‘Take Care of Maya’ - Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins Trial

Video is 21 + minutes

MAYA KOWALSKI ADDRESSES SEEMINGLY PAIN-FREE PHOTOS SHOWN BY DEFENSE​

Maya Kowalski returns to the stand and explains while her health has significantly improved since 2015, she still experiences waxing and waning pain from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

In 2018-2019, “The Tampa Bay times” did a series of investigative articles related to systemic problems at JH All children’s hospital:

“A federal investigation into Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg found failures in oversight that went far beyond the hospital’s Heart Institute.

A report released Friday criticized the hospital’s management structure, where virtually all authority rested with a few executives, and rebuked the board of trustees for not exercising proper oversight. It also detailed systemic problems with infection control.

All Children’s had been required to submit a plan for correcting the issues earlier this month. On Friday, All Children’s said the federal government had accepted its plan, found that the most serious problems had been addressed and lifted a threat to withhold public funding.”

“The string of deaths in mid 2017 was unprecedented. Nurses sobbed in their cars. The head of cardiovascular intensive care sent an email urging his staff to take care of themselves and each other.

The internationally renowned Johns Hopkins had taken over the St. Petersburg hospital six years earlier and vowed to transform its heart surgery unit into one of the nation’s best.

Instead, the program got worse and worse until children were dying at a stunning rate, a Tampa Bay Times investigation has found.

Nearly one in 10 patients died last year. The mortality rate, suddenly the highest in Florida, had tripled since 2015.

Other children suffered life-changing injuries. Jean Kariel Viera Maldonado had a heart transplant at All Children’s in March 2017. Soon after, the stitching connecting the 5-year-old’s new heart to his body broke, and he had a massive stroke. Today, he can no longer walk, speak or feed himself. His parents care for him full time”

Last edited:
WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins All Ch...

https://youtube.com/live/eT5svcsIf9I?si=q0Rwp4qExM-Ca434 via @YouTube

riYc7yZT

Just got into this trial this week. Watched some of the movie (documentary) and question how they have this all documented going back long ago...it seems like parents have been preparing for all of this for a very long time. Also Maya was 9-10 at the time of the hospitalization and she sits there recounting every detail...cool, calm and very very coached. I think many of the symptoms she has experienced later on are results of years of ketamine and that trip to Mexico was tragic. I think the hospital did the right thing in the separation from mother. I don't trust the father and think that Maya has a real emotional and maybe physical rollercoaster ahead in life. I think Beata was guilty of many things and knew it and thus her ending. Cathi Bede was out of line no question and should have been fired....now she is really not even a party in this lawsuit. JH was not responsible for Beata's suicide....her actions were. I feel for the brother. I think Maya will get a settlement but maybe not much more than has been offered to avoid this case. FAther wanted the court case drama and now Maya thinks just like him.

I think Maya experienced some really bad traumatic events in the hospital. It seems most involved this social worker Cathi Bedy. No question much of that will stick with her but it was more than a few years ago and her level of detail is very coached and yes it is amazing to me that she is recounting this on the stand. I don't think there was any intention to harm her with getting the authorities involved...it is just the system. it is hard to say where this would have gone had parents continued to do anything to get the ketamine and at one point I read mother wanted her on hsopice. I just think the parents have a big role here and understand what the hospital did. Unfortunately as often is the case the whole system let this child down. I honestly don't know if she has the CRPS but I think she may have it. She is managing it very well now without ketamine. She is a very strong girl and I hope her future is bright...it can be and she needs to be allowed to live a normal life without Netflix and courts non stop. If Jack does not get what he wants hereI suspect he will keep going. I don't know enough about the case to understand why Cathi Bedy did not have to account for anything? In answer to above post correct I have not been thru anything even remotely similar to this situation so I don't speak from any experience. Just watching what I see on camera.

In 2018-2019, “The Tampa Bay times” did a series of investigative articles related to systemic problems at JH All children’s hospital:

“A federal investigation into Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg found failures in oversight that went far beyond the hospital’s Heart Institute.

A report released Friday criticized the hospital’s management structure, where virtually all authority rested with a few executives, and rebuked the board of trustees for not exercising proper oversight. It also detailed systemic problems with infection control.

All Children’s had been required to submit a plan for correcting the issues earlier this month. On Friday, All Children’s said the federal government had accepted its plan, found that the most serious problems had been addressed and lifted a threat to withhold public funding.”

“The string of deaths in mid 2017 was unprecedented. Nurses sobbed in their cars. The head of cardiovascular intensive care sent an email urging his staff to take care of themselves and each other.

The internationally renowned Johns Hopkins had taken over the St. Petersburg hospital six years earlier and vowed to transform its heart surgery unit into one of the nation’s best.

Instead, the program got worse and worse until children were dying at a stunning rate, a Tampa Bay Times investigation has found.

Nearly one in 10 patients died last year. The mortality rate, suddenly the highest in Florida, had tripled since 2015.

Other children suffered life-changing injuries. Jean Kariel Viera Maldonado had a heart transplant at All Children’s in March 2017. Soon after, the stitching connecting the 5-year-old’s new heart to his body broke, and he had a massive stroke. Today, he can no longer walk, speak or feed himself. His parents care for him full time”

Key findings from a federal report during the relevant time periods— the hospital was issued an IJ ( Immediate jeopardy) and could have lost their license:

“The federal government’s key findings​

Here are some of the citations from the inspectors’ 49-page report. Scroll down to read the full document.

• The hospital’s board of trustees failed to protect patients. The board did not properly oversee patient safety in areas like quality of care, medical staff credentialing and infection control. It hadn’t looked at survival data related to organ donors since January 2017, though it’s required to every year.
  • The hospital did not track how well doctors were performing. A senior director told inspectors that the hospital did not “collect, track or trend any data” for individual physicians.
  • All Children’s had widespread problems with communication. “There was no evidence of any lines of communication or accountability” between risk management and “any of the 17 committees, councils, and departments shown on the organizational chart as being responsible for the prioritization, development and deployment of clinical guidelines.
  • There were systemic failures in preventing infections. The hospital became worse at maintaining proper staff hand hygiene in 2018 but made no changes to improve. None of the five surgeons who had problems with surgical infection in 2017 and 2018 attended a training session for surgeons to prevent those infections. At least two of those surgeons were in the heart unit.
  • Nine out of 10 inspected oxygen tanks were unsecured. “If an oxygen tank explodes, it’s not a good thing. It’s a missile,” said Johns Hopkins Health System President Kevin Sowers.”

Last edited:
After watching today Monday morning is going to be fireworks. I think this "IJ" issue is going to come in and clearly from the evasion seen in the defense attorneys today they know exactly what will be found. Johns Hopkins in in MD has always had an excellent reputation and sure don't know what happened in Florida. I would not take my child there that is for sure...I think they are wishing they had settled. This is not going well for them at all and i say that as someone that has issues with both sides of this case. This judge is excellent and doing all possible to avoid a major appeal issue here should the verdict not go well for the Kowalskis.

After watching today Monday morning is going to be fireworks. I think this "IJ" issue is going to come in and clearly from the evasion seen in the defense attorneys today they know exactly what will be found. Johns Hopkins in in MD has always had an excellent reputation and sure don't know what happened in Florida. I would not take my child there that is for sure...I think they are wishing they had settled. This is not going well for them at all and i say that as someone that has issues with both sides of this case. This judge is excellent and doing all possible to avoid a major appeal issue here should the verdict not go well for the Kowalskis.
We must be watching different trials because I think the plaintiff’s claims are bordering on ludicrous now. The judge is showing bias towards them IMO and if the Kowalski’s get awarded anything atall then there are plenty of issues to raise on appeal.

Maya is an unreliable witness IMO her credibility is shaky at best when you consider her ‘memories’ were likely fogged in a haze of ketamine, propofol and a myriad of other medications that were completely unnecessary IMO.

The drastic improvement in Maya’s condition once she was out of Beata’s orbit is startling. But the exaggerated claims could be harming rather than helping at this point. Every doctor and nurse surely can’t be wrong. Coincidentally the only ones that weren’t evil were the ones allowing Maya to be pumped with Ketamine and other powerful drugs.

All MOO

We must be watching different trials because I think the plaintiff’s claims are bordering on ludicrous now. The judge is showing bias towards them IMO and if the Kowalski’s get awarded anything atall then there are plenty of issues to raise on appeal.

Maya is an unreliable witness IMO her credibility is shaky at best when you consider her ‘memories’ were likely fogged in a haze of ketamine, propofol and a myriad of other medications that were completely unnecessary IMO.

The drastic improvement in Maya’s condition once she was out of Beata’s orbit is startling. But the exaggerated claims could be harming rather than helping at this point. Every doctor and nurse surely can’t be wrong. Coincidentally the only ones that weren’t evil were the ones allowing Maya to be pumped with Ketamine and other powerful drugs.

All MOO
nope we are watching the same trial. As I previously mentioned I think this is a case that is not clear cut and I see all of your arguments above as valid....I would not want to be on this jury. Her improvement does tell me that some of what the hospital did was good but certainly one can argue that the state taking over her care was controversial. More involvement but the outcome here was not great. The guilt Maya must feel about her mother's death is mind boggling.

Totally agree. Have you been able to find a link to the report? It was supposed to be linked in the article above , but I couldn’t find it. I will keep searching though.

no link but I feel pretty sure that what the plantiff wants to come out is clear in there. It was not just heart...things were problematic all during the time in question in this trial and what the witness said is just false.

Classic case of MBP and now it turns out that Maya was out partying when her lawyer said she was too ill to go to court
As someone with chronic health conditions, I’ve had to learn to pace myself . I have to pick and choose which activities I am going to participate in because my energy levels vary day to day.

I find no fault with a teen with chronic health conditions who chose to conserve her energy by not going to court for a few days, so that she could go to the homecoming.

If she were my daughter, I would have encouraged the same!

All IMO.

Last edited:
no link but I feel pretty sure that what the plantiff wants to come out is clear in there. It was not just heart...things were problematic all during the time in question in this trial and what the witness said is just false.

I agree the witness Anderson (not attorney Anderson) gave false information. I feel bad for him if it turns out hospital lawyers withheld important information from their own expert witness!

Apparently the hospital insisted the link with the article be taken down, but here is a saved copy I found if anyone is interested:

I agree the witness Anderson (not attorney Anderson) gave false information. I feel bad for him if it turns out hospital lawyers withheld important information from their own expert witness!

Apparently the hospital insisted the link with the article be taken down, but here is a saved copy I found if anyone is interested:

Extremely interesting. I've never worked in a hospital setting, but I worked for a school-based health center and I had the opportunity to serve on a chart audit committee for other health centers. This hospital has numerous areas that need immediate attention.

As someone with chronic health conditions, I’ve had to learn to pace myself . I have to pick and choose which activities I am going to participate in because my energy levels vary day to day.

I find no fault with a teen with chronic health conditions who chose to conserve her energy by not going to court for a few days, so that she could go to the homecoming.

If she were my daughter, I would have encouraged the same!

All IMO.
This! 100%.

Wow. Big developments on Thursday and Friday. Those joint commission and CMS reports are coming in, and they will be devastating to the defense.

Hunter filed a Motion for Clarification on Friday. I predict the defense is still trying to avoid turning everything over, and the judge is going to blow his stack. Defense is probably hoping for a mistrial.

Also, the defense motion to dismiss the juror is a joke and will be denied. IMO

They got the report removed from the article? JHACH PR is working overtime right now. I noticed all the news reports focused on Maya’s photos, with quotes from Shapiro, and no reporting on the bombshell IJ report that came out on Thursday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back