2010.07.01 Defense Releases Expert Witness List

Maybe because you have to be crazy to believe KC's story????
This is fast becoming a "joke" of epic proportions. For Pete's sake, your child has been murdered and you can only come up with this?! Where's the "truth" in any of it? We'll understand NOW, Casey?! I sure hope there's more to come...'cause I only see this making the defense team look very, very bad.

MuzikMan got this info at the courthouse

June 17, 2010 - Defense depositions
Brett Churchill - searcher
Kristin Churchill - searcher
Shelley Churchill - searcher
Charles Crittenden - Cindy co worker
Debbie Polisano - Cindy supervisor

July 13, 2010 - Defense depositions

Michael N. Burnett - Oak Ridge Lab
David C. Glasgow - Oak Ridge Lab
Madhavi Z. Martin - Oak Ridge Lab
Mark Wise - Oak Ridge Lab

July 14, 2010 - Defense deposition

Arpad Alexander Vass - Oak Ridge Lab

July 21, 2010 - State deposition

Bradley Wright - former roommate of Kronk - depo in Miami, FL

August 16, 2010 - State deposition

Laura Buchanan - searcher - depo in Iselin, NJ

On December 12, 2008 there was an emergency hearing and LKB gave names of their experts: Kathy Reichs, Timothy Huntington, Werner Spitz, and Henry Lee.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3046723&postcount=87"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Emergency Hearing re: remains-UPDATE MOTION DENIED[/ame]

I wonder when Kathy Reichs and Dr. Spitz jumped ship? (I don't see their names on the Defense Witness List.) Were these two in the group of 'experts' that had access to the photos of Caylee's remains?

On December 12, 2008 there was an emergency hearing and LKB gave names of their experts: Kathy Reichs, Timothy Huntington, Werner Spitz, and Henry Lee.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Emergency Hearing re: remains-UPDATE MOTION DENIED

I wonder when Kathy Reichs and Dr. Spitz jumped ship? (I don't see their names on the Defense Witness List.) Were these two in the group of 'experts' that had access to the photos of Caylee's remains?

I believe that they were mentioned in a recent hearing, and are still part of their "team" - but have yet to be officially listed.

Why? Oh, I dunno..... :banghead:

I believe that they were mentioned in a recent hearing, and are still part of their "team" - but have yet to be officially listed.

Thanks! This "team" needs to get their carp together. With that many attorneys and they can't even turn in a complete witness list. I guess CM was correct when he said the Judge would have it before the 8/1 deadline (I think that was the deadline). I wish JP would tell them to get their carp together and stop submitting witness lists that aren't complete.

Ok...I do hope that the State has followed Miss B. from NJ around on the Internet. Her credibility will be less than zero. IMO

Maybe they have an outstanding bill (?).

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Emergency Hearing re: remains-UPDATE MOTION DENIED

WOW! impressive research!
Great questions!

In the May 6, 2010 JAC Budget Hearing, Baez listed off the experts that he wants Florida tax payers to pay for. Some he named, some he played coy with and would not give the name, but we can match up the names now with the release of the Defense Witness List Supplement released yesterday.

Ashton told the Judge that Kathy Reichs, entomologist had already been announced in open court on Dec. 12, 2008, when Baez was asking for a forensic entomologist. Baez has apparently replaced Kathy Reichs from Canada, with Dr. Timothy Huntington, from Nebraska. Baez said that Dr. Huntington has been on the case since Dec. 11, 2008. I guess the Judge would only allow one forensic entomologist paid by JAC? Kathy Reichs was never on the Defense Witness List.

Judge told Baez that JAC would only pay for one forensic pathologist.
Dr. Werner Spitz did the autopsy on Dec. 24th, he is in Florida.
Baez has listed Dr. Scott Fairgrieve in Ontario Canada on the new Defense witness list - as the forensic pathologist. He will have to use Dr. Spitz records about the autopsy. Don't know why the change, or when Dr. Spitz backed out - or Baez told him he was out?

All of the Defense experts are named now.

- Dr. Henry Lee - criminologist from CT
- Dr. Timothy Huntington - forensic entomologist - from Nebraska
- Dr. Scott Fairgrieve - forensic anthropologist/pathologist for autopsy- from Ontario, Canada
- Dr. Jane Bock - forensic botanist/plant expert - from Boulder, CO
- Larry E. Daniel - digital forensics/computer - from Raleigh, NC
- Dr. Larry Kobilinsky - DNA expert
- Dr. Kenneth Furton - forensic chemist/dog trainer, drug analysis - from West Palm Beach, FL

The only ones left are the cell phone expert - may or may not be allowed that one.
And a "taphonomy"/human decomposition expert - may or may not be allowed that one.

Sholldn't Spitz be on the list since he did do the autopsy?????

Are all the ones listed DONE?? The reason I ask is because of the dates listed ...

(14) Jesse A. Grund - ex boyfriend of Casey - added Jan 23, 2009 [Defense depo done
July 30, 2010]
(15) Richard Grund - father of Jesse - added Jan 23, 2009 [Defense depo done
July 30, 2010]

There are a few others listed there with that date.

Are all the ones listed DONE?? The reason I ask is because of the dates listed ...

(14) Jesse A. Grund - ex boyfriend of Casey - added Jan 23, 2009 [Defense depo done
July 30, 2010]
(15) Richard Grund - father of Jesse - added Jan 23, 2009 [Defense depo done
July 30, 2010]

There are a few others listed there with that date.

I probably should not have put the word "Done" beside each listing.
The future dates are "scheduled" deposition dates.

Sholldn't Spitz be on the list since he did do the autopsy?????

Werner Spitz was replaced as a Defense Witness, with Dr. Scott Fairgrieve from Canada.
Judge Perry had said at the JAC Budget Hearing that the new Defense forensic pathologist/anthropologist, [Dr. Fairgrieve] could use Dr. Spitz' work product.

The Defense never actually put Dr. Spitz on their Witness List.

Werner Spitz was replaced as a Defense Witness, with Dr. Scott Fairgrieve from Canada.
Judge Perry had said at the JAC Budget Hearing that the new Defense forensic pathologist/anthropologist, [Dr. Fairgrieve] could use Dr. Spitz' work product.

The Defense never actually put Dr. Spitz on their Witness List.

Not to cast any doubt in the wisdom of HHJBP but it's going to be very difficult for one pathologist to use the work product of another. And it will be very easy for the state to tear him apart on cross.
I would expect the departing pathologist De Spitz came to the conclusion that the death was a homicide and that the absence of defensive breaks or contusions visible on the bones, the murder was commited by someone known and trusted by the victim.

This sentence should be removed from the Defense Witness List (I am not able to go back and edit my post). This sentence no longer applies to the Defense Witness List.

"The Defense hereby incorporates the entire State's Witness List by reference."

The State filed a Motion (Jan 23, 2009) to get rid of the Defense's Witness List, original, dated Nov 20, 2008, because it included that sentence. The State gave reasons why the Defense cannot incorporate the State Witness List.

Seven days after the State filed the Motion to Strike a portion of the Defense Witness List about incorporating, the Judge heard the Motion on Jan 30, 2009, but the State told Judge S. that it had already been resolved. The Defense removed that sentence the same day the State filed their objection to it (Jan 23, 2009).

The Defense Amended their Original Witness List (original dated Nov 20, 2008), on Jan 23, 2009, and added some witness names, and left out the sentence about incorporating the State Witness List by reference.

http://media.myfoxorlando.com/photo...ion_to_Strike_Defense_Witness_List_Page_1.htm

State of Florida's Motion to Strike Defense Witness List
January 23, 2009

Not to cast any doubt in the wisdom of HHJBP but it's going to be very difficult for one pathologist to use the work product of another. And it will be very easy for the state to tear him apart on cross.
I would expect the departing pathologist De Spitz came to the conclusion that the death was a homicide and that the absence of defensive breaks or contusions visible on the bones, the murder was commited by someone known and trusted by the victim.

In the May 6, 2010, JAC Budget Hearing, JB told Judge P. that the Defense had (2) forensic pathologists, but only (1) would be testifying. JB said travel fees would only apply to this one. JB asked the Judge to pay for (2) pathologists, but Judge P. said NO - only pay for the (1) who will be testifying in the case.

Ashton told the Judge that the Defense had already hired an in-state pathologist, and asked if JB was asking for JAC payment to the in-state one, or the out-of-state one? JB said the out-of-state one, and Judge P. asked why.

JB said that Dr. Spitz (in Michigan) did Caylee's autopsy on Dec. 24th (after Dr. Jan G. did the initial autopsy), then her remains were cremated, so that an expert could not conduct a third autopsy.
JAC rep said that an IN-state pathologist could review the reports of Dr. Spitz.
JB said the Defense has not hired an IN-state pathologist to be on the team.
Judge P. said that one pathologist can testify to an autopsy which they did not do, and granted the request for JAC to pay for one out-of-state forensic pathologist. (Dr. Scott Fairgrieve in Canada is on the Defense Witness List).

JB never made it clear why he did not hire Dr. Spitz who actually did the autopsy - but, as has been opined, this pathologist probably did not come up with the conclusion that the Defense wanted. Or, possibly Dr. Spitz was a "liability" because of his previous testimony in the Phil Spector trial? IMO

There is no guarantee that Dr. Fairgrieve will come to conclusions that are favorable to the Defendant, either. Nor any of the other Defense experts who will examine the evidence next week.
It will be interesting to see how many more Defense experts are NOT called to testify!
Just because an expert is listed on the Defense Witness List, it is no guarantee any of them will be called to testify in the actual murder trial.

Dr. Werner Spitz was a Defense expert in the Phil Spector trial, and apparently flipped out when asked how much he was being paid. (could explain why JB did not want to hire Dr. Spitz for the Anthony murder trial?)

http://losangelestrials.blogspot.com/2009/02/phil-spector-trial-dr-werner-spitz.html
excerpt:
"Renowned witness, Dr Werner Spitz, was on the stand today and was confronted by DA Alan Jackson regarding how much money he was being paid by Phil Spector. Basically he flipped out on the witness stand, causing Judge Larry Paul Fidler, to ask all parties to remain calm. It was unbelievably scary! "

Weird. I work with half of these people. I wasn't aware we were involved in this case. Although, I don't work in that division, so I guess I wouldn't really know.

Backing up KaRN's aptly put statement, we as the onlookers have absolutely no idea just what "work product" may have been generated by Dr. Spitz! IIRC, at one point in the discussions (I'm being generous with my descriptive terminology here) between Nancy Grace and Drs. Henry Lee & Lawrence Kobilinsky, neither were speaking in the affirmative that investigative defense samples were procured during the second autopsy, only that it was completed within a judicious time frame to release the remains to the family. (All of which was a crock of bovine excrement as the second post was performed AT THE FUNERAL HOME!, where else were the remains going except to languish within the (channeling NG here!) CARDBOARD BOX, unsecured on a basement shelf!). Dr. Spitz was in and out of Fla within a day, home for Christmas with the family so to speak, there was no extensive defense team communication under the orange blossoms.

It will be tricky for the defense team to dance around the "Dr. Spitz did the post but he's not testifying here" issue, after all, it's NOT like Scott Fairgrieve is a board certified forensic/anatomical/clinical pathologist (M.D.) who's stepping in for a sick, missing,vacationing, incapacitated or deceased colleague! Yes, the anatomical remains of Caylee were skeletonized bone tissue BUT the second autopsy was performed to the best of our knowledge (BANK ON IT!) by a board certified PATHOLOGIST while the original investigation was performed under the collegial approach in the search for truth leaving, egos tucked neatly under the door mat and at least in my facility, next to the formal titles until we all sign the reams of paperwork~
On another note of the same tune, anybody else find it interesting that Dr. Scott Fairgrieve is known as a "testifier for the Crown in CDN but for the defense in USA."? http://www.forensicosteolab.laurentian.ca/Dr._S._Fairgrieve.html

Ya gotta love irony....he's following in the footsteps of many before him on the defense team~

Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post

Michael N. Burnett - Oak Ridge Lab - on State Witness list since Dec. 3, 2008
David C. Glasgow - Oak Ridge Lab - on State Witness list since Dec. 3, 2008
Madhavi Z. Martin - Oak Ridge Lab - on State Witness list since Jan 23, 2009
Mark Wise - Oak Ridge Lab - on State Witness list since Dec 3, 2008

Arpad Alexander Vass - Oak Ridge Lab - on State Witness list since Dec 3, 2008

Weird. I work with half of these people. I wasn't aware we were involved in this case. Although, I don't work in that division, so I guess I wouldn't really know.

Which people? The Oak Ridge Lab people?
The searchers?
Cindy's co-workers at Gentiva?

ETA: I noticed your location is Knoxville, TN ... so I guess that means the answer is Oak Ridge Lab people.....

Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post

Which people? The Oak Ridge Lab people?
The searchers?
Cindy's co-workers at Gentiva?

kogeliz, whichever answer is true you will want to check in with Tricia here at WS before continuing. We look forward to your input but want to protect you and those around you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back