Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #1 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the year of birth is off by 5 years.

A 2 and a 7 are easy to confuse, especially if smudged.

TrishyPA, if you head west on 1-80, and then on, um, I think I-71 to I-74, you drive right through that dude's home town.

So Special Forces dude comes home from long tour of duty, finds his wife immensely pregnant by some other dude, butchers her, and dumps her? Hm. Seems fairly likely, actually. I wonder if there's any way to find out who all was discharged in December 1976?

A quick Google search turns up the information that Major WSR was active in the Swift Boat Veterans movement against John Kerry. Somebody by that name lives in Oregon, but he's 72, which makes him too old to be the same man.

A 2 and a 7 are easy to confuse, especially if smudged.

TrishyPA, if you head west on 1-80, and then on, um, I think I-71 to I-74, you drive right through that dude's home town.

So Special Forces dude comes home from long tour of duty, finds his wife immensely pregnant by some other dude, butchers her, and dumps her? Hm. Seems fairly likely, actually. I wonder if there's any way to find out who all was discharged in December 1976?

A quick Google search turns up the information that Major WSR was active in the Swift Boat Veterans movement against John Kerry. Somebody by that name lives in Oregon, but he's 72, which makes him too old to be the same man.

Another thought... he takes her on a trip to the big city as a guise... It would bring the suitcases into the equation. The bedspread looks awfully, uh, hotel/motel-ish also...

Another thought... he takes her on a trip to the big city as a guise... It would bring the suitcases into the equation. The bedspread looks awfully, uh, hotel/motel-ish also...

Oh, good point. Yes, that bedspread looks like the kind you find in one-row motels in fishing/snowmobiling areas.

Just to update... I haven't heard back from PSP on the rule out list...

The first vet caught my eye to mostly because he was born not far from where I was born and raised in Springfield, MO. I have driven from MO to PA on my way to NYC and it is a long drive. IIRC it is about an 18 hour drive.

Some more thoughts...

It's 7 miles west from 476 to White Haven on 80...

It's 37 miles east from Route 42 to White Haven on 80...

Based on number alone, it is assumed that both of these roads would be E-W, even though they are truly N-S roads.

Looking for West State Route 42 or mistaking I-476 for a State Route? Then agian, I don't know when the NE Extension came into existence.

I dont' remember if this have been discussed already. If so, I apologize.

Hey - hook up with the Beth & Baby Doe thread on this site. Lots of stuff there regarding the ears, nose, etc....

respectfully snipped

What is Mediterranean decent? Would that mean Greek?

Original investigators thought she may be of Spanish or Italian descent. I've often wondered if she or her parents and/or ancestors weren't from Portugal or the Cape Verdean Islands.

Since she was thrown off an overpass on I80, she probably was not from the White Haven area. More likely she was murdered in New Jersey and driven west for an hour or so, then dumped. Women missing from NJ would be more likely matches.

This case has bothered me since I read about it a few years ago.

Here are my rather random thoughts on it:

Dec 19th was a Sunday - perhaps the perp needed to get back to work Monday morning so we are looking at a regular mon-fri type job for him (assuming it's a him).

She was not buried so I wouldn't assume the perp lived rurally (had a lot of property) or alone- but then depending on the weather the ground might have been a bit frozen and to much to try to dig in.

She was pretty young to have missing teeth so either she had poor dental care or they were lost due to abuse. No fractures were seen though.

Do the police know what type of scar was on her leg? As in did it look surgical or more torn like an accident? Did it have stitch or staple marks?

Who would keep a 2 month old paper hanging around? If it was anyone like me in the 70's who used wood to heat with, those papers would have been used up....but then it was Dec. so if you had kept a years supply you may not have gone through them at that point. A good thought might be people local to that area (north/south/east/west and hour or so) who had a subscription to the paper.

Has Amy Billig ever been ruled out? She disappeared 2 years before but if the biker gang theory was true she could have been on the road with them for that time. She also looks like of like the composit and seemed olive skinned in her photos.

The bridge from NJ over the Delaware would be a much better place to dump a body if she came from that direction.

She concieved probably late March or early April 1976. If we had massive pull outs of Vietnam April 1975 - how long did it take for troops to transition out of active military? I'm thinking of this because of the ears/nose thing.

Why is she strangled and shot?......It should have been easy enough for him to strangle a largly pregnant woman of her height and weight. Plus shooting makes noise. If he took her someplace on Saturday - say an overnight stay in a motel - why risk the noise if you don't have to. He had to have a place were he would be undisturbed to dismember the body but no other crime scene was found as far as we know. If it was a motel wouldn't someone have noticed the missing bedspread? Perhaps it was a hunting cabin she was killed in. Depending on the hunting seasons the paper may have been brought out during a trip in Sept. - I have to go see what date that paper was again and see what day of the week it was. I'm wondering if it was also a Sunday indicating a weekender.

Tobyhanna Army Depot is a short distance from White Haven and they've been there since 1953.

The bridge pictures show the bridge to be much longer than the river is wide. On smaller rivers ice would be more of a problem that late in Dec. I still think if he came from NYC direction the Delaware would have been a better choice.

Allentown is close to the south and Wilkes Barre/Scranton (WSR?) to the north.

The suitcases were not entirely painted so either he ran out or it was pretty half hazardly done. I have flat black paint in my house but that is becuase I have a darkroom. That is not a normal type of paint, or if it is, then for whom?

Do we know the brand and type of suitcases?

Straw....who had straw?

The Sept. newspaper was also a Sunday and I was wrong - assuming she was 40 weeks it was mid march she concieved.

Please excuse any typos - I think faster than I type! :)

Is there any indication to the type of gun used to shoot her?

No bullet was recovered so they don't know the caliber or type of gun.

Where was she shot in the neck? front, back, side? close range?

Interesting thoughts, apearn. I was thinking that most any garage would allow enough space and privacy to dispose of the body and clean up afterwards without being detected. Probably a more rural type of garage that used to be a shed rather than a nice concrete-floored suburban garage. That would explain the straw; it might have been scattered on the floor where he was working.

I would think that anybody local would have more and better options for disposing of a body. But maybe not.

Interesting thoughts, apearn. I was thinking that most any garage would allow enough space and privacy to dispose of the body and clean up afterwards without being detected. Probably a more rural type of garage that used to be a shed rather than a nice concrete-floored suburban garage. That would explain the straw; it might have been scattered on the floor where he was working.

I would think that anybody local would have more and better options for disposing of a body. But maybe not.

BBM:

MUCH better options... They're in the heart of Coal Country here... Ask a local, they MIGHT tell you how to dispose of a body...

Although there was a recent incident of people tossing a body off a bridge, on a very seldom traveled back road. He was identified and they were apprehended rather quickly...

Is the blanket still available for DNA and/or fiber evidence? Or, the suitcases. The killer's DNA may be on there and I would assume he was or became known to the police at some point. This doesn't seem like an entry level crime.

My husband was telling me that they used to use straw to sit on while hunting - prior to these heated things they can buy now. We were in Sussex Co NJ at that time so regionally it was close.

I was trying to find a map of White Haven from 1976 to see what was around at the time. farms/Barns/etc. No luck so far.

I was wondering abou the amount of straw and dry packing material found - was it a large amount or just residual from the area the body was dismembered in?

Maybe the note on her hand, WSR4 7 (or something like that) was the schedule for something, like a movie, a bus, or church. 4PM and 7PM.

OR maybe it was a place where she left something, like a laundromat, or a locker. (Washer #4 & 7.)

Or perhaps the killer brought her to, through or captured her at the:

Winnebago Scout Reservation in Rockaway, NJ near NY?

Or perhaps she was giving directions:

West on State Route 4 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads