4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #77

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, lots of good discussion about BK losing his TA position, how nonchalant vs unusual it was, and how interpersonal or inter-academic interactions (ha - inter cubed!) may have played into it.

From the outside looking in, having had TAs and assisted professors, I would have to say, from my own experience in the trenches, BK sounds like one of those TAs that would not last long, and whom everyone would not only avoid at all costs, but may be extremely frustrated, intimidated, and/or angered by his unprofessionalism in his workplace.

And everyone would know he would be easier to get rid of during the 1st semester or quarter on board while he was still proving himself and was in somewhat of a 'probationary period', similar to a lot of jobs that have that written into the hiring agreement -- usually within 3 months, everyone regroups and checks in on how it's going and whether you're a keeper or they're going to cut you loose.

I realize the TA position was not a job job, but it was his workplace and there were monetary rewards associated with it, e.g., greatly reduced tuition/housing, if not a stipend. Those rewards/stipends are to show appreciation from the professor, department, and university for a "job well done" in assisting them in accomplishing their mission of teaching their enrolled students and upholding a level of academic excellence.

So I'm not surprised at all that they fired him in December at the end of his 1st semester. He sounds like he was a nightmare, they tried to work with him on an improvement plan, and he just couldn't or wouldn't improve on his professionalism, and so they cut him loose as quick as they could since they didn't owe him anything contractually.

Even if they didn't fire him in the 1st semester, I think, based on my experiences, he would have eventually been "voted off the island" in other ways (e.g., through seriously under-enrolled courses he was a TA for with dozens of students dropping out of an otherwise very popular professor's courses and trying to add courses being taught/TA'd by someone else), or he would have been given "bad marks" when it came to "x" number of complaints being filed against him that would be reflected in some fashion on any student reviews or performance reviews conducted.

Again, in my experience, everyone enrolled in an academic program who is investing their time, energy, and money in working towards obtaining a degree and is expecting to be able to do so in a stimulating, pleasant, supportive, and congenial collegiate environment 'as advertised' by most major universities, would avoid him and the courses he was TAing like the plague in any of the subsequent semesters he may have stayed on thereafter.

I think it must have been just awful for all the folks involved in his program, never heard of anything like it.

All JME/JMO
I found it interesting as I was reading your post (at least to me. lol) that while you were discussing his professional/work side... I was thinking about the very things you were pointing out, only in his personal day-to-day life.

i.e. - whom everyone would avoid at all costs (due to his personality, IMO), cut him loose (perhaps people didn't want him around/didn't fit in), voted off the island (not many wanted to be his friend), and avoid him like the plague (his neighbors did a bit of that).

I just found that interesting.

All MOO

Another court filing

Is this fairly standard?
I would say it isn't unexpected. This is a small District Attorney office. And this is a major case. He has already been provided additional funding, but now needs extra hands. Often a State AG office just gives the help, but maybe in this case the DA is wanting these attorneys to actually appear and argue part of the case. So this may have more to do with just administrative processes in Idaho that have to be followed. But the DA not only has to prepare this case, but also maintain his normal case load.

It wasn't clear to me whether the Brady Giglio situation pertained to this case or another one. But your speculation about an officer not filing her interview is interesting. That could explain why it is the PI who discovered the information.

I hope LE did not exclude information that casts serious doubt on BK's guilt. That's the kind of thing that makes all LE look bad and has landed many an innocent person in prison.
LE cannot exclude information that casts doubt on anyone's guilt according to the Supreme Court.

Because prosecutors have an affirmative duty to seek out exculpatory evidence, law enforcement has a duty to collect it and turn it over to the prosecutor.

The Brady doctrine is a pretrial discovery rule that was established by the United States Supreme Court in Brady v. Maryland (1963). The rule requires that the prosecution must turn over all exculpatory evidence to the defendant in a criminal case. Exculpatory evidence is evidence that might exonerate the defendant.

I would say it isn't unexpected. This is a small District Attorney office. And this is a major case. He has already been provided additional funding, but now needs extra hands. Often a State AG office just gives the help, but maybe in this case the DA is wanting these attorneys to actually appear and argue part of the case. So this may have more to do with just administrative processes in Idaho that have to be followed. But the DA not only has to prepare this case, but also maintain his normal case load.
The Vallow prelim has almost 50 witnesses slated. I can see how Latah County might need help.

It seems late in the game. Has a grand jury been ruled out? tia
The DA has elected to proceed by information and Grand Jury, which is normal. I don't think its all that late. he has probably been receiving assistance all along, but now needs these guys officially approved to allow them to appear in court for upcoming motions hearings and the preliminary hearing and beyond.

Because it could be his catalyst for murder. Final straw.

Jury will want to know what the heck was happening in his life in October and November 2022.

Nothing good was happening, his life was going down hill, everything he worked for he was starting to loose.

From a behavioral standpoint, that's a very weak argument. If he killed his bosses? Maybe. If he went on a shooting spree to kill people at WSU? Maybe. But randomly targeting 4 people not even affiliated with WSU because he got in trouble at work (he hadn't lost his job by Nov 13th) is weak sauce, IMO.

MOO.

From a behavioral standpoint, that's a very weak argument. If he killed his bosses? Maybe. If he went on a shooting spree to kill people at WSU? Maybe. But randomly targeting 4 people not even affiliated with WSU because he got in trouble at work (he hadn't lost his job by Nov 13th) is weak sauce, IMO.

MOO.
I guess I take your point. However, I don't think it's insignificant that BK was struggling with his TA job and PhD life more generally -- even if his poor performance wasn't a trigger event, or a catalyst for murder, it still provides valuable insight into his thought process and life leading up to the crime. I am of the mind that his issues with his job and professional behavior, what little evidence we have of it anyway, should certainly play some role in how we understand him as a suspect.

When the conversation about his TA job and termination comes up, I can't help but think back to prior discussions and the fact that he may have been visiting the King road residence as early as June or July 2022 (per the PCA). Whatever reason he was visiting the residence, it's possible that what began as stalking or watching the home / victims at a distance [if that's what he was doing] was initially unrelated to his [tenuous] position at WSU, which he had yet to officially begin.

I guess I take your point. However, I don't think it's insignificant that BK was struggling with his TA job and PhD life more generally -- even if his poor performance wasn't a trigger event, or a catalyst for murder, it still provides valuable insight into his thought process and life leading up to the crime. I am of the mind that his issues with his job and professional behavior, what little evidence we have of it anyway, should certainly play some role in how we understand him as a suspect.

Why wouldn't it be insignificant though? There hasn't been any evidence at all that it's related. There's no connection (that we know of) between the victims and his trouble at work. The only way anyone could make any kind of connection is to suggest the trial should be a larger biosketch of his entire life and IMO, without a much more clear line between his work troubles and the murders, I'm not even sure it would be allowed in court.

If he became violent at work, if he made threats at work, if that rumor in MSM about him possibly breaking into a colleague's house is true, then I could see it. But students not liking him and him having a non-physical altercation with his boss (depending on the topic) are irrelevant to these murders, IMO.

When the conversation about his TA job and termination comes up, I can't help but think back to prior discussions and the fact that he may have been visiting the King road residence as early as June or July 2022 (per the PCA). Whatever reason he was visiting the residence, it's possible that what began as stalking or watching the home / victims at a distance [if that's what he was doing] was initially unrelated to his [tenuous] position at WSU, which he had yet to officially begin.

I'm not sure what you mean here. It may have been initially unrelated to his position, but as far as we know, it was never related (not just initially). If he was stalking the girls, there was no connection to his job, as far as I know. He also hadn't yet been terminated at the time of the murders. In fact, he'd go on to work as a TA for over a month longer, so that doesn't play a role in the murders, IMO.

I'm sorry you took that as a personal attack. It wasn't meant that way. But I was reacting to your statement:

" It just seems like an extreme measure, the possibility of jail time/fines considering BF is not only a witness but a victim. JMO.

BBM ah, the justice system... a well oiled machine (jk & moo)."

You are poking at the system, are you not? You insinuate that it is improper for the Defense to threaten jail/fines with its subpoena. But that is simply what the law says. It is BF that has lead to this point. That is literally the ONLY path the defense has to take.
NBD I fully understand your reaction but you did directly ask me. So yes, I did take it personally but not as an attack per se. It's not important.

No, I completely did not insinuate that. I believe that defense is well within their right and it is written in the law. BF and her attorney are also within their right to follow up each process accordingly in order to protect and defend their client.

(fwiw my questions as to BFs rights or level of "exemption" from attending/testifying is from the perspective of viewing BF as a potentially traumatized victim moreso than a witness however I also understand that there are standards which have to be met in order to prove that a witness has been so severely affected that they are unable to testify in person for whatever variety of reasons. I do not believe BF would meet those standards whatever they are, FWIW JMO)

But yes, I admit I did poke fun at the fact that the justice system is far from "well oiled".

I know there are pages and pages on him losing his job. Can you explain why this is relevant?
I can't speak for OP and why their 'pages and pages' of posts on aspects of BK losing his job seem relevant to this case to them.

IMO, it's relevant as follows:

"His reputation came to precede him" last Fall at WSU rather quickly, through him behaving unprofessionally on campus, and for being condescending towards his students and allegedly misogynistic towards his female students he was assistant teaching, and for getting into "altercations" with the professor he was assisting.

As far as has been reported in MSM by people who knew him, BK only struggled in this way on campus and in his role as a TA.

That is why it's interesting and a point of discussion that his behavior was so "out of control" when he was a TA, IMO, that he got fired for it, and especially the part which included for lack of a better term a "negative or demeaning attitude" towards the young women who were students he assistant-taught.

And because this was perhaps an "escalation" of his poor treatment of young women who were students -- AFAIK, he didn't act like this at his 2 previous colleges where he earned degrees -- once he was in a "position of authority" as a TA, and not just a coed amongst coeds.

And that it all occurred concurrently with his alleged stalking of 1-3 of the young women who were students on a nearby campus that he then allegedly murdered that same semester.

That is relevant, IMO, to last Fall and his alleged poor treatment of young women who were "under him" whom he apparently lashed out at verbally and graded harshly just because they were women.

And it seems like it could also be relevant that he was losing his ability to control his misogynistic behavior in the outside world and comport himself in a way that fit within societal, cultural, and/or academic norms within his new-to-him environment last Fall.

It's indicative of hatred he had towards young college-aged women, IMO.

At the same time he was allegedly stalking or spying on and planning to assault and/or stab 3 young college-aged women to death (and one of their boyfriends who was there the night he acted on his urge), all while in a rage, IMO.

He even allegedly said the murders looked to be "a crime of passion" to his neighbor, and, uh, I guess he would know what he was talkin' about:

Bryan Kohberger's neighbor says the murder suspect once told him the Idaho killings seemed like a 'crime of passion'

MOO

The DA has elected to proceed by information and Grand Jury, which is normal. I don't think its all that late. he has probably been receiving assistance all along, but now needs these guys officially approved to allow them to appear in court for upcoming motions hearings and the preliminary hearing and beyond.

The DA has elected to proceed by information and Grand Jury? Can you say a little more about that. Has there been news of Grand Jury involvement? That's surprising to me.

IMO. I thought this was proceeding via PCA and Preliminary Hearing. Grand Jury should be in the rear view mirror. Does Idaho typically use Grand Juries in criminal matters of this type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname