Found Deceased TN - David Riemens, 60, Watertown, 8 Aug 2012

Solitary, off-grid living ends with solitary, off-grid dying. This story would be a hell of a lot less mysterious if there were information about the condition of the truck but once again with the solitary lifestyle, David may have been the only one with keys to it so it wouldn't be readily apparent if it was in running condition or not.

I personally have no trouble imagining that his truck wouldn't start or maybe even was just giving him some trouble so he parked it at the nearest convenient spot and set off on foot to retrieve a tool or fuel additive or whatever from his home and succumbed to the heat/a medical event. He seems like the kind of person who would fix his own truck and he's definitely not the kind of person who immediately calls for help.

It seems less likely to me that he was murdered, but not impossible. Why would his killers go so far out of their way with his body but leave his truck right there to be found? Why tear pages out of his journal instead of just taking the whole journal? A lot of this reporting seems like speculative (if not wholly fabricated) clickbait.

Solitary, off-grid living ends with solitary, off-grid dying. This story would be a hell of a lot less mysterious if there were information about the condition of the truck but once again with the solitary lifestyle, David may have been the only one with keys to it so it wouldn't be readily apparent if it was in running condition or not.

I personally have no trouble imagining that his truck wouldn't start or maybe even was just giving him some trouble so he parked it at the nearest convenient spot and set off on foot to retrieve a tool or fuel additive or whatever from his home and succumbed to the heat/a medical event. He seems like the kind of person who would fix his own truck and he's definitely not the kind of person who immediately calls for help.

It seems less likely to me that he was murdered, but not impossible. Why would his killers go so far out of their way with his body but leave his truck right there to be found? Why tear pages out of his journal instead of just taking the whole journal? A lot of this reporting seems like speculative (if not wholly fabricated) clickbait.

David Riemens was living in the treehouse on the property of two very good friends, the Nuessles, next to their home.
David drove to the parking lot of the Dollar General at 10 o'clock in the morning, supposedly because he had a meeting with a client. He spoke with a friend on that parking lot. He did not mention problems with the car.
If he had problems of any kind, his friends think that he would have made a call from the store.

David's car keys, wallet and money are missing. It has never made public if these items were found on or near the remains. If they were found there, a medical episode is the most likely cause. If not, it could be murder with robbery.

I found the article from 2022 titled

How did death claim David Riemens?​

and this time without a subscription block! I'll post a few snippets.

How did death claim David Riemens? - Main Street Media of Tennessee

Next Monday (2022) marks the 10th anniversary of the disappearance of David Reimens, a gifted stone mason, artist and Bohemian soul who made his home in a tree house between Watertown and Shop Springs.

For 1,992 days, his vanishing proved to be the longest missing person case in Wilson County.

On Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018, a human skull was found on a wooded hillside off Taylor Road near Sparta Pike about two and a half miles from Watertown. Three days later, lawmen uncovered a skeleton nearby. Forensics tests on the bones confirmed the remains were Riemens.’

For nearly 10 years, Detective Maj. Robert Stafford with the Wilson County Sheriff’s Department Criminal Investigation’s Division has carried a brick in the back seat of his truck; a brick that one day may unlock the mystery of how Riemens died. Or maybe not.

Riemens, 60 years old when he went missing, stood about 5-feet-8-inches tall and weighed 180 pounds. He had blue eyes, brown hair, a moustache, sideburns and goatee and normally wore a ponytail. He was last seen around 1:30 p.m. Aug. 8, 2012, in the Watertown Dollar General parking lot where he left his white 1997 Ford Ranger pick-up truck.

He abandoned all his personnel possessions including a beloved dog, a packed traveling bag, an array of dazzling and colorful yet enigmatic oil paintings that often featured trains, hobos, dragons, sprites and mythical Indian coyote dancers,and, most precious, he left four siblings (a sister had died in a car wreck in 1995) and a community of caring friends.

The brick in Stafford’s vehicle is one of two that he removed from the back of Riemens’ truck. The second brick, untouched, is preserved in an evidence room. The bricks are believed to have come from a property where the rock layer hoped to begin a new job for a person he was to meet the afternoon he dropped out of sight.

“If I follow up on a lead and bricks are there, I can compare,” said Stafford, who has been involved in every murder investigation in Wilson County over the past 10 years except for two or three. “We’ve solved every one but one because the suspect has passed.”

He noted that in Riemens’ case what had been a missing person investigation case changed to a death investigation once his remains had been found. It is not a homicide investigation because forensics tests on the skull and bones did not show signs of violence.

Stafford keeps the case file, No. 12-15982, which holds more than a thousand pages, close at hand. “I keep it active and on my desk at all times,” said the detective, who estimated he has interviewed 85-100 people while working the investigation.

Asked when he last got a lead, he shared, “Well, as you know, the case is featured on the television show, ‘Disappeared.’ Each time that show airs, we get a flood of calls. As far as good information, the last local and good lead came approximately one year ago.”

Of the ongoing investigation, Stafford said, “The most haunting thing about the case would be not being able to this point to provide closure to the family and friends. Equally, to determine what happened leading up to his death.”

Describing their relationship, Jackson said, “We knew him pretty well. We did a number of things together, kayaked, threw darts and drank beer. He very easy to get along with and had a good sense of humor and was comfortable around people.

“The day before he disappeared, he was right here, talking about this guy he was going to do a rock job for. He was trying to tell me who this guy was but couldn’t remember his name. He kept saying, ‘Yeah, you know. He hangs around. You’ve seen him.’ And I said, ‘I just don’t know who that is.’

“That whole thing is kinda strange, that where he was working there was a pile of bricks somewhere on that property, and he kept talking about where it was. It was kind of unclear.”

As for what happened to Riemens, Jackson said, “I am deeply confused simply because he told us he was gonna go to Michigan the next day, yet his truck was found at the Dollar General parking lot. I don’t believe that he would just park his truck there and wander off. The only thing I can come up with is that he went off with somebody else and somehow it was connected to that job he was talking about, but who knows?

“It’s a mystery that probably won’t ever be solved, and he was a great guy, a genuinely wonderful person. He was a master stone mason and a creative guy, a painter. I’m sorry he’s gone.”

Delmas, too, is puzzled and added, “The big question is why he would leave his truck at Dollar General? He had four or five friends within walking distance that could have given him a ride. I think somebody accidentally caused his death or it was malicious.”

BBM

And once again, nothing about the car keys and the wallet...!

HI @cutter99 I've been thinking about this latest (for me) info. You made a strong case about why people in rural areas would walk straight through the fields. And next his friends say they don't get it, because he has four or five friends within walking distance that could have given him a ride.

That is tantamount to saying he would have asked them for that ride ~ even though it remains unclear why he would have needed it, but asking his friends would probably have clarified that too.

Brainscratch! :rolleyes:

But, if you are an independent person, living a very independent, off grid life, would you actually ask for a ride home? Or would you think, “Eh, it is only a couple miles home, and I can cut through this field to make it shorter!”

But, if you are an independent person, living a very independent, off grid life, would you actually ask for a ride home? Or would you think, “Eh, it is only a couple miles home, and I can cut through this field to make it shorter!”

From what I read in the next parts of the report from 2022, David had plans for the day, and in the evening he would visit a friend to help her with a task.
IMO he did not have all the time in the world to do or to solve whatever it was. There was nothing wrong with his truck after all.
I've considered that he may have been on his way back from his house to his truck, but if that was the case and he had gone home to fetch something, it was never mentioned in the press what that object would have been. (Plus the dog would have barked, alerting the Nuessles.) If it wasn't anything for the car ~because there was nothing wrong with it ~ then why didn't he drive home?

His friends knew him, and had known him for a long time. They are surprised that he did not ask the friends nearby for help. Also, the area where his remains were found, was not searched at the time. If David Riemens had a habit of walking home from the dollar store, wouldn't his friends have known about it and insisted on searching that entire route?

IMO given the place where he was found, in the eyes of his friends he had done something (or something was done to him) that was out of the ordinary.

Maybe his simply did that. Went for a walk and suffered a medical episode.
Or maybe he did not.

I'm on the fence with this one. Both theories make sense.

I posted previously that there could have been an issue with his truck that would have caused it to not start, but if it sat for a period of time, especially until the day’s temperature cooled down, the truck would have started. Specifically a vapor lock.

Vapor locking can occur after fueling a vehicle. He could have gotten gas, drove to Dollar General, then experienced the vapor lock when he went to leave Dollar General. Many people like to start trips with a full tank of gas.

If I recall, David’s truck was not immediately moved when he came up missing.

Here is the other thing I repeatedly go back to- if David were killed in some nefarious manner, why dump his body so close to where he lived?

Tennessee has an uncountable number of sink holes. It also has many lakes. It has a very healthy coyote population. It has black headed vultures that can pick a cattle carcass clean in 24-48 hours. Many isolated areas, even close to big cities such as Nashville.

The area David was found in is by no stretch remote. It is close to a very busy road. There are much more remote areas very close to where David’s remains were found. Why not dump his remains in a more remote area, potentially with a sink hole, and let nature run its course?

The other question to ask was the motive to kill David? What would someone gain by David’s death?

Here is the other thing I repeatedly go back to- if David were killed in some nefarious manner, why dump his body so close to where he lived?

Tennessee has an uncountable number of sink holes. It also has many lakes. It has a very healthy coyote population. It has black headed vultures that can pick a cattle carcass clean in 24-48 hours. Many isolated areas, even close to big cities such as Nashville.

The area David was found in is by no stretch remote. It is close to a very busy road. There are much more remote areas very close to where David’s remains were found. Why not dump his remains in a more remote area, potentially with a sink hole, and let nature run its course?

The other question to ask was the motive to kill David? What would someone gain by David’s death?

You beat me to it! :) I was doing the dishes and thinking the same. If The Old Man & The Bricks were somehow involved, why go through all the trouble of returning to town and to that spot? That does not make sense either.

Motive I don't know. Some people are evil and that is all it takes. Maybe he saw something he should not have seen. Maybe they wanted his money. (Wallet! Car keys! I hope one day we will hear about them.)

The other thing - vapor lock. Wouldn't David Riemens have recognized it for what it was? Vapor lock will disappear over time, or you can help it disappear by cooling the system. I read something about wet blankets, or even ice cubes in a bucket (?).... really? Not much of a car mechanic, sorry! ;)

Some people might recognize a vapor lock, some might not. It depends on how much auto experience they have.

One of the reasons that came to me was I had a company truck that was a Ford Ranger of about the same age as David’s. It vapor locked on a hot summer day, right after I had filled the gas tank.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back