UT - Salt Lake City Nurse Arrested for Refusing to Draw Blood Sample

Margaret Pearce, University of Utah Hospital chief nursing officer, said law enforcement officers will instead have to work with hospital supervisors, who are more understanding of law enforcement codes. She added hospital officials won't interact with officers in a patient-care area also.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45671818&n...tocol-with-law-enforcement-after-nurse-arrest

I thought nurse Wubbles understood the law. This seems to put blame on her. Thoughts?

I don't think they were putting blame on her. I think it was just a poorly written article. I agree with the change in policy. Law enforcement should be dealing with administrators, not directly with the care providers.

Must check out Jeff Payne's facebook. He composed a song that mentions "Nurse Alex". This man is an idiot.

I think it is not a legitimate page. Someone made a page to make him look even worse than he is. He is a total idiot though. :)

If this hospital is going to bar LE from patient-care areas, how will this policy impact LE 's ability to take statements from sexual assault victims and domestic violence victims?

Many times, these statements are taken in the ER exam rooms.

If this hospital is going to bar LE from patient-care areas, how will this policy impact LE 's ability to take statements from sexual assault victims and domestic violence victims?

Many times, these statements are taken in the ER exam rooms.

I am not sure that this man was in ER. I may be wrong, but I thought that he had been placed in an induced coma. I think that he would have been in a burns unit or ICU.

Accident victim at center of University Hospital blood-draw controversy dies

Police union claims Salt Lake City’s handling of the matter has made “pariahs” of the two officers who arrested nurse for refusing to allow them to obtain blood sample.

The patient at the center of a University Hospital confrontation in July that resulted in a nurse’s arrest has died.

William Gray, 43, a full-time truck driver and a part-time reserve officer with the Rigby, Idaho, police department, passed away Monday night at the hospital, according to a Facebook post by his department.

Accident victim at center of University Hospital blood-draw controversy dies

From KaaBoom's link:

His letter also notes that “police tactics sometimes strike the untrained lay person as excessive and even abusive, when they are anything but.”

Taking someone into custody “does involve going hands on and an officer must be forceful, particularly when the arrestee is refusing to cooperate or strikes out at the officer...” the letter says.

Barf. It was all the nurse's fault, don't you know...

Exactly, the police shouldn't be allowed in the treatment area at all. All communication between the hospital employees and LEOs should be through a bulletproof window. Hand the LEOs the paperwork through the window with the reason their request is being denied. Then tell them to leave. These guys are way too dangerous to allow them to get inside the treatment area. They were actually plotting to get into the guy's room and do a illegal forced blood draw on him. If that isn't proof that cops are too dangerous to be in hospitals, I don't know what is.
I know this post is old, but that is painting all officers with a broad stroke. When my daughter was in a horrific car accident, the officer on scene accompanied her to the ER behind the ambulance and stayed alongside her gurney holding her hand all through the terrifying ordeal and waited outside of her emergency triage. He was there waiting for us outside of the X-ray lab to assure us she was ok when we arrived. She has never forgotten. Officers are first responders and most are golden. Just wanted to shine a light on these hero's where THIS IDIOT officer has cast his shadow.[emoji4]

And I forgot to add, often times criminals and violent patients require LE to be in patient care areas so....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I know this post is old, but that is painting all officers with a broad stroke. When my daughter was in a horrific car accident, the officer on scene accompanied her to the ER behind the ambulance and stayed alongside her gurney holding her hand all through the terrifying ordeal and waited outside of her emergency triage. He was there waiting for us outside of the X-ray lab to assure us she was ok when we arrived. She has never forgotten. Officers are first responders and most are golden. Just wanted to shine a light on these hero's where THIS IDIOT officer has cast his shadow.[emoji4]

And I forgot to add, often times criminals and violent patients require LE to be in patient care areas so....

In the hospital, violent patients should be restrained by hospital staff, not by police.

This was not one idiot. His supervisor and other cops were also involved. The police union defended the cop's illegal actions. This is not one bad apple. You can't use a bad apple analogy, when that many people are involved.

The fact that even one police officer thought that it was OK to attempt to do an illegal forced blood draw on a hospital patient is unacceptable. Not unacceptable in a small way, unacceptable in the biggest way possible. This is so unacceptable, that massive radical changes need to be made to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again, ever. At very least the police chief and his entire administration should be fired. The people who train the cops should be fired. Every single cop should be retrained so that understand they something like this is illegal and unacceptable. The police union that defended the cop's illegal actions should be banned.

This is a nation of laws, and the police are not obeying the laws. This case is proof of that. The police must start obeying the laws or they must be fired. Unfortunately that is not happening.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46118645&n...ficer-who-arrested-u-nurse-lieutenant-demoted

Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown fired embattled police detective Jeff Payne on Tuesday and demoted Lt. James Tracy for their involvement in the July arrest of University Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels.

"I have lost faith and confidence in your ability to continue to serve as a member of the Salt Lake City Police Department," Brown wrote to Payne in a scathing letter notifying him of his termination.

The Deseret News obtained the chief's letters to Payne and Tracy through a public records request.

[h=1]Utah nurse reaches $500,000 settlement in dispute over her arrest for blocking cop from drawing blood from patient[/h]

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/10/...lood-from-patient-receives-500000-settlement/

University Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels has agreed to a $500,000 payment to settle a dispute over her arrest by a Salt Lake City police officer after she barred him from drawing blood from an unconscious patient, her attorney said Tuesday.

make a donation to the Utah Nurses Association and will help spearhead the #EndNurseAbuse campaign by the American Nurses Association

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back