Found Deceased TN - David Riemens, 60, Watertown, 8 Aug 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping.

Four years ago today this man disappeared. He left behind family and friends who loved him dearly. They deserve answers!

Four years ago today this man disappeared. He left behind family and friends who loved him dearly. They deserve answers!

Has there really not been any comment since the summer? This case is so sad. I just saw the episode of Disappeared and read the FB and the comments here. I just wanted to add my 2-cents for what they're worth.

1. I think it's very likely that David wasn't the one to leave his car at the DG. Scent dogs that get a short trail like that could (from my understanding) just as easily be picking up on the scent trail that came from the car when the door was opened. I trust his friends when they say that he never locked his car, and that he didn't like to accept rides (I'm similar). I think those are pretty difficult habits to break. I think if they found his car locked and nobody saw him park it, it's just as likely that whomever it was that he was visiting dropped it off later. If the PD didn't bother to fingerprint it or collect evidence before someone else moved it, that's inexcusable. If it hasn't been regularly used since then, it may still contain useful information.

2. Perhaps he didn't carry a cell phone, but has access to the local cell tower records been sought? It's my understanding that under certain circumstances you can seek access to see who pinged a given tower in a span of time. Depending on the range of the tower in that area, it may yield a list of suspects (however unlikely).

3. What I wondered when I first read that checking out building permits hasn't shed any light on this is: Has anyone used the new Google Earth timeline feature to just look at the region over that period? If the building were overshadowed by vegetation it may not help, but otherwise you can directly see all of the new buildings in the area showing up right around the 2012 time period thanks to the range of satellite data made available recently. I can't think of a building site I've seen under vegetation anyway. I would be happy to help anyone do this if you'd like, but I think someone more familiar with the area would be able to do it a lot more quickly and with some recognition for where things are relative to the area of interest.

It's hard to imagine this new home being built and not one sign of it , utilities , post man , contractor materials purchases ect . I have family not terribly far away so I do understand how rual it is .
I would fly drones in the winter when more vegetation is dead . Lot more effective and cost efficient then flights .
Unless , it dosent exist at all . But , why would David make it up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was watched the Disappeared show on TV.
My possible theory....the bricks in truck looked staged. Placed there.
Truck was driven there but not by him...the person then locked it and went into another vehicle.
He was leaving the family he lived with to visit his siblings....lots of work done on their property. They knew lots about him. Did they have a falling out? That property should have been thoroughly checked. Something is off....my gut tells me.

Or...second thought.
Was David involved in something he was trying to escape? Was he hiding a double life? The brick collections and the possible contract deal before leaving??? Was this really his only lively hood? I think he is leaving for a more serious reason and its not about bricks and a coincidental job he's trying to nip in the bod before he leaves

I thought hard on this and a very similiar case in our province. I agree...very likely that someone drove it at night to the popular Dollar General...locked it...and jumped into a get away.
Something went wrong in the last week of his life. He was leaving for a reason. That family he stayed with...lots of work done there. Was money owing and a disagreement happening. Thoroughly check out that place for clues. I would have checked it thoroughly as they were eager to hire planes etc and distract .

Well the eye witness that Knows him swears he was there .. not just a passerby guessing . What would be her motive to lie of someone else dropped the truck off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be my first post on websleuths. The whole story about the bricks and this elusive homeowner seems fishy to me. What if David had stolen those bricks and was caught. He withdrew money from the bank to repay the owner, met him at the dollar general to pay him, and then things turned ugly?

Bumping because I am bingeing Disappeared on the Xfinity app and this is the first case in this season that you really have so little to go on.

Personally, I DO find it strange the couple, as nice as they were in interviews, would let David live on their property w/ no payment other than the Hobbit door/house. This is America. IF he lived in the treehouse he'd still need access to a fridge, toilet, stove/oven, minimum. Being a rural area this 100% had to have been someone he knew. This person likely knew his upcoming out of town plans and perhaps thought D's miss would go temporarily unnoticed or mistaken for an early departure.

I'm glad you said that siren. I'm not certain about anything in this case, I like to keep the possibilities open until you can't any longer, but I have an ongoing niggle with his living arrangement. His 'landlords' are the sole source of much of the info about his last known movements, as nice as they seem.

But someone saw DAVID pull up to the store where his truck was found. I think this makes it not be suspicious on the landlord friends.

But someone saw DAVID pull up to the store where his truck was found. I think this makes it not be suspicious on the landlord friends.

Exactly. My sense tells me the landlords having nothing to do with David's disappearance. Lets all focus elsewhere.

I am local and the landlords are friends of friends. They have been nothing but cooperative with LE and have a reputation in the community for being great people. They treated David like a family member and have made every effort to find him, including renting a plane and flying over areas that were not able to be easily accessed by ground.

I am local and the landlords are friends of friends. They have been nothing but cooperative with LE and have a reputation in the community for being great people. They treated David like a family member and have made every effort to find him, including renting a plane and flying over areas that were not able to be easily accessed by ground.

Thank you cutter. Welcome to the thread. What do the locals think happened to David? I sure don't think he left of his own free will, but am open to ideas. Hope you can stay and spread some insight into David's disappearance.

Thank you cutter. Welcome to the thread. What do the locals think happened to David? I sure don't think he left of his own free will, but am open to ideas. Hope you can stay and spread some insight into David's disappearance.

Hi nannymo, cutter has been around for a while on this thread. Moved to the area a few years ago.

Cutter, good to hear that you have made the place your home. I hope you never see something you are not supposed to. :ohwow:

Did they find materials regarding the job he was supposed to do for the unknown man? He took papers with him, but other things? Like drawings of what he was supposed to make. BTW, really handsome man.

Locals think he saw something he shouldn't have. I have talked to people who saw him the night before he disappeared, and he did not seem any different than usual.

There have been other rumors, like he had a gambling problem, but nothing has never been substantiated. He had a fascination with hobos and trains, and the Dollar General store where his truck was found sits across the road from railroad tracks, but there is no evidence he hopped a train. There were rumors someone had killed him and built a koi pond over the body, but that was also unsubstantiated. All these theories have been published in MSM, so not putting anything here that has not been made public.

This area in itself is VERY different from other parts of the country. I moved here from the Northeast, where in even a "rural" situation is not really rural. Rural here is acres and acres of undeveloped land, some of which is not maintained in any way and very dense. There is kudzu vine that grows so aggressively it can cover a house in one season. There are bobcats, coyotes and buzzards that will scavange and pick a carcass clean in a matter of hours.

They have not identified the job site David was visiting, at least if they did they have not made it public. I think every effort to do so was exhausted, including flyovers and people driving the roads specifically looking. The issue here is there is a ton of secluded area between the hills and the hollers. There are areas people have not accessed in years, so the amount of overgrowth is incredible, especially during summer months.

Taking the locale into consideration, meth and pill abuse here runs rampant. Mobile meth labs are quite common, and last year a meth lab was busted in a hotel right off the interstate, within 10 miles of where David went missing. You only need to go to the local Walmart to recognize meth users- super skinny, gaunt with horrible teeth. Pill addiction is so common here abusers are called "pillbillies".

In the Northeast, I had a job that required me to be on farms. I was trained by my employer on how to handle certain situations, like how to recognize illegal activity like drugs and what to do if I came upon certain situations, like finding a meth lab (get the hell out of the area as quickly as possible and alert the police). I did this job for 16 years and never felt I was in danger or a situation that I could not get out. I would not do that job in this area, especially because I feel there are too many possibilities of stumbling onto something unsavory around here.

Since David was self-employed and lived semi off-the-grid, he might not have had the information to know he was at risk, or even in danger. He very easily could have stumbled on someone or something he should not have.

I also do know the community has not forgotten him. There are still flyers up stating the circumstances of his disappearance and a couple different businesses still have his paintings displayed.

Hi nannymo, cutter has been around for a while on this thread. Moved to the area a few years ago.

Cutter, good to hear that you have made the place your home. I hope you never see something you are not supposed to. :ohwow:

Thanks ZaZara! I do have to say this is a wonderful place to live and most of the people here are truly wonderful. It is a move we have not regretted, except for the fact we wish we had gotten here sooner.

We know our neighbors and are more than aware when something questionable is going on. As a community, we work to keep an eye on each other and what goes on around us. Other areas are certainly not aware as the one I live in.

I think you're right. He had no money, so must have been either a conflict or stumbling upon secrets.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mzkarenadams
Back