*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people so willing to try and pass this crime off as mental illness?
It's an easier pill to swallow, perhaps? After all, the idea that someone who is "normal" could do something so evil, means that anyone... your neighbor, mine, anyone... could do this. I also think that is why people think they can detect evil on the face of (wo)man. Or, mental illness, for that matter. Helps them to sleep better at night. Whatever way we lean, whether we think the guy is mentally ill, just plain evil, or somewhere in between, people still want to know why.

We want the "tells."

It's our nature, after all. It's how we managed to make it to the top of the food chain. That is, being able to detect and deter danger. We're really good pattern matching machines. And what that means is that we can, for the most part, go about our daily lives without having to attend to tons of distractions. Distractions that have been unconsciously filed away as "non-threatening." For example, the train whistle that no longer wakes us at night after having lived in a place for awhile. So, when something deviates, we are immediately alerted and can respond appropriately. Get out of harms way... or defend, if necessary.

When tragedies like these occur, however, they shake our world. Make it feel less safe. So, we look for tells. For a way to return to equilibrium. And sure, in hindsight, we may think we see them... you know, the warning signs? But in reality, most of the so-called tells are still nothing more than empty speculation that is not backed up by science. Even so, we demand "signs." Explanations. When there rarely are any. We (the universal we) have been trying to identify "evil" for ages. Literally. Since the days of Aristotle, in fact. ( link )

As for mental illness speculations wrt this case. Here is what one forensic psychologist has to say. ( link )

Our field is positioned to help the public separate the wheat from the chaff. We can discuss the complex admixture of entitlement, alienation and despair that contributes to these catastrophic explosions.

[...]

But we should also recognize the limitations of our discipline’s micro focus on the individual, and encourage the public to grapple with the larger issues raised by this cultural affliction of the late-20th and early 21st century. As I commented last year in regard to the media coverage of the Jared Loughner shooting rampage in Arizona, journalists need to train a macro lens on the cultural forces that lead disaffected middle-class men -- like canaries in a coal mine -- to periodically self-implode with rage. Disciplines such as sociology, anthropology and cultural studies have much to contribute to this much-needed analysis.

Damn, don't ya all hate it when it looks more and more like mental illiness................
The key word is "looks", he could in all reality be faking an act for police... I'm not buying it until a competent, unbiased psychiatrist has evaluated him, and I don't mean one picked by the defense.:snooty:

Not much new info. He didn't pay tuition and had a stipend, but I expected this all alone. The graduate program is highly competitive and accepts students with top tests scores. Again, as to be expected. He really wouldn't be able to get into a graduate program like that if he was in and out of mental institutions.

Could i pose a question? Are we such an enabling society that we search for answers that simply are not there. There are people who commit terrible crimes. It seems some in the search for rational are willing to find an excuse. To make sense. Sometimes it's just evil. We see it with Defense Attorneys in Court. We see it with Parents who enable and excuse their child for minor bad behavior. We are a society that seems to need answers that become an excuse.

Here is a close up of JH's mugshot.

Agree, no eyelashes visable.

And below an older picture of JH WITH long brown eyelashes.

What it all mean, I don´t know, but there sure is a big difference when it comes to eyelashes.

Sorry for the VERY big images but I had to choose the very big once in order to see the eyelashes.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/07/james_holmes_mug_shot.php

http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/374/5/5374317-usa-shootingdenver.jpg

IMG]
I see no top eyelashes on his mug shot..but i do see lower lashes.

The key word is "looks", he could in all reality be faking an act for police... I'm not buying it until a competent, unbiased psychiatrist has evaluated him, and I don't mean one picked by the defense.:snooty:

Not buying it either at this point. Acting.

MOO

Could wearing contacts or nearsightedness cause one's eyes to change shape that much??? But it's also an abnormality in his pupils and the light reflected off them in his photos too.

Gosh, my eyes are scarier than his.
Thyroid/Graves disease has made one eye totally different than the other eye in shape. One of my eyes is wide open and it's going off orbit due to the swelling behind my eye. That eye now dull, and has no light/life in it - it's no longer a window to my soul. (I do joke that it's my evil eye.) My eyes feel dry and gritty and it hurts to blink. If you look up pics of this condition you'll see what I mean. I think Marty Feldman suffered from Graves.

I was so upset when I watched the father of the six year old who died at the movie theater in the courtroom.His wife critical and daughter gone. All because of this creep.I don't know if I could just sit there without causing an outburst or trying to get to him.It would be so hard.

I saw it quoted as "you have the right MAN" which was even more chilling..............

I've looked and looked and could only find it quoted as "you have the right person." I've looked at over 20 sites. Do you have a link to the quote stating that she said 'man' and not 'person'?

TIA!

There has to be a mental illness of some kind. That is not saying he doesn't know right from wrong, but nobody stable in the mind would go on mass killing spree like that. Even if that illness is pure evilness there is something not right in his brain. IMO

Legally he is sane. Evident in the planning. That's all i care about. He is put away or death forever. When i look at the lives he took or shattered I dont really care about him. Not directing my feelings at you. Just expressing them.

I think he could be a psychopath with narcissistic tendencies. Of course it is too early to tell.

I don't know... I just think trying to give him some sort of mental illness or disease is discounting the fact that he could just be a really bad guy. There have been a lot of murder cases where it was simply just that.

Maybe it's as simple as he wanted to be a hero.. i.e. Batman. Knew that wouldn't work, so he chose the more "certain" route- becoming the villain.

And what do people mean by acting in the courtroom? If he was acting I don't think he would have done what he did. He is crazy. IMO. Once again not saying he is insane in the courts eyes, but insane in the fact he did what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ecdub