UT - Salt Lake City Nurse Arrested for Refusing to Draw Blood Sample

The University of Utah Hospital, where a nurse was manhandled and arrested by police as she protected the legal rights of a patient, has imposed new restrictions on law enforcement, including barring officers from patient-care areas and from direct contact with nurses
//
In addition, officers will have to deal with "house supervisors" instead of nurses when they have a request.
//
The policy was implemented quietly in August, before the incident became public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m-contact-with-nurses-after-appalling-arrest/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Margaret Pearce, University of Utah Hospital chief nursing officer, said law enforcement officers will instead have to work with hospital supervisors, who are more understanding of law enforcement codes. She added hospital officials won't interact with officers in a patient-care area also.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45671818&n...tocol-with-law-enforcement-after-nurse-arrest

I thought nurse Wubbles understood the law. This seems to put blame on her. Thoughts?

Police officer was relieved of his duties.

Hospitals automatically do tox screens. They need to know what they are dealing with.
LE has to follow proper procedure if they want results.

Margaret Pearce, University of Utah Hospital chief nursing officer, said law enforcement officers will instead have to work with hospital supervisors, who are more understanding of law enforcement codes. She added hospital officials won't interact with officers in a patient-care area also.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45671818&n...tocol-with-law-enforcement-after-nurse-arrest

I thought nurse Wubbles understood the law. This seems to put blame on her. Thoughts?

Universal policy in any healthcare institution- Everything is eventually the nurse's fault. I agree- this makes her seem like she didn't understand or implement the policy correctly when- in fact- SHE was the ONLY person doing things correctly.

Hospitals automatically do tox screens. They need to know what they are dealing with.

The nurse was in the right. It's sad they're implying she wasn't.

BBM: no- they don't.

I don't see or read where it seems they are putting the blame on Wubbles.??

Payne also works as a paramedic; wouldn’t he know that there had already been blood drawn? AND his statement about taking the homeless to University Hospital and taking the “good” patients somewhere else shows he has some serious issues.This guy needs to be investigated. So he’s on paid leave from his jobs. What a deal for him. He also needs a haircut.

I think he was trying to pull one over on the nurse to obtain the sample on the QT. He knew he wouldn't be able to obtain the lab results without proper documentation. He was a snake. I applaud Nurse Wubbles.

The nurse was in the right. It's sad they're implying she wasn't.

I don't think that they were implying that she wasn't in the right. They are preventing the police coming into treatment areas. I think that that is a good thing. It says to me that they cannot interfere with medical staff doing their jobs.

I don't think that they were implying that she wasn't in the right. They are preventing the police coming into treatment areas. I think that that is a good thing. It says to me that they cannot interfere with medical staff doing their jobs.

In reality no one that is not privy to information about patients should be allowed in patient areas. It's a HIPAA problem. Nurses shouldn't have to put up with that nonsense anyway.

In reality no one that is not privy to information about patients should be allowed in patient areas. It's a HIPAA problem. Nurses shouldn't have to put up with that nonsense anyway.

Exactly, the police shouldn't be allowed in the treatment area at all. All communication between the hospital employees and LEOs should be through a bulletproof window. Hand the LEOs the paperwork through the window with the reason their request is being denied. Then tell them to leave. These guys are way too dangerous to allow them to get inside the treatment area. They were actually plotting to get into the guy's room and do a illegal forced blood draw on him. If that isn't proof that cops are too dangerous to be in hospitals, I don't know what is.

Must check out Jeff Payne's facebook. He composed a song that mentions "Nurse Alex". This man is an idiot.

This is a very good article. I'm glad they are standing by and defending this nurse.

And it wasn't just that he arrested her, even though, that was bad enough, he manhandled her in a violent manner. He attacked her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back