4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, 2022 #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, if it's BK's blood, the prosecution won't even go there. Big waste of time, IMO.
We don't know if the prosecution will go there and no, it is not a waste of time if the blood expert thinks it is necessary to inform the jury.

The amount of blood could be relevant. Blood soaking a mattress pad or pillow is different from a superficial cut. My impression is this is not a tiny bit of blood from a superficial cut.

I saw a trial where the prosecution was very clear on whose blood was found. They didn't leave out the facts. A suspect's blood usually is mentioned.

2 Cents

Last edited:
He does seem to throw in some facts: for example the info about the DNA / TX. But there seems to be a whole lot of creative writing in all his articles. The first one clearly got a few things wrong; the second wasn't worth reading; and I opted against reading the third. I did use an alternate email account so I could read this one. But I sure won't be buying his book when it comes out.

How do you know he knows anything about DNA? What's his source for the size of the sample? I think it's copypasta from a general article on how DNA samples are sometimes processed.

I find it very hard to believe that the Idaho Lab leaked this information to Howard Blum. And since he is an entertainment/ general interest reporter, I find it hard to believe he knows exactly what he's talking about, with DNA. He definitely wants you to read his multi-part (neverending?) series of blogs on this case.

But I believe he's wrong about the DNA or is, actually, violating the gag order. IMO. I need to read his next installment, but I don't have a good feeling about this blog.

IMO

Does a jury always need a large amount of physical evidence like blood, hair, fibers so on, that connects the defendant to a crime in order to convict?
No.

Defendants can get convicted from footprints and shell casings, purchases they made prior to a crime, financial transactions, photos from their phones, text messages, (see Vallow trial) screenshots on their computers, stalking done before a crime, lying to police after a crime and getting people to lie to the Grand Jury, wire tapped conversations, witnesses and ihformants, incriminating statements made, making threats, digital evidence is big, financial gain like big life insurance policies, custody and divorce motives, and so on...ETC....

Adding up evidence together, totality of evidence. Usually not just one smoking gun, although one piece of evidence can get a conviction. Alex Murdaugh's son's phone caught Alex's voice at the crime scene, this was the smoking gun.

Another smoking gun:
The Ahmaud Arbery murder case. There was a phone video recording of him being shot, this got the 3 defendants convicted.

The Kohberger case is turning into a technical case full of a wide variety of digital evidence and forensic DNA evidence. Alot of experts likely.

Last edited:
Sure. That's the hope of every defense attorney, that they can create doubt with a mountain of molehills.
realistically, as a murderer he made some mistakes, not an awful lot of mistakes but some serious enough to put him on radar.
His DNA on the button of the sheath being the most serious.

BUT, lets look at how adept he was in his task too.
Let's look at his education and training, his prior exposure to the elements of criminology, basically the entire internet of resources.

they allegedly did not find his VANS and the Van footprint was described as 'light'

this suggests to me that he may have placed plastic bags over his shoes, perhaps more than one bag for each length of his journey to his vehicle and a completely different pair of plastic bags for his drive to wherever he went on his way home, possibly somewhere to stash or destroy all evidence of his night's handiwork.

every description of him I heard described him as pedantic.

i can imagine him planning on the destruction of evidence point by point.
well in advance of his macabre mass murder.
I'm not remotely surprised that no victim blood was found in his apartment.

He'd also be pretty well versed in the use of chemicals for the purpose of destroying evidence and he did actually have an awful lot of time.

JMO

IMO, if it's BK's blood, the prosecution won't even go there. Big waste of time, IMO.
IMO, if it's BK's blood AND LE documented 'recent' wounds on BK's person upon examining him when he was arrested AND they were consistent with self injury from wielding a knife or sharp edged blade that are commonly sustained from stabbing people in the way LE has said the victims were stabbed to death, the prosecution will go there.

We don't know if the prosecution will go there and no, it is not a waste of time if the blood expert thinks it is necessary to inform the jury.

That's why I said it was my opinion. Just as we don't know what the prosecution will do, we also don't know what the jury will or won't believe/understand. All we're doing is giving opinions based on what we know.

The amount of blood could be relevant. Blood soaking a mattress pad or pillow is different from a superficial cut. My impression is this is not a tiny bit of blood from a superficial cut.

I'm curious what your impression is based on? The language in the document doesn't indicate to me that it's more than a bit, IMO.

Does a jury always need a large amount of physical evidence like blood, hair, fibers so on, that connects the defendant to a crime in order to convict?

I mean, juries convict with less, but IMO, to insure a rightful conviction, they need some physical evidence OR a lot of irrefutable circumstantial evidence. I've said from the time the PCA was released that DNA is the strongest evidence in this case. However, IMO, even the DNA isn't strong on its own as the thinking is that it's touch DNA (can't remember if this was confirmed?). If the rumors from Blum are true, it becomes even weaker.

MOO.

IMO, if it's BK's blood AND LE documented 'recent' wounds on BK's person upon examining him when he was arrested AND they were consistent with self injury from wielding a knife or sharp edged blade that are commonly sustained from stabbing people in the way LE has said the victims were stabbed to death, the prosecution will go there.

That's a lot of "ands" with no evidence that any of them are true. No wounds documented on arrest that we're aware of and video in IN doesn't seem to show any in areas that would get on his pillow, IMO.

But it's not a mountain of molehills. There are real holes in the case, from what we know thus far, that the prosecution has to answer. Ignoring them isn't going to help their case. JMO.

In my opinion there is not much in the way of holes and the errors made are minor.
The prosecution looks competent so I trust that in addition to preparing their case, they will anticipate the ways their case can be attacked, and prepare appropriately.

That's why I said it was my opinion. Just as we don't know what the prosecution will do, we also don't know what the jury will or won't believe/understand. All we're doing is giving opinions based on what we know.

I'm curious what your impression is based on? The language in the document doesn't indicate to me that it's more than a bit, IMO.

I read it as the mattress and pillow being stained red, got impression of these huge stains.

So here is what it says about the blood:

Washington State University Police recovered a possibly blood-stained mattress cover.....

...According to the search warrant, the Washington State University Police also seized two cuttings from an uncased pillow with a “reddish/brown stain,”

...... and other evidence including possible blood stains, which were sent to a lab for testing, which could all potenitally link Kohberger to the crime scene.

Doesn't sound like as much blood as I thought.

Last edited:
But it's not a mountain of molehills. There are real holes in the case, from what we know thus far, that the prosecution has to answer. Ignoring them isn't going to help their case. JMO.
When the State presents it's case then I'll see if there are substantive holes in their case. It's too early for me to come to any conclusions. JMO.

Per the PCA and in all of the press releases and conferences IIRC, they first stated 20ll-2013 Hyundai Elantra, and that is a big difference from 2015-2016 imo. I'm not a car expert, but I know we've got one around here somewhere...

LE also had the video in the neighborhood where the car was on video doing the three-point turn, etc., so more than just a fast moving vehicle? (See page 6 of the PCA - multiple videos from the area).

IMO, I think it's less about what you or I or any of us think. I'm looking at this from the defense perspective and seeing an issue I think they can validly raise. I'm not defending BK or side-eyeing LE; I'm just looking at things that I think are questionable, and that is one of them IMO. Where BARD is the totality of the evidence, reasonable doubt can be the chipping away of BARD IMO if that makes sense.
I so apologise for my ignorance, please could you explain what is BARD, I have no clue what it means, I’ve spent ages googling it & cannot figure it out & have trouble understanding part of each of your posts due to the continued use of the word? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther