Ireland - 3 bodies found, Newry, Northern Ireland, 7 March 2019

HayLouise

Law Student
Reaction score
Newry: Murder inquiry after deaths of man, woman and girl

3F043917-522C-4276-97FB-DD88F848DB90.jpeg

Police investigating three deaths in Newry, County Down, have begun a murder inquiry but are "not currently seeking anyone else" in the investigation.

The bodies of a man, a woman and a teenage girl were found when officers "forced entry" to a flat in the city.

Det Supt Jason Murphy said police went to the flat after a relative reported concerns that they had not been in contact with a family member for days.

He added that police did not yet know how the three people died.

The bodies were discovered in the flat in Glin Ree Court off Downshire Road at about 11:00 GMT on Thursday.

Mr Murphy told reporters the girl was aged about 15, the woman was aged about 37 and the man was about 38.

They have not yet been formally identified and their nationalities have not been confirmed.

34EB7E1E-E788-4921-A75F-A750E822D301.jpeg

Mr Murphy said the investigation was still at a very early stage and police "have no defined cause of death for those individuals".

However, he said he was satisfied to start a murder inquiry.

"At this stage, I don't believe that anybody else was involved in the deaths of those three individuals," he said.

"I am not currently seeking anyone else in connection with their deaths."

Speaking earlier, SDLP MLA Justin McNulty told BBC News NI: "A dark cloud is hanging over this area today and it's really sad.

"Police did tell me that the circumstances were suspicious and above that I don't know any more information.

"Regardless of what the circumstances are, it's really shocking news."

Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) MLA William Irwin: "This is an awful tragedy and I understand police have commenced investigations into this very concerning discovery."

Sinn Féin councillor Charlie Casey said the community in the area was in shock.

"I would encourage anyone with information on this incident to bring it forward to the PSNI," he added.

Murder inquiry after three deaths in flat

Terrible news breaking.

This community is in shock and a dark cloud hangs over Newry this afternoon.

It’s my understanding three people have lost their lives. Police are describing those deaths as suspicious.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased.

5CD110DB-01E7-46A4-B76C-F78C14FFED51.jpeg

JUSTIN MCNULTY on Twitter

0440B3FC-87A7-4EDD-AF15-40E773CA824F.png

Detectives are investigating the deaths of three people at a flat in Glin Ree Court in Newry.

Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy said: “The bodies of an adult male, an adult female and a teenage girl were discovered at around 11am this morning, Thursday 7 March.

The circumstances of the deaths will now be subject to investigation and post mortem examinations will take place in due course.

At this stage it would not be appropriate to elaborate further on the circumstances as our enquiries at an extremely early stage.”

[07/03/19] Detectives investigate deaths of three people in Newry

Detectives are investigating after the bodies of three people were discovered at a flat in Glin Ree Court, Newry. The bodies of a male and two females were found at around 11am this morning.

PSNI on Twitter

Detectives can confirm that they are not currently seeking anyone else in connection with the deaths of three people at a flat in Glin Ree Court, Newry. Our investigation is ongoing at present and our thoughts at this time are very much with the loved ones of those who have died.

PSNI on Twitter

Detectives have confirmed that they are not currently seeking anyone else in connection with the deaths of three people in Newry.

[07/03/19] Newry deaths update

PSNI on Twitter

Murder investigation underway following deaths of three people in Newry.

Detectives have confirmed they are not currently seeking anyone else in connection with the deaths of man (38), woman (37) and 15 year old girl whose bodies were found at a flat in Glin Ree Court earlier.

PSNI on Twitter

Murder investigation underway following deaths of three people in Newry - man, woman, 15 year old girl. Police “not seeking anyone else.” Detective Superintendent Jason Murphy not confirming if murder-suicide ...

Q Radio News on Twitter

(Video at link)

Police in #newry are investigating after the suspicious deaths of a man,woman and teenage girl. Their bodies were discovered at 11am at this apartment block.Locals say they're shocked and a 'dark cloud hangs over the town'. More on @VirginMediaNews at 5.30

9D1CB58C-009B-459E-A933-28421F8924F5.jpeg

Paul Quinn on Twitter

Police in #newry have launched a murder investigation following the grim discovery of a 15 year old girl, 37 year old woman & a 38 year old man in a flat. The cause of death is unknown. More on @VirginMediaNews at 7.30

Paul Quinn on Twitter

OK if I speculate here? . Thoughts with family. Suicide and murder? What a tragedy, I wonder if we will ever know the reason.
Yeah it seems to be pointing at murder / suicide - all so very sad and getting to be a common theme

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back