Schoolboys get detention for refusing to kneel and "pray" to Allah in RE class

That is awful! we live in a very conservative Christian community and my children's school even prays before pto meetings . My oldest son is the same age as these boys and I can assure you he would absolutely never bow down to pray to another god no matter who told him to. I am very thankful that this would not happen in our school.

That is awful! we live in a very conservative Christian community and my children's school even prays before pto meetings . My oldest son is the same age as these boys and I can assure you he would absolutely never bow down to pray to another god no matter who told him to. I am very thankful that this would not happen in our school.

Allah is not "another god," He is the same god by a name from a different language. It may surprise some to consider that English isn't God's first language.

Regardless, I see no reason why schoolchildren should be forced to pray to any deity. And in fact, merely going through the motions of an alien (to you) religion might well be seen as disrespectful to followers of that religion.

I wouldnt want to go through the motions or have my kids go through them either. There is no way over here that muslim children would have to do that for another religion and they wouldnt do it either so why should these boys have had to do it for theirs?

Allah is not "another god," He is the same god by a name from a different language. It may surprise some to consider that English isn't God's first language.

Regardless, I see no reason why schoolchildren should be forced to pray to any deity. And in fact, merely going through the motions of an alien (to you) religion might well be seen as disrespectful to followers of that religion.

Oh really? Would you submit to forceful prayer (even simulated, which this may or may not have been- it seems more a forceful introduction into muslim prayer) to a god you did not follow?

Allah is not "another god," He is the same god by a name from a different language...

If he is the same God, how come he needed a different book (the Koran)? Islam usurps the Old and New Testaments by claiming them lesser than the Koran. To pray to the God of the Koran is to diminish the teachings of the holy books of the other two religions.

Charlie Manson claimed to be Jesus Christ. As a Christian, if I was required to pray to Manson, I would rightly refuse. Would people argue that Manson was just another name for Jesus?

No one should be punished for not praying to a God they dont want to.
As a Catholic I want to pray to God as God, not Allah and I would not let my child do the detention that this school imposed if my child also didnt want to pray to "Allah" simulated or not. There would have been absolute uproar here believe me, if this had been muslim children told to do this to God.

I wonder what this teacher did in class to demonstrate faith in Jesus Christ and the belief that he is God.

The orthodox Christian view is that he is not. Orthodox Christianity (and by that I mean the generally accepted theological teachings through out history, not the Greek Orthodox church) teaches that the Christian God is a triune being, three distinct personalities acting in one accord. Within that, Jesus is fully divine. Islam does not recognize Jesus as divine, only as a prophet.

A few questions for the "Christians" who say that Allah is not the same God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob they worship?

Why did Arab Christians even prior to the life of Mohammd call God by the name Allah? And why do they continue to this day?

Please explain Quran 3:3 - He sent down to you this scripture, truthfully, confirming all previous scriptures, and He sent down the Torah and the Gospel

I'm sure there's a great explanation somewhere in all those apologetics books of yours. :eek:

BTW, I don't like the idea of kids being forced to pray to ANY "God". Just another good reason to keep everybody's version of God out of public places.

That is absolutely untrue.

Are you not doing the exact same thing? (presuming that your children attend a public school?) How can you assume that every family believes the exact same thing that you do? It is always wrong to try to force one's beliefs on others, no matter what one may believe. Ciara, you might be just as offended by the 'conservative christians'. In the last bulk-mailer I recieved from some 'conservative American christians', they absolutely despise the Catholics. I kid you not. I have never read such a hateful screed. They love the Jews, but only until the end of the world when all of the Jewish people get obliterated. It makes no sense. I think the current hatred of muslims is just another political/business/media-induced frenzy. Some people make lots of money off of weapons. Plenty of wars are fought over religion.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, knows what God or the universe is. Yet people still continue to wage wars over 'my god's better than your god'.

What a waste. In My Humble Opinion.

This is very poinant tonight. My BF went on and on about the Bible and I got angry. He is Christian and I am Atheist. I never rant about his belief. I have learned to keep my mouth shut.
No one should ever kneel to anyone elses beleif. That is why Church and states are to be seperate. Our founding Fathers did not all beleive the same. School is for education and teaching about other religions is a part of education. But you cannot ask anyone, even a child, especially a child, to bow to something they do not have faith in.
And Mohammed may be God in another language but we all don't beleive in God. I get really tired of having to listen to other people talk about their faith when I do not share that. I ask myself why I do it and the reason is I would not have many friends. They would tell others I am Atheist and I would end up shunned. Get over it. Let everyone live their lives.

I am not offended at anyone hating me for being Catholic Truly. I think that people can believe or not believe what they like and should not be persecuted for it or forced into doing something they dont want to do. Becklynn should not have to stay quiet for fear of being shunned either just because she does not believe in God...thats not right:blowkiss:

I am not offended at anyone hating me for being Catholic Truly. I think that people can believe or not believe what they like and should not be persecuted for it or forced into doing something they dont want to do. Becklynn should not have to stay quiet for fear of being shunned either just because she does not believe in God...thats not right:blowkiss:

I really needed someone to say it is ok to feel the way I do. We are all just struggling thru this life and trying to make the best of it. I don't hate Catholics or any religion but your are right. Catholics are hated as Jews and just about anyone. Thank you for letting me be myself. :blowkiss:

I am sure you are fine just as you are Becklynn. You dont have to believe anything at all that you dont want to. I certainly wouldnt shun you just because you dont believe in God. I may try to bless you with Holy Water though lol.....Just Kidding!!!:blowkiss:

I am sure you are fine just as you are Becklynn. You dont have to believe anything at all that you dont want to. I certainly wouldnt shun you just because you dont believe in God. I may try to bless you with Holy Water though lol.....Just Kidding!!!:blowkiss:

LOL. I would not mind the holy water dowse. I too feel the need for spiritual uplifting in my life and am always open to other faiths. There is just a point where if things are pushed on me I go the other way. I think the boys that did not kneel likely felt that pressure.
A teacher has a lot of power in their hands. If they misuse it the effect can ripple into something unwanted.

If he is the same God, how come he needed a different book (the Koran)? Islam usurps the Old and New Testaments by claiming them lesser than the Koran. To pray to the God of the Koran is to diminish the teachings of the holy books of the other two religions.
Christianity did the exact same thing with the Torah and the Jewish god, Yahweh. Early Christians claimed that it was the same god with the same history (patriarchs, etc.) of the Torah but reinterpreted it and appended an additional book, The "New" Testament. God, Allah, Yahweh,--- Judaism, Christianity, Islam -- they are all essentially the same.

Nonetheless, as Nova already said, no child should be forced to worship ANY deity in the public school system. I love that this school is educating the students on different religions, but the teacher went to far in requiring the prayer.

The orthodox Christian view is that he is not. Orthodox Christianity (and by that I mean the generally accepted theological teachings through out history, not the Greek Orthodox church) teaches that the Christian God is a triune being, three distinct personalities acting in one accord. Within that, Jesus is fully divine. Islam does not recognize Jesus as divine, only as a prophet.
Exactly.
Its kind of disturbing that when these subjects come up the people that are most sensitive to anyone daring to not view Islam in the most enlightened terms are the first to slop Christians with the broad bigoted /right-wing/ haters brush?
Im a Christian.
I dont hate Islamics or Catholics.
I dont think anyone should be forced to worship in any capacity whatsoever that they dont want to.
(Or have crosses burned into their arms or any other nonsense perpetuated by idiots regardless of what faith they profess.)
Some of these posts are more about the writers hostilty towards Christians then anything having to do with the topic.

And in fact, merely going through the motions of an alien (to you) religion might well be seen as disrespectful to followers of that religion.

I was thinking this, too. I would feel very uncomfortable if someone were forcing kids to worship in the manner of *my* faith, no matter what the reason.

I believe that I do the things I do because of my personal understanding of my relationship with Heavenly Father. No one else should be doing what I do unless they are choosing to do so because of *their* understanding.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back