TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookout is a much more famous mountain. During the Civil War they fought the "Battle Above the Clouds" there. When you see all those "See Rock City" signs, that's the place they are talking about. It's the mountain you see in all the pictures of Chattanooga and it has a really distinctive shape. But it's on the south side of town and extends down into Georgia, while Signal is north of the TN River.

I'm not sure because of the angle, but I think in this picture that Signal is the mountain to the far right (the brown patch is the rock wall where the Hwy goes up).
Lookout Mountain with Signal Over to the Right
header_locations_chattanooga.jpg

The way the river bends I'm thinking thats either Elder Mtn or Suck Creek Mtn. over to the right.. IMHO Signal is not shown in that picture..JMHO

No, I'm glad you told us that there wasn't a letter. :) I was sort of hoping there was one, because if she planned to mail more instructions to AD, then it would negate the idea of suicide. But then so does lack of any note at all. Someone going to that much trouble to intentionally drive over a cliff would surely leave a note somewhere for their children at least, and we also know she had been in contact with her sister the day she disappeared.

I just have a problem viewing this as a suicide, and I will never accept that from the Sheriff's office. :twocents:

It seemed that everyone was speculating that there was a letter in there which was leading everyone to believe it was probably a suicide letter. I was glad to hear it was small amount of cash and not a letter.

I am with you on this, mind you I live in a very flat area of the country,
but still suicide by means off driving off a cliff? I have seen the photo's but still in my mind there was no guarantee you would die by driving your car off a cliff like that. Yes, it could happen, but if suicide is what your trying to accomplishment your going to go about it in a way that will work.

I know alot has been said about this, but I am still very confused by the cell phone and time line with that showing the change in altitude. How did they come about that conclusion after finding the jeep? Could they have gotten that information beforehand? I just don't buy into the suicide. Way too many other ways to do it.

Unless, she was thinking of her children and they would grow up knowing that mom passed in a terrible accident instead of mom taking her life. I dunno....I am trying to wrap my mind around the suicide theory and I just can't.

As far as Gail not wearing a seat belt my thought on that is, she dropped the kids off, distraught about something therefore distracted, gets back in car and forgets to put the belt on because her mind is distracted.

Who is to say if she was thinking suicide that she would not be thrown from the car immediately after driving over the cliff and surviving with injuries...again not a sure fire way to commit suicide if that is truly what she wanted to do. I could say this is just my two cents but the way I have been going on it's more like a dollar.

This is OT, but I need some help. Missing since 12/30/11 Janell Daniel Matula in her early 50's, artist, child abuse advocate, Corpus Crisiti, TX. I have read on FB where she has been found :(, but lack to find any other info, ie; what happen, etc. I found a link on the net to her on WS, but when I try to access the link it tells me I do not have the capability to. When I do a search here, I can't find anything. It's like someone may have started a thread and then it was deleted or something???? Help...plz. ?

eta: I can't find anything in MSM either!

This is OT, but I need some help. Missing since 12/30/11 Janell Daniel Matula in her early 50's, artist, child abuse advocate, Corpus Crisiti, TX. I have read on FB where she has been found :(, but lack to find any other info, ie; what happen, etc. I found a link on the net to her on WS, but when I try to access the link it tells me I do not have the capability to. When I do a search here, I can't find anything. It's like someone may have started a thread and then it was deleted or something???? Help...plz. ?

eta: I can't find anything in MSM either!

The thread was pulled, holly, because there was no MSM verification. If anyone finds a MSM link, let me know and we can bring the thread back.

I wonder if any of us are due substantial details regarding Gail's case? I think if her family indicates they are satisfied with the investigation, I will be satisfied with the conclusion. This is just me speaking, fwiw.

Also, TFP will be sending out emails IF anyone needs to be reminded of the news conference tomorrow...JMHO

Thanks, I just signed up to be alerted. I hope they will play it live so I can watch on my computer.

If I recall correctly, the house was put up for sale around the end of August. It's such a pretty home.

Yes, and there was talk about how MP couldn't legally sell the house without Gail's signature, or a death certificate. Not an issue anymore. :(

When I read that Gail's sister told her kids to remember her when they look at her flowers, her daylilies [link], I teared up because I remembered that the house is on the market. They may be leaving her garden behind soon. :twocents:

Yes, and there was talk about how MP couldn't legally sell the house without Gail's signature, or a death certificate. Not an issue anymore. :(When I read that Gail's sister told her kids to remember her when they look at her flowers, her daylilies [link], I teared up because I remembered that the house is on the market. They may be leaving her garden behind soon. :twocents:

BBM.. True, now there are no obstacles..IIRC.. When it was publicly announced the jeep had been located, it was stated in MSM that "tips" led to the discovery...Tips from whom is what I want to know...JMHO

BBM.. True, now there are no obstacles..IIRC.. When it was publicly announced the jeep had been located, it was stated in MSM that "tips" led to the discovery...Tips from whom is what I want to know...JMHO

I know. It certainly seems, imo, Gail's whereabouts were known long before 12/1.

eta: Maybe it was the "boulder" missing and someone regained their memory. (snark)

Hello. I've been following Gail's disappearance from the beginning. I never knew Gail, I wish I had. She and I grew up a few miles apart and we both graduated from high school in 1985. I had an ex similar to MP and I could have been Gail.

Since learning of Gail, everyday I would wake up and update myself on any news about her. I'm so sorry she is gone and I think of her often. My husband and I went to a restaurant in Williamsville, NY (where Gail is from) this past weekend. We parked near a park and there was a small "cliff" with a little creek below. We stopped to admire the beauty and my thoughts immediately went to Gail and her family.

I have more questions than I do answers and I'm afraid this news conference is only going to frustrate me. One thing I really hope is that Gail's family is conducting their own private investigation. I hope they have the resources available to have their own autopsy, traffic investigation and black box investigation.

IMHO, this theory that she wasn't wearing her seatbelt completely baffles me. If I don't click my seatbelt on my car before leaving my driveway, I'm LOUDLY warned that my seatbelt isn't on because of the constant chiming. I know there are ways to deactivate that "option" but I find it unlikely that a mother of young children would go through the bother of deactivating a seatbelt warning device, especially a mother frequently driving her children out of state. IMHO the only way she didn't have her seatbelt on is either (A) she wasn't in her vehicle or (B) she was parked. Simply because that noise is too annoying to be driving around with it constantly chiming. Furthermore, if she did deactivate the seatbelt warning device, I would imagine that would be part of the black box results and would have been stated as such.

IMHO, this other theory that her vehicle pushed the rock/boulder over the cliff also baffles me. I would imagine there would be a significant gouge in the soil from the rock being dragged by the Jeep. Additionally, IMHO I don't see how the rock/boulder could have been found "near" her vehicle (I've never read exactly how "near" her vehicle the rock was). I would think, again IMHO, the weight/size difference between the rock and the Jeep would cause difference dynamics. I'm not a physics expert, but IMHO, the rock would "roll" with/over the mountain and land on the first bluff. The Jeep, being much larger and significantly heavier, would descend off the cliff and then bounce, turn, flip, etc. I just can't see how that rock could have descended off the moutain with the same exact trajectory as the Jeep.

Additionally, I think her airbag would have deployed upon impact with the rock. If it were me in that vehicle, knowing that there is a BIG moutain I'm about to go over and my airbag just went off in my face, I'd sure as heck open my door and "fall out". She then could have experienced head trauma, injuries or death while falling down and her body would have been found somewhere along the first bluff. If that were not the case, how was her body found 100 yards from her vehicle? I highly doubt she died upon impact with the rock and become lifeless, or even unconscious, immediately. If it were an accident, she *may* have died upon impact with the first bluff, which *may* have caused her to be extracted, which would - again - cause her body to be found on the first bluff. If she remained in her vehicle after becoming unconscious from impact with the first bluff and remained with the vehicle until contact with the second bluff (assuming THAT is when the door opened or she went through a window) how is it that the Jeep could continue (without her) for another 100 yards with all that brush around?

IMHO, this was not an accident and certainly not a suicide. I won't give my honest opinion of MP. I'm fairly certain that the majority of people reading this share similar opinions.

Finally, I wanted to thank Websleuths for this outstanding website. I never knew it existed until Gail Palmgren. And, while all of these missing/found people are individual stories, the majority of people researching and commenting are so sincere and respectful as a whole. I specifically would like to acknowledge Oriah for the outstanding job of attempting to hammer out the most minute details in an attempt to help find Gail. I have great respect for you and your thought-provoking quest for information and answers.

Because of Gail, I hug my children tighter and tell them I love them more. Thank you, Gail. You did not die in vain. God Bless Gail's family and God Bless you all.

Will the conference be streaming live on the Times Free Press website?

No, I'm glad you told us that there wasn't a letter. :) I was sort of hoping there was one, because if she planned to mail more instructions to AD, then it would negate the idea of suicide. But then so does lack of any note at all. Someone going to that much trouble to intentionally drive over a cliff would surely leave a note somewhere for their children at least, and we also know she had been in contact with her sister the day she disappeared.

I just have a problem viewing this as a suicide, and I will never accept that from the Sheriff's office. :twocents:

Also, if there was some money in the envelope for Arlene, it sounds as if Gail might have planned on paying Arlene back for groceries, or taking care of some errand, or whatever. That doesn't sound like someone planning on suicide ! It sounds like she intended on seeing Arlene at some future time. Although, on second thought, I guess it would depend on the amount of money in the envelope--maybe it was a bequest to her friend.

I just can't see Gail committing suicide and leaving her kids, though. Things like this do happen, of course. The writer Iris Chang was bipolar and on a wild schedule.I believe she was trying to finish writing a book, meet a deadline, but I may be wrong. But she was not sleeping, or on any normal schedule. She drove to a secluded location and shot herself. She had a good marriage and a beautiful little son. It's just so hard to fathom how she could leave her family like that, but I guess it is the nature of the disease--it overcomes all reason. She was on two medications for depression or bipolar disorder; one wonders if the meds themselves contributed to her killing herself. Iris Chang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are liveblogging it on the Free Press website and it updates automatically.

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012...palmgren-investigation-news-con/?breakingnews

Just posted on the NFP website:

We'll aim to post video clips of the conference while it is underway.

I got screen captures of the four posters which I will post here one at a time, but you can also see those on the Free Press website at that link if you scroll down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member