02.20.2011 60 Minutes Australia Interview With Adam Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is on the Australia version of 60 minutes so it will not be the same one they are airing over here katy, we are hopeful our Australian members will watch and or transcribe, describe or post links to video if possible.

Oh OK, so sorry :eek: , I do hope someone will tell us what all is said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...-tv-20110219-1b0jo.html?from=brisbanetimes_sb

Zahra's dad talks on TV

THE Australian father of slain 10-year-old Zahra Baker reveals his side of the story for the first time, denying he was involved in his daughter's death, in an interview with 60 Minutes to air tonight.

Speaking to reporter Liz Hayes, Adam Baker refutes his wife Elisa Baker's claim that he dismembered his daughter's body.

Of course he says that. What else can he say?

I would like to hear more about him not seeing her during the previous day and a half. They have a fire and a ransom note, yet they do not check in on her, spend some time with her during that scary time?

Am I right in my time calculations that it should be airing in about 11 hours from now?

At time of posting this it is 3.00pm Australian Eastern Standard Time ... the show is on at 7.30pm ... ie around 4.5 hours from now. I'm pretty sure there's nothing groundbreaking that he will say, or that the show will present, otherwise we would have already heard of the legal response – new evidence, new angles of investigation, new warrants, his arrest, or the arrest of others. Especially since the show would have been recorded in past weeks, it's not live. As stated by me before, 60 minutes is hmmmmm - I think carefully crafted for a hungry, voyeuristic audience. It will be a sensational, tear-jerking segment that will make every Aussie lament the fact that Zahra was taken from her safe home in far north Queensland over to the USA. There will be tears shed in homes across the nation, and probably in mine as well. The irony is that if this case was being heard in Australia, there is no way in a million years that such an interview would be aired, with legal proceedings pending, and with AB as a potential suspect. Our defamation and contempt of court laws would prevent it. And even weirder that it's deemed OK for this interview to air here in Australia, but not in the USA where you have your sunshine laws. Yep, I'm skeptical, no doubts about it! I am quite stunned that AB's legal advisers allowed him to do this interview. I'm sure there would be great interest in viewing the material that is edited out of the segment, and the behind-the-scenes discussions. My feeling pre-viewing is that AB is keen to save face before his Australian audience ... his home audience.

The introduction to the 60 minutes segment indicated, amongst other things, that there are suspicious gaps in Adam's memories, and that there's no surprise the legal investigation has such a problem on their hands in solving this case. As expected however, the sensational introduction was pretty vacant and not backed up by even a second of attention to this apparent 'scoop' that would give us such insight into the truth. Nevertheless ...

I have to admit, the segment was fairly impressively put together. It showed compassion, and an attempt to portray Zahra's life with dignity ... a dignity she wasn't shown in her death. There were gorgeous photographs of Zahra ... absolutely gorgeous. In particular Adam and his mother's favourite image of her dressed in a spectacular red dress, and with white flowers braided in her hair, for her father's marriage to Elisa (who he referred to as Lisa). When Adam was looking at this pic I thought he looked so proud of her. This image, which is from their personal collection was really priceless. And other images from over the years were also shared. This gave a lovely background to the story.

Adam was interviewed, along with his mother separately. There was also a scene with the two looking through and discussing their photographs of Zahra. There was footage of the birthday vigil for Zahra held in the USA, scenes of the main street in Hickory, footage of Adam and Elisa's house, and footage of Elisa following her arrest. There was also footage (probably police footage) taken from a walk-through of parts of the interior of their house - showing Zahra's pink painted bedroom and her cupboard (closet). It appeared to be prior to the forensic dissection of the house. There was also footage of the search in the wood piles in the yard, sniffer dogs on the property and the search for Zahra in the bushland. The memorial erected in the bush with flowers and messages was also shown and an interview with a local representative (sorry I don't know who it was, maybe Lord Mayor?).

I had tears in my eyes the whole way through this, I should add (as I suspected I would ;) )

The thing that caused my heart to ache the most was watching Adam and his mother talking about Zahra, and Adam discussing the tragic mistakes he made. Firstly, I was really impressed with how both of them conducted themselves, and how much they both reminded me of Zahra - in particular her grandmother. Adam seemed filled with sorrow - and I thought regret at a level beyond comprehension. He would answer with his eyes filled with sadness, with tears beginning to well (though never filmed fully crying), and his chin would quiver in a manner that I think indicated how stressed and disturbed he was by contemplating and taking about the horrors that befell Zahra. He struggled being able to discuss some issues as he says he tries not to think about the detail of her death, though at the same time you could see the duality in his desire to know the truth.

His mother was very open, and seemed like a lady with great dignity through this harrowing time. She clearly loved Zahra dearly, and this has taken its toll on her. She was so proud showing off her favourite pics of her granddaughter and telling the stories behind them. She was very clear that she and Adam are both eager to find out the truth, though they are both scared of what it will reveal. She seemed very outgoing and strong, and far moreso than her son, who was quieter and less verbal.

Both mother and son had very similar facial expressions. Awkwardness would come across as a squishing of the mouth, which would look like a squirm/half smile of nervousness. The fact that the mother has exactly the same expression of awkwardness/half smile was very interesting to see, as it explained how Adam has this same expression. She smiled broadly as well, though Adam didn't do this much at all. He was not as animated as his mother – and this seems to be their general character throughout. He was quiet and subdued, though showed a fair bit of emotion, while she wears her heart on her sleeve and is very open and lively. Much of this I interpret as Aussie male character, as men here are not so prone to displaying their emotions. It's not considered 'manly'.

The most animated discussion he had was on the issue of how much of a mistake it was to have introduced Elisa into their lives, and how he felt Zahra would definitely be alive and well (without any doubt) if she had not been in their lives. He admitted he has no idea who she is now, not a clue. And this was in sharp contrast to the way he described the persona he had seen of her earlier in the relationship. He said she initially was so kind and family oriented, and he wanted to have more children with her to give Zahra brothers and sisters. You could see he felt a bit foolish with his own naivety as he looks back on that now.

He was asked if he felt Elisa had killed Zahra. He looked sad, and to blame. I think because he feels he was ultimately responsible for bringing Elisa into their lives. He said he believes she must be behind this. When asked about seeing Elisa hurt Zahra he discussed the incident with the black eye (prompted by the interviewer). He said he hadn't ever seen any violence, and that when he saw the black eye he asked both Elisa and Zahra about it, and both explained the same story – that Zahra had fallen in the bathroom and hit herself on the vanity (?). He said he felt Zahra must have been told what to say and was scared, so told the story. Again he looked like he felt as if he was a fool for missing the signs.

Asked whether he played any role in the murder/dismemberment he was clearly sad and said he had not done anything untoward to his daughter and that there was no way he could do anything to hurt her. He didn't avoid the hard words "dismemberment" or anything", and appeared quite able to discuss these.

While answering questions Adam would look the interviewer straight in the eye. While hearing the questions he would look at her, then look down remembering things, then would raise his eyes and reply. This is a pretty normal way for people with visual memories to recall things, so I thought it was pretty normal. His eyes didn't flicker around at all.

He discussed how empty he feels without Zahra. And also of how he wishes to return home to Australia with Zahra to try and recover some of his life. He spoke of the things people in Hickory yell at him, and the way they look at him. Also of how the accusations have been made by Elisa of his guilt. He looked helpless in a way – like he doesn't know what to do to survive this situation of judgement.

When asked about the possibility that Zahra died from an illness he stated outright "no way". This then led the interviewer to ask about the timeframe of when he last saw Zahra. He stated it was not weeks as has been suggested by Elisa, but when pressed for further comment he looked very awkward. The reporter said that we hear he was away for work for much of the time prior to Zahra becoming missing, and again he seemed awkward. When pushed he stated he was really unable to discuss these details as the investigation and case were pending and he could not say anything that might impede the investigation and justice for Zahra. My feeling is that this information must be critical to the case, so we'll just have to remain patient until it comes out in the court case.

I'll post this now, have dinner, and then come back and re-read. Anything I've missed out I'll add later tonight ;)

Hope this helps!

hi girls (and boys) I am here, it is about to start so hubby is going to listen and I will type......

so what happened to zahra???

dad will tell his version

photos of zahra......telling her story re cancer etc

have just put the 911 call on

ab: she was the centre of my life and now she is gone, I dont know what to do, I feel very empty....

reporter: ab is a lonely man, he raised her by himself.....

what was it about Lisa??

ab: she was very caring and loving, I wanted a happy family life, more children and brother and sisters for zahra

ab: it is very hard to see people on the street, staring and yelling; that I need to be locked up

reporter....telling about fire and bizzare twists and random note

playing 911 call again.

4 days into search eb made the admission that she written the note and 9 days later lead the LE to her body.

reporter: shocking that body had been cut to pieces

zahras grandma on now

saying she thought she would see her again (karen baker) showing photos of zahra...

she is sitting with ab showing the photos.....showing the photo of zahra in her bridesmaid dress and sayint how proud she was that day.

she wants answers

lisa baker told relatives zahra died of illness..saying 2 weeks prior to her going missing

ab: re dismemberment, not something I can think about, it makes me sick that somebody can do it;

reporter: Lisa alleges you did it

ab:yes that is what she says....

reporter: is that untrue.

ab: that is the biggest lie she has ever told, I would never hurt my child, there is no way on earth I could do that.

reporter: do you believe lisa had anything to do with it.

ab: i think she had something to do with it, I am not sure.

so many things that have popped into my head that I dont want to think about, it is too hard and heartbreaking.

reporter: is it possible she died of an illness

ab" not possible

reporter: did she die two weeks prior

ab: no..

reporter: did you see her

ab:yes

reporter saying re long work hours and Lisa telling him Zahra was in her room however there are discrepancies in when he did see her.

asking him when he last saw her.

ab: he is saying it is very hard to talk about the case as it is an ongoing investigation and he wants justice for zahra.

reporter: you understand that it is hard for people to beleive this

ab: yes i know.

reporter telling about EBS 7 marriages and 3 at once

reporter: did you see Lisa ever mistreat zahra?

ab: no

reporter: well relatives have said that she was abusing her

what about black eye?

ab: yes I saw the black eye and I asked both of them

lisa said zahra slipped in the bathroom and hurt herself on the cabinet, zahra said this is what happened, I think now that she was scared.

basically he said again that he did not kill or dismember his daughter and that the worst thing he ever did was bring Lisa into their lives.

Karen Baker saying she can not beleive after he saw what zahra went through that he could dismember her.

reporter: is there anything you havent said

ab: no

reporter: do you think you have a case to answer

ab: I I III (stutters and I thought he said dont know) didnt do anything, I didnt kill or dismember her.

Just to let you know my hubby knows nothing of this and watched this with me and he said he was a good actor and didnt seem too cut up..

I taped this as well so will go back and see if there was anything I missed.

The reporter was Liz Hayes who I respect very much.....as Flakes said it was a good report, she was very sympathetic re Zahra but also bought up the questions that needed to be and are being asked.

Also like Flakes said I thought AB had alot of sadness in his eyes but he certainly did not come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. I do not know what to beleive but one thing I do beleive very much is that this guy was (I have an australian term but too rude to use) "besotted" with Lisa and she well and truly had him duped especially in the beginning, but by the sounds of reports from the other hubbies, she was very good at getting them in hook line and sinker, and the "real" Lisa emerges. I think he worked too much to see the real her emerge.

I am hoping that he wasnt besotted too much and he didnt help her cover up zahras death.

While cooking dinner I asked my partner about their thoughts. The reply was that Adam looks like he's gone through an awful lot. Also that Adam is either: 1) totally innocent, or 2) that he is well rehearsed. But my partner added that being well rehearsed is no indication whatsoever of guilt or innocence. It just means that he's had a lot of time to think over questions and answers.

My feeling is that my partner is usually spot on – a very sound judge of character, and the most analytical, scientific, skeptic of all time. ie the opposite of me :)

If I was in Adam's boots I can guarantee that I would have contemplated every possible question that the world could throw at me. I would also have gone over answers in my mind about how I would deal with such questions. Additionally, there would have been people in his ear, guiding him through all of this - his lawyers, his family and friends, and others (such as counselors). This would happen whether he is truly innocent or is feigning his innocence.

As I suspected, I feel like I'm left with really nothing more to take away from the interview than that his mother's expressions are identical to his. Where he squishes his mouth when under the hammer, which looks like a half smile of awkwardness, she does exactly the same thing. This is IMO not anything to do with guilt – it is a nervous grimace type expression.

The greatest value of watching the segment for me was seeing the gorgeous photo of Zahra at the wedding in her red dress. This little girl really did experience moments of great happiness in her life, which is comforting to remember.

The presenter did not bring much emotion into the interview, the questions were fairly objectively presented. Also, the introduction to the segment didn't indicate that they feel he is necessarily innocent, though not charged at this point with any crime. They were playing it safe IMO as on the surface you could take the interview as portraying him as a victim of crime, but they needed to cover their butts in case he is suddenly charged.

edit:
Another thing they discussed in the segment was Elisa's multiple marriages, and how Adam's marriage to her was not valid.

I think to a degree Elisa was portrayed in a pretty poor light. But this is justifiable given all things that have come to light so far ;)

Just in case the website takes the video off, here is a YT video of the interview.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhV5AHyMYI[/ame]

So sad, I hope justice is brought to those responisble quickly. She touched our hearts and she deserves peace.

I think the piece was well put together. Loved seeing some more pics I have not seen before. So beautiful! Did not really learn anything new, other then Adam saying there is no way Zahra died in September. One thing that struck me is when Liz asked him if he was guilty of anything, and he said no. I would have expected him to say he was guilty of something, like not paying enough attention to what was going on, or something along those lines. If it proves true he had absolutly no knowledge or involvement in her death and disposal, it would be logical to think he still has a ton of guilt and regret.
As to when he last saw Zahra, it seems he still can't answer that question, and I understand that the investigation is ongoing, but I do not see the harm in him giving an answer to that, considering he has answered that question several times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419