4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
RBBM: I hate to point this out but problem with this, is when LE asked for the footage from Kendrick on Nov 30th, they didn't have any access to BK's phone records (x 2 AT&T warrants not until 23 December). After Dec 23rd LE would have access to all BK's phone pings since June 2022, so could have discovered anything like that at that time.

BK's vehicle was Identified very early am hours of Nov 29th.
If, by Nov 30th, (basically one day) LE had managed to get the footage of 2014-2015 elantra appearing to be leaving Pullman at approx 2.50am on 13 Nov, hypothetically couldn't LE have gone to Kendrick to see if that vehicle had passed through on Nov 13th at the appropriate times in effort to eliminate? Google maps told me 50 mins Pullman to Kendrick at that time of the morning, which would mean elantra might be expected there at around 3.40am at the earliest (assuming no speeding).

Given the scope of the request, I'd say they might have also been looking for evidence of any/all other elantra's passing through on this main route to moscow in the 24 hours surrounding the crimes as part of investigation. Something like widening canvas area at this point, maybe trying to tie in with other footage already canvassed from Moscow. MOO

EBM time
Thank you and I'm glad you pointed these things out, because you're right, they couldn't have had his specific phone data at the time of the ask, and they were likely wanting footage for the main routes in and out of Moscow around that time. Those are solid thoughts and ground me from my overly suspicious mind. :)

I wish we knew if they asked for footage from towns in every direction. And, were there not cameras on all the main drags in and out of Moscow, right within town? Did LE think the white elantra might have come from some direction and then gotten off on a rural road before entering town? Do we know when they had the Styner and Indian Hills footage?

Last edited:
Bbm.
Ita with your entire post.
Well stated. ^^^

I also wanted to add that the investigators may have used Luminol; and if they've found more evidence, imo they're keeping it under wraps, since there is no reason for them to divulge everything just yet.
There's no legal precedence that would compel them to have their hand forced at this time, correct ?
Sorry if that's too 'wordy', trying to say my opinion from a layman's perspective !

BK's atty's. are going to mount a vigorous defense, and also -- imo -- he will receive a fair trial !
His defense may try to say that if the only evidence is the knife sheath, that it was planted -- and BK was never inside the residence.
Makes me nervous for the families.
What if this unspeakable monster walks ?
M00.

After Casey Anthony was acquitted nothing will surprise me-

\

Does LE still have them?
Yes. Defense wanted them kept in evidence and there they remain although, obviously, the one Ethan's brother drove the morning after would have nothing to do with the case - I believe Ethan's golf clubs are in one of these vehicles still stuck in evidence.

I do wonder what will happen with these. They are liable to be stuck in evidence for at least a year or more, depreciating in value, probably becoming run down due to not being used or maintained. Does car insurance pay for a new vehicle if you were a victim of crime and police took your vehicle into evidence? Does car insurance pay for a new vehicle even if you are deceased? What if you a living victim and need your vehicle?

Yes. Defense wanted them kept in evidence and there they remain although, obviously, the one Ethan's brother drove the morning after would have nothing to do with the case - I believe Ethan's golf clubs are in one of these vehicles still stuck in evidence.

That's strange that Kaylee's would be released back to the family, but Ethan's car and clubs and his brother's car are still there? Why would those have more evidentiary value than Kaylee's car?

That's strange that Kaylee's would be released back to the family, but Ethan's car and clubs and his brother's car are still there? Why would those have more evidentiary value than Kaylee's car?
All the vehicles were released one day and Kaylee and Xana's family managed to get theirs picked up quickly, but then, after those 2 vehicles were retrieved the defense filed to keep everything in evidence (not just the vehicles.) So there was only a small window of opportunity to collect the vehicles and then it closed and the remaining 3 vehicles went back into evidence. The families were very frustrated about this, especially the Chapin's who are out 2 cars and a set of golf clubs.

I'm honestly not sure any of the vehicles have any evidentiary value, but I am bothered that the victims and their families still cannot get these other 3 vehicles back after 2 vehicles were returned.

Thank you and I'm glad you pointed these things out, because you're right, they couldn't have had his specific phone data at the time of the ask, and they were likely wanting footage for the main routes in and out of Moscow around that time. Those are solid thoughts and ground me from my overly suspicious mind. :)

I wish we knew if they asked for footage from towns in every direction. And, were there not cameras on all the main drags in and out of Moscow, right within town? Did LE think the white elantra might have come from some direction and then gotten off on a rural road before entering town? Do we know when they had the Styner and Indian Hills footage?
I was wondering myself about when the east of Moscow footage was obtained. I don't believe there has been anything released about it. My guess is either in first canvas -Indian Hills traced back from Styner - the latter footage IIRC was at the intersection of Styner and main road; or possibly, if your speculations are correct, after LE discovered footage of the 2014-2015 elantra passing out of Moscow to the east at about 3am (via safeway(?)) and then could not eliminate that elantra at Troy or Kendrick, so began checking rural roads east of Moscow. MOO

More generally, MWT re due diligence is that LE checked footage for major arteries in and out of Moscow at inner town limits but then also extended the circle out to surrounding towns in all directions incase they missed anyone who may have taken back road routes (in so far as they might exist and be accessible) Speculative MOO. So for instance, in the case of SV1, the PCA says that elantra very likely exited the immediate neighbourhood to the south via Conegstoga (sp?) Road and Palouse/Sand Road because it did not appear on any other footage that would provide an out to the neighbourhood. So to my mind LE would have extended the circle out after this became apparent to try and see where SV1 might turn up next (and per PCA they believe it next turned up incoming to Pullman on Johnson Road then main road N-E Stadium Drive Pullman in the form of the 2014-2015 elantra). But due diligence would have been checking other possible outs for SV1 in other directions after its inferred arrival on Palouse/Sand Road -in all directions as far as possible. MOO

*ETA: This is one idea I've had as to how the State are going to reasonably infer that SV1 is the 2014-2015 elantra shown in the footage in Pullman and from there, via the phone pings, how the 2014-2015 elantra is the defendant's vehicle. A chain of inferences from solid pieces of evidence. MOO

If there were other COIs (cars of interest) identified via footage in Moscow, MWT is that LE would have undertaken similar. MOO

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post removed. Fox News is no longer an approved source at Websleuths> So why would PA grant the sharing order to LE in ID if there was absolutely nothing tying BK to this case?

This is interesting to me, I wonder if we'll hear anything more or if whatever is developed will be sealed by the gag order. I think it will be.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post removed. Fox News is no longer an approved source at Websleuths> So why would PA grant the sharing order to LE in ID if there was absolutely nothing tying BK to this case?

This is interesting to me, I wonder if we'll hear anything more or if whatever is developed will be sealed by the gag order. I think it will be.

MOO
You know my mind goes to some pretty crazy places of speculation, so when I saw this sharing order, I thought maybe BK did have a solid alibi that night. He was home with his parents, his phone was at his parents, and he was using his phone during this time, online stalking WSU and U of I students...

How easy would it have been for him to find SM activity for current students, like any of the victims? He knew he was moving to WA soon, so why not? I'm not even saying he was already planning the murders, but he could have already found one of the girls online. Jmo.

MOO

I agree, it is likely connected to the BK case, but related to things that happened while he was in PA with his parents during the winter break. The family of Dana Smithers have stated that they don't believe BK's parents' being called by the GJ to testify has anything to do with Dana's death, and local LE have said the same thing.

So if a crime was committed in PA and that is what the GJ in PA is investigating, then the crime was likely committed by BK. And potentially related to the case against him in Idaho. Hence the judge's decision to allow the sharing of information.

Cleaning your car isn't a crime, so it's not likely that. I posted awhile back that I wondered if it could be related to the firearms that LE seized during the raid on the parents' home while the arrest of BK was underway.

There are lots of possibilities, I guess, but all just speculation until we learn more.

As a few someone's posted above thread, he was likely receiving in-state tuition with his TA position. IF that was the case, proving residency earlier was unnecessary. So, like many people, he may have just waited until it was time to renew.

This is incorrect, according to both WA law and WSU rules about tuition BUT, as @Nova and others have posted, professors have great leeway in calling back their second year students and remediating residency problems if any. He would have lost his second year tuition break if he did have the proof of residency items (usually more than one needed; he could have filed taxes - but the problem is, one typically does not file taxes for 2022 until 2023, and the proof of residency is intended to begin in the first semester).

Which is why it was not smart for BK to alienate his first year supervising professor, who could have used many more things against him, if needed (going into the second year).

While BK did not do all the steps indicated in the program's materials to establish residency in a timely manner, most grad students can still get help from a professor who will write an excuse for them (as opposed to trying to fire them; if the professor sees that some of the rules were ignored AND the student is a social rule breaker, behaviorally, they are not going to urge the Registrar to amend the record - students themselves have no ability beyond providing proof of timely compliance, which if they've missed deadlines, must be rectified by someone with standing to attest to the residency).

He was getting in-state tuition the first year, with the proviso that he do the steps necessary to properly establish residency. One miffed professor who points out that he didn't do it properly could have made sure to point out the error to the Registrar.

You're right about him behaving like many students do (the best ones get things done on time, IMO). But, it costs money to re-register and many students stall it. Campus police are almost invariably lax about these things. And, while WA wants re-registration in-state after 30 days, if one insists that one's legal address is still the parental home, then there is no intent to establish residency and the plates can go unchanged. One then pays taxes in the home state (reporting income from out-of-state while maintaining residency).

This will change FAFSA status as well. I get the feeling that BK didn't really care about such simple rules and, well, he ended up getting booted on other matters.

All imo.

People are giving BK far too much credit. IMO Turning his cellular connection off was 110% an amateur move.

And I’ve taken plenty of college courses (some part of certificate programs though I was not pursuing) where I knew much more than the professor did. This is especially true in areas where the technology and science is ever evolving. (Edit: I also work with programmers fresh out of CompSci programs at really good schools who haven’t learned the libraries or tools they need to be successful on the job.)

IMO Exploiting BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) forensically probably wasn’t part of any of his curriculum. The reports that LE might have found an exploit to use as evidence caught everyone by surprise. Prior to that it was something that had only been cited in obscure tech security research papers. The technology that you hear that retailers use to track you in stores are purposely built to hold that information. A smart speaker uses it as a convenience and mostly in temporary memory.

Also IMO it was likely one of the FBIs protected methods that they’ve been researching for awhile. As it takes an extreme amount of expertise to exploit a feature like that. I really can’t think of any other case where they used handshake evidence. So I highly doubt they were teaching it when BK earned his certificate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members