17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how many second trials after a mistrial result in a successful conviction?

Isn't it quite common for a second (and especially third trial) to succeed? I've heard it said conventional wisdom holds that retrials greatly favor the prosecution because the DA knows how to focus his case.

But I readily admit I've never seen any formal statistics? Is the conventional wisdom wrong?

They finished their investigation and forwarded the results to Wolfinger for possible prosecution.
And Wolfinger convened a grand jury. And then Corey took over.

Needless to say, I disagree. I don't know what will happen with Lee, since it seems unclear at this point, but I hope that both he and Wolfinger don't lose one minute's sleep over this entire debacle.

I bet they've lost more sleep over their own careers than they ever did over the investigation of a young black man in their jurisdiction. Except as it applied to their own political agendas, that is.

IMO JMO MOO

And Wolfinger convened a grand jury. And then Corey took over.

SPD still felt he was immune even from arrest per SYG/self defense law...They never made an arrest

JMO MOO IMO

The investigation was over on Mar 23 according to chief Lee.

The Sanford Police Department has conducted a complete and fair investigation of
this incident.

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/Zimmerman_Martin_shooting.pdf
And when did the regime change occur? :waitasec:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/trayvon-martin-state-attorney_n_1374206.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-22/police-chief-trayvon-martin/53713234/1

http://www.flgov.com/2012/03/22/gov...force-in-response-to-trayvon-martin-incident/

Looks as if he stepped down on March 22. And he was replaced on March 23.

SPD still felt he was immune even from arrest per SYG/self defense law...They never made an arrest

JMO MOO IMO
Why make an arrest when you don't know if you can prosecute? Corey came in as the investigation was completed. They were never given the chance.

It just seems to me that it would logically be harder to prosecute a case the second time around (especially for cases that are already pretty hazy to begin with), and therefore there would be a lower conviction rate. I have no statistics. Just curious.

Forget my request for stats, then. I don't have any either.

But I have heard both DAs and defense attorneys on true crime shows say that a mistrial really helps the prosecutor to evaluate which arguments work with a jury and which do not. Also, some jurisdictions require more disclosure from the State than from the defense, so a first "go" lets the DA know what the defense is likely to do.

Sorry. I don't think my account really explains why a second trial helps the prosecution more than the defense, but that's what I've heard both sides say on TV.

Or that they were investigating, as has been the case with other SYG cases before this one. Ernestine Broxie wasn't arrested until almost a year later, and she shot the dude twice in the back, in his own home.

It was her home, he was just renting it from her.

~jmo~

Why make an arrest when you don't know if you can prosecute? Corey came in as the investigation was completed. They were never given the chance.

March 12th.

As of Monday March 12th, 2012, the investigation into the shooting death of Trayvon
Martin continues by Sanford Police Department. Investigators are finalizing details in
preparation to turn the case over to the State Attorney’s Office. The Sanford Police
Department feels the investigation will be completed today.

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/TwinLakesTownhomesShootingUpDate2.pdf

Did LE know it was a security code lock at the time they first looked at the scene?
And the witnesses would have said they did not know him or recognize him.

And he had no car keys on him. No wallet. I am not sure why they would be considered lax about the phone. If he had it locked, then they had no way to get in there at the crime scene.

That would imply that the SPD sat there from say, 8pm until the next morning and made no attempt to discover the identity of a dead teenager. Glad I don't have children and live in Sanford. That's pretty sloppy police work. :twocents:

Surprise surprise. Seems he sure likes his newfound celebrityhood doesn't it?

~jmo~

Imo, he is just doing his job. Crump and Natalie Jackson and their other partners are on every show I see. And they are hitting the emotional vein really hard, about how distraught the parents are, and how unfair it is for GZ to have a bond.
So why shouldn't he go on the air and give his side?

Looks like he was still talking for the PD at the behest of the City.
Or it was a statement prepared the prior day that was released by the PIO on the 23rd. The point is that the investigation concluded as the investigative teams were switching. There was no chance for an arrest. Perhaps if all was left alone to begin with, and the police were allowed to work, Zimmerman would have been in jail on April 10.

That would imply that the SPD sat there from say, 8pm until the next morning and made no attempt to discover the identity of a dead teenager. Glad I don't have children and live in Sanford. That's pretty sloppy police work. :twocents:

I think it was figured out that by 3 am or os they had his correct identity. It was on a police report by that time. So maybe it took that long to get his phone open.

If you had kids in Sanford I am assuming you would look for them if they never returned home when they said they were going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member