UK - Jacob Billington dead, 7 hurt after stabbings in Birmingham, 6 Sept 2020 *Arrest*

dotr

Reaction score
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/birmingham-england-stabbings-1.5714176
''Club promoter says racial slurs heard on the street as 2 groups fought ''

''A man was killed and seven people injured in late-night stabbings in a busy nightlife area of the central England city of Birmingham, police said Sunday.

The Snow Hill area was cordoned off with police tape on Sunday morning as forensic teams worked.

Police said they were searching for a lone suspect in what appeared to be random attacks.''

''Graham said two of the seven injured people, a man and a woman, were in critical condition in hospitals. Five others received "relatively minor" injuries.

The site of one attack is in the city's Gay Village, but Graham said there was no suggestion the crime was "motivated by hate."

Cara Curran, a club promoter at the Arcadian Centre, near the scene of the violence, said she saw multiple people fighting in the street in and around the venue. ''

Last edited:
Birmingham stabbings: 'I saw him stab a woman in the neck and a man covered in blood,' says eyewitness
''Birmingham stabbings: 'I saw him stab a woman in the neck and a man covered in blood,' says eyewitness''
''Police are hunting for an unknown male suspect''.
''Bar owner Savvas Sfrantziz told Sky News he saw the man, who he described as "a black guy between 20 and 25, wearing a black hoodie with two white stripes on the front, black trousers and a black cap".

Mr Sfrantziz said: "I saw him stabbing the girl several times in the neck. I was only about 20 yards away.

"She started screaming: 'He's stabbing me.' But everybody thought he was robbing her because she had a necklace.''

One man killed, seven injured in stabbings in Birmingham, UK
2020_9$largeimg_1608291573.JPG

Police officers stand near the scene of stabbings in Birmingham, Britain, on September 6, 2020. Reuters

''A number of other stabbings were reported in the area shortly after,” they said in a statement.

Police cordons were in place on Sunday morning in three separate locations in the city centre: Hurst Street, Irving Street and Edmund Street.

A knife was visible to a Reuters witness beside a drain in Edmund Street.

West Midlands Mayor Andy Street said the series of incidents in the Hurst Street area of the city centre appeared to be related but the motivation for them was not yet understood''.

One dead and seven injured with 'indiscriminate' killer on the run
''Another witness, Gary Prentis, the co-owner of LGBT bar Eden, on Sherlock Street, told how the knifeman "strolled past" and tried to hail a taxi - having knifed eight people and left one dead.

He said: "The suspect strolled past Eden at 2.01am and tried to get into a taxi. The taxi driver must have turned him away because he kept walking.

"He seemed relaxed, not running - just strolling. At that point we didn't know who he was or what he had done.

"But people came running over from the bars on Hurst Street telling us that he had stabbed people.

"By that point he had walked away along Sherlock Street and disappeared."

Birmingham Stabbings: CCTV released of suspect - LBC

Detectives want to speak with this man over last night's attack. Picture: PA
''Savvas Sfrantzis, a restaurant owner, said the attacker was "cold" and "calm" as he left the scene, walking along the street, and witnesses claim he "smirked" after the attack.

A 23-year-old man died after the attack, and a man and a woman, aged 19 and 32, were left with critical injuries.

Five other people, aged between 23 and 33, were also injured. They were treated in hospital and so far two have been discharged.''

“At this stage we believe that the attacks were random and we have no indication of a motive. I would urge people to remain vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to us.

“We are appealing for anyone who recognises the man in the footage to contact us urgently. We have a hotline number and a dedicated web page where you can submit information, photos and videos. If you see him, please do not approach him, but dial 999 immediately.”

Footage and images can be uploaded to www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk

The number to call with information relating to these incidents is 0800 056 0944.''

Last edited:
Manhunt Underway After Stabbings in Birmingham, England

The photo in the above-linked article shows one of the crime scenes with LGBTQ Pride flags painted on the asphalt and strung overtop that section of the bar, and I am curious to know if all the bars where (or near where) people were attacked were LGBTQ-oriented, or if these were just truly random attacks.

Edited to add: found answer to my question here: Birmingham stabbings: footage released as police hunt suspect. “One of the incidents happened close to Birmingham’s Gay Village, but Graham said there was also no evidence the stabbings were linked to hate crime.”

Last edited:
I know this is from the Daily”Fail” so I am taking this with a grain of salt, but the article reports that “sources” have indicated that this may have been motivated by anti-LGBTQ sentiment;
Birmingham knifeman 'confronted man about a girl' before stabbing spree | Daily Mail Online
From your link:
Police sources told MailOnline one line of inquiry was the attack, part of which took place in the city's gay village, could have been intended to target members of the LGBT community.

However a spokesman for West Midlands Police said at this stage the force believes the attacks were 'random' and they have no indication of a motive. It is not believed the man killed was gay.

1. https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-birmingham-54046862

''Jacob Billington, 23, was out with school friends from Liverpool visiting one of their group in Birmingham when he was attacked on Irving Street on Sunday morning.

West Midlands Police/family handoutCopyright: West Midlands Police/family handout
    Another friend, also 23, was seriously hurt and remains in a critical condition in hospital.

His family added Jacob was "a funny, caring and wonderful person who was loved by every single person he met" and "we have been devastated by his loss".

The force said another man, aged 30, who was stabbed in Livery Street and a 22-year-old woman, attacked in Hurst Street, remain in hospital in a critical condition.

A 27-year-old man, arrested at his home in Selly Oak, remains in custody on suspicion of murder and seven counts of attempted murder.

Officers said three others, two men and a woman, were arrested from the same address on suspicion of assisting an offender.''

Birmingham stabbings: Zephaniah McLeod charged with murder of Jacob Billington

Sky News
Birmingham suspect who 'killed 1 & left 7 injured' freed from jail 5 months ago
''Zephaniah McLeod, 27, had been jailed for three years in 2017 but was released at the halfway point of his sentence.''
He is believed to have first lived in a halfway house in Dudley, West Mids, before moving into a three-bed house in Selly Oak, Birmingham.

McLeod did not need to be subjected to probation controls because he had already served his full prison term.

But today it emerged he suffers from “serious” mental health problems - sparking major questions over how he was monitored in the community by over-stretched local health teams.''

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back