagrant who is accused of the soul-wrenching murder of 17-year-old Lily Burk:

1. Samuel&#8217;s most recent felony conviction appears to be in July 2006, for petty theft, a misdemeanor charge that was bumped up to a felony because of a prior conviction. He went to prison for the theft and was paroled in February of this year.

2. Just exactly what that &#8220;prior&#8221; conviction or convictions plural was &#8212;and when it/they occurred&#8212;has yet to be confirmed. Over the years, Samuel is reported to have committed at least one burglary and/or a robbery, maybe both, maybe a number of burglaries.* [NOTE UPDATE AT END OF POST]

What we also do know is that, between 2003 and now, other than the one petty theft, Samuel committed some very small crimes:

3. In August of 2003 he was convicted of driving with a suspended driver&#8217;s license.

4. In July of 2006, , he was convicted of putting a non-coin slug into a parking meter.

5. After he was paroled in February of 2009 for the theft, in April of 2009 he violated the terms of his parole by being found with a crack pipe.

So does all that add up to someone whom we should have spotted as a man so bad or crazy that he would kill a 17-year old girl? Or is there lots more?

When the case goes to the D.As office&#8212;which may occur today&#8212; we may be able to get a better idea, as the prosecutor will need to acquire an accurate listing of Samuel&#8217;s prior criminal activity.

****************************************************************************************
*UPDATE: This morning&#8217;s LA Times reports that:

In July 1987, Samuel was sentenced to six years in prison for robbing a residence in San Bernardino County, according to the California Department of Corrections. In the years that followed, Samuel was paroled several times and repeatedly returned to prison when he committed other crimes or otherwise violated the terms of his release, records show.

Article:
http://witnessla.com/gangs/2009/admin/the-death-of-lily-burketruth-v-the-political-spin/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back