Australia Australia - Two Female Backpackers attacked at Salt Creek, SA, 9 Feb 2016

Arrgh

I actually know this guy

or to be more specific, I know his brother quite well, he comes from my part of town so I know people who know him well also.

<modsnip>

Im thinking Rihanna Barreau, Heather Turner and Daniel Shephard.

All local youngsters who either vanished or turned up murdered.

<modsnip>

I'm thinking further afield than Morphett Vale. I'm thinking lone wolf type - ala Murdoch and Milat.
May have killed whenever the opportunity arose...I wonder if he ever drove taxis in WA?

I might be missing something here, but can anyone enlighten me as to what I should be seeing or looking for in the photos of the bedroom and why they've been released? Or is it perhaps to jog the memory of other past victims?
My thought on seeing this was that perhaps the man had been engaged in online activities from his bedroom with a webcam (ie related to "online dating" whether of a sexual nature or not etc) and perhaps persons he communicated with in this forum would recognise his bedroom surrounds even if he did not show his face. I recall reading the police did confiscate his pc in the raid (and had previously done so prior to the Salt Creek attack when he was on their radar for something else).

I'm thinking further afield than Morphett Vale. I'm thinking lone wolf type - ala Murdoch and Milat.
May have killed whenever the opportunity arose...I wonder if he ever drove taxis in WA?
I'm thinking both. He is pretty old. It is unusual that his first crime at his age would be to allegedly kidnap, rape and murder two girls who are strangers to him and strangers to eachother. It is so brazen. Plus the fact he moved around the country and overseas so much over the years. When is this guy back in Court. I read it was June in the media but no date was given. Surely they can't keep suppressing his identity and details of the case against him after the next court appearance.

I'm kind of late to the thread, I know, but thanks for all of the information everyone's posted. What a creepy bloody guy!

At 59, it would be hard to believe he doesn't have any priors; at the very least for sexual assault. If so, I wonder if they could have the same MO?

Can anyone think of, particularly female, backpackers/hitchhikers; other than Milat's victims, who have been sexually assaulted, abducted/disappeared and/or found murdered in the years he was in Australia? Or in Germany; for that matter? Particularly from a similar age group, say mid-teens to mid to late 20s?

Feb 1976 Gold coast
January 4th 1974 Darwin
March 4th 1995 Germany
August 19th 2012 Karratha WA

BBM.

’Hitchhiker Murderer’ who was never caught
Greg Stolz
The Courier-Mail
October 29, 2014 2:57pm

Brenda Atkinson 's sister Margaret Rosewarne was murdered in 1976 aged 19.

'MARGARET Rosewarne stuck out her thumb. She was 19 and a sun-bleached blonde beach bunny. It wasn’t long before a ride turned up.

Then came screams. Margaret was never seen alive again.'

'May 5, 1976 was a party night. A farewell for one of Margaret’s mates.

The shindig was down at Burleigh Heads, 15kms or so from Surfers.

It was 9pm but that didn’t worry Margaret. Hitchhiking was second-nature, even after dark.

“I never hitchhiked but I knew Marg did — back then it wasn’t unusual,’’ Ms Atkinson said.

Margaret never made the party.'

'Police at the time believed Margaret could have been the victim of a possible serial killer dubbed ‘The Hitchhiker Murderer’ who may have killed as many as seven young women on Queensland roads in the early to mid 1970s.'

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...t/news-story/1125e21ce121d40b7ed9454d943891ab

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e/news-story/902aa5c25ae851c3f6b9df7f8b02d4ea
This just gets weirder- there appear to be other articles ie with the Herald that have been taken down referring to "new charges" being brought against the accused. Did anyone see these articles before they were taken down.

No, I didn't. I wonder if they are new charges relating to this particular case or other alleged crimes?

There are internet archives that you can use to search for pages that return 'Error 404 Page Not Found' messages if you have the relevant webpages bookmarked. One is at:

https://archive.org/

I think it must be separate charges because the ones listed are what I have seen before. All the articles referring to the additional charges have been removed. This level of suppression is unprecedented and will stand until at least 2 Sept when he is back in court. One article I read stated that the injuries sustained by one of the victims in the back of the car were inflicted by a hammer! She is fortunate to be alive. I find it hard to believe it is a first time like offence of the perpetrator and, as mentioned previously, I hope they look to other unsolved cases involving blunt force trauma and sexual assault.

I think it must be separate charges because the ones listed are what I have seen before. All the articles referring to the additional charges have been removed. This level of suppression is unprecedented and will stand until at least 2 Sept when he is back in court. One article I read stated that the injuries sustained by one of the victims in the back of the car were inflicted by a hammer! She is fortunate to be alive. I find it hard to believe it is a first time like offence of the perpetrator and, as mentioned previously, I hope they look to other unsolved cases involving blunt force trauma and sexual assault.

This often happens and it drives me crazy. One way to avoid it is to take a screenshot and save the webpage using this website:

https://archive.is/

For example:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...e/news-story/902aa5c25ae851c3f6b9df7f8b02d4ea

is now saved as:

https://archive.is/igrvO

The victim's injuries sound horrific. The perpetrator's history and places of residence and employment need to be thoroughly investigated. I will be very surprised if these attacks were an isolated incident; especially as he had two intended victims.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back