Found Deceased MD - Laura Wallen, 31, pregnant, Olney, 3 Sept 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is a public bus or transportation system? If so are there stops near the apartments where her car was found?
Of course, these days if you want to ditch a vehicle you only need a smart phone and uber....

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Yes, I grew up in the area. Gramercy Place, where her vehicle was found is in the heart of Columbia Town Center. Her vehicle was found not far from Columbia Mall. There's plenty of public transit in Columbia Town Center, especially by the mall.

Yes, I grew up in the area. Gramercy Place, where her vehicle was found is in the heart of Columbia Town Center. Her vehicle was found not far from Columbia Mall. There's plenty of public transit in Columbia Town Center, especially by the mall.
But not at night or on the weekends though.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I think LE must be pretty sure who the father is, since they stated it publicly. I guess there's a chance they are wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It would still be his baby in that scenario. Really though, we only know Cowboy is the dad because that is what he told LE. Nobody really knows without a DNA sample...

I gave birth 21 and 18 years ago and had Sonos at first visit to confirm sac was where it was supposed to be. Then another at about 8 weeks and again at 16 weeks. I guess things are different now? My Dr had a machine in the exam room. Maybe insurance doesn't allow anymore? I dunno.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Many clinics won't even see a patient until 8-10 weeks. My neighbor is 17 weeks and had her first appointment at 9 weeks and she is a doctor at the hospital her clinic is at. My doctor waits until 10 weeks unless there is a reason to see sooner. I was in at 4 weeks with my daughter, the day after I tested +, and there wasn't even a heartbeat yet, but I had a baby boy with a severe congenital heart defect who passed away at 24 weeks during my first pregnancy so I was followed very very closely my second time around.

I agree with your statements.

It just may make it difficult for the public to sympathize with Laura or her family if they are being 'shut out' from knowing what led to her disappearance.

Unfortunately, people may judge them for holding back this info instead of focusing their efforts on helping to find Laura, which is why we are all here.
JMO

True. It's hard to guess which way is the best way. Especially since it sounds like she may be voluntarily missing, is in some kind of trouble, may or may not have emotional/mental problems that they just want her found and not have to give away any details of her life that she might not appreciate later, when she is found.

This seems to be common for families not wanting personal info out there other than the basic facts. They do no want to have judgments being made of the mp or the family. What they fail to realize is that details could hold info that could possibly help to find them.
I definitely would like to know more about the concerning texts.

It certainly makes it harder for us here, to get any indication of where she might be, what her concerns were, what her emotional state was before she disappeared.

As a teacher, I keep my social media locked down and, in fact, I have a second FB account for family and friends because my students and their parents were tracking me down and wanting to 'friend' me. I have found it much wiser to keep a very generic public profile with my real name attached that I share with co-workers and the 'public'. This is not my 'real' FB account in which I share the details of what I am doing -- including family and personal info -- which I don't even share with other teachers at school.

If I were to suddenly go missing, I suspect that people (even colleagues) might comment that I don't seem to be very close to my family (they are not my FB friends on the account that they can search under my name) or that I don't talk about any relationship or significant other in my life (so, according to what most people here seem to believe -- I must not have anyone important in my life). It's just a wise practice as a teacher -- especially as a high school teacher where students are quite savvy with social media -- and especially in 2017. In fact, in a faculty meeting yesterday, we were once again advised to lock things down extremely tightly and to post little to no personal info -- just because the community seems to think that because they pay our salaries, they have a right to know every single detail about our lives. The attorney who gave this advice shared several stories, one of which was a story about how a teacher (in another district) who was in her 30s had lost her job in another district because parents complained about photos of her drinking wine with friends on her social media account. (Not getting drunk, mind you, but just vacation and weekends with the girls type photos.) We live in a very conservative community and everything from our political views to the pages we 'like' may be scrutinized.

Just something to consider.

But not at night or on the weekends though.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Just checked the schedule. First off her vehicle was located on a Thursday. Most sources say she was last heard from on Monday, and didnt make it to work on Tuesday. I see at least 4 routes from the mall that run up until 11:30 pm so I can't agree regarding nights or weekends. The big question is when did she actually go missing? She was seen Saturday night per one account, and from another source, someone saw her at approximately 8:30 am on Monday, labor day, at her apt. If those sightings are factual, then we have a Monday/Tuesday scenario where she vanished. Unless neighbors who saw her are lying and she didnt actually send the disturbing text message Monday morning at approximately 9:30 am. If we go with reports from MSM, it certainly seems like she vanished on labor day, Monday!

As a teacher, I keep my social media locked down and, in fact, I have a second FB account for family and friends because my students and their parents were tracking me down and wanting to 'friend' me. I have found it much wiser to keep a very generic public profile with my real name attached that I share with co-workers and the 'public'. This is not my 'real' FB account in which I share the details of what I am doing -- including family and personal info -- which I don't even share with other teachers at school.

If I were to suddenly go missing, I suspect that people(even colleagues) might comment that I don't seem to be very close to my family -- because they are not my FB friends on the account that they see, that I don't talk about any relationship or significant other in my life (so, according to what most people here seem to believe -- I must not have anyone important in my life). It's just a wise practice as a teacher -- especially as a high school teacher where students are quite savvy with social media -- and especially in 2017. In fact, in a faculty meeting yesterday, we were once again advised to lock things down extremely tightly and to post little to no personal info -- just because the community seems to think that because they pay our salaries, they have a right to know every single detail about our lives. The attorney who gave this advice shared a story about how a teacher in her 30s had lost her job in another district because parents complained about photos of her drinking wine with friends on her social media account. (Not getting drunk, mind you, but just vacation and weekends with the girls type photos.)

Just something to consider.

Glad you brought this up. I was going to bring it up a few times, but kept getting sidetracked, trying to read everything before I posted so I wouldn't repeat what others have said.

I'm not a teacher but I have thought if I was, I wouldn't be posting half the stuff I do. So if I were to have a page where students and parents could follow me around, it would be a second page. One that is General and not specific to my home and family life. Good call.

If my daughter were a teacher, an excellent, well-respected one, and who also suffered from a mental illness (like bi-polar) which is well controlled with meds for many years, but she stopped taking her meds due to a pregnancy...I wouldn't want to share that info publicly because I'd fear that her teaching career might be derailed. Mental illness has a terrible stigma attached.

That scenario might not make logical sense in light of the fact that she's missing, and if found unharmed her teaching career could be derailed anyway, but as a parent I can see that as possible.

Just my thoughts.

Also, it was mentioned upthread that police might have made several trips to her home before she was formally 'missing'. If an adult isn't reachable, but no real 'evidence' that there's an issue, LE might agree to a 'welfare check'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the possibility of a mental illness derailing a teaching career, mentioning it could also impede the search for her. People might be less willing to help search if they think it's a "she's off her meds & needs a break" situation versus something more sinister.

JMO.

https://www.scienceandsensibility.o...er-loneliness-pregnancy-and-suicidal-ideation

I don't have any knowledge of this woman. But my job is in mental health so I feel inclined to mention that one of the leading causes of death in pregnant women is not just homicide but suicide. Despite the presumed protective factor of pregnancy, there is actually a risk of suicidality in pregnancy. Article above discusses correlates.

Again, I'm not saying that I think this woman is/was suicidal, however, I think it's an important factor to (accurately) consider, especially given the way that police are handling the information and the way that her friends and family are speaking.

I am well acquainted with mental health and dog lovers. A suicidal person who has the energy to leave her home with intent of harming herself is not likely to leave her dog behind. She would probably board the dog with her vet. I guess the exception would be if she texted her family and asked them to look after and take care of her dog. This is my opinion.

I think it was some kind of mental break. Her family isn't being forthcoming with details, for when she returns (she will need her job back) and doesn't want everyone to know she is having some kind of breakdown. I can respect that, however, not telling information leaves peoples confused and many theories being made. But at the same time, there is something going on with the BF. Is he married or something? Sounds like Laura might have been an on the side friend for 10 years and maybe she got pregnant on purpose and he didn't like it? Something is off with him.

So after catching up on this for the past couple of days - Thanks BloodHoundSleuther for sending me in the right direction! ;) - I did a quick map. Click on the points, it has the info and just a quicker insight for anyone that's not local to see where Laura may have travelled to and from. Anything that needs adding, changing, taking out, let me know.

Case Map

Well I suppose once the family gets desperate enough they will realize it's a mistake to be so closed off with information, then people will truly be able to help

J.M.O.

I am well acquainted with mental health and dog lovers. A suicidal person who has the energy to leave her home with intent of harming herself is not likely to leave her dog behind. She would probably board the dog with her vet. I guess the exception would be if she texted her family and asked them to look after and take care of her dog. This is my opinion.

BBM excellent point. Hence, possibly that was the troubling text that set things in motion.

At the presser the father made a point of saying when he called the school and was told she hadn't arrived yet, he asked if she had arranged for a substitute.

So after catching up on this for the past couple of days - Thanks BloodHoundSleuther for sending me in the right direction! ;) - I did a quick map. Click on the points, it has the info and just a quicker insight for anyone that's not local to see where Laura may have travelled to and from. Anything that needs adding, changing, taking out, let me know.
Case Map

Thank you so much for doing this, Ana. So it appears everything is pretty close together, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is nearby, either ....

I am really stumped by this case, very much on the fence as to whether it is voluntarily or foul play. Timeline has been one of the things I am still confused about, but I found this:

"Here is a timeline of events put together based on information from police, family, and neighbors:

-Friday, September 1st: Wallen and her family attend a football game at Sherwood High School, where Wallen went to school as a teen.

-Saturday, September 2nd: A neighbor says Wallen and Tessier arrive at Wallen's Olney condo sometime before 10 p.m. According to the neighbor, Tessier leaves and then Wallen leaves about ten minutes later. The neighbor says Wallen's black 2011 Ford Escape never returns to the neighborhood in the following days.

-Monday, September 4th: Police say Wallen's family receives a troubling text from her cell phone. They won't describe what the text said.

-Tuesday, September 5th: Wallen fails to show up to teach on the first day of school at Wilde Lake High.

-Thursday, September 7th: Wallen's Ford Escape is found in the 10600 block of Gramercy Place, which is inside a gated apartment complex in Columbia that is essentially across the street from Wilde Lake High School."

Also, a couple of interesting comments from the press conference:

"At Monday's press conference, Lt. Sean Gagen with MCPD said right now Wallen's disappearance is classified as a missing persons case and not as a crime.

'Not at this time that I'm aware of,' was Gagen's reply when asked if there was any reason to believe foul play was involved in her disappearance."

"When asked when the last time Wallen was seen was, Lt. Gagen wouldn't say.

He says there are a lot of people that claim to have seen her, and detectives are looking at surveillance video to try to verify those claims." (BBM)
http://wjla.com/news/local/family-offers-250000

One thing I find particularly unusual about this case is that there have been no reports of searches taking place, other than her students posting flyers. Could it be because LE believes Laura left voluntarily and is hiding, moving from one place to another? Or, they have been talking to a suspect and are waiting for the person to crack?

Either way, I hope Laura is found soon, safe and sound. She sounds like a wonderful, caring young woman.

Thank you so much for doing this, Ana. So it appears everything is pretty close together, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is nearby, either ....

I am really stumped by this case, very much on the fence as to whether it is voluntarily or foul play. Timeline has been one of the things I am still confused about, but I found this:

"Here is a timeline of events put together based on information from police, family, and neighbors:

-Friday, September 1st: Wallen and her family attend a football game at Sherwood High School, where Wallen went to school as a teen.

-Saturday, September 2nd: A neighbor says Wallen and Tessier arrive at Wallen's Olney condo sometime before 10 p.m. According to the neighbor, Tessier leaves and then Wallen leaves about ten minutes later. The neighbor says Wallen's black 2011 Ford Escape never returns to the neighborhood in the following days.

-Monday, September 4th: Police say Wallen's family receives a troubling text from her cell phone. They won't describe what the text said.

-Tuesday, September 5th: Wallen fails to show up to teach on the first day of school at Wilde Lake High.
Thursday, September 7th: Wallen's Ford Escape is found in the 10600 block of Gramercy Place, which is inside a gated apartment complex in Columbia that is essentially across the street from Wilde Lake High School."

"At Monday's press conference, Lt. Sean Gagen with MCPD said right now Wallen's disappearance is classified as a missing persons case and not as a crime.

'Not at this time that I'm aware of,' was Gagen's reply when asked if there was any reason to believe foul play was involved in her disappearance."

He says there are a lot of people that claim to have seen her, and detectives are looking at surveillance video to try to verify those claims." (BBM)

One thing I find particularly unusual about this case is that there have been no reports of searches taking place, other than her students posting flyers. Could it be because LE believes Laura left voluntarily and is hiding, moving from one place to another? Or, they have been talking to a suspect and are waiting for the person to crack?

Either way, I hope Laura is found soon, safe and sound. She sounds like a wonderful, caring young woman.

You're welcome. Hoping more will get released so I can add to it.

They are saying it's not a crime and foul play is not suspected but they searched a dumpster. I can only imagine that they were looking for her body in there. Things aren't adding up at all. They are holding back a lot of information here.

Case Map

Silver Spring is a big city. What you pointed in your map is downtown Silver Spring. I own a condo very close to 29 and 200 and it is still considered SS.

Hmmm...Based on this timeline and the questions/remarks people have made about Tessier, I find it odd that she left shortly after he did. They were together for 10 years and expecting a child, yet they didn't live together. Maybe Laura suspected something and followed him? Maybe she didn't like what she found? Maybe that's what the troubling texts are about. I'm just thinking at the end of a day, being pregnant, the last thing I'd want to do is get back in my car and go somewhere unless I had extreme motivation to do so.

Thursday, September 7th: Wallen's Ford Escape is found in the 10600 block of Gramercy Place, which is inside a gated apartment complex in Columbia that is essentially across the street from Wilde Lake High School."

I think it's entirely possible that if LE thinks this is a crime, and that she's been harmed, and they have a suspect they're trying to draw out, they might not state they think it's a crime or that she's been harmed. For fear of spooking the suspect. This could possibly account for why the family seems nervous, checking their words, etc at the pressie, because they have this insider knowledge, were told to be careful what they say, etc.

It also could possibly account for why the text wasn't released, it may contain something specific they fear would let a suspect know they're on to them.

Possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member