12 Top Reasons to Stop Smoking Now New Evidence May Be the Most Convincing Yet

Smokers smell so bad that... (MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL)

• Total voters
In 8 days I will have been quit a year after heavily smoking for 25+ years.

It only bothers me every great once in a while now. Last time was when I had a glass of wine with my oldest daughter about 3 weeks ago. I'll just wait on having another because now I know that's a trigger LOL.

:)

I smoked like a chimney for 40 years. June 9, 2009 I quit. I feel so much better. I LOOK so much better. I have so much more money because around here, smokes cost around $10 PER PACK. I just did it cold turkey. Now when people smoke around me it bothers me.

It's low level laser. It's like a little 'gun' and the tech shoots it at places on your ear, hand, face. You don' t feel anything at all.
It took about half hour, and was very relaxing. I don't know....but it worked!

http://www.quitnowusa.com/

I've been a non-smoker for 17 years. It took me 4 or 5 attempts to actually stop. It sucked. I quit cold turkey on Good Friday in 1994 and by Easter Sunday I felt so sick...but within a couple days it passed. I smoked just over a pack a day, and I LOVED smoking, I really did. The times that I "relapsed" and started smoking was when I was out in a bar drinking and partying, just something about that Jack and Coke and a Marlboro...quite frankly, I miss smoking, but, I think of my sister who suffered a massive stroke and who was (and still is!) a heavy smoker...she can't move her left side, but by-god she wheels herself into the smoking room of the nursing home where they light her right up!!

So, to anyone out there contemplating quitting...go for it! It's not easy, but it IS definitely worth it. I've heard Chantix is pretty good, a few people at work have used it successfully.

Great links in this thread, interesting reads!

Hate to say...

Watched 2 grandfather's die from lung cancer. I've seen the pics of lungs. Didn't do a thing for me... Thought about leaving my kids orphans, felt guilty, but not enough to quit.

I have to do it for me, and me alone. The stench gets to me but I'm just not ready...

Chantix = one insane Scorp.

E-cig = meh... Maybe not the right level of nicotine.

Patch = still smoke

Gum is for desperate situations...

Excuses, excuses, Scorp...

Okay Smart Blond I am in...I have been buying mine on the res too by the way. 25 a carton is cheap compared to 75 for marlboros. My husband used chantix when we quit for the 5 months (ya, soon as I had one he did too) I am ready and so is he. We have been talking about it a lot. Still mad we started again. So I am in and I am sure he is too.
Oh I did go to a hypnotist once too. I was smoking as I drove away but my dad went to the same guy and never had another one. He said he couldn't wait to get home for a cig (he left them on the table) and by the time he got there he had no desire. Different strokes for different folks.

To think I started smoking in High School to be 'cool'.
I don't feel that cool anymore.

I'm going to do it. I'm going to set a date and 'prepare' so I don't have any excuses, then just do it.

I started in high school to be cool too. Nov 17 th is the smokeout!

I am starting e cigg's tomorrow ! I have been smoking since I was 13 and I am now almost the ripe old age of 40.

I have two friends who smoked really heavy like two 1/2 packs a day, they havent had a cig in over two months and they are doing it with the e cigs. I went out and bought one today in burgundy , to match my phone ... lol I tried it out today and I think it's for me, and I am so excited to finally be ready to quit for myself :)

I quit some time in August 2010, after smoking for about 40 years. I'd quit for over a year a couple of times before. What has kept me from relapsing this time was that I read an article about a study showing that even one cigarette has extremely harmful effects (the information in the original post, in fact), so the idea of smoking "just one more this one time" no longer seemed harmless.

:innocent:Oh, and I'm still sucking on the weaker nicotine lozenges at trigger times. So, basically, I gave up only the tar part of smoking.

I started with the 4 mg lozenges and weaned myself to 2 mg. Then I tried making my own lozenges that didn't have any nicotine in case I was just addicted to sucking on sweet, peppery lozenges. That didn't work out, but I might get down to 1 mg each by mixing equal amounts of ground 2 mg lozenges and homemade-lozenge mix (Wilton gum paste, powdered sugar, white pepper, cardamom, cayenne).

disclaimer -- I don't think people are supposed to keep using the lozenges for as long as I have.

I destroyed and threw away almost a full pack of cigs at midnight on March 31st of this year and have used an e-cig ever since. It will be 7 months on November 1st and I haven't craved a cigarette one time even though I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 40 years. My husband quit at the same time - and we didn't kill each other or anything, we actually enjoyed it.

The thing with e-cigs is you have to get the one that's right for you and it has to be a decent quality. Do not buy the overpriced junk they sell at the mall kiosks, and forget the disposable ones. They're a waste of money and they won't work. I use the Joye Ego, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. There are many forums you can visit to learn about e-cigs and ask questions. People with no agenda, unlike the sales people at the mall, will help you find an e-cig and nicotine juice that's right for you. There's some trial and error involved. I started out on 24mg nicotine e-juice and have weened myself down to 0%. The e-cig satisfies my hand to mouth habit and works for me even when I have a few beers. I love it.

By my calculations, after subtracting the money we've spent on e-cigs and supplies, hubby and I have saved about $2,800 since April 1st. Not too shabby.

I bought two at a mall kiosk for me and bf... really didn't want to be a smoker anymore :( They sit, unused...

i quit feb 28, '09. i had 2 reasons. one of my uncle's cousins showed up at a family gathering, oxigen tanks in tow. as we were all visiting, some of us went outside to grab a smoke, and there she came, oxigen tank and all. she shut off the valve and lit up. i was stunned!.

with this on my mind, about a week later uncle came home with a carton of cigs for me, as usual. he mentioned that they went up another $7. that meant 32 dollars, sometimes more, that i was burning up every 5 days or so! it made me so mad i told him he wouldnt have to buy me any more smokes, i was quitting. he rolled his eyes. i smoked up that carton, each one i thought about it (200 times) when they were gone, i quit, cold turkey.

i havent had a cig since that day, but i crave them every morning. before i get awake my hand just naturally pats around on the table, looking for a cig LOL

people have offered me cigs since then, and uncle has offered to buy em, but nope. i dont think i could survive quitting again!

Read the article for more info.

I'm gonna guess that very few smokers will even look at this article.

well I dont know what you'd count me as, I switched to an e-cig (nicotine inhaler) 31 may 2008 and except for the week of july 5th of 2011 I've not smoked cigarettes. but I read the article :)

the point about the smell is poignant (pun?) I'd never really noticed the smell as both my parents smoked before me but as I've quit, I can smell it on people walking by me, and I can smell it on stuff I bought from ebay, I can smell it on stuff people send me from the US (point being it spent ages in transit and I can still smell it on paper)

Dec 2nd, I will be 2 years smoke free..

I started smoking when I was 11, or 12? so, I'd say that I smoked for well over 30 some thing yrs.

I tried qutting cold turkey...no go

I tried using nicotine patches to quit...no go

I tried chewing nic gum...no go

I tried chantix, big nightmare..no go

I tried ecig...Havent smoked a ciggy in almost 2 yrs..

I have copd...was diagnosed with it about 5 yrs ago..

Sure, I get a little nicotine...no biggey for me..

my doc says the little nicotine that I get is no issue...
he has run blood test on me, and there is very little nicotine in my blood work..

I get just enuff nic from the ecig to keep me from going up the walls...

my family doc is happy for me...

my pulm doc is happy for me...

I dont cough like I used to, dont get as sick as I use to..

my copd will progress, but now that I dont smoke, I can at least slow it down...

I vape...im happy...
heck, ive known a few people to to stop smoking using nic gum, and 7 yrs later, they still have to chew their nic gum...

its the nic...goota have that nic, jmho

im cool with getting just nic...at least I dont have the other 4000 chemicals...

ecigs are my blessing

just my 2 cents

I destroyed and threw away almost a full pack of cigs at midnight on March 31st of this year and have used an e-cig ever since. It will be 7 months on November 1st and I haven't craved a cigarette one time even though I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 40 years. My husband quit at the same time - and we didn't kill each other or anything, we actually enjoyed it.

The thing with e-cigs is you have to get the one that's right for you and it has to be a decent quality. Do not buy the overpriced junk they sell at the mall kiosks, and forget the disposable ones. They're a waste of money and they won't work. I use the Joye Ego, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. There are many forums you can visit to learn about e-cigs and ask questions. People with no agenda, unlike the sales people at the mall, will help you find an e-cig and nicotine juice that's right for you. There's some trial and error involved. I started out on 24mg nicotine e-juice and have weened myself down to 0%. The e-cig satisfies my hand to mouth habit and works for me even when I have a few beers. I love it.

By my calculations, after subtracting the money we've spent on e-cigs and supplies, hubby and I have saved about $2,800 since April 1st. Not too shabby.

I have 2 joy ego's and a penstyle:great:

Hate to say...

Watched 2 grandfather's die from lung cancer. I've seen the pics of lungs. Didn't do a thing for me... Thought about leaving my kids orphans, felt guilty, but not enough to quit.

I have to do it for me, and me alone. The stench gets to me but I'm just not ready...

Chantix = one insane Scorp.

E-cig = meh... Maybe not the right level of nicotine.

Patch = still smoke

Gum is for desperate situations...

Excuses, excuses, Scorp...

I started myself at 36 mgs w/ the ecig...the 36 mgs sounds high..but heres the thing,,,you have to take at least 4 vapes to equal on puff of a real ciggy...jmho

also, If your a heavey smoker you can start at a high mg like 36 mgs, then walk your self down to 24, 18, 16, 12, and 8mgs etc..jmho

Join the e-cigeratte forum and try that. I quit almost two years ago. I would recommend the Ego-T

the ecig forum is wonderful mo

Good people there, lots of advice, very friendly forum,jmho

I've been smoke free now for 12 years. This book helped me out tremendously Amazon.com: Hooked but Not Helpless: Kicking Nicotine Addiction (9780962368370): Patricia Allison, Jack Yost: Books. I carried it around with me like a bible for weeks when I first quit smoking lol. I also kept a diary for the first two weeks of how I was feeling. So if I ever decided to go back I could read it and remember how miserable I felt.

I was extremely emotionally addictided to cigarettes and cried when I first quit I felt like I lost my best friend
But getting back to the book, it helped me because it didn't make me feel like a freak of how much I loved to smoke. It tells you nothing will take its place no going for a walk, munching on carrots etc. will take the place of that cigarette! Because after that walk or handful of carrots guess what you want??? A cigarette!!!
This book treated it like a real addiction not just a nasty habit. I could really identify with some of the people in the book.

Good luck to all of you it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

I started myself at 36 mgs w/ the ecig...the 36 mgs sounds high..but heres the thing,,,you have to take at least 4 vapes to equal on puff of a real ciggy...jmho

also, If your a heavey smoker you can start at a high mg like 36 mgs, then walk your self down to 24, 18, 16, 12, and 8mgs etc..jmho

Aha! That was our problem... Started out with 12mg...

If we could quit, our house wouldn't reek, my car wouldn't reek, our kids clothes wouldn't reek...

Hope to have some time to research today... Does the e-cig forum have pricing info? If anyone has some good deal info for me, please msg me :)

I kicked antidepressants... I just might be able to do this too!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back