2011.07.06 Sidebar Thread (Post-Verdict)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone reported on the reaction of ICA's fellow prisoners to her Not Guilty verdict. I understand that she is alone in her cell but I am under the impression that she would be able to her remarks from nearby cells.

Me, my dog, and I are going ATVing again. I want to feel the wind in my hair and smell the sweet smell of honeysuckle. I can yell, I can cry to my hearts content. This is my therapy. Talk to you guys tomorrow. Keep the faith! :)

Just heard that a distant relative of Cindy's in TX is opening their home to KC...yuck!!

What part of Texas? Oh heck don't tell me Casey is coming to my state!!!!!!:banghead::banghead:

I want to echo the thanks to the mods here. You guys have been doing a herculean task and this newbie greatly appreciates it.

I keep ruminating on this and all the anger. All I can think is this is how our judicial system works. It's NOT perfect but trial by jury is the 6th amendment of the constitution. The system has plenty of issues but isn't broken. One bad verdict doesn't negate over 200 years of history. A bad verdict doesn't mean the jury was bought off, or the judge or the defense used magical thinking voodoo. The jury finding Casey not guilty doesn't mean they think she is innocent. They don't render "innocent" as a verdict. "Not guilty" means they felt the state didn't prove their case without reasonable doubt. This doesn't mean they believed the defense claims. I know the one alternate is spouting that but so what. He doesn't speak for all of them.

The prosecution made a good case but there were issues in spots. The defense strategy was throw everything and the kitchen sink at the wall and hope something sticks. Which they did and one or two things did. The state didn't offer evidence when Caylee died. How she died and I imagine the defense scored some points here pointing out duct tape vs. chloroform. They did a great job recapping everything in the 31 days but this was after the fact. Casey lied, used a shovel and partied. Makes her a horrible human being who certainly was involved in what happened to her child. But what about June 15 and June 16th?

They couldn't tie Casey to the place the remains were found. Yes, close to her house but easily accessible. RK finding the remains in August and those 911 calls are a red flag. I never believed he had a thing to do with it but the fact that LE didnt search then might have made them wonder about the police work. I know the officer in question was fired; not sure if the jury knew this.

No time of death, cause of death, manor of death, contaminated crime scene, family members committing perjury on the stand and the condition of the remains all mixed together can leave some doubt.

Casey should have been found guilty of manslaughter at least. I'm sad she wasn't but the verdict isn't changing.

I saw the thread here suggesting "Caylee's law" so it is a crime to report a child missing. I think that's a wonderful idea. Caylee didn't get justice yesterday but it's not because of a bad lawyer, judge or system. Caylee deserves justice and as for Casey, every legal action should be taken against her that is constitutional starting with the cost of the search and the civil suit filed by ZFG,

Before 2:00pm yesterday everyone loved JP. He may have helped "fix" the case or his bff the defense team? Seriously? He certainly has had no love lost for Baez. I never noticed disdain for JA; was that commented here? By the end he was annoyed with the whole circus and he got mad at both JB and JA over the back talk in closing. If I had to name any of the lawyers he seemed to have to have an active dislike for it would be Jose which was reasonable after the defense theatrics.

I wasn't aware they were "golfing buddies" but given CM has been around forever and a day, they seemed to know each other.

I understand everyone is really emotional about this and we need to blame someone but I just think even hinting that things like jury misconduct, judicial misconduct or the defense somehow buying a win is a not only not helpful but a really bad road to go down.

BBM

In Amster's defense, her position on HHJP has not changed. She always saw it this way and said so throughout the trial,so she's not suddenly upset with HHJP. I have disagreed,but respect her opinion.

Omg....
So instead of going over the evidence and asking questions they set in there discussing how much money they could get for interviews. I could just see this. Disgusting........I don't want to hear anything they have to say, they said it all yesterday with that verdict. I hope they all go to he77....

You know what is even more sick? Because they declined to discuss their verdict that seems to so many people just outrageous (the verdict, that is), just makes them even more of a commodity now. The longer they hold out, the more they can demand as a fee for speaking out. However, they might not ought to spend too much time negotiating. One of their fellow jurors might just beat them to the punch as being the first or second out and that will dilute their worth. What they have to say will not be new news anymore.

Write a book, etc if you want to make some money for the effort and personal sacrifice you made by being on this sequestered jury but to charge for a media interview to explain what so many people do not understand is very telling about the type of person one is.

Just disgusting if you ask me.

IMO

Me, my dog, and I are going ATVing again. I want to feel the wind in my hair and smell the sweet smell of honeysuckle. I can yell, I can cry to my hearts content. This is my therapy. Talk to you guys tomorrow. Keep the faith! :)

Protect your knees ! Have a great time !

I apologize if this has already been addressed or if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what (if anything) is going to happen with Baez. Didn't he violate several rules (I distinctly remember him violating rules of discovery) during the trial and didn't Judge Perry say his violations would be dealt with after the trial?

This verdict has left me stunned. Caylee deserved so much more. I am heartbroken. It would be a small comfort to see the smug grin knocked off JB's face for a while.

BBM

In Amster's defense, her position on HHJP has not changed. She always saw it this way and said so throughout the trial,so she's not suddenly upset with HHJP. I have disagreed,but respect her opinion.

BBM? Still new at this. Okay, apologies to Amster, I will restate. Most of the sentiment here before the verdict was read has been very much in favor of Judge Perry. I think I did see some comments suggesting bias to both the SA and the defense at different times but overall the feeling was very positive towards him.

I don't know if anyone else is feeling this. My phone isn't tweeting, I have blocked my news feeds. I feel very alone and quiet today. No granddaughter today. Just me and my thoughts. Just kind of wandering around aimlessly today.

So far I have found that today just RUSHED by without me realizing. My sense of time has been affected by how stunned I am, I think. I looked up and it was 10AM, then looked up and it was 12 noon, then next thing I knew it was already 3PM. I keep going over everything in my mind, and reading what people here and elsewhere are saying, trying to get a handle on it all.

F-Freeing
L-Lying
O-Odious Murderers.
R-Real?
I-Imaginary?
D-Doesn't Matter.
A-Acquit

Yep, this sums up how I feel.

This is not fair to all Floridians like myself that feels the verdict was wrong.

I bet there are a heck of alot of Floridians that feel the same as I do too.

I have decided......that actually freedom is going to be worse on Casey than life in prison. We know she has already adapted well to life behind bars. She feels safe and protected. Being out......she won't have that. And sure she's gonna make money, enough money to destroy herself. I think we may have received justice after all..............

She may have more to worry about if LE returns GA's gun...

I have a question. I am a paralegal (not in a criminal law firm), and I have been doing some basic research on double jeopardy. From reading posts on the forum, it appears that this is a done deal. And I'm trying to let go, I really am. However, I work in the legal field, and I feel very disillusioned right now. My career is based in justice, and justice, to me, has failed. It is hard for me to push forward and work in a field that has broken my heart.

I read the following somewhere today: "If the earlier trial is proven to be a fraud or scam, double jeopardy will not prohibit a new trial." Would this mean if the jurors were accused of some kind of misconduct or fraud, another trial could take place?

I feel like I'm grasping at straws here, but I would like to regain a little hope in the system.

i keep crying or screaming,,,, ive never been so upset and mad in my life,,,,

I didn't know where to put this but since I feel so 'at home' here on the Sidebar thread, I'll put it here.
It might have already been posted but I just sat down and haven't gone through the posts so my apologies if this is a repeat.
It's Marcia Clark....ala O.J. trial and fame....and her opinion about yesterday's verdict.
A few comments in her article caught my attention and might even help me get through this travesty.

Jury instructions are so numerous and complex, it’s a wonder jurors ever wade through them. And so it should come as no surprise that they can sometimes get stuck along the way.
The instruction on circumstantial evidence is confusing even to lawyers.
And reasonable doubt? That’s the hardest, most elusive one of all. And I think it’s where even the most fair-minded jurors can get derailed.

How? By confusing reasonable doubt with a reason to doubt.

More Here:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...dict-was-worse-than-the-o-j-simpson-case.html

About this being a fraud or scam, I have had a horrible feeling since People magazine put out an issue with the headline "Getting Away with Murder" that somehow this acquittal was a foregone conclusion, that somehow somebody had paid off the jury so that the media could make the biggest bucks possible off this horrible murder, and that it's an open secret. The DT celebration like they won the lottery reinforced this. Anybody else for a big conspiracy theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa