The Grim Sleeper. Update: Arrest in the Grim Sleeper Case!

Here is an update on the case of The Grim Reaper.

'Thin, neat, polite': The Sole Survivor of The Grim Sleeper Speaks Out

http://truecrimereport.com/

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-03-12/news/grim-sleeper-39-s-sole-survivor/1
Thanks for the links, Ruflossn. I agree with the talking heads. I think van zandt referred to him as an "avenging angel," though I would proffer this guy is a cause killer with unresolved issues regarding sex for sale and most likely someone who is inclined to engage their services while at the same time blaming them for his unspoken desires. Hence, his comment, "'That is what is wrong with you black women. You think you are all that.'"

Thanks for the links, Ruflossn. I agree with the talking heads. I think van zandt referred to him as an "avenging angel," though I would proffer this guy is a cause killer with unresolved issues regarding sex for sale and most likely someone who is inclined to engage their services while at the same time blaming them for his unspoken desires. Hence, his comment, "'That is what is wrong with you black women. You think you are all that.'"

I agree w/ your theories. I also think the napkin w/ the word "AIDS" written on it is telling. Remember, in the 80's "AIDS/HIV was just becoming a well known STD. People were learning more about the virus and people were becoming fearful of the virus. I think his issues w/ sex for sale and AIDS are telling.

I immediately thought of BTK when I first studied this case.
I also wonder if there was anyway this perp. could have been in the military.
In the military, DNA samples are taken from all 'soldiers', however, the DNA is not tested nor entered into a data base until a reason is indicated. (At least when I took a continuing education class in Oct. 2008 that is what was taught to us).

The things that I have a hard time grasping are:
-the van that was identified by a witness. The vans engine was still warm when LE arrived. How many people had access to keys for that van? There is a HUGE clue attached to the van. Did LE search for prints? DNA? Did they find anything?

-the only surviving victim reports the killer took her picture. At that time, there were no digital cameras, no computers that would print your pics etc.... I wonder if he used a Polaroid camera or did he have the pics developed? Could he have worked in a photo lab and developed the pics himself?

-the orange Pinto. Don't all cars that are tagged / registered have a description? Could records of all orange Pintos not have been reviewed?

These are just a few of the questions I have about this case. I have followed this for a long time. It is a perplexing saga.
Funny that you mention a possible military connection because I was thinking the same thing. My gut tells me that this guy was military and had experience using weapons especially guns and rifles. Could have been Army or Marines. I think the reason why there was such a gap from 1988 to 2002 because he was in jail although I could be wrong. I'm thinking that this guy still is in the Los Angeles area or close by. He knows the area and I still believe he's around LA or Inglewood.

This is a great 'find'. Great Job!!
Have you notified the authorities that are working on this case?

Ruflossn
I just contacted the LAPD and gave them the PDF plus a link to the file. The article is on page 4. Sorry I did not post that in the earlier message. The newspaper article is from Montreal, Canada and mentions a male in his 30s who drove an orange Pinto circa 1975, attacked prostitutes, curly brown hair, small and thin, speaks English with an accent. Now, it could be coincidental, but there's more. The article also mentions that vehicle description records were kept from that time. If it matches up with the orange Pinto, we might have our guy.

I have not heard anything back from LAPD or AMW yet regarding the information I provided them the other day. For those of you who are interested in this case, I provided a link to a PDF file on the previous page. Last weekend I was searching on Google for information pertaining to this case when I came across an archived newspaper article from March 1991. The article was from a Canadian newspaper in Montreal, Quebec. Article mentions a private outreach organization known as "Dans La Rue" which helps street youths in Montreal. Among the youths they help out are prostitutes and the article talks about a "bad trick list." A bad trick list is simply a list of bad clients or customers i.e. "johns" who go to see prostitutes. One of the descriptions of the reported johns is this: "Orange Pinto (1975?), curly brown hair, small and thin, early 30s, wire-rim glasses, speaks English w/ accent, carries a loaded big gun, raped girls for 1 hour and robbed another girl." Also, this organization, Dans La Rue, reportedly kept records of the physical descriptions of the men AND car license plate numbers. Can someone help me and let me know how LAPD or someone working on this case could get access to these records? Does anyone know if Dans La Rue will still have these records on file from as far back as 1991? From what we know, GS took a break from killing after 1988 and didn't resurface until 2002. Is it possible that he left the Los Angeles area and went to other states and even countries like Canada? Also, the lone survivor of GS described him looking "geeky." Wire-rim glasses are considered to make one geeky in some circles. I really think LAPD and the authorities should check out this group in Montreal called Dans La Rue.

There is a new article up on the grimsleeper website. There is a slip of paper with numbers and a name on it in old files. What does it mean?

89-1321882 Jose Sola

//find.thegrimsleeper.com/2009/03/31/492/

There is a new article up on the grimsleeper website. There is a slip of paper with numbers and a name on it in old files. What does it mean?

89-1321882 Jose Sola

That is very strange.

The number on that slip of paper looks like either a police report number or a court docket number.

I have not heard anything back from LAPD or AMW yet regarding the information I provided them the other day. For those of you who are interested in this case, I provided a link to a PDF file on the previous page. Last weekend I was searching on Google for information pertaining to this case when I came across an archived newspaper article from March 1991. The article was from a Canadian newspaper in Montreal, Quebec. Article mentions a private outreach organization known as "Dans La Rue" which helps street youths in Montreal. Among the youths they help out are prostitutes and the article talks about a "bad trick list." A bad trick list is simply a list of bad clients or customers i.e. "johns" who go to see prostitutes. One of the descriptions of the reported johns is this: "Orange Pinto (1975?), curly brown hair, small and thin, early 30s, wire-rim glasses, speaks English w/ accent, carries a loaded big gun, raped girls for 1 hour and robbed another girl." Also, this organization, Dans La Rue, reportedly kept records of the physical descriptions of the men AND car license plate numbers. Can someone help me and let me know how LAPD or someone working on this case could get access to these records? Does anyone know if Dans La Rue will still have these records on file from as far back as 1991? From what we know, GS took a break from killing after 1988 and didn't resurface until 2002. Is it possible that he left the Los Angeles area and went to other states and even countries like Canada? Also, the lone survivor of GS described him looking "geeky." Wire-rim glasses are considered to make one geeky in some circles. I really think LAPD and the authorities should check out this group in Montreal called Dans La Rue.

It may take a while to hear back. As old as the case is, it won't be a priority even if they are still working it. After about a month or month and a half, try resending it. You might also make it to the attention of whatever detective is mentioned in the article.

Have you considered looking up the Canadian LE and sending a link to the LA case to them?

Another option is to make contact with the media who is currently writing about the case and let them know.

89-1321882 Jose Sola

I did a quick Google on * "Jose Sola" attorney * and only came up with a real estate connection. Someone good with people searches might try to run one on him and see if they find an attorney.

The number on that slip of paper looks like either a police report number or a court docket number.

I hate to quote myself, but here goes anyway:

I just remembered that this perp disappeared for 13 years, and came back into the picture when he reoffended in 2002.

If you look at this number on the slip of paper that was attached to the Barbara Ware case, and if this number is related to either a police report number or a court docket number, the first two digits, 89, would indicate the year (1989).

Subtract 1989 from 2002 and you have 13 years.

ETA: I called this info into the LAPD. They are going to check it out. The detective I spoke to said that it looks like a police report number to him, as well. He said that he is going to pass the information on to the lead detective and will follow up with me at a later date. I will keep you all posted if I hear anything from them.

This is a fascinating case. I'm originally from the LA area and I've never heard of it. It's incredible how many of these types of cases, serial killer of prostitutes, goes on and on and on and many people just never know. There's several of these same scenarios of unsolved cases across the nation. Too sad..............NOBODY deserves to die like this.

Thanks for contacting the PD cleo612. That was my thought as well, that it was a 'case #.' I saw it was connected to one particular case and I went to see when it was and got side-tracked reading other websites, etc about this case. By the time I got back, you'd already handled it. Good job!

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-03-12/news/grim-sleeper-39-s-sole-survivor/1
Grim Sleeper's Sole Survivor

http://lapdblog.typepad.com/lapd_bl...ble-for-12-victims-between-1985-and-2007.html
Serial Murder Case Update Grim Sleeper Responsible for 12 Victims between 1985 and 2007

The first link I put up there, the 'sole survivor' has lots of good information. IMHO, IF I were investigating this case, I'd look very carefully at everything she said. Because she's alive to tell her story, I believe she has a couple of IMPORTANT clues.

1. He referred to her by a 'local prostitutes name.' They really, really need to check out that person, the local prostitutes, friends, family, associates,........IF they can find them after all these years.

"But now, she says, he was entirely different. He drove off, started to say something, turned a corner — then went quiet. “He asked me, ‘Why did you dog me out?’” she recalls. She had no idea what he was talking about. He called her by the name of a well-known local prostitute who walked the streets around Normandie Avenue and looked like Margette, except the streetwalker wore an auburn wig while Margette’s black hair was cropped short like a boy’s.

Margette remembers thinking that his weird use of the streetwalker’s nickname was an odd coincidence, because a few days earlier somebody else mistook her for the auburn-wigged woman. But Margette, a tough young woman who’d been involved in a few scraps, wasn’t scared. She was much bigger-boned than her thin, spindly-looking companion, and she was irritated by his hostile tone — something she heard often from the malingering drug dealers and gangsters in her area.

“Who do you think you are talking to?” she responded, showing him some attitude. He suddenly pulled a small handgun out of a pocket on the driver’s side of the Pinto, and shot her in the chest as he drove along the residential streets."

2. He also took her too a residence and she waited outside in the car. That's actually what led up to the actual shooting. They need to find out who lived there then and their friends, family, and associates. Maybe the guy used to live there? or his family? He said it was his uncles?

He merely needed to make a quick stop at his uncle’s house to pick up some money, or so he said.

They wound through residential roads in his sporty car, ending up on a street whose name she did not take note of. The polite stranger parked outside a mustard-colored house partly obscured by hedges, got out, walked up to the house, briefly talked to someone inside, and returned about 10 minutes later.

3. His car was very distinct. SOMEONE MUST have known him when he had this car. SOMEONE MAY HAVE done WORK on this car. They need to air this part of the story on AMW. Of course, they may have already and I just didn't see it.

She was passing D & S Market in South L.A. when she noticed an orange Ford Pinto with a white racing stripe on the hood. She remembers the parked car because “it looked like a Hot Wheels car,” she says, pointing to the run-down market on West 91st Street and Normandie Avenue where the car sat that day.

From inside, the driver, a black man in his early 30s, asked her if she wanted a ride. He looked neat. Tidy. Kind of geeky. He wore a black polo shirt tucked into khaki trousers. She declined the offer. He kept asking her. She refused again, thinking, “I like chocolate milk, but he wasn’t my type.”

“He told me, ‘That is what is wrong with you black women. You think you are all that,” she says. The two traded friendly barbs back and forth. But his comment, which she took as a playful diss, prompted her to change her mind. Just 30, she enjoyed hitchhiking in those days, and accepted his offer of a ride for a few blocks to her friend’s house. Despite the drug violence raging in neighborhoods around her, it wasn’t neat-looking strangers who had her concerned. “It wasn’t a worry,” she recalls.

Once inside, Margette was impressed by the car’s interior. The gear-shift handle was memorable, pimped out with a ping-pong-sized marble ball. The inside was all-white, with white diamond-patterned upholstery. She liked what she saw, and when he invited himself to the party, she said he was welcome to come.

Just some interesting points,
JMHO
fran

PS...elliottness I'm glad you contacted someone about the other cases in Canada. Interesting as well.............fran

89-1321882 Jose Sola

I think I might have found out what this number is. Go to this site: http://www.laweekly.com/2008-08-28/news/grim-sleeper/ and you will see a photo of one of the deceased victims, Mary Lowe, with another 9-digit number next to her picture. Could it be that Jose Sola was another victim? Or was Sola one of the investigators at the time working this case?

Hello All~
WOW! I have been out of town and have not been able to keep up w/ all the developments in this case. There is some outstanding sleuthing going on!

There is one thing in this case that has always bothered me: The murderer wrote 'AIDS' on a napkin / piece of paper. Why? What is the ramifications of writing AIDS.
-Did our perp have AIDS?
-Did someone he love become infected w/ the virus?

When the murders 1st started, AIDS was becoming more well known. How had the virus effected him?
-I wonder if there were any free clinics in the area that might have offered services for those infected?
-If so, did the clinics take pics of the patients?
-Anyway to access those records?
With HIPPA regulations it may be hard to recover the health info.

I always wondered if the perp disappeared for 13 yrs because of a military career. In Canada, do we (USA) have any bases located where the Canadian victim was found? Any near the US - Canandian border?

THis case bothers me for 2 reasons, one the relation of the victims to religious centers, almost every vic has been found within a few hundred yards of a religious center or church.
Two, the amount of time between attacks seems to indicate that the killer was incapacitated, probably imprisoned for some time, YET, they have DNA and no hits and no attempt on the killer's part to keep the DNA from being discovered. Those are the actions of a killer that is not concerned about his DNA being linked back to him, because he knows it isn't in the system anywhere.
I have my doubts about there being one killer involved in this, and I think that every single detail, contact and connection in the life of the single male victim needs to be dissected very carefully. He was either a witness or he knew the killer and was becoming a risk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back