NM NM - Tara Calico, 19, Belen, 20 Sept 1988

I know theres a thread for this but I really feel this also belongs in "Up To The Minute" *HOWEVER*Mods feel free to move if its more appropriate.

PORT ST. JOE, Fla. — A mysterious photo of a young boy sent to police and media here has rekindled interest in a 20-year-old mystery surrounding a Polaroid of a young boy and girl, seemingly bound behind their backs, their mouths covered with tape.

The recently received picture shows a young boy with black marker etched across his mouth and face, as if it had been taped shut. The boy is similar in appearance to one of the youths in a Polaroid found here in 1989 that spawned national attention from police and the media.

"I think we were just dumbfounded," said Gulf County Sheriff Joe Nugent, who was a deputy 20 years ago when the Polaroid was found. "It is kind of weird these photos came in near the anniversary of the original case, but if somebody is trying to send us a clue, send us one we can act on.".........
(more at link)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,544305,00.html?test=latestnews

WELL NOW...........what could this mean?So near the anniversary & postmarked from N.M.........is it a hoax?a taunt?a clue?
Ive followed this since I saw the Polaroid on Unsolved Mysteries & truly believe the girl was/is Tara Calico...........as for the boy?????WOW!

PORT ST. JOE, Fla. — A mysterious photo of a young boy sent to police and media here has rekindled interest in a 20-year-old mystery surrounding a Polaroid of a young boy and girl, seemingly bound behind their backs, their mouths covered with tape.

The recently received picture shows a young boy with black marker etched across his mouth and face, as if it had been taped shut. The boy is similar in appearance to one of the youths in a Polaroid found here in 1989 that spawned national attention from police and the media.

"I think we were just dumbfounded," said Gulf County Sheriff Joe Nugent, who was a deputy 20 years ago when the Polaroid was found. "It is kind of weird these photos came in near the anniversary of the original case, but if somebody is trying to send us a clue, send us one we can act on."...............

I posted this ijn "Up To The Minute".Is it a hoax,a taunt or a real clue?
Creepy as its close to the anniversary! I wish LE would release the photos as ,to be honest,how else can he/will he be identified????

Reminds me of Dennis Rader.

Posting for comment.

I think the ear shape on the boy in the center picture is drastically different from the boy in the left photo. The boy in the photo on the right bears a striking resemblance to the boy in the photo on the left.

Sounds like a taunting to me... :(
Agreed.IMO this is a "new boy" & not the one in the original photo but why now? Thats whats intriguing me!

They need to release the photos(& while they are at it release the other "Tara"photos!!!!!).

I have followed the Tara Calico case for years and never thought the bound girl in the van was she. But that photo has given me nightmares for ages! I have wondered if it was some staged hoax...designed to create an urban legend of sorts. With the case of Jaycee Dugard suddenly in the news, it does make we wonder if the 2 ''van'' children were kidnapped and held hostage as Dugard was for so many years. But if those children were kidnapped...why have their identities remained such a mystery for so long? That photo was widely distributed...surely LE, missing children networks, and parents of missing children would have seen it and positively connected it to a missing child.

"I think we were just dumbfounded," said Gulf County Sheriff Joe Nugent, who was a deputy 20 years ago when the Polaroid was found. "It is kind of weird these photos came in near the anniversary of the original case, but if somebody is trying to send us a clue, send us one we can act on."...............

I posted this ijn "Up To The Minute".Is it a hoax,a taunt or a real clue?
Creepy as its close to the anniversary! I wish LE would release the photos as ,to be honest,how else can he/will he be identified????
I wonder if it really is a creepy coincidence. Part of me doubts it.....and a part of me wonders if it is connected to Tara's case.....and another part of me wonders if the original pictures are connected to her case. I really don't think what the sherriff had to say is what happened...it just dosen't fit IMO.

I have followed the Tara Calico case for years and never thought the bound girl in the van was she. But that photo has given me nightmares for ages! I have wondered if it was some staged hoax...designed to create an urban legend of sorts. With the case of Jaycee Dugard suddenly in the news, it does make we wonder if the 2 ''van'' children were kidnapped and held hostage as Dugard was for so many years. But if those children were kidnapped...why have their identities remained such a mystery for so long? That photo was widely distributed...surely LE, missing children networks, and parents of missing children would have seen it and positively connected it to a missing child.
The pictures have never been officially identified as Tara, but her mom really felt it was her. So in one sense, the girl has been identified. Then again, if it's not her, that goes to your question. Are they foreign perhaps? Are they current missing children (now adults) that we just don't recognize maybe, since they aren't great pictures? Were they even reported missing? I don't know. I truly don't feel they are hoaxes but I can't back up my feelings...since logically if no one comes forward, one thinks it's a game/hoax that people are embarressed about so they keep quiet.

That pic of that little boy is creepy. Is is the same boy from the pic 20 years ago? What is wrong with his mouth and why was Scotland Yard analyzing the pic? The US is out of their jurisdiction. That story about Tara being killed and there being a conspiracy of silence make sense. **** like that happens in small towns all the time. I wonder if Tara's mom suspected that. It makes to have grabbed and buried Tara's bike-that would be evidence.
I agree and disagree with the most crimes having banal solutions. That might be true here, but I don't think it is true in the Black Dahlia case.

I remember seeing these photo's years ago and being becoming so scared. Part of me thinks that the photo's were taken as some kind of sick joke. The other part of me thinks they could be real.

I know Tara's mother always thought it was her. But, if it's not, does anyone have any guess on who these children could be?

I know many think the pic is of Tara due to the fact that the book in the pic is by her favorite author. If it is her, it makes me think that the kidnapper must have known her well. I can't imagine that she would share that info with a stranger. Honestly, in my opinion, it is not her. I never thought it looked like her, but then again, I'm not her mother. She knows how better than anyone.

Wonder if there is a way to run the Polaroid pic and pics of Tara through a facial regognition program like Homeland Security and the FBI and CIA use and it be able to tell us with some certainty if it could be Tara or at least rule it out completely?

Sorry if I missed this, but have the police checked to see if the photo's in question, have been doctored? I'm wondering if they are real, when were they taken. A couple days or a year after Tara went missing. Does the style of clothing match with the time period that the children were taken in. So much to wonder about.

Just a weird thought that came to mind ... the main character in the book that's laying beside girl-who-might-be-Tara is effectively brainwashed into forgetting her early childhood due to a sexual assault, and convinced that she's actually her own younger sister. I've read here that the book was one that Tara liked, but I suppose it could have been a hint of sorts? Maybe Tara no longer knew who she was?

Ehhhh, crazy idea, I know. It just struck me as strange.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back