2011.08.05 Hearing on Casey's probation

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA this determination is one DOC has to make and would like to add that JP has no jurisdiction over DOC and it's policies ... the sentence comes from the court and DOC applies that sentence and does the calculations from what I understand ...

I can't understand how the sentences were NOT applied consecutively with the first felony sentence ... shouldn't DOC have caught this when they did their calculation ? Aren't THEY the ones that are supposed to make sure the courts' orders are followed ? Jeeze ...

I just hope, since KC/DT are appealing the lying convictions that this will blow up in their collective smugly grinning faces and that the calculation will be revisited.

In order to sentence an offender you have to have a trial first. Baez was delaying and delaying and delaying the trial on the check charges trying to get that put off until after the murder trial.

That is not the fault of the State. That is Baez's fault and that of Casey for agreeing to that defense.

You can't sentence a person to straight probation if they have sat in jail for a year. Instead you give them time served. She couldn't stay out on bond. So the reason Casey got a harsh sentence is because they refused to allow the state to go to speedy trial with the check counts.

I respectfully disagree. I have seen cases where an inmate had sat 1 yr without adjudication while the attorneys were delaying. The final result was an additional 4 yrs followed by a probationary period. In the penetentary. Here in Fl if you get more than 364 days you are going to the big house.

I would think that Judge Perry could keep Casey's address secret (off of the DOC website), were she to fulfill her probation obligation. This should help to alleviate concerns for her safety.

I would think that Judge Perry could keep Casey's address secret (off of the DOC website), were she to fulfill her probation obligation. This should help to alleviate concerns for her safety.

Since he could temporary keep the jurors names under wraps, I assume he could do the same in this case.

I have to disagree that probation is a sentence even though most people view it as such. It's a transitional period to get the felon back into society, help them find a job and make sure they are abiding by their probationary requirements. JP said this in court today. Once they've completed their probation they are free to live their life as they chose. It's only when they mess up on probation that they go back to jail to serve their full sentence. So this could help her get back into society and put her into a job. Nothing negative about it except it could be messing up big plans to make some money off of KC's crime. It also tells me defense may feel she could not do a year without getting herself into trouble. jmo

I agree because that is what I heard JP say today, but it 'sounded' like a sentence the way JS said it because he was withheld adjudication on 7 charges and ordered probation upon release. We understand that she wasn't ordered probation on her lying to LE charges because she was given the max sentence by JP. It's all very confusing.

Here's my problem. EVERY TIME someone makes a post to "forget KC and leave it alone" or "if we still talk about her then she is still important" do they forget that they are making a post on the same thread about KC and they are also creating (for a lack of a better word) the problem themselves?!? I personally am tired of reading posts telling those of us that are still here reading and worrying about justice for Caylee to just get over it when it is rather obvious that those doing those types of posts have not gotten over it themselves or they would NOT be on this thread in this forum reading about this person to see that the rest of us need to "get over it".

Now, with that I will take myself to a time out before I really say exactly what is on my mind! Sorry mods, and I do understand if this gets me a TO but I felt that finally someone needed to address "those types" of posts.

Frankly, my interest now is more into the mechanics of the FLA justice system and not KC. Too many other characters that are must more interesting than that boring felon. I am sure other posters feel the same way.
It is like legalese 1.01

If you research through other cases of check fraud and forgery you will find that many, if not MOST, first time offenders get NO JAIL TIME at all for the same charges as CA faced. They are put on diversion programs, limited probation terms, etc. So in essence, she WAS treated differently from other offenders....she was sentenced much more harshly than an "average" person would have been.

jmo
not in my mind! She had THIRTEEN charges. The judge adjucated SEVEN of them in for a successful probation. IOW, if she violated, the other seven would be charged.

She got off easy. She was in jail for something else, so it didn't even ruffle a feather on the charges. Technically, she did no time...but the judge gave her 444 days....very generous since she would have been in jail regardless.

This DT keeps kicking a gift horse in the mouth...:banghead:

Well if she did serve probation in jail then she definitely violated the term of it that requires her to not have any contact with convicted felon by maintaining an ongoing relationship with Robyn Adams. The letters and correspondence between the two are public record. Furthermore, I guess the monthly fees, employment obligation, drug testing and monthly supervision were all waived for her "probation".

To say she served is IMO ridiculous.

They're using the "Safety" issue as an excuse. I say, "So What?" All kinds of people are in jeopardy for defending and prosecuting every day of the week. I can't even tell you how much I can't stand mason and baez. They are a disgrace to the profession.

The public buys into this carp. We get it from the anthony family and the DT. They want to keep her worth up so there is money to be had. This system needs renovation. I was just as mad when Paris and lindsy were incarcerated. They should have been thrown in a cell just like anyone else. Why the special treatment? This nation is star-struck and the so-called stars are running our legal system. Forget all this special tx. Judge Perry should just speak out rule and not let these a-holes steer you.

While most offenders in jail look forward to probation (it's freedom and that's always appealing), violation of probation/parole is the main reason they are sent back to jail/prison. Behaving while in jail is easy for most inmates, the real challenge comes when some freedom is added to the mix. Probation in jail isn't much of a test.

I have worked for DOC for years and I have never heard of serving probation in jail.

Well if she did serve probation in jail then she definitely violated the term of it that requires her to not have any contact with convicted felon by maintaining an ongoing relationship with Robyn Adams. The letters and correspondence between the two are public record. Furthermore, I guess the monthly fees, employment obligation, drug testing and monthly supervision were all waived for her "probation".

To say she served is IMO ridiculous.

just to be clear/fair here, (i have posted this before but it bears repeating) weren't the letters to RA sent in 2009 before the probation?

I have worked for DOC for years and I have never heard of serving probation in jail.

I just got in Long day...What is going on? she was released. What probation?

Is this a case of Judge remorse? Jury remorse? :waitasec:
I will back track here and see if I can catch up.

In order to sentence an offender you have to have a trial first. Baez was delaying and delaying and delaying the trial on the check charges trying to get that put off until after the murder trial.

That is not the fault of the State. That is Baez's fault and that of Casey for agreeing to that defense.

You can't sentence a person to straight probation if they have sat in jail for a year. Instead you give them time served. She couldn't stay out on bond. So the reason Casey got a harsh sentence is because they refused to allow the state to go to speedy trial with the check counts.

Part of me wishes that she had postponed the check fraud charges til after the trial. At least she would have had to answer to the check charges now. And just maybe she would have had her *advertiser censored* handed to her as other folks she had stolen from came forward en mass.

TC, Robin

While most offenders in jail look forward to probation (it's freedom and that's always appealing), violation of probation/parole is the main reason they are sent back to jail/prison. Behaving while in jail is easy for most inmates, the real challenge comes when some freedom is added to the mix. Probation in jail isn't much of a test.

I noticed at one point HH said "probation,if you can even call it that" in reference to Casey serving it in jail . I think he agrees that she hasn't really done what was required,but she was given that dang letter that said she was through. His decision will be interesting.

Especially in protective custody....a cush level and don't let those THs tell you anything else. For this reason alone, the probation in jail should never have been considered. I still don't think it was...I want to see that paper.

administrative probation? I think perhaps that possible could be considered somehow, someway if they knew the person was a lifer..it is a moot point but Government messes up all the time.

IMO, probation would be the most effective form of therapy that Casey could receive at this time. For once she would be held accountable. She would be made to perform as an adult (in a law abiding manner) with stiff consequences should she fail. She NEEDS probation, it would be the humane thing for Judge Perry to do.

Just to make sure everyone gets a chance to see this, I will quote an earlier post:

She should be glad she only got probation and time served on the 13 felonies. But, she isn't. They are all so self-righteous and indignant that they can't see when they are ahead and go with the sentence that most people would be doing a happy dance over.

I noticed at one point HH said "probation,if you can even call it that" in reference to Casey serving it in jail . I think he agrees that she hasn't really done what was required,but she was given that dang letter that said she was through. His decision will be interesting.

That letter means nothing. Funny baez is the one that had it. I wonder what else they are holding. I bet the letter was generated by a computer. You would think somewhere along the way, some government worker would have questioned it. But alas, I am giving too much credit to public employees.

you would be shocked at some of the carp in the system. So many people with ZERO accountability running these places.

just to be clear/fair here, (i have posted this before but it bears repeating) weren't the letters to RA sent in 2009 before the probation?

Fair ? If life was fair Casey would be sweatin' it out on death row,IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member