4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sincere apologies are extended for I only meant for my original reply to your post to be my first statement written.
I concurred to this portion: "...there was a hit to his paternal line" in the database"

Guess I became tired and didn't compose two separate posts, that would've included all of the other stuff, when that's what should have been done.

I agree that it was DNA from the father's side of the family that matches the DNA on the sheath. We may disagree on how LE obtained the match, not w/ a paternity test, but maybe we'll learn for sure, one way or the other, the method used. I'm with CeCe Moore on this one.

"Investigators say the key in this case was a sample of DNA from the crime scene being compared to trash at the Kohberger's Pennsylvania home. They used DNA belonging to Kohberger's father to show a familial link, which led to Kohberger's arrest.

Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore told NewsNation she thinks there's probably more to the story than that, but it's likely investigative genealogy played a role."
How DNA led to the Kohberger arrest
IIRC, The DNA found on the sheath was used with genealogy, and there was a family hit and it correlated to the car registration being Kohberger and they used the DNA from the trash (which turned out to be his fathers) to confirm the connection to him? I will have to trawl through posts to find a link so, JMO and as I said, IIRC and if not correctly, I'm happy to be told.

ETA: Found a link : Genealogists able to identify Bryan Kohberger as Idaho murder suspect within days -WPBF
"Police ran the unknown DNA through the national CODIS DNA database but came up empty because Kohberger had no criminal history.

That’s when sources say police had genetic genealogists upload the samples to a public database such as Family Tree DNA, looking for matching relatives.
Genealogists then built a family tree using birth and death records, census records and other hints until they had a whole tree of that extended family going back generations.

At that point, they move downward from great, great-parents to living people looking to see who is the right age, lives in the area, and could be a possible suspect"

Last edited:
The full length of the knife is over a foot long and the sheath is made of fairly heavy leather.

The sheath is cut from a single piece of leather folded and sewn. The belt goes through the loop between your belt loops.
Oh, man. It's time for me to go to sleep. I thought you were talking about Dickies clothes. But that is some really interesting info on the knife and sheath. Thanks! Sounds very cumbersome to carry around, for sure. Would it make you walk differently when it's looped into the belt? Just thinking about any video footage of the perp. JMO

My sincere apologies are extended for I only meant for my original reply to your post to be my first statement written.
I concurred to this portion: "...there was a hit to his paternal line" in the database"

Guess I became tired and didn't compose two separate posts, that would've included all of the other stuff, when that's what should have been done.

I agree that it was DNA from the father's side of the family that matches the DNA on the sheath. We may disagree on how LE obtained the match, not w/ a paternity test, but maybe we'll learn for sure, one way or the other, the method used. I'm with CeCe Moore on this one.

"Investigators say the key in this case was a sample of DNA from the crime scene being compared to trash at the Kohberger's Pennsylvania home. They used DNA belonging to Kohberger's father to show a familial link, which led to Kohberger's arrest.

Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore told NewsNation she thinks there's probably more to the story than that, but it's likely investigative genealogy played a role."
How DNA led to the Kohberger arrest
Great article @DeDee IMO! CeCe does make this statement in the article, “Police would have taken trash from the Kohberger home and used DNA from that to essentially perform a paternity test against DNA taken from the knife sheath found at the crime scene.” JMO, that is basically the same observation I have been trying to make, or at least that is how understand it

Edit: she also says “genetic genealogy should not be used for the basis of an arrest, It can be used to vet tips”

Last edited:
Oh, man. It's time for me to go to sleep. I thought you were talking about Dickies clothes. But that is some really interesting info on the knife and sheath. Thanks! Sounds very cumbersome to carry around, for sure. Would it make you walk differently when it's looped into the belt? Just thinking about any video footage of the perp. JMO
Must not have been "looped into the belt" because it was left on the bed. If he was wearing it he likely would not have been arrested.

Sorry for not putting everything in one post. You brought up wondering who answered the door, and I've been wondering the same thing due to the timing of the delivery and when they're saying the suspect entered the home. There's a site that comes up in searches using 1122 King Rd, Moscow ID tour, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to link it here. Anyway between that and the video of the roommates pretending to be each other, it's easy to (see) "stand" on the steps leading up to the third floor and watch someone come up the stairs to the 2nd floor. The ceiling above the stairs to the 3rd floor is high and lets anyone coming down fully see the living room and the top part of the stairway coming up to the 2nd. It looks like if BK (or whoever) was coming down they could have stepped back onto the landing and they wouldn't be seen (by anyone coming up the stairs or even in that section of the living room). Thus no confrontation and no need to go after Xana or Ethan.
Interesting reasoning, but, with respect, I think you make a small leap to your conclusion.

Even if the intruder could see X and/or E in the middle-floor kitchen from the viewpoint you mark on the stairs to the upper floor, we can't assume he would have felt comfortable waiting for X and/or E to return to their bedroom out of sight.

The intruder--hopped up on adrenaline as he must have been--might have felt trapped and chose to attack rather than wait out additional people on the middle floor.

I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood your conclusion. I think you are arguing the intruder wouldn't have been surprised by X or E. Maybe not "surprised", yet he might have felt threatened all the same and decided the best defense was a good offense.

Last edited:
Must not have been looped into the belt because it was left on the bed. If he was wearing it he likely would not have been arrested.
Yeah, that's why I'm wondering how easy it is to walk with one of those things looped. IMO, the length of the knife sounds like it would restrict movement, especially the type of movement the perp probably had to make to kill four people.

It was listed that LE found "prescriptions". I wonder if Kohberger had stopped taking any medication he was being prescribed? Idk how it works in the US but here in UK, if you have a prescription then you have to give it to the pharmacist to get the medication and they keep the prescription. If he stopped taking medication then anger, obsessive compulsions, insomnia etc could've come back with a venganace.
You are right that a "prescription" is actually the note from the doctor specifying the meds to be provided. But it is common parlance in the USA to refer to drugs in their bottles as "prescriptions", short for "prescription meds" as opposed to "over-the-counter" or "illegal" meds.

IIRC, The DNA found on the sheath was used with genealogy, and there was a family hit and it correlated to the car registration being Kohberger and they used the DNA from the trash (which turned out to be his fathers) to confirm the connection to him? I will have to trawl through posts to find a link so, JMO and as I said, IIRC and if not correctly, I'm happy to be told.

ETA: Found a link : Genealogists able to identify Bryan Kohberger as Idaho murder suspect within days -WPBF
"Police ran the unknown DNA through the national CODIS DNA database but came up empty because Kohberger had no criminal history.

That’s when sources say police had genetic genealogists upload the samples to a public database such as Family Tree DNA, looking for matching relatives.
Genealogists then built a family tree using birth and death records, census records and other hints until they had a whole tree of that extended family going back generations.

At that point, they move downward from great, great-parents to living people looking to see who is the right age, lives in the area, and could be a possible suspect"
@Observant-ADHD-ENFP-BSc, IMO the Elantra was located via a search of parking permits and then a WSU police officer went to apartment to verify, as stated in the affidavit. As to the article you posted, I am always Leary when an article starts out “A source close to the Idaho student murders investigation”. JMO. Once again we have “experts” filling in the gaps IMO.

Edit, from affidavit

Attachments

• 49DD9389-505C-4B12-9202-0777A09155D7.jpeg
    49DD9389-505C-4B12-9202-0777A09155D7.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If you look at #52 on the list. The d in colored is also two strokes that do not connect, so it looks like 2 letters when it is really one. JMO

I am not sure if it is 10 or ID either. If it were ID cards I would think that a number would be listed.
What I am used to seeing on lists is the number written out and then the actual number in parentheses and then a description: Ten (10) cards, or Ten (10) ID cards.
I guess there is variation depending on who is writing the list?
JMO

View attachment 407005
I wrote my question when the papers were first released, but nobody thought much of it. Your point about the writer making the letter "D" with two strokes brings me to ask it again:

Might the notation read: "ID (UDS)"? As in "University of DeSales". The correct name is DeSales University, but that would be an easy error for the writer to make. BK had only graduated a half-year before the raid and might well still have his student ID in a glove pocket or just loose in a winter glove.

I don't know about BK, but somewhere in a box I have ID cards from every university where I was a student or professor. IME, colleges don't collect those IDs when you leave, probably because students regularly withdraw for a term or two and then re-enroll.

Sorry, but MOO, the idea that he was ID’d through family tree DNA is misinformation. That kind of tracking takes a significantly long time for research. The test on DNA retrieved from trash is more akin to a paternity test (paternity DNA profiling). MOO
Please read the linked article. I did not state he was IDed thru the family tree but this research was used in this case. The "trash" DNA, when it turned out wasn't BK himself, was used in the warrant to establish that they had the DNA of the father of the male that was the source of DNA on the knife sheath, and therefore likely to be BK's father. It wasn't claimed to be anything more than that. MOO

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering how easy it is to walk with one of those things looped. IMO, the length of the knife sounds like it would restrict movement, especially the type of movement the perp probably had to make to kill four people.
IMO BK probably wore coveralls with no belt so had to carry the knife and sheath in a pocket. If he wore belted pants under the coveralls, it would be very inconvenient to access the knife even if it were in a sheath on the belt. JMO

Please read the linked article. I did not state he was IDed thru the family tree but this research was used in this case. The "trash" DNA, when it turned out wasn't BK himself, was used in the warrant to establish that they had the DNA of the father of the male that was the source of DNA on the knife sheath, and therefore likely to be BK's father. It wasn't claimed to be anything more than that. MOO

I have read the linked article, several times. My issue is I am always leary when an article starts out “A source close to the Idaho student murders investigation-“. I’m sorry if I misconstrued your intent. MOO

Edit: I believe I may have directed my initial response to the wrong post and poster, sorry about that :oops:. Now if only I could remember which post I was responding too

Last edited:
Was he running away? I have often wondered if BK intended to not return to WSU. The inventory of evidence from his office listed NOTHING, as if he had cleared out all books, papers, etc. Additionally, there were very few items removed from his apartment. No clothes, personal documents, materials related to his future coursework. The pillows were "uncased." There was no mention of linens, towels, etc. Just a mattress casing. As we now know, he took all his textbooks back to PA. It just seems as though he was not planning to return. MOO, of course.
I'm not quarreling with your overall point, just pointing out that IME (several years as a working TA), TA offices are shared spaces where one does not leave personal possessions, not even office supplies. There may be no more complex reason than that if LE found nothing of note in BK's "office".

The destruction of parents' home - that's on him, never LE.
Unless of course, he isn't guilty. I've seen the aftermath of a SWAT raid on a house. The person they were looking for no longer lived there and the owners were left with holes in their walls, broken windows and doors. Totally unnecessary.

<modsnip - quoted post and response to it removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine that the prosecution will have several other ways of putting him at a scene where he had no business being when the murders took place if they have a solid case. DNA plus circumstantial evidence could equal a steep uphill battle for the defense. It looks that way already simply based on what little authorities released thus far. JMO
No doubt. My comment was more of a technical clarification. The sheath being there does mean BK was the one who left it. There are a lot of comments here and elsewhere that make the, "a sheath with BK's DNA on it was at the murder scene ergo, BK was at the house the night of the murder."

No doubt. My comment was more of a technical clarification. The sheath being there does mean BK was the one who left it. There are a lot of comments here and elsewhere that make the, "a sheath with BK's DNA on it was at the murder scene ergo, BK was at the house the night of the murder."
MOO it’s the reasonable conclusion.

Great article @DeDee IMO! CeCe does make this statement in the article, “Police would have taken trash from the Kohberger home and used DNA from that to essentially perform a paternity test against DNA taken from the knife sheath found at the crime scene.” JMO, that is basically the same observation I have been trying to make, or at least that is how understand it

Edit: she also says “genetic genealogy should not be used for the basis of an arrest, It can be used to vet tips”

I don't believe those two tests were the same thing.

From everything I've gathered from reports.....police used genetic genealogy to narrow the pool down to Kohlberger. I wouldn't be surprised if we later found out that this is what helped get them get the cell phone tower evidence.

IMO Kohlberger was at the top of their person of interest list on the day the identification of his car happened. The investigator noted his bushy eyebrows (matched description), the lack of a front plate (matched the car on the videos) and particularly being pulled over in august late at night in the area (other kills have been caught this way).

I'm guessing that they might have worked to clear people from their list via the Genealogy results. As working backwards with at least one known variable is much quicker

Again, IMO BK was probably their #1 person of interest on the day his Elantra was called in.

The quick DNA test at the house was to confirm the earlier genealogy match (which could have been generations away from BK). With a known sample from his family tree.

So
1. DNA Sample Collected
2. No hit on CODIS
3. Straight to Genealogy
4. Genealogy shows that the person on their radar (elantra, bushy eyebrows, no plate, ticket) BK, is somehow related to the DNA owner
5. Dad's DnA is collected
6. Paternity test is ran on Dad's DNA against the suspects DNA
7. "YOU ARE 100%.....THE FATHER of the murderer!" - Maury

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors