2009.5.04 Change of Venue and tainting the Jury Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wondered if the defense's lame attempts to cast an innocent man, Roy Kronk, as Caylee's murderer, could actually be considered to be jury pool tainting.

I think that Cindy Anthony going on the TODAY show and pretty much accusing OCSO for not investigating evidence is an attempt to taint as well!

Earlier today on TruTV I watched a guy talk with Brad Conway and they were discussing the tainting of the jury pool, and how South Florida might be a better location to have the trial.

What EXACTLY would be considered "tainting"?

What is the difference between jury tampering and jury tainting?

On the TODAY show Cindy Anthony said there was evidence "out there" that hasn't been investigated. How would she know that, and the authorities wouldn't? Is this an attempt to taint the jury pool? Is she SERIOUS?

What has been done to "TAINT" the jury pool that is only in Central Florida, and not reported in South Florida?

Didn't the judge rule on a change of venue already?

I am not an expert - this is my understanding only...

jury tampering is when the jury has been picked and someone has direct contact with a juror re: the case they are working on in an attempt to 'sway' the verdict

tainting the jury pool is basically the media broadcasting (either pro or con) for the defendant. Normally it is against the defendant - thus the claim that they can't get a 'fair' trial because the coverage has been too widespread it is impossible to find enough potential jurors to choose from that are unbiased.

I won't even address CA/ her investigative 'evidence', etc <<sigh>>

MOO

Does anyone else find it suspect that to date...JB's only suggestion for venue change locale is his old stomping ground, complete with plenty of officials and judges that have less than reputable interests? Just wondering if JB has someone in that area "in his pocket"...... I think that much will come down to JB's aregument against a gag order.

I am not an expert - this is my understanding only...

jury tampering is when the jury has been picked and someone has direct contact with a juror re: the case they are working on in an attempt to 'sway' the verdict

tainting the jury pool is basically the media broadcasting (either pro or con) for the defendant. Normally it is against the defendant - thus the claim that they can't get a 'fair' trial because the coverage has been too widespread it is impossible to find enough potential jurors to choose from that are unbiased.

I won't even address CA/ her investigative 'evidence', etc <<sigh>>

MOO

I think it's not just the media. I Googled a bit and saw several cases where attorneys were arguing that tainting had occurred via internet blogs and forums.

ETA: Now that I think about it. I think the internet may be considered to be media.

Earlier today on TruTV I watched a guy talk with Brad Conway and they were discussing the tainting of the jury pool, and how South Florida might be a better location to have the trial.

What EXACTLY would be considered "tainting"?

What is the difference between jury tampering and jury tainting?

These are great questions for in-house legal expert "Richard Hornsby" to answer. :)

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4567479"]Rhornsby Legal Q&A #3 Relevant to the Anthony Case - Page 9 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If RK was the killer of Caylee, how did he come to have the baby in his possession. The Anthonys seem to think they can throw all kinds of hypothesis out there for consideration. What they don't have to toss around is a plausible story from their crazy daughter. The little crackpot sits like a lump of blubber allowing her parents to defend her for the killing the one thing that they probably loved more than her.

Some good information regarding the jury pool and change of venue

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4554660&postcount=53"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rhornsby Legal Q&A #3 Relevant to the Anthony Case[/ame]

Oh, JB wants a Miami venue because he went to school and worked there, hangs there, knows officers of the court there...thinks he's clever.

JMO

Even if JB achieves his change of venue to South Florida, I don't think we have to worry too much about any judges, etc. there having any influence. What will happen is that they will bus the jury to Orlando, rather than bussing all the witnesses to Miami/Dade County. There are over 200+ witnesses. Cheaper to bring in a jury.

Nevertheless, I really don't think Jose will get the change of venue. I think they will be able to find a jury in Orlando just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23