2008.09.14 Casey Enters No Guilty Plea On Fraud Charges - REVISITED

I have a feeling that what will happen is, right before she has to go to court for this (November), she will change her plea to these charges to "guilty by reason of temporary insantity", and say that she was trying to get money to track down her missing daughter, and that she was all freaked out about it, and was stealing anywhere or anyway she could to have that money to use to be able to track Caylee down with, and that if she had to do it all over again she would, and blah, blah, blah.....:rolleyes:

Or, she'll make a deal. I've been called to jury duty many times and most of the time the jury pool stood around while defendants made last minute deals. So maybe the 'not guilty' plea leaves the door open on those charges for a deal later?

BTW, no jury is going to believe her defense. Stealing, cooking Tony and his buddies food, and buying spirits at the nightclub. Caylee was almost 3 not 21! SRY- her actions make me sick...oh yeah, and getting a tatoo.

I have a feeling that what will happen is, right before she has to go to court for this (November), she will change her plea to these charges to "guilty by reason of temporary insantity", and say that she was trying to get money to track down her missing daughter, and that she was all freaked out about it, and was stealing anywhere or anyway she could to have that money to use to be able to track Caylee down with, and that if she had to do it all over again she would, and blah, blah, blah.....:rolleyes:

Not allowed under criminal rules.

Insanity defense cannot be sprung like a snake out of a can. We would all know about it. There would be "notice."

The insanity defense does not seem to loom as a factor on these charges...Distress, emotional chaos, will not cut it....

jmo

It'll be an interesting trial if it comes to be a murder trial.
By making a deal, I meant on the fraud/forgery charges. It'd probably be to her benefit. I have no idea about the child neglect charges. Can you plea bargain on those? Hmmm.
I doubt she'll make a deal on the murder charges, if she's charged with murder eventually, esp if there's no body found.

It'll be an interesting trial if it comes to be a murder trial.
By making a deal, I meant on the fraud/forgery charges. It'd probably be to her benefit. I have no idea about the child neglect charges. Can you plea bargain on those? Hmmm.
I doubt she'll make a deal on the murder charges, if she's charged with murder eventually, esp if there's no body found.

Yes you can can plea bargain on those...really any charges can lead to wheeling and dealing.

However, just because one side or the other wants to make a deal, the opposing side may not necesssarily be in a bargaining mood.

You have to have something that will benefit the other side, something to offer the other side in exchange for the bargain. In high stakes cases, it's really just a glorified form of complicated negotiations. It's a quid pro quo thing...

:smiliescale:
jmo

Yes you can can plea bargain on those...really any charges can lead to wheeling and dealing.

However, just because one side or the other wants to make a deal, the opposing side may not necesssarily be in a bargaining mood.

You have to have something that will benefit the other side, something to offer the other side in exchange for the bargain. In high stakes cases, it's really just a glorified form of complicated negotiations. It's a quid pro quo thing...

:smiliescale:
jmo

Thanks. I really wasn't sure about a plea bargain in a murder trial.

It'll be an interesting trial if it comes to be a murder trial. By making a deal, I meant on the fraud/forgery charges. It'd probably be to her benefit. I have no idea about the child neglect charges. Can you plea bargain on those? Hmmm.

It would most likely be to her benefit, if offered, to plea bargain out of doing the max sentence that would go along with 20+ counts of check fraud and such. She's looking at I believe 60+ years if she's convicted on all counts. She won't get the full sentence, but she's gonna' get some time; especially if it goes in front of a jury. She can bargain out of anything, though, so who knows?

She'd be stupid not to. If they bring her up on a murder charge, they will have sufficient evidence to convict. Her plea barganing on a M1 or Man1 will more than likely only reduce from death to life. (Get what I'm saying?). She's going to end up in jail the rest of her life one way or the other, just matters on which one is longer.

God I hope they find this kid soon.

Bump due to news that the Fraud Charges case may proceed.
Can we update the title of this thread please? 'Cause I was under the impression she plead not guilty today in response to the new charges!:doh:

Can we update the title of this thread please? 'Cause I was under the impression she plead not guilty today in response to the new charges!:doh:

I thought the same thing until I looked at the date. So is something happening with the charges? If so, I wonder where the link to this news is?

Here are two links

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3896053&postcount=6"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3896053&postcount=6[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85588"]State files motion to proceed with the check fraud charge[/ame]

I am puzzled at why the SA is bothering with these charges, not that I fault them for going ahead with them, at this or any other time, but I don't understand what good it will do.. facing a life sentence, an additional 5 years, or whatever they might throw at her, is not going to bother KC too much...

Snow Walker~ I think that it may have something to do with evidence...for instance if she has already been convicted on the fraud charges... or something of the sort.

There is a reason and a method here...maybe some some that know more than I can weigh in with different scenarios.

Yes, I'd love to know what our legal minds think. Also, does anybody know if she is found guilty of fraud, will she be sent to a federal prison instead of the jail before her murder trial?

Yes, I'd love to know what our legal minds think. Also, does anybody know if she is found guilty of fraud, will she be sent to a federal prison instead of the jail before her murder trial?

These are not federal charges. She is being accused by the state and would do time in county or state corrections.

These are not federal charges. She is being accused by the state and would do time in county or state corrections.

Exactly...this is NOT a federal crime. However, the condition of the govt and I dont know how florida is fairing these days will make a big difference also. Being in state govt for over 40 years I will be the first one to tell you times are different, people are not getting the sentencing as they did even a year ago. I am wondering if there is a connection with the evidence or motive theory to the murder. If the prosecution gets this trial through, KC's attorneys cant use it to prevent release of information or cross-examining questions for the murder trial. Could this be the reason?

Exactly...this is NOT a federal crime. However, the condition of the govt and I dont know how florida is fairing these days will make a big difference also. Being in state govt for over 40 years I will be the first one to tell you times are different, people are not getting the sentencing as they did even a year ago. I am wondering if there is a connection with the evidence or motive theory to the murder. If the prosecution gets this trial through, KC's attorneys cant use it to prevent release of information or cross-examining questions for the murder trial. Could this be the reason?

There is another thread discussing this but yes going to trial on this now will prevent JB from trying to greatly limit Amy's testimony or show the tapes as they could impact her defense of those charges later. *If* Cindy or George testify at the fraud trial in regards to timelines it will lock in their testimony for the murder trial. They can't give conflicting sworn statements. And it makes her a convicted felon at the penalty phase. No claim from JB that here sits a young woman with a spotless record, don't execute her.

Glad they are moving forward with this, if I was the victim as Amy was I would like to put this behind me and see the person who basically bankrupted this hardworking waitress and student be prosecuted. I also think Winn Dixie, Target and the Bank of America and maybe AT&T may want her prosecuted as well. A crime is a crime, and she not only wrote one stolen check, but several.

I posted this question on a different thread, but I'll post it here also. Since Casey is facing at least a dozen fraud charges, including fraudulent use of personal identification, could that also include a fake i.d. card found in her purse, if one was found?

I posted this question on a different thread, but I'll post it here also. Since Casey is facing at least a dozen fraud charges, including fraudulent use of personal identification, could that also include a fake i.d. card found in her purse, if one was found?

Ok, I can answer this for ya. We, meaning WS's here, do not know what type of ID was found, if in fact it was an ID card.

I personally have speculated this is what was found, but have no positive info from the doc dumps that it exists.

Now, if, huge if, it is an id card that shows KC's photo with a different name, was used to utter the fraudulent checks, then the state has a win for this.

But again, there is no proof available at this date to prove KC was in possession of a fraudulent ID card.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donna_Avery
Back