2011.06.06 TRIAL Day Eleven (Afternoon Session)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if the DT is still disputing the fact that there was a body in the trunk? I'm just wondering if all of Dr. Vass' testimony doesn't matter because the DT is going to say, "Yes, she died on the 16th, and as part of the lies and cover up for the accident, at one point ICA & GA had the body in the trunk."

all the inorganic compounds found were elevated like in human decomp

All of the inorganic compounds that you would expect to find elevated in human decomp were found elevated in the ICA car samples.

#caseyanthonytrial Juror six making note of Vass opinion source of odor was human decomposition
by bobkealing via twitter at 1:47 PM

YES! They eliminated "squirrel" as a potential source of the odor.

Seriously? Would love to see that. Amazing that they can diffentiate the decompositional odour between two different mammals.

What was the basis that he said he differentiated between the two?

Buteric acid a product of early human decomp, but not common in environment outide of human decomp.

Check.

It was a leading question (I don't know the grounds of the objection though).

I have just switched on to this. Are the jury even following this? The prosecution is lucky that they have 3 medical/nursing professionals on the Jury. Seems highly technical, especially for someone who would not be scientifically minded.

I'm certainly not technically or scientifically minded - far from it - and I'm getting it, for the most part. Dr. Vass has a way of explaining difficult concepts even to the lay person, IMO.

I have just switched on to this. Are the jury even following this? The prosecution is lucky that they have 3 medical/nursing professionals on the Jury. Seems highly technical, especially for someone who would not be scientifically minded.

Dr Vass has the ability to transfer his vast knowledge to the jury in laymen's terms, I'm sure the jurors love him. He is not only a genius but he has an infectious and endearing personality.

Butyric acid - you don't see a lot of this in environmental samples. It is an EARLY decomposition compound. Found in the spare tire well cover scrapings.

[sleuths - this is great for the time line]

as SOTS said Vass doing a great job on pre-thwartation, but I think JA is doing a fabulous job posing his question to facilitate this.

found every single one of the fatty acids in the paper towel that are associated with adipocere

Animal decomp has a different odor than human decomp. Animal decomp is muskier.

Is there anything about the adipocere found that would restrict it to human decomposition?

Vass: not really, no.

Dr. Vass is very personable and dummies down his testimony so the average scientific layperson like myself can easily understand it, so yes, the jury is following and some are taking notes.

The morning was difficult because Baez objected continually, until HHJP called two sidebars and finally gave the lawyers (read Baez) some homework to do at lunch to read up.

Seriously? Would love to see that. Amazing that they can diffentiate the decompositional odour between two different mammals.

What was the basis that he said he differentiated between the two?

The chemicals they emit as an odor.

HLN: ' jurors are taking notes during this testimony'

Continued direct examination of Dr. Arpad Vass by JA.

Left off at Exhibit 126 - paper towels sent to him. Chemical extraction in methynol of the stained and unstained sections and ran it through the GCMS. The instrumental analysis revealed a number of fatty acids present on the towels. These fatty acids make up adoposere (sp) or grave wax - the byproduct of the breakdown of fat and is associated with decomp.

He also analyzed the carbon filter traps to confirm that the carpet sample was the point source of the odor. They also did an air sample of the garbage that had been reported to have been in the trunk. They confirmed that the carpet WAS the point source of the odor. It was a combination of chemical compounds. They also looked at the other parts of the car, the garage, etc. The same group of compounds in the carpet was not found in the trash or the garage air.

Rose has one set of chemicals, trash has another set. The total combination of the source is what makes it unique. In the car trunk sample there were 51 different compounds. 41 were related to human decomp. Of those 41, there was overlap with gasoline. They did not know if the gas odors came from gas or decomp, so they eliminated those, leaving 24 compounds. They then began looking at control samples and eliminating compounds found in the control car, squirrel, pizza, garage. This left approximately 16 compounds. 7 of these are considered significant - meaning in the 2008 paper there are 30 compounds considered relevant to decomp. Of the 500 found, they paired it down to 30 - looking at the longevity of the compound, normally found in environment, how unusual.

In the trunk of the car, they found essentially 13 of the 30 - eliminating some due to the gas, left 7.

The gas compounds were eliminated because they did not know whether the source was from gas in the trunk or decomp.

Objection by JB - overruled.

30 compounds - as in 2008 paper - come from different stages of decomp - what they consider the most relevant compounds either in early or late. Decomposition is cyclic due to different degradation rates of elements. It is highly unlikely that at any one point in decomp you would find all 30 compounds.

7 compounds left - these were found to be in the list of 30 compounds that they found to be most relevant to human decomposition.

He does not think there is a specific chemical odor signature for human decomp.

He considers the odor in the car consistent with human decomp.

Regarding scraping from tire well, the acetic acid is a product of decomp - just not one of the 30. It is also found in many things - vinegar.

Regarding spare tire cover - all the inorganic compounds of decomp were indeed elevated, but these elements can be found in other things.

Regarding carpet extraction - beuteric acid is not normally seen in environmental samples, but very consisent in decomp. It is usually metabolized by micro organisms and therefore not normally seen in the environmental samples.

Taking all of the instrumental examinations and adding to that his olfactory observation of the carpet smell, it is his opinion that there was a decomposing body in the trunk of the car at some point. He can find NO OTHER PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION.

End of direct exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member