WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, my, I see you are so right. Thanks for the correction. That was news we deserved to have from the WW much sooner than we received it from them, IMO.

No biggie. Just wanted to point out how lax the WW was.

I have two theories about that. Either WW was PO'd that they'd gotten slapped by LE (for publishing Kenzie's COD) and therefore were taking it out on Mackenzie's case.

OR, they knew LE was PO'd at them, and so they didn't provide coverage for 2-3 weeks, figuring that the public would put the squeeze on LE for info; and then they'd get their scoop!

I think they both need to be :slap: good!

(Note: WW never even bothered to announce or report anything about Mackenzie's Fundraiser Dance last Friday night either.)

So...with your expertise in this arena, have you conjectured that the last 'ping' was in reality a futile or partial attempt to dial 911 or someone else close to her to summons help? I thought a lot along these lines tonite after going back to page 1 of this thread to read the written transcript of the GoChelan interview w/Harum. Maybe they did gain knowledge at some point that she had been 'hurt'. Freudian slip, or simple mistake? If they (LE) have inside knowledge of a distress call later traced to the boat launch (if indeed her cellphone was gps enabled) then they can indeed say with certainty that she was there at the boat launch when the last 'ping' came through. It's certainly possible that when things turned violent that she was still in possession of her phone and was able to get off one last call, yes? I can understand why they would refuse to disclose that info, certainly for use later on. It was just odd, the way Harum changed words in mid-sentence with what sounded like the 'hurt'.

I have a real hard time with the whole "last ping" concept as well as the boat launch placement. There is obviously data LE is not sharing or they are misleading. I have said before that there is absolutely no way that a "ping" would tell you that MC was at the boat launch. No way, no how, didnt happen. Evin IF gps was enabled it is not THAT accurate. Especially when you factor in water. If there was a call I might buy it.

My opinion is there are games being played to trip people up or give false sense of security. Jmo

I have a real hard time with the whole "last ping" concept as well as the boat launch placement. There is obviously data LE is not sharing or they are misleading. I have said before that there is absolutely no way that a "ping" would tell you that MC was at the boat launch. No way, no how, didnt happen. Evin IF gps was enabled it is not THAT accurate. Especially when you factor in water. If there was a call I might buy it.

My opinion is there are games being played to trip people up or give false sense of security. Jmo

I agree, especially knowing that Gold's gym is mere yards away. They must have supporting info from somewhere. Eyewitness, friend knowing she was headed there, video...

Perhaps WW needs permission, from LE, to report this case's news, now, since LE hasn't been thrilled with WW's past news reports? (death certificate) That's just a guess...not a fact...just wondering out loud.

Well, they wouldn't need permission, per say (first amendment and all that) but LE could certainly be giving them the cold shoulder and refusing to share anything after the COD being scooped annoyed them. Harum, looking for reelection may have decided to talk some.

Personally I can't say I blame the WW for printing the COD, they waited a long time and IMO another news outlet would have revealed it in any case.

I agree, especially knowing that Gold's gym is mere yards away. They must have supporting info from somewhere. Eyewitness, friend knowing she was headed there, video...

pretty sure there is a PUD camera there. not 100% but pretty sure. Like I said there were some LE releases that flat out do not add up on the wireless side.

I have some more information to share from JV, in regards to the rumored party the night before MC went missing.

JV was not with MC the day before she disappeared. She was at her dad's and he said there was no way her dad would have let her go out to a party on a school night.

He has heard nothing about that party nor the girl who was supposedly jumped.

ETA: I'm not posting this to criticize or discredit the person who originally posted about this party. Its great to hear new theories and ideas and I love it when people share. I just wanted to clear some things up for our sleuthing purposes. :sleuth:

And I would agree with you, my premise for asking was this...LE is obliged to respond to an address that places a 911 call. Was there an attempt on her part to place a call for help? Kids these days are so unbelievably fast on those keys I think they could do it in the dark, and probably also in an emergency situation. Even if she failed to get a word in to the 911 operator, wouldn't they set to work to try & find the location of the call & tie that in at some point after she turned up missing? Yea, some will say I'm reading to much into that interview and what sounded like the 'hurt' word, but it does open up the possibility of a new concept that would seem to explain the certainty they've expressed about her being at the boat launch (or thereabouts). They may also have some camera footage from the boat launch, or close to it that they're not disclosing. I just feel when things began to go the wrong direction, she attempted to place one last call for help...at which point all the operator (or whoever she tried to call) might heave heard 1) nothing, as the phone was quickly taken from her by the perp and disabled, or 2) loud cries for help and/or violent scuffling and/or other voices. Pure speculation on my part.

There are 911 calls (not related to MC) documented in the Manson Village Tribune that show latitude and longitude. I am guessing that if 911 is called that GPS is enabled. There could have been a 911 call from MC with GPS info, but we have not heard of any such call.

Regarding a certain blog that keeps coming up (and is written by a WOMAN, not a man, as some have misunderstood):

I have followed that blog for a long time, because I feel called to pray for the author. She, in my opinion, suffers from severe mental illness. She has no connection to MC, and only wrote about MC after news stories began running.

The author believes that a government and gang conspiracy exists and that "everyone" in Wenatchee is in on it. Her belief is that government and gangs have poisoned her/her son, have used "non-lethal weapons" on her/her son, and that people driving past her or conducting business in the community are "in on it" and mocking her or carrying messages to her. She routinely posts the license plate numbers of people who drive past her, because they "know something" or are "harassing" her with their looks or smiles.

When she began posting about MC, it was after LE began asking for tips. The author then said that MC had been following her, and opined that MC was killed because she "knew something" about the collusion to keep the author from getting her son back and to allow government experimentation/harm on/to both the author and her son. She also believes that MC's disappearance and death have something to do with the state filing a petition to terminate her parental rights. (When, in fact, it is SOP for the state to do so in cases where the child has been out of the home for a statutorily-determined period of time and adequate compliance has not been executed by the parent in regard to accessing and completing court-ordered services... I've adopted children through state care and know more about this than I care to.)

The author's son was taken by DSHS. I am not familiar with the original reasons for removal, but I can guess as to why out-of-home placement continues.

IMO, nothing this person says has anything to do with this case. It is a very sad situation, and I just continue to pray for her.

Note: I am not posting author's name or URL because I don't want this post Google-identified and searchable by her name.

Another New Article:

Investigators missing cell phone data in Cowell case

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/apr/01/investigators-missing-cell-phone-data-in-cowell/

As quoted from the article:

Harum said investigators were able to get some cell phone data when Cowell was missing between Feb. 9 and when her body was found four days later because there was a threat of imminent danger.

I'm guessing this refers to immediate issue of search warrant(s).

When her body was found, that access situation changed and investigators sent out letters asking several cell phone companies to preserve data while the investigators pursued search warrants.

Search warrant(s) are specific as to case scope and detail. When MC was no longer 'missing' those SW's were no longer applicable to the situation. The only immediate course available to LE was to informally request to the carriers for them to preserve records while LE pursed obtaining new SWs applicable to the then-current status of the case.

Harum said he does not know when the records were purged, and he noted that some companies purge data on a regular basis.

I wonder ... who is it that 'purged' the records? I'll explain later ....

He said he also doesn’t know which 12-hour period is missing or whether it was before or after she went missing.

Odd. LE absolutely knows what time frame is missing. How else could they know records were missing unless they compared record timestamps? They know.

Scott Charlston, a spokesman for Verizon, said he was not familiar with the case but would research the situation before making a comment.

During the mid-late-90's I was contracted to work at then-Bell Atlantic Mobile-now-Verizon Wireless along the East Coast corridor, and worked with Scott Charlston. Six degrees of separation, and all .. wow!

Anyway, SC should be able to provide an explanation of what occurred with the data handling at VzW ... but I wonder if the higher-ups will allow it? There's no telling how this case (MC investigation) may play but it's probable VzW will do what it has to do to avoid potential legal action, i.e.: 'lost' records and obstruction. Who knows.

Assuming it was VzW that 'purged' the records ... again, I'll explain later....

Harum said Verizon was the carrier for Cowell’s phone. Certaiin cell phone records of people who were associated with Cowell are also missing, he said. He did not know what periods were missing.

Huh? How is that different from me saying, "I don't know what I lost, but I know I lost it."

He said he found the missing data situation puzzling because Verizon was able to provide data for Cowell’s phone before and after the purged 12-hour period.

Extremely puzzling, indeed. So then ... he DOES know what period is missing?

Harum said the situation with Verizon is even more troubling because all data requested from two other phone carriers was available within a day of search warrants being served.

I'll now explain....

What if the records were, uhh, 'purged' not at/by VzW but after the fact ... perhaps sometime later from an already-provided evidence package?

After all, we do not yet know whom might be the perp. Why couldn't it be an 'authority' figure?

MOO MOO and MOO again, topped off with much speculation and conjecture.

Just a few questions for JV:

1. When was the last time he saw MC?

2. Who initiated the text exchange on the day she disappeared, and were one-word texts common between them?

3. When was he expecting to see or talk to her again?

I woke this morning with a thought about the CB house - and perhaps the other spec houses that could be involved. If they are vacant most of the time, I suspect the PUDs would see a spike in power consumption if a party was held in the house. You know what I mean? During vacant times, only the water heater and some outdoor lights may remain on.. but if occupied there may be additional lights on. A spike in electricity use could indicate activity... if the power is even turned on.

Hmmmmmm

"Harum said he does not know when the records were purged, and he noted that some companies purge data on a regular basis. He said he also doesn’t know which 12-hour period is missing or whether it was before or after she went missing."

Really? and he admits this publicly? Sorry but I file this under the clueless department.

So you get a bunch of data and someone says hey were missing from here to here? But the sherriff doesnt know whats missing... inept or lying?

Thats why you leave the statements to the PIO (Public Info Officer)... that way all statements released are accurate, consistent, timely, and approved by those in charge. He may be the Sheriff of Chelan County, but only the task force people know... If Harum is getting pressure from the public about the release of more information, then he needs to coordinate with the task force.

Why isnt Sheriff Gjesdal speaking to the media? Because he understands the importance and purpose of the task force... and he is not running for re-election this year. hehe

Ps.... It is clear Harum wants his face on the cover of this story (being an election year), but really, Chelan County is only a player in this case. MC was found in Douglas County, lived in Douglas County, worked in Wenatchee, disappeared in Wenatchee, car found in Chelan County, etc.. In order solve this case, jurisdictions shouldnt be visible to the task force... justa thought.

I have some more information to share from JV, in regards to the rumored party the night before MC went missing.

JV was not with MC the day before she disappeared. She was at her dad's and he said there was no way her dad would have let her go out to a party on a school night.

He has heard nothing about that party nor the girl who was supposedly jumped.

ETA: I'm not posting this to criticize or discredit the person who originally posted about this party. Its great to hear new theories and ideas and I love it when people share. I just wanted to clear some things up for our sleuthing purposes. :sleuth:

Well, thats why we share it here right? If it doesnt add up, then it doesnt. One less theory to worry about.. thanks for asking about that!

What if the records were, uhh, 'purged' not at/by VzW but after the fact ... perhaps sometime later from an already-provided evidence package?

VzW would still have copies of the raw records. LE gets a copy of the digital records.

Dear Posters:

1. Please keep your posts on topic. That is part of TOS.

2. There is to be no bashing of MC's mom. There is no evidence that she is part of MC's murder case, so she is off limits.

3. There is to be no discussion of MC's parents' divorce proceedings. Period. That includes ANY aspect of the divorce, including any kind of court order.

Thanks,

Hoppy

I don't think a teenaged girl, like MC, would go willingly, with a real stranger, anywhere.
Just my opinion...

I agree with you, but...........if she met and had been talking to someone on the internet, she wouldn't see that person as a stranger. Yet, anyone can say anything about themselves that is false but accepted as truth and we have all seen the tragic and heartbreaking results for many such meetings. Even with talking and educating teens (and adults!) about the dangers, they still do it. Nobody ever thinks it will happen to them. Even intelligent and sophisticated people can be conned. So, the possibility does exist that MC got into a vehicle with a complete stranger. I think the odds are against it, but she did tell some friends that she was going to meet somebody and we believed it to be "Tacoma Guy". Just speculation.

I'm guessing this refers to immediate issue of search warrant(s).

Search warrant(s) are specific as to case scope and detail. When MC was no longer 'missing' those SW's were no longer applicable to the situation. The only immediate course available to LE was to informally request to the carriers for them to preserve records while LE pursed obtaining new SWs applicable to the then-current status of the case.

I wonder ... who is it that 'purged' the records? I'll explain later ....

Odd. LE absolutely knows what time frame is missing. How else could they know records were missing unless they compared record timestamps? They know.

During the mid-late-90's I was contracted to work at then-Bell Atlantic Mobile-now-Verizon Wireless along the East Coast corridor, and worked with Scott Charlston. Six degrees of separation, and all .. wow!

Anyway, SC should be able to provide an explanation of what occurred with the data handling at VzW ... but I wonder if the higher-ups will allow it? There's no telling how this case (MC investigation) may play but it's probable VzW will do what it has to do to avoid potential legal action, i.e.: 'lost' records and obstruction. Who knows.

Assuming it was VzW that 'purged' the records ... again, I'll explain later....

Huh? How is that different from me saying, "I don't know what I lost, but I know I lost it."

Extremely puzzling, indeed. So then ... he DOES know what period is missing?

I'll now explain....

After all, we do not yet know whom might be the perp. Why couldn't it be an 'authority' figure?

MOO MOO and MOO again, topped off with much speculation and conjecture.

Could it be that they have the phone and he's talking about things being deleted from her phone? Probably not, given the discussion about the "records". It's definitely an interesting and disturbing twist in the case. It really makes me fully appreciate our "resident experts" and all of their experience!

Well, thats why we share it here right? If it doesnt add up, then it doesnt. One less theory to worry about.. thanks for asking about that!

To be clear, it's still rumor. The only way to know for sure is that RC corroborates with 100% certainty that MC did not leave his house that night. (How many of us sneaked out a window to go to a party when we were kids?) At any rate, the rumor does say that the girl who was beaten was not able to find MC. Plus, JV apparently has a close relationship with RC and I would think they have discussed every possibility. I agree that it is highly unlikely that MC was at the rumored party or that there even was a party. Most of the gang stuff recently has been in the Quincy and Yakima areas, correct? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would think JV would have heard from somebody if she had been. MOO

Also, with all the sleuthing of MC's friends and the friends' friends etc. and MS and FB pages, etc. etc. etc. somebody would have found some evidence of a party! WS sleuthers rock! IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member