Could this be Rose? Discussion on possible matches.

Hi All,

I submitted a possible match for Rose to the Flint MI PD. I haven't heard anything from LE, but a reporter contacted me about it. (I wonder how the reporter found out I contacted the police)....
Hello --

I'm a reporter for the Flint Journal in Flint, Mi. I'm trying to reach
K---- W-------, who recently contacted police about Rose Leanna Cole.

If I've reached the right address, would you please call me at (810)
766-6313? I'd like to pursue this as a possible news story.

Thanks, Ken P....

Oh how cool! I hope they contact you ASAP, the family must be really busy, or have given up hope, a local story could really lift their spirits as well as stir up some memories for some Flint old timers. Hopefully it all works out. As far as the News guy, that's weird...did you give LE your address & phone number?, maybe your UID turned out to be Rose, and there was a leak to the media...:silenced: I sent a generic e-mail (no personal info)to the VA LE for a possible match for a different spot light case on Wednesday, and imagine my surprise when the FBI called me on Friday regarding the VA Doe...they knew more about me than I do...LOL (Big Brother is watching you ...LOL)

Anyway, the tough thing about these older cases is unless the family stays involved and is willing to urge LE to exhume a body and retrieve DNA, they'll never get solved. Even if they turn out to not be matches, at least the DNA will get put into CODIS and possibly be solved for another family.

What UID did you submit? It would be nice if we could start a sticky no discussion thread dedicated to confirmed rule outs only. (are there any?)Anyway...good luck, keep us informed as you can.

I just realized I posted this by accident to the wrong forum. Sorry for the repeat.

Off Topic: Most of you probably already know this but I found it interesting. This is just FYI, for anyone who would like to know how old UIDs actually end up in CODIS. This cold case detective was very helpful and a really nice guy. I'll paraphrase his comments, as I was taking notes as quickly as I could.

Quote:
"We have hundreds of UIDs in our system from the 60's, 70's and the early 80's that have not been entered into the CODIS network, simply because DNA didn't exist to us in that time frame. If the Doe Network or other UID web sites says DNA is available, it usually means that the body was buried and not cremated, in which it can be exhumed to harvest DNA. With time constraints and budget issues we only exhume a body after a preliminary investigation with the family of a missing person and we (LE & family) feels it warranted."
He went on to say that after the a body is exhumed, and if it's not a match with the intended missing, then the DNA goes into CODIS, and they try to get various sites updated relaying the information.

I spoke with the reporter this evening. A while back I contacted the Michigan State Police and asked that Rose be added to their missing persons database. I initially spoke with Lt. Stephen Sipes who referred me to Sgt Greg Hosmer.

Sgt Hosmer contacted the reporter, Ken Palmer, and told him he heard from me about a case that he thought might make a good story.

Since I didn't find Rose, I gave him HoT's hat and the link to WS and some other links with info about Rose.

He went to the Genesee County court to confirm that Rose was sent to Synanon by the court. He was in disbelief that the courts would send a juvenile cross country to attend a treatment program. Of course he was told there are no records for the case.

I hope Yannette reads this or someone is able to get in contact with her. We finally have some media attention. We can't afford to let it slip away. I gave him the link to the letters. Those will definitely touch his heart.

He is going to read about the case and contact me when he is ready to print an article. If anyone has any info they think he should have that has not already been posted, please PM or email me so I can forward it to him

I'm still waiting from a call back from the LV detective. He said he'd get back with me the end of this week and so far nothing. I have also sent a couple letters to the Baltimore MD LE for the following Jane Doe.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/279ufmd.html

She looks close enough, hair color same...postmortem eye color "brown". Tall & same age group. She was found in 1976 in Maryland and she has a tattoo of the initials J. P. on her arm. (Maybe for Jesse/Pose?)

According to Yannette Rose didnt have any cavities. This person had dental work

According to Yannette Rose didnt have any cavities. This person had dental work

Both UID's I've been checking out have had extensive dental work. While it appears that Rose did not have any dental work done when she left in 1972, these girls where not found until 1976 & 79. As far as Rose's dental records, this is all we really know for sure:

Posted by Isabela PR on 11-19-06 # 138
She visited the Moss Dental Clinic in Flint MI. I obtained dental records to be compared with Jane Doe in CA. These were not a match. However, her stepmother (Opal) and step sisters (Brenda & Norma) are certain that the dental records were switch at one point. They think the records I obtained are Norma’s since Rose had no dental work done. The dental work show in the records matches Norma’s dental work.

Do you by chance know when the last time she had x-rays and an exam? I'm thinking she might not have been to the dentist for several years before she was sent away. My niece (14yr) goes to the dentist every 6 months. She has never had a cavity until her last visit and she had 4. IMHO until Roses dental Charts can be located and positively identified to be hers, Dental records are not a reliable method to ID Rose.

It is also my understanding that there was a medical and dental ward at the synanon. She could have been extensively treated there upon her arrival. I was just reading a study the other day about long term residents of the synanon having less cavities than the general public because refined sugar was not allowed. (from 1978 up) It appears that good oral hygiene was important there at least for awhile.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1651087

The waiting is killing me!
Has anyone heard anything? I left messages at both LE agencies I have been in contact with, but no calls have been returned...:banghead:

Any news from itsreenw? Any updates on the Media coverage, or your UID?

I am right there with you...just got an email yesterday from the person helping on my end with trying to pull the story together for the national side and she is BACK in the hospital, please keep her in your prayers.

I emailed Isbella a couple of times and no response. I think her computer may be down again.

I recently reformatted my desktop and backed everything up to disk, that is where her phone # is, I will have to try and find the time to go through the cds this weekend and find her #..I think Shadow may have it too...I'll call her before I go crazy looking.

There are so many cases that we are just waiting on...then things heat up we get excited, then wait wait wait again. It can be so frustrating!!!!

Unidentified White Female
  • The victim was discovered on September 5, 1973 in La Habra Heights, Los Angeles County, California
  • Estimated Date of Death: 30 to 90 days prior
  • Cause of death: Gunshot wound to head.

Vital Statistics
  • Estimated age: 14-19 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"; 100 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder length, light brown hair. Pierced ears. Her fingernails were painted orange.
  • Dentals: Available
  • Clothing/Jewelry: Green turtle neck, long sleeve sweater, size large; blue/pink & yellow halter top; light blue corduroy, medium size, pants with initials "S J" on the right rear pocket; blue tennis shoes with white bottoms, size 6M. Victim had pierced ears and was wearing gold metal earrings with peace symbol and a blue stone.
  • Fingerprints: Not obtained

Case History
The victim was located lying in an open grave 12" deep, 69 " long and 27" wide in a hilly area, near a fire road, East of Skyline Drive.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
LASD Homicide/Cold Case Unit
Richard Kennerly
323-890-5500

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Coroners # 73-14553
NCIC Number:
N/A

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
LASD Homicide/Cold Case Unit

Rose Lena Cole
Missing since the July 1, 1973 from Oakland, Alameda County, California
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: December 23, 1956
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"-5'6"; 120 -130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White Female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
  • Dentals: Not Available
  • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cole was last seen in Oakland, California in the summer of 1973.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Oakland Police Department
510-777-3333
or
510-238-3641

Agency Case Number:
07-017109

NCMEC #:
NCMC706857

NCIC Number:
M-026674029

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
CA DOJ

http://doenetwork.org/cases/584ufca.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2368dfca.html

Height is a bit off but the hair color matches. The victim probably weighed more previously because at 100 pounds, she was actually underweight

Wonder if we could find out what size shoes Rose wore. My daughter wears a 6 and she's only 8! I pretty much wear the same size now that I did as a teenager, and it sure wasn't a 6!!!

Is this recently added Doe too tall to be Rose?

http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase797.html

It sure could be Rose. Problem is if no DNA is available chances are she was cremated, so we might never know. I'm so fed up with LE and all these Jane Does. I just want to cry or scream...or both. They put them out there to see, read about and to sleuth, but Lord forbid you call them and suggest a match. Then you get the same old song and dance about how back logged they are. They never follow up, they don't return your calls, they treat you like you're a suspect.... It's just a wasted cause. Unless it's a little podunk one horse town, with one UID a century, they simply don't give a rats hind end.:boohoo:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go histerical. It's just SSSOOOO frustrating.

i wish a they had released a composite of rose with long gray hair. that's probably how she most likely would look if she ended up homeless.

i wish a they had released a composite of rose with long gray hair. that's probably how she most likely would look if she ended up homeless.

Send SieSie a PM! I bet she can do it! :D

First off, I wrote to this lady today, but have not received a reply yet. I've Googled Rose Cole a hundred times and never remember seeing this site. According to the 3rd link, (a poem this Rose wrote when she was 15), she is 2 years younger than "Our Rose" . But the poem depicts what Our Rose may have been going through at that time. The last link is a paper she wrote when she was 13, and also quite interesting.

Her picture in the first link resembles the age enhanced pic of Rose, except the eyes don't quit look the same. According to this site, she never finished high school, but did later get her GED and is now attending college. She lives in Canada. From what I can gather, she is not married, but has a male partner. She has a set of twins, (Girl/Boy). The girl has an uncanny resemblance to Rose, IMO. I ask that not every one contacts her, as I have already. I don't want to scare her off, but I do value others oppenion. Let me know what you think.

http://rosecole.ca/index.html
http://rosecole.ca/gallery/index.shtml
http://rosecole.ca/odds_n_ends/time.shtml
http://rosecole.ca/odds_n_ends/liberation.shtml

Well, I guess I must be entertaining myself. Received a nice response from the other Rose Cole:

Dear Lori,
No, I'm sorry that person is not me. I was born in Canada in 1960 and my middle name is Mary. I have seen information about this missing person, I wish you luck in your efforts to find her.
Regards,
Rose Cole

I guess the good news is she has seen info on Rose, so the word is getting around!

Well, I guess I must be entertaining myself. Received a nice response from the other Rose Cole:

Dear Lori,
No, I'm sorry that person is not me. I was born in Canada in 1960 and my middle name is Mary. I have seen information about this missing person, I wish you luck in your efforts to find her.
Regards,
Rose Cole

I guess the good news is she has seen info on Rose, so the word is getting around!

Good for you on contacting her!

This Jane Doe has been mentioned as a match before, surely, but I didn't see her on here (I may have missed it though):

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/209uftn.html

She looks an awful lot like Rose. Height and hair color are a match. She was likely homeless/transient.

I have read every post in this case. I could feel everyone's highs and lows throughout these many, many days all of you were looking so hard for Rose. I would so love to find that she really is still alive somewhere out there living a wonderful life.
I started reading yesterday and finished today. I am in awe of the work that has been put into finding Rose.
I appreciate having been able to read this thread.

I have read every post in this case. I could feel everyone's highs and lows throughout these many, many days all of you were looking so hard for Rose. I would so love to find that she really is still alive somewhere out there living a wonderful life.
I started reading yesterday and finished today. I am in awe of the work that has been put into finding Rose.
I appreciate having been able to read this thread.

Poor Rose, I feel bad we all abandoned her. When her family quit posting, I think many people just gave up. I think of Rose a lot, and think her and Pose have reunited and started a new life without all the baggage.

I have this happy little daydream that Pose and Rose live in the same neighborhood and have each others families over for backyard BBQ's every weekend. They drink a few beers, the kids and the grand kids stop by to visit and play, and they eat Ribs and chicken and play cards til late...and thank the Lord they found peace...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back