GUILTY Wa - Pat Shunn, 45, & Monique Patenaude, 46, Arlington, 11 April 2016 *arrests*

Does anyone know what the big dispute was all about that would make someone kill 2 people ? All i ever read was a property dispute and i did read Patrick saved the guy's life during the Oso slide.

Does anyone know what the big dispute was all about that would make someone kill 2 people ? All i ever read was a property dispute and i did read Patrick saved the guy's life during the Oso slide.

Gosh, dizzy...it's been so long since I read the original articles but it seems that John believed that either Pat or Monique turned him in for squatting on the property that he had sold to the state due to the landslide damage. So instead of collecting the $$ and moving out he continued to live there rent free. I could be wrong so anyone please correct me.

Gosh, dizzy...it's been so long since I read the original articles but it seems that John believed that either Pat or Monique turned him in for squatting on the property that he had sold to the state due to the landslide damage. So instead of collecting the $$ and moving out he continued to live there rent free. I could be wrong so anyone please correct me.

All I ever read was " property dispute" so i was wondering what in the world would drive a person to kill their neighbor, he has to have issues other than his land and he got paid a pretty penny too I read like 240 K maybe up here that isnt much though

Why are they even shooting for the death penalty if it will only cost us more and delay everything? We have a stay of execution at the moment in Washington...Seems rather pointless.

IIRC correctly it was about neighbours using an old logging road, that crossed Pat & Monique's land, as if it were a public road, which it was not. John Reed used it to access his property, so they had to share "their" gate and key with him. In general, he refused to acknowledge their property rights. They thought he was gone when he sold out, but then found out he was still using his old place, and Monique may have reported him to the Sheriff, and he found out she'd done that.

But my impression is he was a powderkeg, hostile kind of person who had probably fantasized for a long time about killing anyone who didn't treat him with deference. I think if you meet someone like that, it's safest to have as little to do with them as possible.

I can't find any current news about the trial date for John Reed or his parents. Anyone?

That's all 14 months? Unreal

I guess the state needs TR's testimony very badly in order to put his brother away for life. And he led them to the bodies, so they struck a sweet bargain. He was pulled into the plot after Monique and Patrick were dead, and I bet there was considerable pressure from the parents to help his brother "fix" it, no matter what. The parents are dispicable! I hope they spend longer in prison than TR does!

John Blaine Reed was to have gone on trial in February, now won’t face trial until May. On Wednesday his attorney asked for more time. There are dozens of witnesses that still likely will need to be interviewed and defense experts still need to complete work on forensic reports, he said in an affidavit filed in Snohomish County Superior Court.

The judge scheduled a Jan. 30 hearing for review.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/trial-of-man-accused-of-murdering-oso-couple-moved-to-may/

Trial over Oso murders begins with a self-defense claim

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/murder-trial-begins-in-deaths-of-oso-couple/

Patrick Shunn and Monique Patenaude had a beautiful house on about 20 acres bordering the North Fork Stillaguamish River. From the outside, it looked perfect, but it was a “fool’s paradise,” said Craig Matheson, the county’s chief criminal deputy prosecutor.

That’s because their neighbor was John Blaine Reed, 55, a man with whom they had a longstanding feud, Matheson said.

“Monique and Patrick had messed with the wrong guy too many times over too many years,” and that ended in death for the husband and wife April 11, 2016, Matheson said.

Defense attorney Phil Sayles said he expects Reed to testify that he was forced to act in self-defense.

This case has always bothered me. I really want to know more about the alleged killers' parents. I think the apples didn't fall far from the tree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back