Hurricane Katrina to possibly become a Cat 4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just glued to the Weather Channel. I am so scared for these people. I pray that those who can leave will and that those who cant will be scooped up and taken to shelters.

Nancy

I feel so sick!

What's the latest pressure?

:(

prayerfully,

Ariel

A little before 11AM EST, they were reporting that sustained windspeed would be 175 mph.

I love New Orleans and have many friends that live and work there. All we can do is pray for the people and animals of LA.

lisad71 said:
A little before 11AM EST, they were reporting that sustained windspeed would be 175 mph.

I love New Orleans and have many friends that live and work there. All we can do is pray for the people and animals of LA.

AMEN!!!!!
It is the BEST thing to do also!
I pray ppl are remembering the elderly
and homeless somehow. AND the pets...
I had been praying that this storm would
collapse as so many b4, and it has done
the exact opposite.:(
I pray for the ppl and creatures there.

love,

Ariel

AT 10 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 26.0 NORTH... LONGITUDE 88.1 WEST OR ABOUT 225 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...AND A TURN
TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AND NORTH-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
THE MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 175 MPH...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE
HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN
STRENGTH ARE LIKELY DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

13th Juror said:

Just as a side note ...

Orlando Salinas, reporting for FOX News - he's on Dauphin Island, Alabama.

Summarized ...

There are some 5000 oil platforms in the Gulf Coast area (AL & Louisana) that provide approximately one-third of all the oil & natural gas that comes into the U.S.. As about one-third of those 5000 platforms are very old & cannot withstand the force of this hurricane, oil industry experts expect & predict MANY of them will come down.

If we think gas & oil prices are bad now (and they are!) .. Just wait until after Katrina hits those platforms. This will affect everybody - all of us - big time.

If anyone has a gas reading close to empty - I suggest you may want to fill up your tank today.

13th Juror

My husband is in the oil industry--he agrees, prices are set to soar if the damage to all the oil rigs comes even close to what they are projecting. Fill those tanks today, no matter where you live.

They just interviewed a little momma from New Orleans, sitting on a park bench holding her beautiful chubby six month old son. She has no vehicle and no way to leave New Orleans. They are going to send city busses out into the city later to pick up people who have no way to escape on their own, but they are telling these people to bring 3-7 days of food and water with them--that's out of the capabilities of some of these people. I cannot believe the government is not saying they'll fly water and food in for the evacuees if needed.

I am out of the direct path of Katrina, but we are being told to expect lots of rain, and 30 to 60 mile an hour wind gusts. Our schools are closed. I am dreading the possibility of losing power, since it's 99 degrees today with a heat index of 105. I wish I had a generator and a window AC! But I am blessed to be where I am, in a place where the catastrophe will not be so great, so I am trying to look on the bright side.

kgeaux said:
My husband is in the oil industry--he agrees, prices are set to soar if the damage to all the oil rigs comes even close to what they are projecting. Fill those tanks today, no matter where you live.

They just interviewed a little momma from New Orleans, sitting on a park bench holding her beautiful chubby six month old son. She has no vehicle and no way to leave New Orleans. They are going to send city busses out into the city later to pick up people who have no way to escape on their own, but they are telling these people to bring 3-7 days of food and water with them--that's out of the capabilities of some of these people. I cannot believe the government is not saying they'll fly water and food in for the evacuees if needed.

I am out of the direct path of Katrina, but we are being told to expect lots of rain, and 30 to 60 mile an hour wind gusts. Our schools are closed. I am dreading the possibility of losing power, since it's 99 degrees today with a heat index of 105. I wish I had a generator and a window AC! But I am blessed to be where I am, in a place where the catastrophe will not be so great, so I am trying to look on the bright side.

kgeaux,

Thanks for posting this!

I'm so glad you are outta the direct path.

Heard that Toby (of WS) is from N.O. and was
able to evacuate!

I am glad to know they will be sending the buses for folks..and hope
and pray that ppl will have enough and will be willing
to share--I am sure they will!

I pray that ppl are checking on the elderly especially
and helping to get them out...
The thought of this taking some isolated person unawares is
beyond awful.

God bless,
love,
Ariel

Good grief! Not only does this storm have sustained winds of 175 mph, the gusts are as high as 215 mph. What a monster!

All those in Katrina's path, please stay safe. Head inland if you haven't already done so.

My prayers for you safety.
fran

Just heard that the pressure has dropped a bit more...
now at 906 mb.
winds still sustained at 175.

Hurricane Katrina, as of 1 p.m. CDT, was centered near 26.5 north and 88.6 west. This is about 260 south-southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana. Maximum sustained winds were 175 mph with gusts to 210 mph. Katrina is moving northwest at about 13 mph and has a minimum central pressure of 906 mb, or 26.75 inches. Tropical storm-force winds extend outward up to 205 miles from the storm's center, while hurricane force winds have a radius of 105 miles.

Katrina is now moving northwestward and will eventually take a track to a more northerly direction later today and tonight that will cause the powerful hurricane to take aim on the north-central Gulf Coast.

Katrina is a Category 5 hurricane. It continues to strengthen as its central pressure falls. Satellite pictures indicate a well developed eye. The hurricane should track across a deep and warm layer of water over the central Gulf; and with little to no upper-level wind shear across the entire Gulf, further intensification will occur before making landfall Monday morning.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 18 TO 22 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 28 FEET ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE
CENTER MAKES LANDFALL. SIGNIFICANT STORM SURGE FLOODING WILL OCCUR
ELSEWHERE ALONG THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO COAST.

The next full report will be at 4:00PM CDT

It doesn't seem to appear that the tide will make a significant difference in the wave surge height, so that's a break:

Ship Shoal Light
28 August 2005 - 29 August 2005
28.9167° N, 91.0667° W

2005-08-28 01:00 CDT Moonrise
2005-08-28 02:16 CDT 2.13 feet High Tide
2005-08-28 06:40 CDT Sunrise
2005-08-28 15:29 CDT 0.04 feet Low Tide
2005-08-28 15:49 CDT Moonset
2005-08-28 19:30 CDT Sunset
2005-08-29 01:51 CDT Moonrise
2005-08-29 03:34 CDT 2.14 feet High Tide
2005-08-29 06:40 CDT Sunrise
2005-08-29 16:26 CDT 0.02 feet Low Tide
2005-08-29 16:39 CDT Moonset
2005-08-29 19:28 CDT Sunset

pressure still dropping!
902 mb

184 mph sustained winds*

:eek:

*now they are saying this is flight level
wind speed.

Buzzm1 said:
This storm is a monster---it appears that it is going to be one of the worst storms to ever come ashore on the Gulf Coast. We need to pray for everyone in its path.

AMEN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members