4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then there'd be blood from the glove OR he took the time to change his gloves, which we'd have to factor into the 15 minutes, along with the missing footprints. It has to be one or the other, IMO.
Ah I understand what you're saying.

Maybe he added a second layer of glove afterwards rather than removing the bloody ones?

But as others have said, I don't think anyone is suggesting there weren't any instances of blood in the house outside the two bedrooms.

Although -- unlike footprints, there is no reason he would have needed to touch anything with his hands once he left the crime scene rooms. Even the sliding door could have been left open so he could exit without touching anything. Or there might have been a few dabs or drops of blood here and there but not enough for the house to be labelled bloody all over. MOO

These statements by John Kelly, LLC have always made the most sense as a possible reason why the knife sheath with USMC insignia knife was left on the bed next to Kaylee & Maddie (BBM):

"Accused murderer Bryan Kohberger may have deliberately left a knife sheath at the home where four University of Idaho students were found stabbed to death in an attempt to mislead investigators, according to a criminal profiler.
...Kelly believes Kohberger left the brown leather sheath, which has “Ka-Bar,” “USMC” and the United States Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia, to point blame toward someone in the military.
...“This is Staging 101,” he told Fox News. “They’re gonna look at this, and they’re gonna think it’s a military guy that did this. Some guy with some kind of training who lives up the road.”"

Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger may have left knife sheath behind to mislead investigators: expert

About a month after the murders an army vet who lived near WSU Pullman campus was killed in an armed standoff with police:

"... Photos from the scene show law enforcement personnel and vehicles descended upon an area adjacent to the south side of the WSU Pullman campus in the early morning hours of Dec. 15. Neighbors and witnesses stated they heard gunshots in the area....

The proximity of the Pullman incident to U of I led to some concern among locals and speculation that the two events could be related, but Pullman authorities have said they do not believe there is any connection. "

Pullman man who was fatally shot by SWAT officer after threat to roommates identified as Army vet

Just after BK and his father left WA and were pulled over in IN, they mentioned the shooting that had just occurred to the LEO who pulled them over:

"Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger and his father mentioned a Washington State University shooting to an Indiana deputy during a traffic stop on their cross-country trip to Pennsylvania in mid-December, new bodycam footage reveals, along with the suspect's voice.

The encounter happened several hours before state police stopped the duo, and the same morning in which a Washington SWAT team killed an armed man after a standoff.

The Kohbergers do not appear to have been ticketed either time, and referred to the Washington incident as a "mass shooting," although only the suspect was shot.""

Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger's dad mentioned WSU SWAT shooting in new police bodycam

All MOO of course, just one possibility I have considered and not discounted yet until/unless LE/prosecution does at trial, that the USMC knife sheath was left on purpose as a "red herring" pointing towards a perpetrator with military ties, and coincidentally about a month later an ex military vet "up the road" died in a shootout with LE and this led to speculation that "the two events could be related".

These statements by John Kelly, LLC have always made the most sense as a possible reason why the knife sheath with USMC insignia knife was left on the bed next to Kaylee & Maddie (BBM):

"Accused murderer Bryan Kohberger may have deliberately left a knife sheath at the home where four University of Idaho students were found stabbed to death in an attempt to mislead investigators, according to a criminal profiler.
...Kelly believes Kohberger left the brown leather sheath, which has “Ka-Bar,” “USMC” and the United States Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia, to point blame toward someone in the military.
...“This is Staging 101,” he told Fox News. “They’re gonna look at this, and they’re gonna think it’s a military guy that did this. Some guy with some kind of training who lives up the road.”"

Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger may have left knife sheath behind to mislead investigators: expert

About a month after the murders an army vet who lived near WSU Pullman campus was killed in an armed standoff with police:

"... Photos from the scene show law enforcement personnel and vehicles descended upon an area adjacent to the south side of the WSU Pullman campus in the early morning hours of Dec. 15. Neighbors and witnesses stated they heard gunshots in the area....

The proximity of the Pullman incident to U of I led to some concern among locals and speculation that the two events could be related, but Pullman authorities have said they do not believe there is any connection. "

Pullman man who was fatally shot by SWAT officer after threat to roommates identified as Army vet

Just after BK and his father left WA and were pulled over in IN, they mentioned the shooting that had just occurred to the LEO who pulled them over:

"Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger and his father mentioned a Washington State University shooting to an Indiana deputy during a traffic stop on their cross-country trip to Pennsylvania in mid-December, new bodycam footage reveals, along with the suspect's voice.

The encounter happened several hours before state police stopped the duo, and the same morning in which a Washington SWAT team killed an armed man after a standoff.

The Kohbergers do not appear to have been ticketed either time, and referred to the Washington incident as a "mass shooting," although only the suspect was shot.""

Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger's dad mentioned WSU SWAT shooting in new police bodycam

All MOO of course, just one possibility I have considered and not discounted yet until/unless LE/prosecution does at trial, that the USMC knife sheath was left on purpose as a "red herring" pointing towards a perpetrator with military ties, and coincidentally about a month later an ex military vet "up the road" died in a shootout with LE and this led to speculation that "the two events could be related".
I don't think it is out of the question at all to consider that they sheath was left behind on purpose. When we first heard about the sheath I thought it seemed odd a killer would leave it.

How about under the fingernails of the victim?

And then there's this:
"Until recently, this type of DNA has been regarded as incontrovertible proof of direct contact. But a growing number of studies show that DNA does not always stay put. For example, a person who merely carried a cloth that had been wiped across someone else's neck could then transfer that person's DNA onto an object he or she never touched, according to a study published earlier this year in the International Journal of Legal Medicine. Similarly, Cynthia M. Cale, a master's candidate in human biology at the University of Indianapolis, recently reported in the Journal of Forensic Sciences that a person who uses a steak knife after shaking hands with another person transfers that person's DNA onto the handle. In fact, in a fifth of the samples she collected, the person identified as the main contributor of DNA never touched the knife. Cale and her colleagues are among several groups now working to establish how easily and how quickly cells can be transferred—and how long they persist. “What we get is what we get,” Cale says, “but it's how that profile is used and presented that we need to be cautious about.”

The purpose of posting these isn't to suggest BK is innocent, but to suggest that the DNA evidence (that we know about), on its own, is not a slam dunk case, and much of the other evidence has holes too.

MOO.

It was my mistake not to call out this case as an outlier. As they had no other evidence against Lukis besides an eye witness that later recanted. As that case/article has been shared on these series of threads over a dozen times.

So while you're right...this case is entirely different.

This theory was posited by a lot of people initially. And it could explain why the sheath had no DNA other than what was found on or around the button. Assuming BK wiped it down in anticipation that it might be left behind.

If BK had no plans on leaving behind the sheath (I bet it didn't even cross his mind) it's likely that they would have found more of his DNA mixed in with the victim blood (that's also likely on the sheath). That's the only thing that gives me slight pause in considering this theory. But I immediately dismiss it as that Marine sheath is pretty common and widely sold on the internet.

With as shoddy as 'profiling' has revealed to be (the FBI's strengths are in their processes, tools, experience and brains) I'm not surprised a FBI agent has the same theory as amateur sleuthers when having access to the same evidence and widely available information on the web.

All MOO.

This theory was posited by a lot of people initially. And it could explain why the sheath had no DNA other than what was found on or around the button. Assuming BK wiped it down in anticipation that it might be left behind.

If BK had no plans on leaving behind the sheath (I bet it didn't even cross his mind) it's likely that they would have found more of his DNA mixed in with the victim blood (that's also likely on the sheath). That's the only thing that gives me slight pause in considering this theory. But I immediately dismiss it as that Marine sheath is pretty common and widely sold on the internet.

With as shoddy as 'profiling' has revealed to be (the FBI's strengths are in their processes, tools, experience and brains) I'm not surprised a FBI agent has the same theory as amateur sleuthers when having access to the same evidence and widely available information on the web.

All MOO.
I am channeling our very logical BeginnerSleuther (I hope :)) when I say that we shouldn't assume that BK's DNA is the only DNA found on the sheath, or that around the snap was the only place DNA has been found. We simply don't know. I believe 10ofRods mentioned that was likely the only DNA that could be obtained without possibly damaging the sheath. In any event, that is just the only DNA mentioned in the PCA. It seems highly unlikely to me that anyone could kill two adults in that bed, and leave a sheath behind with nothing but one bit of DNA on it.

I will concede that the killer, whoever it may be, might have left the sheath behind on purpose but I prefer Occam's Razor. I believe that ether one of the victims was over the sheath and he didn't want to try and move them or, as things got further an further out of hand, he may have bolted away from his first two victims when he heard Xana say "someone is here". Realizing at least one more person was awake in the house, and then killing two more people, could certainly have made the killer forget all about the sheath until he was gone from the scene. MOOooo

Also, it was found on what is known as a "use point." There was enough DNA deposited by multiple snappings/unsnappings to get a few swabs (and I bet a big box of donuts there's plenty more left on the sheath).

The idea that someone broke into BK's apt and stole his Ka-Bar knife and sheath; drove a car with his phone in it, a car that matches the description of his own car; turned the phone off, then murdered, left the sheath to frame BK (WHY?) and then drove in roundabout fashion to BK's apartment to park the car; then stole the car again around 9 am and drove to the murder scene is preposterous, to me. An unknown person (BK had few associations, so might as well say a stranger who hated him) steals his phone, knife, sheath and car; kills 4 people (three of whom BK had interacted with on Insta before the murders IMO); then drives around Idaho back to Pullman; parks the car; then steals it again? Really?

And such a person wouldn't be worried about getting victim blood in the car (just his own DNA). Why is BK so worried about hiding his trash? Because he knows how LE uses trash to match DNA and he knows the DNA is on the missing sheath.

Then, after visiting the murder scene, this car thief (never reported by BK) drives the same route as the night before. Wow.

Why didn't BK report all this? THat's clearly what all those asks by LE were after. Come forward and tell us the story, even if you have any knowledge about this situation. That would be the time for BK to exonerate himself.

And if he has this story to tell about the car being stolen, he should have had an early prelim and said exactly that. If his claim is that he himself slept in late, so this person could steal his car twice and bring it back twice, then yeah, that's a weak alibi. How did the person break into the car? There ought to be have been signs of hotwiring. Why is BK himself SEEN ON VIDEO at Albertson's and the Coffee Stand and one other place during the second "theft." How does BK know to go the same route as his ostensible enemy?

This is laughable. IMO. If it weren't so awfully tragic. But the story of a frame-up (which requires even more knowledge and actions by the perp than what I listed off the top of my head) is extremely far-fetched. And this person (the scoundrel who framed BK) is approximately his height and has a forehead that looks like BK's. Wow. So many amazing coincidences.

Occam's Razor, for me. Respectfully disagreeing with the "someone stole his phone, knife and car and impersonated him" theory (and BK's car phone and PERSON drive the same route the next morning - pausing at 1122 King Road, proceeding south, through Lewiston/Clarkston; getting out of his car; seen on camera in Albertson's and elsewhere).

How does BK know to drive to 1122 the next morning, then go on the same route that his stolen car went the night before (purportedly - according only to speculation here on WS, AFAIK).

I think my questions are good ones - anyone have any answers to this last one? Because we know for sure he did that the next morning. Seen at Albertson's, seen at the coffee stand - and there's one more place where his phone pauses. His car and his phone are in the same place as his body Sunday morning, if you ask me.

IME. IMO.

I agree with your points, the area that I would question most is whether he acted alone or with someone.

I assume there will be enough evidence to show he was alone in his car, that nobody drove him to and from the scene (in his own car), that he didn't bring someone with him, and that he didn't meet anyone else outside the house.

I am channeling our very logical BeginnerSleuther (I hope :)) when I say that we shouldn't assume that BK's DNA is the only DNA found on the sheath, or that around the snap was the only place DNA has been found. We simply don't know. I believe 10ofRods mentioned that was likely the only DNA that could be obtained without possibly damaging the sheath. In any event, that is just the only DNA mentioned in the PCA. It seems highly unlikely to me that anyone could kill two adults in that bed, and leave a sheath behind with nothing but one bit of DNA on it.

I will concede that the killer, whoever it may be, might have left the sheath behind on purpose but I prefer Occam's Razor. I believe that ether one of the victims was over the sheath and he didn't want to try and move them or, as things got further an further out of hand, he may have bolted away from his first two victims when he heard Xana say "someone is here". Realizing at least one more person was awake in the house, and then killing two more people, could certainly have made the killer forget all about the sheath until he was gone from the scene. MOOooo
The sheath was in the bed so it was covered all over in blood. My opinion as I do not see it possible that this would not be the case.

This means that DNA from the victim(s) is on the sheath.

I wonder if blood can obscure DNA?

If BK's DNA was all over the sheath - he never planned to leave it behind - I wonder if all the blood would have destroyed his DNA and the only reason his DNA was found on the snap is because the snap was snapped shut, thus, protecting the snap from blood contamination.

Ah I understand what you're saying.

Maybe he added a second layer of glove afterwards rather than removing the bloody ones?

But as others have said, I don't think anyone is suggesting there weren't any instances of blood in the house outside the two bedrooms.

Although -- unlike footprints, there is no reason he would have needed to touch anything with his hands once he left the crime scene rooms. Even the sliding door could have been left open so he could exit without touching anything. Or there might have been a few dabs or drops of blood here and there but not enough for the house to be labelled bloody all over. MOO
Your post made me think again about the tight timeline. The mention of the sliding door --

Pure speculation:

4 am, X receives her DD food.
4 am, BK's Elantra is moving in and around 1122 King.
4 am, sliding door is shut
4:1, 2, 3 am to.... X might bring the food upstairs, go into her bedroom, eat.
4:04 am, the Elantra is parked
4:06ish to maybe 410ish, a masked intruder enters through the sliding door, proceeds directly to the third floor.
4:07ish to 4:09ish, X may return to the kitchen with her DD bag, slider is open. Odd. She shuts it, goes back to Ethan and says that someone is there...

Masked Intruder realizes other people are awake. Perhaps he heard DM, perhaps he heard X. Confronted or otherwise, he eliminates the two potential witnesses, exits past DM's door and moves toward the kitchen where he finds the sliding door he'd left open, closed.

(If K is the source of 'there's somebody here/there" perhaps she was very awake at 4 am, intending to climb into her own bed. Perhaps Murphy was responding to an unseen threat. Not playing but in distress, easy to confuse from a floor below. Perhaps K looked out her balcony door and saw a vehicle park where no one need park, perhaps she saw a figure approach the house from behind. Perhaps she crated Murphy, slipped over to M's room to tell her somebody was there... and that's how they came to be together in one room/bed when the masked intruder overpowered them.)

As for the latent print outside DM's room, perhaps that was the first footprint that wasn't wholly obscured by blood and additional imprint detail was made visible upon further testing. Its location outside DM's door corroborates her story and helps confirm the timing of events.

I do wonder if he'd been in the house prior. Dry run. Stealth mode. Got a feel for the lay of the land, especially that one step down.

I look forward to forever forgetting his name.

JMO

There's a big difference between staying silent and providing an alternate suspect. The defense needs to sow doubt in just one juror, however they can. MOO.
If I were on the jury, based on just what we know now, no assumptions, not with an already predetermined intent to hang BK high but actually take the jury instructions/BARD to heart, I would not be able to say the BARD burden had been met. this is jmo imo based on all the holes I see/questions I have.

If anyone thinks the prosecution is sitting around high-fiving that they've got this... well, maybe, but imo jmo I think they're actively looking for any and all holes in their BARD evidence and planned approach...

I agree, but if we're going to post about what the defense needs to do (as has been posted a lot), then I think it's entirely fair game to discuss the prosecution too. MOO.
you can bet that each side is doing that to the other, too. imo jmo ime you make your opponent's case for them in the most convincing fashion, see how they could win, then take it apart bit by bit. imo jmo ime

I don't think it is out of the question at all to consider that they sheath was left behind on purpose. When we first heard about the sheath I thought it seemed odd a killer would leave it.
Agree not out of the question that he may have left the sheath on purpose and odd. IMO This was a mission to BK. He combined his fantasy of being an elite Army special force, aka Army Ranger or Night Stalker (without the plane), with his fantasy of murder. He practiced his mission for years in his head, trained for it, but once deep inside his enemy territory, variables and unpredictability of ppl not being where he imagined and awake, rattled him. I lean toward the side that don't think he realized the sheath was missing until disposal of items used and he could not find the sheath. His "Oh, " moment, but he thought he'd cleaned it well enough to not leave any DNA. So no worries. IMO BK had a VERY high regard of his own knowledge and abilities, real or imaged. JMO

" Army’s premier infantry force, becoming a Ranger is an honor shared by a distinct few. You'll specialize in conducting raids and assault missions deep inside enemy territory—a task only the best-trained can carry out in this branch of the elite Special Operations Forces."

It was my mistake not to call out this case as an outlier. As they had no other evidence against Lukis besides an eye witness that later recanted. As that case/article has been shared on these series of threads over a dozen times.

So while you're right...this case is entirely different.

It's also not the only case.

Agree not out of the question that he may have left the sheath on purpose and odd. IMO This was a mission to BK. He combined his fantasy of being an elite Army special force, aka Army Ranger or Night Stalker (without the plane), with his fantasy of murder. He practiced his mission for years in his head, trained for it, but once deep inside his enemy territory, variables and unpredictability of ppl not being where he imagined and awake, rattled him. I lean toward the side that don't think he realized the sheath was missing until disposal of items used and he could not find the sheath. His "Oh, " moment, but he thought he'd cleaned it well enough to not leave any DNA. So no worries. IMO BK had a VERY high regard of his own knowledge and abilities, real or imaged. JMO

" Army’s premier infantry force, becoming a Ranger is an honor shared by a distinct few. You'll specialize in conducting raids and assault missions deep inside enemy territory—a task only the best-trained can carry out in this branch of the elite Special Operations Forces."
I agree that he probably realized after the fact that he left the sheath, maybe even when he got to his car, but then he was afraid of going back in, especially if he saw the hallway witness.

I always wondered if this is why "it looks like" he went back at 9:00am that morning.

I agree that he probably thought he'd cleaned the sheath well enough to not leave any DNA, especially as time went by with no arrest.

However, he still wasn't sure so he tried to hide his DNA just in case his DNA was found on his knife sheath.

I agree that he probably realized after the fact that he left the sheath, maybe even when he got to his car, but then he was afraid of going back in, especially if he saw the hallway witness.

I always wondered if this is why "it looks like" he went back at 9:00am that morning.

I agree that he probably thought he'd cleaned the sheath well enough to not leave any DNA, especially as time went by with no arrest.

However, he still wasn't sure so he tried to hide his DNA just in case his DNA was found on his knife sheath.
I wonder if he actually didn't see DM in the hallway. It just seems to me that if he had he would have killed her too. It would have only taken moments.

All MOO.

They didn't test other parts of the sheath, as far as we know. And if I worked in that forensics lab, I wouldn't have tested it either - not without approval from a judge. Consumptive testing is a big no-no in genetic forensics.

IMO. And in my professional experience, based on every textbook about forensic genetic testing.

To test the actual leather involves a process that 1) needs a larger sample and 2) is more complex/not quick.

I'm sure the defense will want that done - although I believe they will regret it. The sheath was made in Mexico. So it's likely that there will be human DNA from the workers who tanned the leather which, as seen in the Suzanne Morphew case will be used to befuddle the judge or jury.

Sigh.

Since the reading public has, in general, so little understand even of what DNA is and how it is preserved on various surfaces, I can see why people want there to be "more DNA." I don't myself understand it. People are fine if a body is unidentified for forensic geneticists to find a tiny bit of DNA inside a tooth for ID, but apparently, in the case of a murder weapon, it needs to be more.

The scenario in which someone other than BK used the sheath means that the other person did not touch or use the snap.

It's hardly the biggest blunder in crime history. Plenty of convicted (smart) killers have screwed up. Something is always left and something is always taken. BK knew this and did everything possible to keep victim DNA out of his car (fingers crossed there) and to keep his DNA out of the house (he screwed up and he knew it).

IMO.

I wonder if he actually didn't see DM in the hallway. It just seems to me that if he had he would have killed her too. It would have only taken moments.

My theory is that he knew his plan had derailed when he was forced to kill Xana outside of bed and the blood pooled on the floor, and he knew he was tracking it.

I think he's the type of person who generally considered himself infallible and his mental state totally shifted when he realized he was tracking blood. He forgot about the sheath altogether at that point.

Something similar probably happened on the third floor, although not as major. If he had blood on his hands (I assume he was double gloved) he didn't have to worry too much until he got to his car. He could leave prints but not his own DNA and smudgy handprints around the house without his DNA were useless.

The number of mistakes he didn't make are what have always concerned me. It's entirely possible he didn't see DM (we don't even know how far she opened her door) or even that there was a bedroom there, due to the odd layout, but I do believe he was in an extreme hurry to get out, at that point.

All my own opinion of course. IMO.

This we know for sure:

If he did see her he chose not to kill her.

Why not kill her if he saw her?

Perhaps because his plan was to simply get out of there and he was only focused to that end.

Perhaps he had no intention of killing a person in the hallway, too risky.

That he killed 2 people out of bed I think was unplanned. I think his whole cowardly intention was to kill people sleeping in bed, least resistance and puts this sicko in charge, domination.

Staring women down, grading women harshly, calling a woman a B for ignoring him, bragging he can get any woman, killing women in bed, making women feel "uncomfortable" etc....

Sounds like he wanted the "upper hand" to be dominate, in control over women. The young beautiful women he killed likely represented others who had turned him down, like Ted Bundy.

A young woman with long straight brown hair parted in the middle turned Bundy down. These were the exact "type" of women Bundy stalked.

Note the 3 BK stalked and killed all looked alike, all popular (sororities), all college age.

Like Ted Bundy I think he had a "type."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members