Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Lyle is your brother, that would mean he was 35 when he died. Anythings possible I suppose, but I feel like Lyle was in his 20s in 2001. JMO

Good luck with the dna kit [emoji4] keep us posted!

I pondered this too bears, it puts him at the high age spectrum if he's my brother. It was the main reason I said no way initially too, before so many coincidences came about lately that are indeed compelling..

i acknowledge it is a long shot that has intriguing elements for further inquiry. To rule out or confirm.

Conversely, my folk live to be quite old often and grey either prematurely or VERY late in life..

People tell me I lie if I am over 35 now lol, but alas I'm much older, so idk.. My mom and possibly his mother is still not grey and in her 70's.

Thanks for for the kind wishes on the DNA front :)

I pondered this too bears, it puts him at the high age spectrum if he's my brother. It was the main reason I said no way initially too, before so many coincidences came about lately that are indeed compelling..

i acknowledge it is a long shot that has intriguing elements for further inquiry. To rule out or confirm.

Conversely, my folk live to be quite old often and grey either prematurely or VERY late in life..

People tell me I lie if I am over 35 now lol, but alas I'm much older, so idk.. My mom and possibly his mother is still not grey and in her 70's.

Thanks for for the kind wishes on the DNA front :)

If you look around some other forums, there are a couple of people whose DNA has matched to lyles as distant relatives. While I don’t think he was 35, I do hope you find answers about your brother, whether it’s Lyle or not. My best friend just met her birth mom after many years of searching for her, so I understand how meaningful it is. Best!

If you look around some other forums, there are a couple of people whose DNA has matched to lyles as distant relatives. While I don’t think he was 35, I do hope you find answers about your brother, whether it’s Lyle or not. My best friend just met her birth mom after many years of searching for her, so I understand how meaningful it is. Best!
I better find these threads and check them out..

I am glad he is finding his people :)

That is wonderful news for your friend!

I appreciate your best wishes bears :)

I strongly feel I will find him, especially with the kind websleuthers offering assistance and support to this end! Bless you all..

If you look around some other forums, there are a couple of people whose DNA has matched to lyles as distant relatives. While I don’t think he was 35, I do hope you find answers about your brother, whether it’s Lyle or not. My best friend just met her birth mom after many years of searching for her, so I understand how meaningful it is. Best![/

I better find these threads and check them out..

I am glad he is finding his people :)

That is wonderful news for your friend!

I appreciate your best wishes bears :)

I strongly feel I will find him, especially with the kind websleuthers offering assistance and support to this end! Bless you all..

Hopefully testing your DNA will give you answers. But if not, feel free to reach out to me and I can share how my best friend found her mom. I’d prefer to not post publicly since I feel like it’s not really my place to do so.

Hopefully testing your DNA will give you answers. But if not, feel free to reach out to me and I can share how my best friend found her mom. I’d prefer to not post publicly since I feel like it’s not really my place to do so.

mighty kind bears ;-) it is appreciated :)

Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. It can be very intimidating and while we're somewhat sheltered here in the safe place Trish has made for us, it's still part of the real world and there can be real world consequences.
thank you for understanding carbuff.. Exactly my sentiments to ponder..

Thank you Eu Tu Croquet :)

I have loved and longed for him for decades :(

I was indeed shocked to discover how recently slavery still existed in this culture, or that it was widespread practice :( After reading about genizaros last year my heart broke even more for my mother and our families as I pondered what exactly they endured and gained an understanding into my family that resulted in forgiveness of them on my end and explained my ancestral pain. It may sound VERY weird, but I think it possible that we harbor ancestral memories encoded in our DNA too.
I have been tormented about my family as long as I can remember, and reading through the pedigrees online seems to trigger memories for me of a hazy inexplicable sort. I hope I'm not crazy lol , but what if memories are stored in our DNa map and we don't know it yet? I digress lol.. But enquiring minds ask non traditional questions aye?

You might be interested in this study about fear transcending generations via DNA .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6ca94801fac_story.html?utm_term=.4b15671780ad

Have there been any new updates from DNA Doe Project on Lyle's case?

I can't wait for the conclusion on Lyle! With Buckskin Girl identified and Lyle very close it will be interesting to see what the next big identification will be.

Too many OT posts folks !! People come here to read about Lyle's case.

:wave:

Thanks for sharing your experiences as well as tips and insight roselvr :)

My mother was coerced into giving up her beautiful son too to Catholic community Services in the late1960's.

They claim not to know where his records are :(

adoption registries ( we registered over 20 years ago ) claim we haven't registered.

It has been harder than expected to find him and time ticks by :(

and yes, how to be taken seriously if one claims missing status with the initial adoption as the only reason in the minds eye of le..

i am so excited to submit DNA finally!!

My brother and I are both catholic adoptees. Him in 81 me in 83. Both from separate families. I chose to find my bio people and he did not. Apparently that’s pretty common place from males.

Also how does everyone know if they matched to Lyle on DNA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was so happy to hear that Buckskin girl has been identified, I keep checking every day for Lyle's results. I never thought he was any kind of criminal, or involved in 9/11 in any way, I think he was a sad, lonely, depressed young man who may have been outcast from his family or aged out of a foster care system.

***Little mini update from DNA Doe Project on Lyle.***

One hour ago someone asked 'Are you still working on Lyle's case?' in the comment section for their most recent post (Q&A about Marcia aka Buckskin Girl).

Margaret Press (DNA Doe Project co-founder) just replied: 'Yes. He's tough. All his DNA matches are related to each other. It will take lots of time and lots of skill.'

One hour ago someone asked 'Are you still working on Lyle's case?' in the comment section for their most recent post (Q&A about Marcia aka Buckskin Girl).

Margaret Press (DNA Doe Project co-founder) just replied: 'Yes. He's tough. All his DNA matches are related to each other. It will take lots of time and lots of skill.'

Wow .. and ya know I sure thought we would know whom Kyle was before any of their cases ... was I ever wrong on that.

Wait wait will do .DDP. :loveyou:

>>Margaret Press (DNA Doe Project co-founder) just replied: 'Yes. He's tough. All his DNA matches are related to each other. It will take lots of time and lots of skill.'

Can someone who is DNA-savvy, explain this to me. If his DNA matches are related to one another, then are those same DNA matches not related to him? And does anyone know or recall how many DNA matches they have found thus far.

Also, yes, I too thought "Lyle" was in his twenties when he died, but certain heritages can be deceiving that way. Often the older ones *look* younger. Also, don't know why I think this, but the fact that he wore braces on his teeth very well might be a factor in helping to identify him once the closest matches are found, even if he was later adopted.

I can't stand the tension! But completely appreciate the efforts and understand how (relatively) slow it can seem when actually, things are moving at a very quick pace after a long time of not much!

What does that mean exactly? His relatives all being related? Just that fact makes it hard to pinpoint his immediate family?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

What does that mean exactly? His relatives all being related? Just that fact makes it hard to pinpoint his immediate family?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I'm not completely sure, but I think it means there was a lot of inter-marrying of cousins (or closer relatives). JMO.

DDP Update

➡️ We need YOUR help! ⬅️
As many of you know, we are the DNA Doe Project, a nonprofit organization that utilizes pioneering genetic genealogy techniques to identify John and Jane Does in an effort to return them to their families. Recently we announced our first successful identification of Marcia King, previously known as “Buckskin Girl” and we are working diligently to solve our other active John and Jane Doe cases.

Our volunteers have been working around the clock to identify “Lyle Stevik”/Quinault John Doe, an unidentified individual who died in Washington state in 2001. We have been extremely fortunate to find many of his DNA matches through the online DNA database GEDmatch.com. “Lyle’s” DNA matches appear to be mainly people of Hispanic descent in Northern New Mexico and surrounding regions.

➡️ How you can help? ⬅️
✅ We encourage people who are from these regions and who have used commercial DNA services such as Ancestry or 23&Me to consider downloading their raw DNA data and uploading it to GEDmatch. A DNA database is only as strong as the number of users included, and although we have many excellent matches to “Lyle,” there is strength in numbers!

✅ If you have already uploaded your raw DNA data to GEDmatch, we thank you for helping us to achieve our mission. Please understand that if your GEDmatch kit is a DNA match to Lyle, we cannot tell you if you are a close match to “Lyle,” nor can we share this information due to privacy concerns for the families involved. If you have further questions or want to learn more about our mission and methods, please follow our Facebook page and check out our website (www.dnadoeproject.org).

✅ As trite as it sounds, liking, commenting, and sharing our Facebook posts, or tagging friends helps us to increase the visibility of the project. Inviting friends who are interested in the goals of the DDP is also helpful

✅ Donating to our Doe Fund Me is of course helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member