Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. But if that was the case, wouldn't you think her attorneys would be more than happy to get that information out to the public, rather than let them speculate (which many have) that the involvement of CPS was in relation to something much more nefarious.

I posted the same query on Facebook and was told that CPS is only involved with foster care and not international adoptions. I am not too sure how true this is.

Yes, I'm getting a creepy feeling about what happened in the garage as time goes on. I don't like to think about such horrid things, but I think he doesn't just bring her in there to drink milk. He obviously didn't want Sini or his other daughter to hear anything. I think he had more evil on his mind and maybe she did die choking -- but not in the scenario he gave. I'm starting to think the whole milk thing was a lie -- or at least part of it.

If he did do other things to Sherin, including things in the past, would she have bruises that the mother could have seen whilst she changed Sherin's clothes or bathed her?

I posted the same query on Facebook and was told that CPS is only involved with foster care and not international adoptions. I am not too sure how true this is.

(quote)
Job description

Child, Family and School Social Workers provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families and to maximize the family well-being and the academic functioning of children. May assist parents, arrange adoptions, and find foster homes for abandoned or abused children. In schools, they address such problems as teenage pregnancy, misbehavior, and truancy. May also advise teachers.

Just told Eli that remarks concerning his punishment were clearly in my favor ! Raising kids , like nailing jello to a wall ! Sheesh !

(quote)
Job description

Child, Family and School Social Workers provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families and to maximize the family well-being and the academic functioning of children. May assist parents, arrange adoptions, and find foster homes for abandoned or abused children. In schools, they address such problems as teenage pregnancy, misbehavior, and truancy. May also advise teachers.
This is a broad category. Social workers have bachelor's and/or master's degrees in social work and can serve in a variety of roles. CPS workers are not all social workers as they can have a variety of human services degrees. Foster Care and adoption workers generally assist with identifying foster and adoptive homes for children in the foster care system. CPS workers investigate allegations of abuse and neglect.

Social workers can be employed by private agencies and have roles in international or domestic adoption. I'd assume if there is ongoing check-ins, one of these individuals would be responsible- not CPS.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This is the procedure required for an OS adoption from India to the U.S.
(quote)
Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements

CARA requires adoptive parents to submit online post-placement reports on the child through their adoption service provider to CARA and the SAA. The post-placement reports should be uploaded into CARINGS quarterly by the prospective adoptive parents’ ASP during the first year, and twice a year during the second year after the child’s arrival in the United States. The reporting continues for two years after the child acquires U.S. citizenship.

In addition to the above reports, some Indian courts require regular follow-up visits and post-adoption counseling by a licensed social worker until the child has adjusted to his/her new environment. The follow-up visits are generally for a period of one year or as directed by the court. Copies of the court ordered follow-up reports should be sent to the court where the adoption or guardianship order was obtained, as well as to other government offices as required.
https://travel.state.gov/content/ad...-information/learn-about-a-country/india.html

This is the procedure required for an OS adoption from India to the U.S.
(quote)
Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements

CARA requires adoptive parents to submit online post-placement reports on the child through their adoption service provider to CARA and the SAA. The post-placement reports should be uploaded into CARINGS quarterly by the prospective adoptive parents’ ASP during the first year, and twice a year during the second year after the child’s arrival in the United States. The reporting continues for two years after the child acquires U.S. citizenship.

In addition to the above reports, some Indian courts require regular follow-up visits and post-adoption counseling by a licensed social worker until the child has adjusted to his/her new environment. The follow-up visits are generally for a period of one year or as directed by the court. Copies of the court ordered follow-up reports should be sent to the court where the adoption or guardianship order was obtained, as well as to other government offices as required.
https://travel.state.gov/content/ad...-information/learn-about-a-country/india.html
Yes, this would be a social worker employed through the adoption agency. CPS workers are entirely different. Often people use social workers and CPS workers interchangeably, which is technically inaccurate. CPS workers can be social workers (or counselors, psychologists, criminal justice majors, family life studies majors, etc etc) but their sole role is investigating allegations of abuse and neglect, not oversight of adoptions.

Yes, this would be a social worker employed through the adoption agency. CPS workers are entirely different. Often people use social workers and CPS workers interchangeably, which is technically inaccurate. CPS workers can be social workers (or counselors, psychologists, criminal justice majors, family life studies majors, etc etc) but their sole role is investigating allegations of abuse and neglect, not oversight of adoptions.

I suppose we would have to know exactly who the social worker was and where from in this case to make an accurate statement about it all.
If there was any previous child abuse in the Mathews case toward the children that was reported to CPS then i think somehow the media would be on it, and it would also factor in and come up in SM's court hearings to regain custody of her biological child.

I suppose we would have to know exactly who the social worker was and where from in this case to make an accurate statement about it all.
If there was any previous child abuse in the Mathews case toward the children that was reported to CPS then i think somehow the media would be on it, and it would also factor in and come up in SM's court hearings to regain custody of her biological child.
I am confident that any CPS history is being factored in to the current custody case. Prior reports, if they exist (CPS did acknowledge a history with the family) likely were unsubstantiated if the children were never removed. The information remains on file, though, and can be used in subsequent cases (i.e. the current removal and court proceedings).

This information is protected and doesn't generally get out until the trial for termination of rights. Even then, I've only seen full details in the media in a couple of very high profile local cases (example: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/06/autopsies_of_detroit_children_2.html). The court can also seal records, which is more the norm.

I am confident that any CPS history is being factored in to the current custody case. Prior reports, if they exist (CPS did acknowledge a history with the family) likely were unsubstantiated if the children were never removed. The information remains on file, though, and can be used in subsequent cases (i.e. the current removal and court proceedings).

This information is protected and doesn't generally get out until the trial for termination of rights. Even then, I've only seen full details in the media in a couple of very high profile local cases (example: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/06/autopsies_of_detroit_children_2.html). The court can also seal records, which is more the norm.

Yes i would think any prior allegations of abuse will be factored in to the next scheduled custody hearing.
The judge did order an extension of the hearing until November 13th, and from what i have read SM has been allowed visits with her biological daughter once a week and has done so.

Adoption agencies can have contracts with local DSS/CPS/DFACS to do home studies or follow up monitoring but it is rare to contract the follow up because it is so time consuming. Most agencies employ their own social workers for following both the child and the parents through the process but home studies are done by adoption workers not child welfare workers and they are prescheduled and quick to perform. Imho they may have been involved for the home study but I personally doubt they did the follow up monitoring.

I am am sure there may be more requirements for International adoption but for domestic the parents complete a mountain of paper work including but not limited to: references, medical clearance, TB test results. either a fingerprint card or background check (depending on whether the agency wants to do the background check themselves), a fire inspection of the home and more. When the workers comes out you must have re-chargeable fire extinguishers with current inspections mounted and evacuation plans posted. They do a walk through with a check list to verify required sq footage per child and appropriate sleeping quarters and safety precautions such as outlet caps and locked medication container all the while making what they want you to think is idle conversation that in truth is a carefully constructed interview. The ho e visit should take about an hour. My last one was a little longer because I served lunch first, including home made lasagna and fresh baked bread. (I believe in using your talents to your best advantage LOL )

Adoption agencies can have contracts with local DSS/CPS/DFACS to do home studies or follow up monitoring but it is rare to contract the follow up because it is so time consuming. Most agencies employ their own social workers for following both the child and the parents through the process but home studies are done by adoption workers not child welfare workers and they are prescheduled and quick to perform. Imho they may have been involved for the home study but I personally doubt they did the follow up monitoring.

I am am sure there may be more requirements for International adoption but for domestic the parents complete a mountain of paper work including but not limited to: references, medical clearance, TB test results. either a fingerprint card or background check (depending on whether the agency wants to do the background check themselves), a fire inspection of the home and more. When the workers comes out you must have re-chargeable fire extinguishers with current inspections mounted and evacuation plans posted. They do a walk through with a check list to verify required sq footage per child and appropriate sleeping quarters and safety precautions such as outlet caps and locked medication container all the while making what they want you to think is idle conversation that in truth is a carefully constructed interview. The ho e visit should take about an hour. My last one was a little longer because I served lunch first, including home made lasagna and fresh baked bread. (I believe in using your talents to your best advantage LOL )

Thankyou for posting up your information on the subject, and also for the big heart you have for all you do.

Mom's job may have put her in contact with many involved in the medical community- involved in childcare. Maybe the CPS contact was an unofficial capacity?
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grouchymom & Momma2cam, I forget what exactly your roles in your current and previous jobs/volunteering were so I apologize but you should consider becoming verified... (and not as a Grouchymom ;) ) I'm learning a lot here.

Didn't they change that initial charge of child endangerment to felony injury to a child though?

Here's what I have:

*Arrest - TX - Sherin Mathews (3) (Oct. 7, 2017) - Wesley Mon Mathews (37) - charged with abandoning or child endangerment & additional charge of injury to a child, 1st degree felony. Arrested 10/8, released Sunday night on $250K bond; must wear ankle monitor & has been ordered to surrender passport; surrendered passport 10/21; re-arrested 10/23 and charged with injury to a child, 1st degree felony punishable by life or from 5 to 99 yrs in prison/$1M & currently in jail/voluntarily arrived at police station w/his attorney & provided an alternate statement of events from those which he had given previously.

Kind of skimmed over some posts - did I miss the date of a court hearing?

TIA! :wave:

Here's what I have:

*Arrest - TX - Sherin Mathews (3) (Oct. 7, 2017) - Wesley Mon Mathews (37) - charged with abandoning or child endangerment & additional charge of injury to a child, 1st degree felony. Arrested 10/8, released Sunday night on $250K bond; must wear ankle monitor & has been ordered to surrender passport; surrendered passport 10/21; re-arrested 10/23 and charged with injury to a child, 1st degree felony punishable by life or from 5 to 99 yrs in prison/$1M & currently in jail/voluntarily arrived at police station w/his attorney & provided an alternate statement of events from those which he had given previously.

IANL but I think the charges were upgraded to cause of injury to a child. They said it could possibly be upgraded to 1st degree murder. Additional charges could include lying to LE, obstruction of justice and illegal disposing of a corpse and such.

Here is the complete arraignment package for the “injury to a child” charge

Even though he hasn’t bonded out I find the bond requirements interesting. If he is able to make bond he is not to have contact with any minor child. Hmmmm

Attachments

• 10-25-2017_-_Arraignment_Packet_-_F1745865.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 22
This case touches my heart deeply, as I know it does for everyone else.

I am thankful that her little body was found for proper burial.

I don't think I will ever get over the shock of many of these cases. They are so unfathomable and heart-wrenching.

That is not correct. Every child comes under the purview of CPS in the US and other similar departments in other countries, nothing specific to Foster Care or Adoption.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Protective_Services

And in the case of WM, prior CPS contact with the family is confirmed but no details of the contact in public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa