GUILTY CA - Gabriel Fernandez, 8, tortured to death, Palmdale, 22 May 2013

:hug: Bree, I am one of those people too. No babies of my own, but I did have the joy of helping to raise my ex's daughter when she came to live with us, but we are no longer together so

Here's a link, from Tuesday I think.
http://www.northwestohio.com/ndnvideo?id=24879565#.UbqYy-esiSo

Birth vessel and nasty bf in court. So cute, she got some little braids in her hair :rolleyes: Glad she can still find the will to enjoy the little things while she sitting her azz in the slammer the nasty *^&ch!

And big boy almost looks scared...wonder if it's occurred to him that that is how Gabriel felt everytime he had to be around them?

Kinda OT, but sometimes I wish for the days when the only news I heard was our local & the world news (which seems to do it's best NOT to cover cases like this). I was so unaware and ignorant of not only how horrific people can be to their own children, but also how often :sigh:

"My first report was from October," said Jennifer Garcia, Gabriel's teacher. "And in every single report I made, there was enough information in that report that he should have been removed that first October."

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9118326
Jennifer Garcia, who said she was Gabriel's teacher, told KNBC-TV Channel 4 that she frequently called the Department of Children and Family Services to no avail. She said the boy told her he had been shot in the face by a BB gun and had "perfectly circled bruises all over his face."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...gers-la-county-probe-20130529,0,7967067.story

If I had been in Jennifer Garcia's place, I don't care what the consequences would have been. I would have made sure Gabriel did not go back into that home.

I rarely read in this section, it hurts too much.

I totally understand the sentiment Knox, but then you would have been in jail, Gabriel would have been returned to his mother with the same result :(

And yes, they all hurt too much.

I totally understand the sentiment Knox, but then you would have been in jail, Gabriel would have been returned to his mother with the same result :(

And yes, they all hurt too much.

Could she have called LE to respond to the school, informed them that she was making reports to CPS with to no avail? Could she have contacted a local media source and asked for anonymity in calling attention to reports made to CPS with no action being taken?

TL, I just feel like someone should have went above and beyond. Even jail, to call attention to Gabriel and Lord knows how many other children who are/were suffering.

:hug:

I just know I am sick to death of reading these cases day in and day out. It wears on the soul and feeling helpless to end this madness doesn't help.

Every time I contemplate what those animals did to that bright eyed little man my heart breaks a bit more.

BBs to his face. The dress, the humiliation. Burns, bruises, skin ripped from his little neck. I wander through my days now looking at the people around me, the lady in the grocery store, the man at the gas station wondering, is that person going home to beat their child tonight? What does life look like in that person's home? Is all as it should be?

I hate it.

To get EVERYONE from EVERY department who failed this child fired AND prosecuted.
Yes. Prosecuted and jailed.
THEN maybe these child protective service employees will think twice about ignoring pleas from teachers, family members and the victims-when they know that they themselves are up for jail time and conspiracy related to the death of a child that was on their watch.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

QUOTE=LaborDayRN;9521229]She did the right thing yet I'm sure she's left feeling devastated.[/QUOTE]

I am so fracking mad at this department, everyone who oversees them and the idiots who placed them in these positions and kept them there that I cannot stand it.
Maybe Michele Obama should make Child Protective Services-their abuses both for their condemming the innocents and their lack of REALLY saving the endangered as her focal point for the next 2 years.
What a fracking mess this government agency is!
We see it time and time again.
IMO Child protective services needs a complete overhaul.
Obviously, these child protective workers do not know how to protect the children they're hired to protect!
What's stopping them? I just cannot believe that these workers don't give a carp about children.
Is it the ACLU?
Is it laws that prevent them from investigating?
Are they just trying to cover their jobs and butts?

Is there no one in this system that would risk their jobs in order to stop the torture of a child?
OH. How I would love to get Everyone involved in this case into a room.
Both the people who tried to save him by reporting what they saw and heard and the child protective service employees. In that room-I want a bulldog attorney who is not afraid to take on our government and it's employees.

QUOTE=fhc;9522743]http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/ar...-after-signs-of-abuse-were-missed-4565573.php

The boy had written a note saying he was thinking about suicide and his teacher told authorities he often appeared bruised and battered.

Gabriel died at a hospital on May 24 after paramedics went to his house in Palmdale and found that he had a fractured skull, three broken ribs, BB pellets embedded in his lung and groin, and two teeth knocked out.

There were six investigations into abuse allegations involving the mother, with five determining the claims were unfounded. Records show there was an unresolved case of alleged abuse at the time of Gabriel's death, and an allegation had lingered two months past a legally mandated deadline for finishing an investigation.
"The red flags were all over the place. They were ignored. It is just inexplicable to me," said county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky.
The county's Department of Children and Family Services has been trying to institute reforms after dozens of abuse and neglect deaths in recent years involving children who had been under the agency's supervision.
A recent internal review of the department found there haven't been any workers fired in 15 cases where children died. It also has a backlog of child abuse cases.

cute picture of Gabriel here

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0531-child-death-20130530,0,3314607.story

several nice pictures of Gabriel here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stigations-social-workers-went-unnoticed.html[/QUOTE]

I dunno why i read this whole section. I too go everywhere and look at peoples faces wondering if they abuse their kids. I'm so paranoid now!!

PALMDALE (CBSLA.com) Social workers gathered outside the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) on Friday to protest the death of an eight-year-old boy from Palmdale.

“We grieve when our neighbors and friends in the community grieve and this tragedy for us has helped us reach a point when we're gonna stop being afraid to speak out,” Jerry Dominguez, a social worker, said.

“We need less cases. I can't properly assess 34 kids every month and make sure they're safe. It is not physically possible,”

http://worldnewsviews.com/2013/06/29/county-social-workers-speak-out-in-wake-of-palmdale-boys-death/

:sigh: I don't blame them for demanding changes and hiring more people. If they do get more help, maybe it will save a childs' life.
Sadly, it's too little, too late for Gabriel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/la-social-workers-fired_n_3682987.html

LA Social Workers Fired in Connection With Tortured Death Of Gabriel Fernandez

Four county Department of Child and Family Services employees will be fired over their involvement in the case of Gabriel Fernandez, the 8-year-old Palmdale boy who died in May, after allegedly being tortured by his mother's live-in boyfriend.

According to a statement from County Supervisor Michael Antonovich, the four include two social workers and two supervisors.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0804-sanders-reform-20130804,0,113817.story

David Sanders to lead Los Angeles County child protection panel
New child protection group elects former Department of Children and Family Services head David Sanders to lead county reform effort.

Sanders said the commission would take a big-picture look at all relevant county departments and contractors with a simple mission: "There has to be confidence that people are treated fairly and kids are safe," he said.

The best news to come out of this tragedy so far. When so many reports were ignored and glossed over, people have to be accountable, imo

Nothing new, really. I just wanted to check & see when our lil mans' brutal killers are going to court.
Interesting quote from family member concerning when birth vessel "re-claimed" her children who had been living with a family member

"In October, relatives said Fernandez suddenly reclaimed Gabriel and two siblings from her parents. Emily Carranza, Gabriel's cousin, alleged "it was for the welfare money." Fernandez told social workers she was concerned about the treatment of her son by relatives.

Within days, a call came to the child-abuse hotline alleging Fernandez was physically abusing the children. Social workers determined there was neglect in the home but allowed Fernandez to keep her children and enter counseling."

The more I read (and re-read) all of these reports I think of all of the chances that people had to save Gabriels' life, and it makes me literally sick to my stomach.
Also, I've actually had an on-line argument (not here at ws, at a news site) about social services. The person that tripped my trigger was raging about social services & how they had let a child down by not being on top of things. Now that part I didn't have a problem with, but in my thinking, CPS is and should be the LAST defender/protector of children. The first, should and always be the parents. Parents are the ones who are supposed to love, protect, defend, and take care of their children. That is their duty, their commitment to those children.
The problem I had with this on-line person was that she was convinced that CPS were the real monsters, the ones who had failed this child. And to a point, she was correct. Things got all pissy when I suggested that the parents were the ones first and foremost, but she didn't want to hear that.
Forgive me for going on and on, I just meant to say that in some cases I will defend CPS workers. Often they aren't given enough information, family doesn't want to cooperate, etc.
This was not the case for Gabriel. He had family members and a teacher who dearly loved him, and tried so many times to get him out of that witches' house, but they either closed the case as "unfounded", or knew that abuse/neglect was happening, but chose to let him stay there anyway.
Now Gabriel is dead, those people that tried to help are grieving, and I'm sure to some degree, riddled with guilt, probably thinking "Is there anything more I could've done?"
And the hosebags that did this to him are sitting on their butts in jail, free room & board, 3 meals a day, probably television & library priveleges, and attorneys who will do their best to get them as little time as possible. All of which we are paying for.
Sorry for the rant, but reading about all of these kids being beaten, broken, neglected and murdered gets to me, and for some reason Gabriel is one of the ones I think of every day. And it hurts my heart, as I know it hurts yours too.

Ok, I'm stepping off the :rant: :blushing:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/aug/13/local/la-me-ln-palmdale-fernandez-court-20130813

PALMDALE – More than 75 volunteers turned out Saturday to lend a hand in painting and cleaning Palmdale’s newest Neighborhood House.

Palmdale Neighborhood House #3 is named “Gabriel’s House,” in memory of eight-year-old Gabriel Fernandez, who was tragically killed this year after prolonged child abuse.

Gabriel’s House will provide children in the area with the opportunity to develop their creative talents, city officials said.

The 1,400-square-foot, three-bedroom home is expected to be completely transformed into a music and performing arts center by next month, according to Mike Miller, Director of Neighborhood Services for the City of Palmdale. The garage is being converted into a dance studio, with hardwood floors and mirrored walls, Miller said. The bedrooms will serve as music rooms where children will receive lessons in singing and playing musical instruments, Miller said. Three pianos were donated to the house already, Miller added.

http://theavtimes.com/2013/09/08/making-a-difference-at-gabriels-house/

LANCASTER, Calif. (KTLA) — The arraignment for a Lancaster woman and her boyfriend accused of torturing and killing her 8-year-old son has been continued until October.

Pearl Fernandez, 29, and Isuaro Aguirre, 32, both appeared in court Tuesday and were scheduled to return Oct. 7.

They have been charged with one count each of capital murder and a special circumstance of torture.

palmdale-torture.jpg

Read more: http://ktla.com/news/stories/couple-charged-in-torture-murder-of-8-year-old-boy/#ixzz2eeXjZ1ME

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holliryann
Back