CLUES: how to find Susan

I find myself wondering if authorities have ever checked Powell family graves. If SP assisted JP, a good place to put a body might be on top of an existing grave. Sure, there would be some digging but it could be done at night and I have seen a recently closed grave and if you did not know to look for the line in the grass, it might not be obvious that it had been opened at all.

dovebar,
That's a good -make that a great question. Another question I have is were the so called camping sites searched well? As in searching for newly planted raspberry bushes?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53537666-78/powell-charlie-documents-state.html.csp
we now have a new thread thanks to gwenabob
New Details of Josh's Brainwashing Techniques - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Charlie was talking about 'how to bury a bear'
"You dig a hole, put the bear in the hole, throw rocks on the bear, cover the hole, and then you plant a tree so no one will know where you buried the bear," Charlie said, according to documents. "Then you plant raspberry bushes over the bear because it makes the best-tasting raspberries."

August 10, 2011

That could be a big clue for them searching for Susan. Perhaps she isn't in a mine at all. Or maybe she was going to be until the police found out he made that comment at a party about hiding a body. Seems to me "hiding a body" was something that occopied JP's demented mind a lot. So he probably had more than one idea regarding Susan. This guy was turning into a killing machine and I wonder if he isn't also responsible for the death of the guy who went missing around the same time. ANyway, this thread is not for that so maybe JP did return that time he disappeared with the boys for a couple days last year or so and plant something. My guess would be that it would have to be a transplanted desert plant because I don't imagine a raspberry bush would grow in that climate.

Depends on where it was, whether truly desert. Utah is technically all desert but wild berries, grapes, etc. grow all over.

This is the first time I've seen that Braden connected mommy to the desert. Maybe this has been reported elsewhere and I didn't see it. Sadly, it also describes Charlie as being very sad or flat a lot of the time.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/02/18/2399308/dshs-was-wary-of-powell.html

Depends on where it was, whether truly desert. Utah is technically all desert but wild berries, grapes, etc. grow all over.

This is the first time I've seen that Braden connected mommy to the desert. Maybe this has been reported elsewhere and I didn't see it. Sadly, it also describes Charlie as being very sad or flat a lot of the time.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/02/18/2399308/dshs-was-wary-of-powell.html

Wow, these poor kids. I never heard Braden said that either. It shows both boys never stopped thinking about their mother. They maybe had visions of her coming through the door to them. Charlie does sound like he was depressed. JP has two personalities or is able to put on a "normal" face for show and act like the devoted husband (getting Susan a blanket when she was cold) or acting so perfect with the boys during the visits. He's a scam artist because, obviously, when alone with the boys, he caused depression, mind control, aggression, etc. It was like them being locked up with a Charles Manson who was determine to create two little Charles Mansons. When he couldn't, he killed them.

But.....since JP turned all red, she is probably still in the desert and wasn't moved to a grave or up to WA, probably.

Wow, these poor kids. I never heard Braden said that either. It shows both boys never stopped thinking about their mother. They maybe had visions of her coming through the door to them. Charlie does sound like he was depressed. JP has two personalities or is able to put on a "normal" face for show and act like the devoted husband (getting Susan a blanket when she was cold) or acting so perfect with the boys during the visits. He's a scam artist because, obviously, when alone with the boys, he caused depression, mind control, aggression, etc. It was like them being locked up with a Charles Manson who was determine to create two little Charles Mansons. When he couldn't, he killed them.

But.....since JP turned all red, she is probably still in the desert and wasn't moved to a grave or up to WA, probably.

I think there's something to this. If mommy was in an Idaho mine or in a Washington storage unit, I think JP would have said what he did, "who told you that?" But he might not have had the furious reaction.

These are the kinds of things that give me hope that SP or other family members may yet reveal - inadvertently - things they know. Most criminals do if the cops are patient enough and dogged enough. I hope there is one investigator somewhere who is.

Now that we know the 'bury the bear' story; was there a teddy bear inside the volcano on SP.org? There had to be a reason for that volcano; given this new info of josh's programming of the boys, it would make sense. :(

Was the bear just a step, would it have next been a gerbil? :maddening:

I would think Bear Lake would be nearly impossible to get to in snow because of Sardine Canyon.

But maybe not - it all depends on how bad the storm really was and which was it was moving (SE rather than NE).

I am hoping that SP's need for attention - the singer/performer in him, the smart guy certainty - will lead to him beginning to chatter to another inmate or family member. That seems to have worked when LE goaded him to begin running his mouth and they were able to arrest him. I'm sure he thinks that he's too good to be locked up, having worked on the other side of the prison system. I just hope that he isn't able to take advantage of what he knows about it to escape.

When I googled directions from West Valley City, Utah, to Bear Lake, it looked like a doable trek for JP and boys (Take the 15 to the 89). However, I am not at all familiar with the weather conditions of Utah during the winter.

I grew up right by Sardine Canyon and all I can say is he would have put himself and the kids in a LOT of danger driving up there that night, and I don't think he'd take that risk considering he was a huge narcissist. I'm a native and if there's even a hint of a storm, I refuse. It's very easy to get stuck or go off the road, and if he had a body in the car...well, enough said. Also, he'd have pass a small town called Mantua, which is notorious for "Robo Cop" - one of their two or three police who uses the valley as a speed trap.

On a related note, I have raspberry bushes in my yard and I live in Salt Lake City now.

I would check his dad's backyard for new trees and/or bushes. I think they both wanted her close.,

What were the titles of the books he tossed out of Susan's they found?

I have a question that possibly HotLavaJava or someone else programmer-savvy would know. While the search of this past summer rattled jp/sp it was the finding of the images on jp's computer that caused him to flip. Is possible that the images/pictures/programs on the computers found this summer in steve's house has, and this is where I don't know if I'm using the right terms, an underlying or hidden program/wording that would have the information of the location of Susan's remains.

He was confident in his 'plot', it seems, but the computer pics and the newer eval. put him over the top; is there a possibility of more than what was initially seen from the computers?

So I'm going crazy every since unique_astrology posted this on another thread which I am going to bring to this thread.

My opinion only. It sounds convoluted but might have been possible.

Steve Powell was obsessed with Susan Cox as he related to a woman acquaintance numerous times between 2001 and 2009. He had "trophy" underwear of hers he had stolen. He had pictures he had taken of her without her knowledge. He was addicted to *advertiser censored*. I believe he sexually abused all of his children creating a psychological hold on them which may explain why all except one of them (at the ages of 25, 28, 33, and 34) were living with him in late 2010 according to the Washington State Voter Database.

Susan's disappearance was planned. His daughter said that he and Josh were on the phone more than usual before Susan disappeared. Once it was decided to murder Susan I think the sociopath, Steve Powell, decided he would have his way with her and planned how to do that. When Josh fixed dinner that day, Susan was probably drugged as part of Steve Powell's plan.

To drive from Puyallup to Salt Lake City would take a long day to get there (about 14 hours plus stops for gas, bathroom, and to eat), time to sleep, time to commit his crime, and a day to drive back. Three days. If my theory is correct, he probably flew there and back after commiting his crimes which could have taken as little as one day.

He could have taken the earliest possible flight on Dec 6th, rented a car, rented a room at a motel, ate, slept and driven close to Josh and Susan's home by 5 pm, walked to the house in the dark (after 5 when Josh left), entered through a door left unlocked by Josh, raped and murdered Susan (he may have taken a trophy after, if so it might unknowingly be in the possession of LE), returned to his car and driven to the airport to fly back to Washington. Josh was probably told how and where to dispose of Susan's body when Steve laid out his plan to him. After hiding Susan's body, Josh could have taken the kids and stayed in the motel room Steve had rented for the rest of the night. Josh would have had a very long day behind him and probably needed sleep. Josh would not be on record as having rented a room and the children would not have seen Steve.

If this theory of events is close to correct it might be possible to ascertain Steve's whereabouts on Dec 6, 2009. Check passenger lists from Seattle to Salt Lake City for the 6th and 7th, checking for round trip ticket purchases. How many males made that particular round trip then? The list might be very short. Find all of them and get a visual by LE. That would be the best chance of discovering the name of a passenger who cannot be unacounted for. Check car rentals from the SLC airport for Dec 6. Show Steve's picture to the motel clerk on duty where the woman believes she saw Josh and the children the morning of the 7th. Lunch was possibly eaten in SLC, but where?

With so much time having passed chances of anybody recognizing Steve or remembering the date if they do are probably slim but every possibility should be checked. If there is recognition, the date(s) to check records are few.

If I am right, Susan's killer is still alive but he is in custody and there is time to check into the what I have posed. I am not a sleuther so my theory may have many holes that can be pointed out but perhaps somebody with experience in sleuthing can patch this into a possible theory.

I know SP was supposedly at work that day; to the best of my recollection because he sent emails to his boss which I think computer expert JP could have easily rigged to appear as though they came from work. I think the above is a very good theory and needs to be pursued. I think JP and SP planned this very carefully, down to the "proof" that SP was supposedly at work. I think JP drugged Susan and left with the boys (maybe to a room Daddy Dearest obtained for them at the Comfort Inn?). Daddy Dearest showed up at the Powell residence to find his "as specified" drugged Susan, his trophy. This explains the cleanup on the floor with the fans going the next day. What if it was SP's rental car alarm (not Josh's) that went off as a drugged Susan tried to escape from SP? Cadaver dogs did not hit on Josh's van. I bet Susan was stashed somewhere by SP afterwards and JP disposed of Susan in the rental car, the vehicle with the trunk "Mommy's in the trunk".

And to add to this, JP said that anyone who knew him knew he would do anything for his boys. I think the reason he went with this, is because SP had him convinced that if he didn't go with SP's plan, Susan was going to get the boys in a divorce.

I have a question that possibly HotLavaJava or someone else programmer-savvy would know. While the search of this past summer rattled jp/sp it was the finding of the images on jp's computer that caused him to flip. Is possible that the images/pictures/programs on the computers found this summer in steve's house has, and this is where I don't know if I'm using the right terms, an underlying or hidden program/wording that would have the information of the location of Susan's remains.

He was confident in his 'plot', it seems, but the computer pics and the newer eval. put him over the top; is there a possibility of more than what was initially seen from the computers?

It's possible to hide things in a file, yes, like an image. When forensics goes through the images, they're going to view them, but also look for any anomalies. The size of a file is a big indicator that it may not be what it claims to be. In the case of an image, the size could be way out of expected range for a photo file, or the file system could be incorrect.

Given how many photo files were found...they're looking through a LOT of data. They also have to attempt to decrypt them, which is not impossible, but it takes time. It all depends on the size of the key used to encrypt them originally.

The hard part about forensics is the wait. The fact that they know files are encrypted on the computer, to me, is good news. That tells me the disc itself wasn't encrypted, but just the files. Seems hopeless, but what it means is that the best encryption method (and most difficult to crack) was probably not used. JP thought he was above the law, and never expected a search at his dad's place, so I'm confident the PD/FBI will be successful in cracking his code.

I know SP was supposedly at work that day; to the best of my recollection because he sent emails to his boss which I think computer expert JP could have easily rigged to appear as though they came from work. I think the above is a very good theory and needs to be pursued. I think JP and SP planned this very carefully, down to the "proof" that SP was supposedly at work.

JP could have set up his connection to connect via proxy server, yes. Proxy servers are pretty easy to spot and would stand out when one viewed the IP log of his prior sessions. It's also probably against the security policy of the State of Washington, which he would have signed, to use a proxy server since they can open the network to a variety of nasty things.

I know the article mentioned SP had a state-issued laptop, and with that comes a protocol for security. I don't know if the state of Washington allows access via webmail, but if they do, they're sure to have access logs which collects things like IP,credentials, etc. If he connected to his email VPN, then a lot more information is required to log in, and collected. I use a VPN connection on my laptop, and it requires 3 different passwords and my username. Once the VPN connection is open, all traffic on my laptop is monitored and logged.

Another thing to think about - the State may have fitted his laptop with a GPS device, or other remote control software in the case of theft. Smartphones have GPS capabilities, as well, and I imagine he had a State issued phone.

But SP wouldn't have been working on Sunday, right?

So is it possible that he was in Utah on Sunday - maybe picking up Susan - yet home in time for work on Monday? Or flew in Monday evening to pick her up somewhere JP stashed her, but drove through the night to be back on Tuesday?

It sure would be interesting to know if he was OBSERVED at work either day, and what his demeanor was, if anyone remembered. Whether he mentioned that his daughter in law was missing in the state of Utah, for instance - wouldn't you think he would be talking about it, be beside himself?!

But SP wouldn't have been working on Sunday, right?

So is it possible that he was in Utah on Sunday - maybe picking up Susan - yet home in time for work on Monday? Or flew in Monday evening to pick her up somewhere JP stashed her, but drove through the night to be back on Tuesday?

It sure would be interesting to know if he was OBSERVED at work either day, and what his demeanor was, if anyone remembered. Whether he mentioned that his daughter in law was missing in the state of Utah, for instance - wouldn't you think he would be talking about it, be beside himself?!

Working on a Sunday - not sure. I tend to check my work email on weekends, but not always. If he didn't have a habit of logging in on the weekend, which is very easy to determine through access logs, then I might suspect him.

If he flew in, he'd be on an airline manifest unless he has a fake ID and used some sort of anonymous payment method, which is very difficult to do with airlines.

I do think it is possible he helped. I know at one time it was announced that the WVCPD knew where he was, but declined to mention it. I imagine they did that because where he was that night is suspicious.

I would think Bear Lake would be nearly impossible to get to in snow because of Sardine Canyon.

But maybe not - it all depends on how bad the storm really was and which was it was moving (SE rather than NE).

I am hoping that SP's need for attention - the singer/performer in him, the smart guy certainty - will lead to him beginning to chatter to another inmate or family member. That seems to have worked when LE goaded him to begin running his mouth and they were able to arrest him. I'm sure he thinks that he's too good to be locked up, having worked on the other side of the prison system. I just hope that he isn't able to take advantage of what he knows about it to escape.

Wind directions for those days were all NW and NNW which means the winds were blowing from the north and west going south and east if that helps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn
Back