4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how do four 20-somethings who don't seem to be from wealthy backgrounds have so much money in college that they even need this many financial institutions? As SGH said, it was like 8 or 9 different financial institutions counting the credit unions. I don't believe it's student loans (certainly not federal student loans, and they'd have no reason to get private loans). I get what you're saying about people knowing each other and having the same bank, but 8-9 different banks? And college aged kids, all of whom need that many?

This whole case is very weird.

MOO.
You don't have to be wealthy. You simply need to like a high reward simply for opening accounts. lol Take me for example. I opened a BUNCH of accts over the years simply for that reason. At least a dozen. I made a good amount of money that way with the various cash rewards simply by moving some money over there. Considered doing one yesterday when I got an offer for $525 to open a new savings acct at a bank I don't have a savings acct at. At the beginning of Covid I opened one up at a bank that offered $600 for any new customers to that bank (I had never banked with them) by opening a checking and savings acct. I'm like... SCORE! They'll give me $600 to open accounts and now I no longer have to go inside the branch to make my CC payments! I can just transfer money from the safety of my home. Woohoo! Plus I was getting paid 1.5% cash back just for paying my utility bills, and other necessities. (that only works if you pay your CC in full.)

And now that I'm with some of these institutions they keep offering me $100 per person that I refer to them (that sign up). Also, all the above accounts weren't simply for the initial reward to open the acct. It was also for the rewards when using the CC. Cards for 5% for grocery stores, 3-4% for entertainment (Hulu, Netflix, concerts, etc.), etc., etc. I use different cards depending on where I'm shopping to get the highest cash paid back.

So... back to the members of that house all having multiple bank accts... they very well may have done what I mentioned above. It would have been quite smart of them if they did that, actually. Also, they needed to do something to get a decent FICO score. That's the perfect age to start. Sounds to me like someone clued one of them in to how things work financially, and that person educated the others. And got rewarded for it as well!

The 2 biggest parts of your FICO are your payment history (35% of your score). This shows whether you make payments on time, etc. Then there's How much you owe on loans and credit cards (30% of your score). That is based on the entire amount you owe, the number and types of accounts you have, and the amount of money owed compared to how much credit you have available. High balances and maxed-out credit cards will lower your credit score, but smaller balances may raise it – if you pay on time.

I'd like to think they were being financially smart having all those accounts, and they weren't for bad reasons.

Last edited:

Quote from post brought forward from previous thread.
"Just because all 4 are listed in the search warrant doesn’t mean that all the victims actually have an account at all these banks.They’re casting a wide net to allow themselves to follow a trail; trace specific transactions."

@Momac-07 Thank you for your post regarding the financial warrants. I also think that LE may well have been seeking details of the victims' (and redacteds') specific transactions through these warrants. Not just purchases that might come up on a bank/credit/debit card statement with times the money left the account, but also details of exactly when and where the purchase actually took place. Could such a transaction trail be shown through the relevant records of banks and Credit Card Comps such as AMEX that may also act as credut card networks at the point of transaction?. I am not schooled at all in this area and am uninformed. So I wanted to ask you on the chance you might be more informed as to how tracing specific transactions might work in relation the these warrants.

Attaching links to a few public articles I dug up.

Below - How Credit card processing works:

Below -Difference between Card issuer and credit card network

Below: list of credit card companies. I pulled a quote I found relevant regarding BOA

"Bank of America provides banking and card services to about 67 million consumer and small business clients.The company’s card offerings rank high on our list of the best student cards, but the company provides myriad credit card options for many types of consumers and businesses."

ETA: Also from above article re Discover Bank and AMEX (emphasis mine).

"American Express and Discover are distinct among the big four credit card networks because these financial companies also issue credit cards."

Last edited:
The good news is we are getting closer to the preliminary hearing. The bad news is a gag order prevents anything more than speculation even when something evidence-related is made public. I'm concerned about proceedings in this case remaining off limits except for tidbits that create more questions about these crimes, rather than answers. So far, the media has not made any headway against the extensive gag order.

From WNEP:

MOO
The hearing will be open to the public.

Some posters are speculating that BK may have fraudulently approached the King Road residence as a DD driver, although it is not clear how that could happen. If it did happen, BK would have needed access to an actual DD driver's account, or hacked into an account (or accounts), or signed up using another name/identity. And perhaps other options that I haven't listed?

If that were the case, then it would be interesting to see if the dates and times of the 12 occasions when BK's cell phone records put him in the area of the King Road house as mentioned in the Probable Cause Affadavit correspond to dates and times of King Road orders using DD. The PCA does say that the 12 occasions that BK's cell phone records put him in that area were all (except one) in the late evening or early morning hours.

The PCA only gives two dates - August 21, 2022 and October 14, 2022. August 21 is a Sunday and October 14 is a Friday. Wonder if the other 10 occasions are weekends when college students would be most likely to order DD late at night or in the early morning hours.
If one wanted to case a house at night, carrying a DD bag would be a good way to avoid any suspicion. No one would think twice about a DD guy walking around at night.

It wouldnt be very difficult to pose as a DD driver..

If one wanted to case a house at night, carrying a DD bag would be a good way to avoid any suspicion. No one would think twice about a DD guy walking around at night.

Yep. And it gives a person cover to approach a front door, even ring the doorbell, in order to find uninhabited houses. That's why so many people in my neighborhood have cameras now, because there were all these break-in's that occurred while people were on vacation, or in our case, while we were at work (our schedules are public). The actual breach to the house occurred from the back yard - someone jumped the fence south of our back yard - from the neighbors' back yard. And what they stole was mainly identity documents, which we didn't realize at the time. We did eventually get a picture of the culprit (who was going through our mail) but LE would not prosecute. The person's image matched the footprints in our back yard and we knew exactly who it was. Our recording's time stamp was in error because this person killed power to the house before entering (our main boxes are all on the outside back of our houses - we now have a padlock on ours.

Sigh.

I still think BK had a pattern of hot prowling and perhaps a little B & E or at least peeping. OTOH, maybe he just went to social events and lurked on the fringes. He knew he had criminal intentions. He was using his studies to help himself, as many many people do. When his school world hit the skids, he lost his mind (what was left of a functioning adult mind). Gosh, I'd love to get him in one of those SPECT machines.

IMO.

You don't have to be wealthy. You simply need to like a high reward simply for opening accounts. lol Take me for example. I opened a BUNCH of accts over the years simply for that reason. At least a dozen. I made a good amount of money that way with the various cash rewards simply by moving some money over there. Considered doing one yesterday when I got an offer for $525 to open a new savings acct at a bank I don't have a savings acct at. At the beginning of Covid I opened one up at a bank that offered $600 for any new customers to that bank (I had never banked with them) by opening a checking and savings acct. I'm like... SCORE! They'll give me $600 to open accounts and now I no longer have to go inside the branch to make my CC payments! I can just transfer money from the safety of my home. Woohoo! Plus I was getting paid 1.5% cash back just for paying my utility bills, and other necessities. (that only works if you pay your CC in full.)

And now that I'm with some of these institutions they keep offering me $100 per person that I refer to them (that sign up). Also, all the above accounts weren't simply for the initial reward to open the acct. It was also for the rewards when using the CC. Cards for 5% for grocery stores, 3-4% for entertainment (Hulu, Netflix, concerts, etc.), etc., etc. I use different cards depending on where I'm shopping to get the highest cash paid back.

So... back to the members of that house all having multiple bank accts... they very well may have done what I mentioned above. It would have been quite smart of them if they did that, actually. Also, they needed to do something to get a decent FICO score. That's the perfect age to start. Sounds to me like someone clued one of them in to how things work financially, and that person educated the others. And got rewarded for it as well!

The 2 biggest parts of your FICO are your payment history (35% of your score). This shows whether you make payments on time, etc. Then there's How much you owe on loans and credit cards (30% of your score). That is based on the entire amount you owe, the number and types of accounts you have, and the amount of money owed compared to how much credit you have available. High balances and maxed-out credit cards will lower your credit score, but smaller balances may raise it – if you pay on time.

I'd like to think they were being financially smart having all those accounts, and they weren't for bad reasons.

Respectfully, I think the above is a horrible financial strategy for college kids and I can't see all these sets of parents telling them that or encouraging it. It's possible certainly, but IMO, there's more to it than that. MOO.

Perhaps his parents contacted the local prison ministry organization or a local parish and asked them to visit their son, and with BK's permission they included him in their prison ministry.

At many jails, the priests and pastors are allowed to contact prisoners to ask if they need services. The guest log at the jail where I was working was almost entirely priests and pastors (half them were themselves felons - I got to interview quite a few of them). Some of these priests and pastors also had training in counseling and, especially, some study in addictions. They were among the very few people who were willing to interact with the sex offenders and child abusers. Upon release, many former prisoners (these were misdemeanor cases for the most part or felonies where the sentence was 2 years or less) went to the churches of these priests and pastors, at least at first.

IME. JMO.

It wouldnt be very difficult to pose as a DD driver..

That's disturbing!

The delivery bag (Insulated Catering Bag) looks very much like an item I saw being carried out as evidence in this case. I cannot find the image rn but I did see LE carrying a bag with something black and red square shaped. Immediately I thought it looked like a Dominos pizza carrier. Will try to find the image & post later.

<modsnip: Not an approved source>

FWIW if BK were posing as DD we'd likely have heard by now. Not to mention DD typically drop off orders instead of interacting with the customer. If this were a tactic or ruse, it wouldn't get BK close enough. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. And it gives a person cover to approach a front door, even ring the doorbell, in order to find uninhabited houses. That's why so many people in my neighborhood have cameras now, because there were all these break-in's that occurred while people were on vacation, or in our case, while we were at work (our schedules are public). The actual breach to the house occurred from the back yard - someone jumped the fence south of our back yard - from the neighbors' back yard. And what they stole was mainly identity documents, which we didn't realize at the time. We did eventually get a picture of the culprit (who was going through our mail) but LE would not prosecute. The person's image matched the footprints in our back yard and we knew exactly who it was. Our recording's time stamp was in error because this person killed power to the house before entering (our main boxes are all on the outside back of our houses - we now have a padlock on ours.

Sigh.

I still think BK had a pattern of hot prowling and perhaps a little B & E or at least peeping. OTOH, maybe he just went to social events and lurked on the fringes. He knew he had criminal intentions. He was using his studies to help himself, as many many people do. When his school world hit the skids, he lost his mind (what was left of a functioning adult mind). Gosh, I'd love to get him in one of those SPECT machines.

IMO.
Curious as to why they wouldn't prosecute, catching him redhanded and all.

Respectfully, I think the above is a horrible financial strategy for college kids and I can't see all these sets of parents telling them that or encouraging it. It's possible certainly, but IMO, there's more to it than that. MOO.
I totally agree it's likely not a good idea for college kids. A lot of restraint is needed in the strategy I outlined which was in response to how it could be possible. I tossed out a possibility. :)

And yet, it seems the victims had both. JMO
LE’s request looks like boilerplate language for all financial institutions. I don’t see anything to indicate a card reader. But I could be wrong.

At one time the name Square specifically referred to the mini square card reader only because it was the sole product they produced. I was a beta customer. But it hasn’t been just that in years now. Hence their name change end of 2021 / start of 2022 to Block. Which better represented their portfolio of financial products.

I'd like to think they were being financially smart having all those accounts, and they weren't for bad reason
Just wanted to add another perspective in the same kind of context.
At the beginning of the school year, the new intakes go through a whirlwind of activities, there are events planned nearly every day if not twice on campus. At these events, there are stalls, giving loot bags with stickers, pens, keyrings, etc. Most major banks have a stall, giving away freebies but hoping to sign up students. Being independent, sometimes for the first time and beong offered credit card after credit card, is easy for these students to get caught up in.

FICO score can go down if you have too many credit cards even with no balance, as they constitute open credit lines, even if you're not using them. Too many revolving accounts.

Thanks @Ghostwheel for your very helpful post. So each brand of phone has their own identifier. Still, Kaylee is the only one that doesn't have a phone ID beyond the last four digits of her phone number. <moo>
It's not brand but a network TYPE. This was important years ago when my D was taking her CDMA phone to South America which only has GSM networks. Likely these students all had the latetest and greatest iphone, though, so may not matter anymore. I just mentioned it in case the carrier is why you didn't get to see the IMEI number for Kaylee's phone.

In our case (Verizon and used to be CDMA), back in the day the phone number was tied to the phone. So if I had 4 phones, there was information for 4 phones attached to the Phone Number. That would be four identification numbers, 4 backups when phones were switched, etc. What if Kaylee had more than one phone during the timeframe the warrant covers so they need to be able to get the information for and from every phone and phone backup attached to the phone number, not just a specific phone with a single IMEI number?

MOO, and random thoughts.

I can think of a scenario that involves Doordash without BK having to have qualified to be a driver or using some other driver's credentials.

What if (sometime in the months prior to November) he approached the house, carrying a bag from a local food spot, and pretended to be a DD driver who mistakenly went to the wrong house? Then it wouldn't matter that no one at 1122 had actually ordered, but it would give him a chance to learn a bit about the house and its occupants.

He could say "delivery for Bob" and then wait to be told "no Bob here, we have only girls living here" or even told the actual residents names, if he managed to be congenial enough and they weren't on their guard (whoever answered). He could chat up whoever answered and peek behind them to see what he could see.

Which makes me think of another comment about the house, unrelated. Due to the odd layout, it seems like it would fall to whoever was living on the lowest floor, to answer the door most of the time anyone knocked. Wouldn't that be a hassle? Or maybe it's just the hermit/introvert in me. No wonder DM moved upstairs when a room opened up. MOO

OK, one more comment. People have been asking about when the residents moved into the house. I thought we knew that some of the residents had been there only since the start of that school year but that others had been there the year prior as well. Am I misremembering?

Last edited:
Personal Safety at Home? For Us & Anyone.
I think he was using DD in some way, pretending to be associated.... I want to post. I can share this;
and this is not the only article out there. just google.
snipped for focus. @Sister Golden Hair Thanks for the link about recent Houston, TX area event. Scary stuff.

"Woman pretends to be DoorDash delivery driver while suspects try to break into back of Spring house"....1:20 a.m., a woman... knocked on the front door of the home and announced herself as a DoorDash delivery driver....she lingered in the front of the house until about 2 a.m...." sbm

Well, a food delivery driver who knocking at door for a min. would seem unusually patient, even if the resident had ordered a post midnight snack. But driver standing at door any longer??? Hardly seems legit.

Plus
"In the meantime "four male... suspects got into the backyard... and tried to break in... not able to get inside..." but damaged home's exterior. sbm

^^^ This is the kicker. Whenever a stranger is at front door, the possibility of an ACCOMPLICE at the BACKDOOR/SIDEDOOR always crosses my mind. And doesn't really matter if it's accomplice singular or plural, or if they try to enter quietly or bash/kick/breacher bar their way in. Either way leaves the resident(s) in the middle of intruders w ill-intent in mind.

I've read about this waaay too often. Take care, fellow Sleuthers.

Oh, look, a KA-BAR product.
KA-BAR 2484SF Ussf Bridge Breacher Tool Blue Plastisol Handle, Gray Tool
A total coincidence from my Amazon search for breacher bar image.

ETA: NOT suggesting or implying BK had a tool like this to enter 1122 King.

Last edited:
It's certainly intriguing. Some have speculated that he was worried about his parents, but it could have been because he thought someone back in Moscow or Pullman might have been arrested - maybe there was someone else involved in some way. JMO.
I don't think we have seen anything that would specifically rule out an accomplice. BUT, he seems to believe he is a great deal smarter than everyone else, including his professors, and he clearly has problems making friends. It seems a real stretch for me to think he could bond with someone sufficiently to commit a crime together. I have been sick this week and my brain is not coming up with the word I want, darn it. Even if this person was more of a helper than a partner, I can't imagine him trusting someone else to that degree. MOOooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member