Murder Charges

Any thoughts on whether it's feasible that one of the two defendants DID give up the location of where they killed Heather? But her body had moved /was no longer there(water)? Hence the reenactment of the PTL scenario?
To me, this gag order is highly suggestive of further information being held close to the vest.
Information that, if revealed in the press, would irreparably taint the jury pool?
Like cooperation....from either one...

BBM... Or possible new charges they don't want discussed at all?

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/20/3338858/scpa-says-documents-related-to.html

Two things I found interesting.

“I can promise you, whenever this case comes to trial, that whoever is left in the trial will scream to the top of their lungs to move this case from Horry County saying there’s been too much publicity,” he said.

Whoever? So does he think someone will plea out? Has someone began to talk? Or is this wishful thinking on my part?

"Horry County spokeswoman Lisa Bourcier said that the results of the search warrants are exempt under state law because the information is to be used in a prospective law enforcement action or it would disclose investigatory techniques."

I have followed many cases and the information in the search warrants has been released, most recently Hailey Owens. Curious of some of you others can shed light on your experience if there has been refusal to share the contents due to an "ongoing investigation."

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/20/3338858/scpa-says-documents-related-to.html

Two things I found interesting.

“I can promise you, whenever this case comes to trial, that whoever is left in the trial will scream to the top of their lungs to move this case from Horry County saying there’s been too much publicity,” he said.

Whoever? So does he think someone will plea out? Has someone began to talk? Or is this wishful thinking on my part?

"Horry County spokeswoman Lisa Bourcier said that the results of the search warrants are exempt under state law because the information is to be used in a prospective law enforcement action or it would disclose investigatory techniques."

I have followed many cases and the information in the search warrants has been released, most recently Hailey Owens. Curious of some of you others can shed light on your experience if there has been refusal to share the contents due to an "ongoing investigation."

If it was a defense attorney...probably implying charges will be dropped against their client...

OT: call me confused. Why has the HE forum now fragmented into so many threads? Is there a way to cluster them in one section? I have an IPad and have been searching, searching all day. Looks like there are others that are lost as me too.

Amanda Kelley ‏@TSN_AKelley · 4m
Judge has signed off on gag order in #heatherelvis case. That means lawyers and police can't comment on investigation.

https://twitter.com/TSN_AKelley

They might want to extend that gag order to include TM too. Randy Taylor arrested for murder in Alexis Murphy case had to be included in the gag order for telling reporters he would talk to them after court a month or so ago. TM is mouthy. gag her. jmo

But she might like that kind of thing :wink: KWIM

OT: call me confused. Why has the HE forum now fragmented into so many threads? Is there a way to cluster them in one section? I have an IPad and have been searching, searching all day. Looks like there are others that are lost as me too.

They did it on purpose to make it easier to access information. The main thread was too busy and too many different topics at once. :)

http://www.wbtw.com/story/25038367/grand-jury-indicts-couple-in-heather-elvis-murder

Grand jury indictment

How a Grand Jury Works

When a prosecutor brings a case to a grand jury, he presents the jurors with a "bill" (the charges) and introduces evidence -- usually the minimum necessary, in the prosecutor's opinion -- to secure an indictment. The proceedings are secret; it is standard practice to call witnesses to testify against the suspect without the suspect or the suspect's lawyer present. Indicted suspects can sometimes later obtain transcripts of grand jury proceedings, however -- and this is a big reason why prosecutors like to keep the evidence to the minimum.

However, if the case proceeds by grand jury indictment, no preliminary hearing need be held. For this reason, many prosecutors choose the grand jury indictment process because they don't have to reveal as much evidence before the trial.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/charged-with-crime-how-29677.html

I posted this yesterday in thread 30 right before it was shut down to open up all these other threads! :scared: Still trying to figure this all out, as I'm sure a lot of you are as well. Just wanted to discuss this as a possible theory and see if it has been disproven in any way.

They have Ms on camera going to and from Ptl and their home. 1. Was a residence 2nd camera was a business. If you put the information into a mathmatical formula: d=rt so, t=d/r. Anyhoo it ended up being they drove like 26mph there (probably talking out plan of attack) 70 mph towards home. This only left like 3-4 actual minutes at Ptl. I don't think she's in the river or drowned by them. But this case is 10 kinds of crazy. We may find out tm was the lochness M and came outta the lagoon. Sorry no answers only guesses here. :)

So LE says they got the gag order to hopefully prevent a change of venue. Now perhaps the FB pages give a false idea of how big this case is in MB, but I really don't see how they can keep the trial in HC. It seems like the entire area is heavily invested in the case.
But the M's have their supporters, too.

The threads have been broken out so that if you don't want to read about Disney boards, or don't care about the phone calls, or want to simply post about evidence, you can do so without seeing everything else. It takes some getting used to, especially when things like the black truck travel time ends up with the phone calls, but after a while it gets easier than trying to keep track of one thread that flies by adding three pages about Social Media, while you are making one post about security cameras.

If you start at the top level of the sub-forum and then "subscribe" to that, you will then be able to easily find and see all the threads within that sub-forum.

Imagine going into a library and none of the books are on the shelf and they're all piled into the middle of the room and you want to find a certain book... Wading through thread after thread where it's a mosh pit of topics all together with no differentiation makes it difficult to have meaningful discussions around one particular subject area.

Sub-forums are fantastic inventions. I of course am a huge fan of them.

ETA: To subscribe to a forum, go to the top level of the forum for Heather Elvis. Then click on "Thread Tools" which is found right underneath the page count (page 1 of x) on the right hand side towards the top. Then select "Subscribe to This Forum" and then press the submit button on the next page. You are then subscribed to the H.E. sub-forum and will be able to see all the threads and find them easily.

I know that Horry County--the Myrtle Beach area in particular--can feel a lot like a small town to many people... especially those who grew up here or have lived here a long time and those who are involved in the community. And the social media following of this case has been huge. But the majority of people who live in Myrtle Beach didn't grow up here (it's actually rare to meet someone who did) and don't know the Elvis family or the Moorer family. I've lived in Myrtle Beach for almost 10 years now and before Heather went missing, I had never even heard of any of them in my life. My boyfriend actually did grow up here and he didn't know them either.

Plus, Horry County is HUGE. It spans roughly sixty miles and has a population close to 300,000. To put this into perspective... if someone who lives in Green Sea drove to Murrells Inlet, they would drive 44 miles and it would take them an hour and 15 minutes... and they would never leave Horry County.

With that said, I don't think getting a fair trial should be that big of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this yesterday in thread 30 right before it was shut down to open up all these other threads! :scared: Still trying to figure this all out, as I'm sure a lot of you are as well. Just wanted to discuss this as a possible theory and see if it has been disproven in any way.

Could they have somehow gotten her down to the water and held her underwater until she stopped moving? Not sure how long this can take. I briefly looked at the Wikipedia page for it and it said something along the lines of, it will take about six minutes for the brain to die with no oxygen. I'd assume from that that it could be even shorter if there is a struggle. There wouldn't be too much noise, and not very much (if anything) to clean up.
Patched together by me (I don't know an acronym for that one-PTBM, I suppose)

Over on the phone thread, we've done math and come up with a maximum (under the world's best circumstances) of less than 7 minutes, more likely 4 minutes, for something to have happened to Heather at PTL IF whomever was in the black truck did it (assuming there was not another vehicle in play that might have arrived before the black truck). I don't think that is enough time for them to actively drown her.

Heather could have gotten in the truck of her own accord and been taken away in that amount of time, but LE seems to thinks she was killed at PTL.

Other things that I think could have happened in that amount of time:
  • Someone could have hit Heather over the head and thrown her in the river.
  • Someone could have hit Heather over the head and thrown her in a vehicle.
  • Someone could have broken her neck and thrown her in a vehicle (or river).
  • Someone could have run into her and thrown her in a vehicle (or river).
  • Someone could have shot her and thrown her in a vehicle (or river).
  • Someone could have held a gun on her and forced her into a vehicle, but that goes to the being taken from PTL again.
  • Someone could have stabbed her and thrown her in a vehicle (or river), but I think that would be too messy.

Most criminals dispose of the body within a 20-30 mi radius and somewhere familiar to them. I think this was a rage killing and I think they disposed of her as quickly as they could. Probably not far from their home. They may have threw her in a ditch or field on the way home.

But the M's have their supporters, too.

I am confused as to what that has to do with a change of venue?

ETA: They are looking for impartial jurors so anyone who has followed the case cannot be on the jury.

Chances are they will not find people who have never heard of the case, but the goal is to find people who can be impartial and be willing and able to set aside any preconceived notions in either direction and listen only to the evidence that is presented at trial. Remember a trial may take a year or more to start. A couple local trials I followed took 3 and then 2 years to get to trial. Within that time people do focus on other things than the case and the case tends to fade out of being in the news every day. Obviously the less someone knows about the case the better it is and usually 12 people plus alternatives can be found in most jurisdictions. If they are concerned by that they can always bring in a jury from another county, but it's best if they don't have to do that.

A gag order prevents either side from talking about the case to the public, which might influence public opinion. It's to protect the case, both sides.

I know that Horry County--the Myrtle Beach area in particular--can feel a lot like a small town to many people... especially those who grew up here or have lived here a long time and those who are involved in the community. And the social media following of this case has been huge. But the majority of people who live in Myrtle Beach didn't grow up here (it's actually rare to meet someone who did) and don't know the Elvis family or the Moorer family. I've lived in Myrtle Beach for almost 10 years now and before Heather went missing, I had never even heard of any of them in my life. My boyfriend actually did grow up here and he didn't know them either.

Plus, Horry County is HUGE. It spans roughly sixty miles. To put this into perspective... if someone who lives in Green Sea drove to Murrells Inlet, they would drive 44 miles and it would take them an hour and 15 minutes... and they would never leave Horry County.

With that said, I don't think getting a fair trial should be that big of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about whether people know the Elvis family personally, or whether they are prominent in town. It's more about, if they call a jury pool, what % are they going to have to dismiss immediately b/c they have joined a FB page, followed the case online, or have made up their minds?

It's not about whether people know the Elvis family personally, or whether they are prominent in town. It's more about, if they call a jury pool, what % are they going to have to dismiss immediately b/c they have joined a FB page, followed the case online, or have made up their minds?
I'm fairly sure that following a case online doesn't take you out of the jury pool unless you have stated that you believe a party in the case is guilty or not guilty. JMO based on what I have read and experienced with jury duty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back