CLUES: how to find Susan

I remember, early on, thinking Susan might have been buried right around the house after reading that jp did landscaping. I guess I no longer think she is being held hostage in a secret room

And then there is Ward Weaver who put one of the girls he raped and murdered under a cement slab in his backyard. The second girl he hid in a shed. She had previously been stored in his locked chest freezer. This happened a few years ago here in Oregon and was big news all over the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure SP heard all about it.

http://karisable.com/wweaver.htm

There was also Robert Lee Yates of Spokane, WA, a serial killer of prostitutes. He buried one of them under the bedroom window of the home he shared with his wife and children.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lee_Yates"]Robert Lee Yates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I believe the entire Powell "compound" should be searched.

I remember, early on, thinking Susan might have been buried right around the house after reading that jp did landscaping. I guess I no longer think she is being held hostage in a secret room

I didn' tknow he did landscaping. Did he do it just for family or was he paid by others to do it as a job? Either way, I can see him getting a lot of ideas from doing landscaping work. TPTB really need to get these ideas from you guys here and look around that SP house. And maybe anywhere else JP 'landscaped'. A sick mind like his probably never stopped working thinking of one evil thing after the other.

Please forgive me for asking, but have they been able to determine if the blood found on the blanket was Susan's? It's been a couple of weeks.

I didn' tknow he did landscaping. Did he do it just for family or was he paid by others to do it as a job? Either way, I can see him getting a lot of ideas from doing landscaping work. TPTB really need to get these ideas from you guys here and look around that SP house. And maybe anywhere else JP 'landscaped'. A sick mind like his probably never stopped working thinking of one evil thing after the other.

Very early on he had that webpage dedicated to his real estate business (remember the thousands of refrigerator magnets?) He had a bio section and that is where I think I read about the landscaping, along with woodworking. There are alot of good discussions in the early Susan Powell discussion threads.

My guess about the books is that they were religion based books. He threw them out along with the Book of Mormon that belonged to him as a final middle finger gesture to the Mormon church. This is just an opinion as I have not read any titles of the books.

Susan had probably highlighted sections re: her relationship with josh and Jish's non-relationship with the LDS. You know things to point out to him.

If he burned them he would look suspicious (earlt on when he was being tailed) - not soon enough though!
He couldn't just throw them out. Someone might find them and put 2+2 together based on whatever notes or highlites she made.
So he put them in storage. Only to discard them in the days before his murder/suicide plan was completed.
moo
-

Very early on he had that webpage dedicated to his real estate business (remember the thousands of refrigerator magnets?) He had a bio section and that is where I think I read about the landscaping, along with woodworking. There are alot of good discussions in the early Susan Powell discussion threads.
------------------

Since we have been trying to brainstorm what could have happened, I bolded the above word: woodworking.

Here is a case that may provide some parallels: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tara_Lynn_Grant"]Murder of Tara Lynn Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Grant gave a full confession, explaining in detail how he had first fought with Tara Grant before strangling her.[3][4] He said he then took the body to a family owned tool and die shop where it was dismembered.
---------------

So, could woodworking tools have been used as a means to dismember her body?

I've also previously posted the above case in response to a post that JP may have mentioned he went sledding with the children.

Stephen Grant used a sled to transport the dismembered remains of Tara into the woods to try and dispose of them. He used his father's tool and die shop to dismember her body.

From what I've read online, Stephen Grant's father committed suicide, after the murder. However, there is little detail provided. It would lead one to believe that his father could not mentally handle the fact that his son murdered Tara and used his shop to dismember her body; however, this is merely speculative from my viewpoint. There is little detail on this matter.

So, what import do woodworking tools and an interest in that have to do with this case we are looking at? Anything?

Just wondering.

This is also one of the most sickening cases of domestic abuse murder that I have ever read.

It truly highlights the depravity of the perp(s).

Nothing shocks me anymore about the lengths these types will go to dispose of their evil deeds.

------------------

Since we have been trying to brainstorm what could have happened, I bolded the above word: woodworking.

Here is a case that may provide some parallels: Murder of Tara Lynn Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grant gave a full confession, explaining in detail how he had first fought with Tara Grant before strangling her.[3][4] He said he then took the body to a family owned tool and die shop where it was dismembered.
---------------

So, could woodworking tools have been used as a means to dismember her body?

I've also previously posted the above case in response to a post that JP may have mentioned he went sledding with the children.

Stephen Grant used a sled to transport the dismembered remains of Tara into the woods to try and dispose of them. He used his father's tool and die shop to dismember her body.

From what I've read online, Stephen Grant's father committed suicide, after the murder. However, there is little detail provided. It would lead one to believe that his father could not mentally handle the fact that his son murdered Tara and used his shop to dismember her body; however, this is merely speculative from my viewpoint. There is little detail on this matter.

So, what import do woodworking tools and an interest in that have to do with this case we are looking at? Anything?

Just wondering.

This is also one of the most sickening cases of domestic abuse murder that I have ever read.

It truly highlights the depravity of the perp(s).

Nothing shocks me anymore about the lengths these types will go to dispose of their evil deeds.

At a minimum, table saws and other kinds of hand-held saws are used in wood-working. So I'd say yes, he'd have the tools. The question is where it could be done. If done outdoors, it might take awhile, thus leading to windburn on one's hands.

Haha. Yes allegedly. What six year old prints like that. JP was such a fridgin idiot. I agree the roots look bizarre and eerie. There may be a clue in that drawing.

So glad to see this discussion. I have always thought about those pictures. In fact just went back and looked at them this week. They always jumped out at me. It is odd how they covered up the one drawing. I always have wondered if they drew mommy, injured or in a hole in the ground.. aka: mine.. or just injured some way. It also connects with how Braden saw a photo of a woman in a magazine...and said..."mommy - owwie"

So glad to see this discussion. I have always thought about those pictures. In fact just went back and looked at them this week. They always jumped out at me. It is odd how they covered up the one drawing. I always have wondered if they drew mommy, injured or in a hole in the ground.. aka: mine.. or just injured some way. It also connects with how Braden saw a photo of a woman in a magazine...and said..."mommy - owwie"

Yes!! I truly believe that there are some clues in those pictures. The mommy went looking for crystals and never came back makes sense on one level, but so does JP and SP keeping her body close. Maybe when mommy went looking for crystals she was really handed off to SP, alive.

I just want to say that I agree with you guys - I would bet the whole of next week's paycheck that the writing on that picture wasn't done by a child. Whether that means anything or not, I don't know.

Could someone kindly provide me with a link to the rest of the pictures? I've missed them somehow. I'd appreciate it.

I just want to say that I agree with you guys - I would bet the whole of next week's paycheck that the writing on that picture wasn't done by a child. Whether that means anything or not, I don't know.

Could someone kindly provide me with a link to the rest of the pictures? I've missed them somehow. I'd appreciate it.

There is a link on post 272 by Just K on this thread. Yes, I'm not sure what these drawings mean. They show he was manipulative which we already knew. Trying to figure out if there is any deeper meaning or clue. I think when you take clues like these picutres and the bear story together the sum is greater than the whole of the parts.

How on earth did the stick person buried under the yellow flower get past jp? I mean we all know everything he put out there was such a see thru facade. IIRC this was taken from Steve P's .org site right? Definitely interesting

How on earth did the stick person buried under the yellow flower get past jp? I mean we all know everything he put out there was such a see thru facade. IIRC this was taken from Steve P's .org site right? Definitely interesting

Yes, from sp.org

As I was looking at the pic, I remembered when josh first started blurring the faces of the boys in the pics. There were other pics of them in the media where the faces weren't blurred at the time and it seemed odd. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't his way of negating them, as he later did by murdering them. :(

A blog written by a man who took his 3, 5 and 7 year old boys for a hike down the Smelter Road Trail in Tooele in March 2009, also known as Anaconda/Smelter road in Tooele.....the trail I've been posting about.

http://bonnevillemariner.wordpress....s-perfect-antidote-to-lingering-winter-blues/

Smelter Road Trail offers perfect antidote to lingering winter blues
17 March 2009

The following article originally appeared in the March 12, 2009 edition of the Tooele Transcript Bulletin.
by Clint Thomsen

BBM
As we loaded into the minivan last Saturday, the boys were donning snow boots and coats.

Fortunately, Tooele County has established a number of local trails that offer opportunities for year-round family recreation. One of these is the Smelter Road Trail near the mouth of Pine Canyon. It’s not a mountain trail. Nor is it exotic. In fact, the term “trail” may be inapt, since my idea of a trail is a narrow dirt path marked by rock cairns. To me, the Smelter Road Trail is more of a plain old “route.”

That’s not to say it’s not scenic or rewarding. As its name implies, the 2.3 mile long trail has a set of dedicated mixed-use lanes on both sides of Smelter Road. The road/trail combo leads westward from Tooele and curves along the Oquirrh benches. The low-elevation route is both paved and accessible, making it popular year round with joggers and walkers. And because it’s sufficiently isolated from the city and affords great views of the valley, the Smelter Road Trail is an ideal way for families to rid themselves of cabin fever.

Smelter Road rises at a moderate grade along the Tooele Valley Overlook, offering spectacular views of the valley and the southern shores of the Great Salt Lake. The trail officially ends at a turnabout on the overlook just below the site of the old ore smelter, but the road continues unmaintained for another 0.8 miles up to the Kennecott gate.

About 200 yards past the turnabout on the south side of the road is one of several entrances to Carr Fork Wildlife Management Area, a swath of land owned by the Atlantic Richfield Company and maintained by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. The Carr Fork WMA is open to foot and horse traffic, but because of wildlife sensitivity, DWR officials ask that human activity within the fence line during the winter season be kept to a minimum.

Continuing on, the road leads past a black canyon-like network of slag. These slag piles are remnants of the International Smelter, which was built in 1910 and played a significant role in Tooele’s economy. The smelter processed copper, lead, and zinc. The first ore was delivered to the smelter from mines on the Salt Lake side of the Oquirrhs via a 20,000-foot aerial tramway. Later, ore was supplied by an 11,000-foot tunnel and the Tooele Valley Railroad.

The smelter’s copper operations ended in 1946, but lead and zinc were processed until it was shut down and partially demolished in 1972. ARCO graded and vegetated the site before entering into the conservation easement with DWR. The property within Pine Canyon itself was sold to Kennecott in 1985. Since then, the canyon past the gate has been totally off-limits.

I looked into the canyon, wishing I could explore just a little further. The air was calm and warm — fake spring had been kind to us. The sneakers and hoodies were okay after all.

http://tooeletranscript.com/view/fu...d-camaraderie?instance=missy_thompson_stories

Smelter Road Trail wins over regular walkers with views and camaraderie
by Missy Thompson
Aug 21, 2008

“Probably the best part of the trail is that it has very limited traffic use,” said Mark McKendrick, Tooele County Parks and Recreation director. “It’s plenty wide so it’s a pretty safe place to walk, ride bikes or run. There’s also a wide variety of terrain with some challenging uphill and downhill parts.”

Also, different trail, but interesting points:
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/dugwaymine.html
NAME: Dugway Mine
COUNTY: Tooele
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Snow in winter, hot in summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Spring or Fall

COMMENTS: No residents. Dugway mine is located at the extreme north end of the Dugway mountain range. The best way to get there is to take the Pony Express trail just west of the Dugway geode beds then you will make a left just before fish springs. No buildings are left standing there are a few mining items left.
REMAINS: Tailings, wood from collapsed buildings, and mining equipment.

http://utahrockhounding.yuku.com/topic/538#.T0y-RfUuvPQ

The 174 route to Dugway is passable, and not bad at all. It is paved all the way to Topaz (approx 45 miles). From the end of the pavement, if you stay on the main route a graded road takes you another 14 or 15 miles through a canyon full of old mines, then into a wash bottom (probably the worst stretch, due to loose sand and gravel), across a flat and around a mountain to the Pony Express (Simpson Spring-Callao) road. Then just turn east (right) and around the rest of the mountain, across another big flat (10 miles or so) and you are in the area. There should be some signs to direct you into the area. If you can, use the GPS coordinates for the Geode beds on this site.

Yes, and what religion was SK? Was it one of the ones that SP and JP loathed? I wouldn't put it past SP or JP to kill one more person so they could make up their story.

DLT88, can you recap what role SK plays in this? I'm not up-to-speed in this case. Thank you.

DLT88, can you recap what role SK plays in this? I'm not up-to-speed in this case. Thank you.

SK (I'm sorry I forgot his full name) is the young man who went missing at roughly the same time as Susan did. SP and JP were making the outlandish claim that Susan ran off with SK. There was speculation on WS whether SP and JP had killed SK to make it look like Susan disappeared with someone. I was wondering if he were a Mormon, to boot, since they have such a hatred of Mormons and might possibly have no trouble with the idea of killing one to take the heat off themselves regarding Susan's most-probable murder.

SK (I'm sorry I forgot his full name) is the young man who went missing at roughly the same time as Susan did. SP and JP were making the outlandish claim that Susan ran off with SK. There was speculation on WS whether SP and JP had killed SK to make it look like Susan disappeared with someone. I was wondering if he were a Mormon, to boot, since they have such a hatred of Mormons and might possibly have no trouble with the idea of killing one to take the heat off themselves regarding Susan's most-probable murder.

Yes, he was.

Wow, you guys all may be onto something. At least something that needs to be looked into. I think they should take a dog into that backyard. They say the best place to hide something is in plain site. Once they realized the mines were being checked........'hey, no one would think we'd put the body in the backyard'..... SP was weird wanting everyone so close to him (and he included Susan in that I'll bet), that you may be onto something.

Veerly a little off, but I thought it very odd that JP kept Susan's books with her name in them all locked up all those years. Did he keep anything else of hers? I don't think so. Why the books? Why did he keep her books....hmmmm

I would also be checking previous landscaping areas he had been working at.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back