California WildFires 2017

Thinking of you all and hoping you can keep safe. Praying for rain for you from West Wales.

yesterday when I picked my child up from school, I couldn't see the hills that are right there... the air quality is so poor... so much smoke... and im all the way in san jose.

I lived in santa rosa 2000-2002. its hard to fathom a huge fire burning so much of a CITY.

It's awful. I live in San Francisco. When I left my house this morning, I had ash on my shirt, and the air was thick with smoke. I can't imagine what it's like up north. [emoji173]️

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

my friend in PA was saying that nationwide, hardly anyone is sharing news on it. I have an idea why but this isn't the place.

That makes me want to throw up. So many lives have just been turned upside down. It's so sad, and I can't believe WS hasn't exploded with comments and interest over this devastating and dangerous situation.

I have a friend who lives in Napa that just yesterday told me the media was sensationalizing and exaggerating the situation. I honestly don't think she had left her home to know the truth of what is happening. I am glad she is lucky that the firestorms have avoided her area so far, but I'm a little mad that she was being so cold and unfeeling about the losses of property and lives - human and animal. I hope she continues to be fortunate, and shows some sympathy and compassion for her community.

I lost the link but the death toll is 28 now.

also I heard this on the radio Monday morning but during the initial blaze IN santa rosa early Monday morning, a chevron blew up and took out a whole k mart and trader joe's.

I lost the link but the death toll is 28 now.

also I heard this on the radio Monday morning but during the initial blaze IN santa rosa early Monday morning, a chevron blew up and took out a whole k mart and trader joe's.

Upthread there is a post about which rumors are false. I’m not sure about Kmart but Trader Joe’s suffered major damage but is still there.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...f-Buildings-Destroyed&p=13686912#post13686912

28 and climbing I’m sure. Words fail.

Praying for everyone affected. I cannot believe this isn't making headline news. I'm in the UK but I only heard via friends in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the fires are in Southern California as well? This is horrific.http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/0...sneyland-anaheim-in-dramatic-smoky-skies.html
The current map https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=36.71040514750433,-120.75963467886277&z=6

attachment.php

Attachments

• fires.PNG
    fires.PNG
    102.2 KB · Views: 101
FWIW Here’s a Twitter feed from the Mendocino County Sheriff. The tweet times are jumbled up but It looks like Potter Valley is burning. It had already been evacuated. It appears that the Mendocino Lake Complex Fire is not getting as much news coverage as the Napa Valley fires. A reporter explained that they aren’t in their news coverage area. :mad:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/MendocinoLakeComplex?src=hashtag_click

Keep an eye on Kym Kemp’s newsblog in Southern Humboldt County. Someone in the Mendocino fire zone was only able to get news from Kym because local news coverage is so bad. Kym is always amazing covering fires.

http://kymkemp.com/2017/10/12/23-de...-mendocino-lake-sonoma-and-napa-county-fires/

Help from the Eureka Police Department headed south this morning. A trailer containing large animal food, gift cards and other necessities to help those affected. Please read the comment by a woman whose friend lost everything except her car. It is an eloquent description of the impact of this loss. Multiply that by thousands.

http://kymkemp.com/2017/10/11/epd-w...nations-for-fire-victims-in-mendocino-county/

Canyon 2 was only five miles form my house. Right over the hill from my law partner's home. (He briefly evacuated his kids) It destroyed my beloved Peter's Canyon which I go to at least 3 times a week.

My back and front yards are filled with what looks like charcoal and burned leaves but when you touch the charcoal, it disintegrates like ash.

We had no deaths and not anywhere close to the loss of homes as up north but I still cried to see the destruction.

That very morning I was hiking peter's canyon. I took a photo of a man with a bunch of dogs. It was super windy with Santa Ana winds and I was in the middle of dust storms at times.

A few hours later my law partner and I are were at lunch in Orange and the sky and smoke were insane. People who had been evacuated form Anaheim Hills were in the restaurant. We had no idea that within an hour or so it would jump over to the Cowan Heights area which where my law partner lives.

Within hours Peter's Canyon was decimated.

I could not believe what I saw up north. It is mind-boggling that huge swaths of flat neighborhoods were burnt to ash and all those people trapped and dead. I have never seen anything like that. It's usually houses in the hills near the wild areas. It seems to stop at a certain point when it starts entering neighborhoods. But not this.

I think we need those tsunami type alarms in neighborhoods that are vulnerable.

Count at 29. Horrendous
I'm listening to the scanner (posted downstairs) and it's really amazing how hard these firefighters are working and coordinating on no sleep.

Many thanks to those who have wished me well.

Rumor seems to be just as informative as MSM here. I was out and about today, and was informed the fire is half a mile south of our brand new hospital. There are tree lines running on either side of it; here's hoping it's far enough out on open ground to survive if overrun.

We live north of there, on the far side of a large pasture that should act as a firebreak. PG&E crews are restoring gas service just around the corner. The sky is blue. You wouldn't even know there's a fire nearby.

In answer to a previous post, we don't have Santa Anas up here. Santa Anas depend on marine effect for their force. We are inland of the Coastal Range, which blocks marine influence--thank God. So, we do have winds up, and we are having winds at present, but no Santa Anas. 50 mph gusts are bad enough. And I hope they continue to blow away from us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back