‘Take Care of Maya’ - Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins Trial

Jack Kowalski (MK's dad) was recalled to the stand this morning.

MK is on the stand now.

WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital — Day 11​

The family of Maya Kowalski, the subject of Netflix’s “Take Care of Maya,” allege that a report of child abuse from Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital led to Beata Kowalski taking her own life. The Kowalski’s are suing doctors, the Department of Children and Families, and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital for $200 million dollars in connection to Beata’s death. According to court documents, the child abuse case against Beata was pushed forward after Maya’s physician confirmed her condition, complex regional pain syndrome, was not the fault of her parents. During the time Beata was separated from Maya, she took her own life.

Still haven't got through MK's full testimony, anyone care to provide their thoughts? I will say, this poor young lady went through so much in her young life. Extremely sad for her for the loss of her mother, she needed her mom. moo

Last edited:

Overview​

Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is a form of chronic pain that usually affects an arm or a leg. complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) typically develops after an injury, a surgery, a stroke or a heart attack. The pain is out of proportion to the severity of the initial injury.

CRPS is uncommon, and its cause isn't clearly understood. Treatment is most effective when started early. In such cases, improvement and even remission are possible.

WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital — Day 12​

The family of Maya Kowalski, the subject of Netflix’s “Take Care of Maya,” allege that a report of child abuse from Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital led to Beata Kowalski taking her own life. The Kowalski’s are suing doctors, the Department of Children and Families, and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital for $200 million dollars in connection to Beata’s death. According to court documents, the child abuse case against Beata was pushed forward after Maya’s physician confirmed her condition, complex regional pain syndrome, was not the fault of her parents. During the time Beata was separated from Maya, she took her own life.

DAILY TRIAL UPDATES

DAY 10: 10/9/23

Posted at 8:19 AM, October 10, 2023

@minor4th Good to see you here. I am especially interested in watching the Defense's case which probably won't start until a week from Monday. I personally think Johns Hopkins' lawyers are in a league of their own and I am looking forward to their evidence and presentation. Maya is scheduled to take the stand Monday or possibly Tuesday (as nothing is a sure thing with Greg Anderson). At this point of the trial, all we know is what the plaintiff has presented with added enhancement from the Netflix special (which I did not watch). The best is yet to come. MOO
I watched Maya’s testimony yesterday and Dr Kirkpatrick’s testimony today, and I think the defense has been dealt some blows. The judge now says it’s a jury issue whether Sally Smith was an agent of the hospital, and he’s allowing in more evidence that he had previously excluded. I‘m interested in seeing the defense case, but if their cross examination was any indication the last two days - I think they’re in trouble. The defense seems to be doubling down on their original theory that Maya was faking it.

Still haven't got through MK's full testimony, anyone care to provide their thoughts? I will say, this poor young lady went through so much in her young life. Extremely sad for her for the loss of her mother, she needed her mom. moo
I think she did well and hit the points she needed to hit. At times I thought her perceptions as a 9 year old might have been less than completely accurate. I think the jury liked her though and they are on her side right now, according to the questions they asked.

WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital — Day 13​

• Sad
Reactions: IDK
I'm a long-time lurker and new poster, so please let me know if content like this is discouraged. I'm a courtroom sketch artist who's been tuning into this trial; here's a practice sketch from the livestream of a particularly expressive moment by Defense Counsel today.

23-10-11_KowalskivJHACH_defense.jpeg

DAILY TRIAL UPDATES

DAY 12: 10/11/23

• Beata’s sister, Regina Chmiel, testified.
  • Jurors watched the taped deposition of Laura Ann Voes, JHACH’s ethics committee member who labeled Maya as “Ketamine Girl.”
  • JHACH Board of Directors and department heads were unaware of Maya’s situation and only learned about it by reading recent news articles.
  • Joseph Corcoran, policy and procedure expert, testified that “Staff at JHACH did not follow their own safety protocol.”

Posted at 8:23 PM, October 11, 2023

WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital — Day 14​

50 min video

Maya Kowalski and the 'Most Painful Disease in the World'​

On the stand, #MayaKowalski explains the pains that changed her life. She details the jury her condition, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, and describes it as living with gasoline inside her body, a catalyst that sets her body on fire whenever there is an incident like a sprained ankle or an asthma attack.

Reactions: IDK
Kinda crazy that the defense attorney asked “and just for frame of reference, on oct 14 earlier in the day you were at the dependency court and did you uhm you made a note that the Kowalski’s did not contest shelter at that hearing…?”

Immediate objection, seems rightfully so IMOO. Judge was correct about defense has been nonstop about how dependency stuff can’t come in and here they were mentioning that very thing.

And perhaps worst of all is that there is ZERO mention of that in her note (as claimed by Kowalski attorneys but also by me….I don’t see it whatsoever in that note about the parents not contesting to shelter or literally anything else. Wow)

Sorry image is hard to read, they warned it was low quality small text on the document

Attachments

• 92937A29-9AF3-43A8-A22E-EFD1544D1B98.jpeg
    92937A29-9AF3-43A8-A22E-EFD1544D1B98.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 18

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members